Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Movies TV Shows Books Comics
Dr. Who - a show for the truly decrepit Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like Dr. Who?
I don't like anybody.
5%
 5%  [ 15 ]
Didn't he have something to do with pledge drives?
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
I don't watch medical shows.
2%
 2%  [ 7 ]
I heard he went crazy and lived in Obi-Wan's attic.
10%
 10%  [ 31 ]
Sure. Lots. Now gimme my poll gold.
24%
 24%  [ 74 ]
Exterminate! Exterminate!
56%
 56%  [ 168 ]
Total Votes : 300

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:03 pm
Well, Dr. Who isn't much on the outside.

It's a show about a time-travelling do-gooder who uses his flamboyant perspective and weird scientific knowledge to defeat monsters and tyrants. He usually has a human companion along to keep him in check.

Just an adventure show, there you go.
It's the fun little details and idosyncracies that make the show, fun, though.

Like the fact that the Doctor started out, half a century ago in the early 60s, as a really crotchety old man with a time machine that, at first, seemed really advanced and was later revealed to be a shuddering P.o.S.

Like the way they kept the show going by capitalizing on the Doctor as an alien being and simply replacing his actor with a new guy every time the last lead quit or got too ill to continue. When ever the Doctor gets killed in the show, now, he "regenerates" and a new actor takes over the role... usually taking the show in an interesting new direction.

And then there's the Daleks. They pretty much are the sweet, sweet candy of the show. They're some of the goofiest-scariest sci fi villains ever created. Although depicted as a deadly force of genocidal evil through-out the show, any child can usually think of seven ways to defeat one the moment they appear. (I think it's cheating to get rid of their obvious deficiencies, by the way. Much of the charm of the Daleks lies in their absurd vulnerability - both from a child's need to feel capable and comforted in thinking of clever ways to defeat such a force of evil and from an adult's delight in both the mayhem they perpetrate and the eccentricity of their goofy menace.)

In fact, Goofy Menace sums up a lot of what I like about Doctor Who, coupled with unabashed cheap shots, eccentric leads and pretty decent writing even in some of the worst financial binds.

Okay. I'm done.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:37 am
*applauds*

That was a great summary. But you forgot that the aforementioned PoS (bless her slightly telepathic heart) is only marginally under the control of the Doctor at any given time (although Tennant seems to have more or less got the trick - give or take stops in Victorian Scotland rather than punk concerts).

"Oi, Professor! 30-second penalty!"

DW  

Warnersister

Jadrianna72

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:43 am
we have seen every surviving episode of every doctor there is!
bbc america is just now showing episodes we saw almost a year ago (online), but we are waiting for more!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:45 am
Jadrianna72
we have seen every surviving episode of every doctor there is!
bbc america is just now showing episodes we saw almost a year ago (online), but we are waiting for more!
gonk Jelousy!  

Mrs_Black_Bear

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:17 pm
gonk Intense jealousy! gonk

I can't get BBC America through the cable service in my part of town!
Fortunately, I'm moving soon, but still: gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:07 pm
I've only ever seen Tennant.*shot*
Seriously.
The first time I saw it was on the american cable sci-fi channel, sometime two years ago.
Tennant.
I'm addicted to Tennant's Doctor!
But now there are rumors that he's not coming back?!
And I haven't seen a single mention on Sci-fi channel yet about new episodes!
I'm dying!  

connielass

2,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:25 pm
It is sad to suppose such a state. I've grown very attached to Mr. Tennant.
But I like the show a lot and I hope it survives the charismatic Mr. Tennant moving on to... well, I won't say bigger and better things, but I will say... more personally-rewarding projects.

By the way, I guess it's time to bring up the Doctor Who Guild here on Geezers, again. It costs gold to join, but there's lots of fellow fans there, many of whom are once and current Geezers.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:29 pm
I think I may have said this before, but I'm too lazy to look right now, I'm looking forward to seeing the new Doctor.
That's a good idea. I lurk in a couple of those guilds, but I haven't join one. Maybe I should look into that.

luckygirl2113

Romantic Sage

lostphrack

Codebreaking Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:20 am
connielass
I've only ever seen Tennant.*shot*
Seriously.
The first time I saw it was on the american cable sci-fi channel, sometime two years ago.
Tennant.
I'm addicted to Tennant's Doctor!
But now there are rumors that he's not coming back?!
And I haven't seen a single mention on Sci-fi channel yet about new episodes!
I'm dying!

Well, we're not getting another full season until 2010, just specials for 2009. Seeing how quickly Sci-Fi rolled out Season 4 though, I guess we could see this years Christmas special by Jan. or so..?

Here's hoping!  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:45 am
Oh I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Season 4 comes out on DVD Nov. 18  

Draconian Pheonix

Dr. Acula

Blessed Bloodsucker

6,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:08 pm
I am just more recently checking out older episodes. First was introduced to the 9th Doctor, and now, there's the 10th. But now...I'm finding myself to being a bit of a fan of the 4th. Not so sure about the last name though.

Anyways, its fun enough that my Dad actually remembers watching Doctor Who on the tv when he was a kid. Love the series.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:14 am
The Beeb have apparently found some previously lost videos of early Doctor eps.

In other news, Amazon.co.uk have dropped the Eccleston series down to £25, which is somewhat more tempting than £40+...

DW  

Warnersister

connielass

2,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:39 pm
Christmas special.
I have yet to see a Dr. Who Christmas special.
::shot again::  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:30 pm
So someone tell us about the new Sarah Jane show!

Did the clown suck or rock?  

Harbone
Crew

Morey27

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:44 pm
We have watched every single episode possible, and listened to all the recreations. Good times biggrin  
Movies TV Shows Books Comics

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff