45%  [ 73 ]
Total Votes : 159

Demona_Darchanjel

10,600 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:53 pm
I'm so happy this thread is going so well, I think it's very important to be able to have civilized adult conversations about such a complicated thing as religion. Keep up the conversations! I hope they will be enlightening!  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:08 pm
I agree, the conversations brought up so far have been pretty enlightening smile I have Theravada Buddhist beliefs myself - I'm not really good in the meditation + extensive reading parts, but I do my best to apply the Eightfold Path, precepts, etc. in my life. This philosophy has helped me through a lot of personal difficulties, including what I felt were the beginnings of BPD and overall personal growth in general.

My family is very open about religions / beliefs so I've encountered a few others with their help as well as delved into a few on my own - including Roman Catholicism, Born Again Christianity, Taoism, Satanism, agnosticism, atheism, Mahayana Buddhism and theosophy. (Is theosophy even considered a separate belief or was that just the name of that magazine - Theosophist's Digest or something like that? My parents were subscribed to it way way back when I was a wee toddler. ^ ^; But as a kid I always liked to read those back issues.)

I am still very interested in what other religions have to say though, too bad I don't have much free time to read things up at my own leisure. ^ ^; I am interested in my stepfather's Jewish roots though (even if he is currently an atheist and shuns his synagogue), and Kemetic Reconstructionism (which I only heard about in this very thread) really got me interested.

there any online sites that people can recommend for quality further reading on these topics, as well as other religions? I usually go to Internet Sacred Text Archive and Free Buddhist Audio for my religion fixes. ^___^  

Sky Opal

Feral Seraph

Ashanlee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:01 pm
I guess you would say i'm pagan, but i personally believe that i lean more towards the old Egyptian beliefs. Mainly because of my life long facination with the coulture, people, and beliefs.
but i like to learn about all types of religion and when i lived up in spearfish was part of a college group called oasis basically our intention was to learn about different religions and to dispel alot of the stereotypes that people have about different religions.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:04 pm
WebenBanu
I'm a Kemetic Reconstructionist- that is a modern revival of the ancient Egyptian religion. There are quite a few reconstructionist religions out there, far more than there were when I first entered the Pagan community. I am interested to see this particular branch of our family tree growing.

As for the Wicca/witch/spellcrafting thing... I used to be Wiccan, and although I was always interested in magical theory I didn't actually practice it all that much. There are two aspects to Wicca in my opinion. That's a gross generalization, but I think that most practitioners will agree that there is the theological side, and the magical side- some are more into one, some the other, and some ride the fence between. *shrugs* We all have our different focuses.

I'd also like to point out that not all witches are Wiccan. A witch is simply someone who practices magic- if you want to get picky, it's generally a term applied to someone who practices some form of European folk magic or a school of magic which is at least rooted in Western occultism. There are quite a few members of the modern Pagan community who identify as witches, but aren't Wiccan.

As for me, however, I don't really consider myself a witch- even though I practice magic on a much more regular basis now than I ever did as a Wiccan. The Kemetic idea of "magic" (which we call "heka") is a little different from Western conceptions of that term- and admitedly, that can sometimes cloud my perceptions of other schools of magical thinking despite my best intentions. I find that, as with many subjects within Kemetic reconstructionism- the concept of heka clicks a great deal more with my worldview than what I've read elsewhere (although I still find other schools of thought fascinating!). Religion and magic are far more intimately intertwined in Kemetic life, for example; I tend to think of heka as simply the science of applied religion. I use what I have come to understand about the world and its workings- both physical and spiritual, since Kemetic culture does not value one above the other- and apply that in an intelligent and conscientious fashion. Ergo, heka is as natural a part of my life as my spiritual experiences and practical personality.

I would like to know more about your religion  

Ashanlee

1demona3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:54 pm
Demona_Darchanjel
Hello all, I'm a 24 soon to be 25 year old who happens to be wiccan in a christian community. I'm curious to see what religions we geezers aspire to, and maybe open up the forum for some open minded discussions on our religion, and to hopefully connect fellow geezers with like-religion minded geezers. Please do not turn this into a religion bashing thread, I want this to be an honest discussion of religions that perhaps informs us of various world views.

As for my religion, I'm an eccletic pagan leaning towards dianic wicca. My patron deities are Athena and Diana.

I'm an ecclectic pagan myself. The boyfriend and our roomate are leaning towards Druidism. The boyfriend, specifically towards Druidic shamanism, emphasis on healing (pre-vet major who hopes it can help him with patients that can't tell him what's wrong).

I'm with you on the religion bashing. I hate when things go from honest conversation to bash fest. You don't have to agree to respect another's beliefs/opinions.

Myself, I lean towards nature witch, meaning that I respect nature and believe that god/s/esses are found in nature. I'm not confortable inside churches for the most part when it comes to worship. I also draw from many religious traditions. They didn't all get it right, but most of them hit really close to the truth on some parts, just like all humans, and all human beliefs. I will say that my biggest irk with religious ppl, particularly Christians is that they think they have to be right. Right is what's right for the person, when peace with god/s is achieved on a personal level. Also, I think the divinity of Christ part is a dumb argument, since it doens't change the message he was trying to get out no matter how he was divine. And that's the end of that hype.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:55 am
Not sure if I have a religion .. I guess it would be Native American-ish If I had to classify it.

explanation : I believe there is a great Spirit ( native American like ) that connects everything together from the earth to the sky to the animals to us and to everything in between. I don't believe that I have to go to church or read a man written book to pray or believe in this Spirit. I have recently found a Native American ten commandments and really liked it , but it reminded me that all religions when you strip away all the stories and writings come down to the same thing that was written in these commandments which further made me believe that no matter how you look at it all religions are the same in one way or another .. I don't know if this makes sense but its is what i believe.

Native American 10 commandments .. ( ifound two versions I like them both )

Version 1 -

1. The Earth is our Mother; care for Her
2. Honor all your relations.
3. Open your heart and soul to the Great Spirit.
4. All life is sacred; treat all beings with respect.
5. Take from the Earth what is needed and nothing more.
6. Do what needs to be done for the good of all.
7. Give constant thanks to the Great Spirit for each day.
8. Speak the truth but only for the good in others.
9. Follow the rhythms of Nature.
10. Enjoy life's journey; but leave no tracks.

Version 2 -

1. TREAT THE EARTH AND ALL THAT DWELL THEREON WITH RESPECT
2. REMAIN CLOSE TO THE GREAT SPIRIT
3. SHOW GREAT RESPECT FOR YOUR FELLOW BEINGS
4. WORK TOGETHER FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL MANKIND
5. GIVE ASSISTANCE AND KINDNESS WHEREVER NEEDED
6. DO WHAT YOU KNOW TO BE RIGHT
7. LOOK AFTER THE WELL BEING OF MIND AND BODY
8. DEDICATE A SHARE OF YOUR EFFORTS TO THE GREATER GOOD
9. BE TRUTHFUL AND HONEST AT ALL TIMES
10. TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS

And there code of ethics are great as well ...

http://www.sapphyr.net/natam/nacodeethics.htm  

Kiana_Pryce

JaydeElf1187

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:58 am
I currently don't have a religion...
I was Christian when I was younger. My mom would occasionally take me to church, but even then everything that they said seemed to just fly over my head. The huge, extravagant church, the songs we sang (that I never learned the words to), even what I read from the bible seemed... superficial, for lack of a better word. Something about it just irked me.

And the older I became, the more I realized that Christianity wasn't for me.

I still carry with me a lot of the moral values of christianity, (as do a lot of Americans I think, due to the way our country/culture is based) but I've taken aspects of Buddhism, Hinduism, and Shintoism and added them to my beleifs as well.

As far as the future goes... the two religions I'm leaning towards taking seriously are Buddhism and Shintoism. Both learn about the world by observing nature and the nature of people, which I already do much of the time. Plus, Buddhism applies a lot of intro-spection through meditation, and after taking a couple of meditation classes (two sitting, one Tai Chi) I've really seen the benefits of looking at oneself intently. Especially as a person with very little self-confidence, among other internal issues.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:28 am
JaydeElf1187
I currently don't have a religion...
I was Christian when I was younger. My mom would occasionally take me to church, but even then everything that they said seemed to just fly over my head. The huge, extravagant church, the songs we sang (that I never learned the words to), even what I read from the bible seemed... superficial, for lack of a better word. Something about it just irked me.

And the older I became, the more I realized that Christianity wasn't for me.

I still carry with me a lot of the moral values of christianity, (as do a lot of Americans I think, due to the way our country/culture is based) but I've taken aspects of Buddhism, Hinduism, and Shintoism and added them to my beleifs as well.

As far as the future goes... the two religions I'm leaning towards taking seriously are Buddhism and Shintoism. Both learn about the world by observing nature and the nature of people, which I already do much of the time. Plus, Buddhism applies a lot of intro-spection through meditation, and after taking a couple of meditation classes (two sitting, one Tai Chi) I've really seen the benefits of looking at oneself intently. Especially as a person with very little self-confidence, among other internal issues.

Bravo on the meditation! You'll find meditation listed as one of the pursuits of many of the so called 'new age religions' that are really old religions... Mediation has many benefits, including a calmer, more centered you. Bravo!  

Demona_Darchanjel

10,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Team Jacob 100

Eiji

5,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:16 pm
I'm a practicing Catholic. I converted after attending Mass with my then girlfriend and having an experience. I had previously been agnostic (although my mother very loosely follows certain wiccan traditions in her own way).

Thankfully, our local priest is an intelligent and non-judgemental man. With his guidance and the support of my (at that point fiancee), I converted Easter 2006. (We got married in October 2006)

I took Benedict as my confirmation name, in homage to a Saint I feel has guided me along the path I have followed. It doesn't hurt that I am Straight Edge and he is a patron against poison! smile

I find the study of the Saints to be an inspiration and a guide to how to be a better person.

I do not judge others and I am always interested in learning about other religions and faiths. The sooner people of all faiths and none learn to work together for the betterment of humankind (and the earth more generally), the better.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:32 pm
I guess I'm classified as a 'born again Catholic'. I was raised Catholic but went athiest before I could get confirmed. I took some world religion courses and really liked many taoist and Buddhist ideals. But then I died and well... let's just say I really believe in God now.  

charamath

Demona_Darchanjel

10,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:45 pm
charamath
I guess I'm classified as a 'born again Catholic'. I was raised Catholic but went athiest before I could get confirmed. I took some world religion courses and really liked many taoist and Buddhist ideals. But then I died and well... let's just say I really believe in God now.

All I can say is wow. Sometimes things happen in our life that become a necessary part of our life, that change our lives forever. Such sacred experiences are important to all in our lives.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:17 am
I'm LDS or Mormon  

ivyisis

Demona_Darchanjel

10,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:34 am
ivyisis
I'm LDS or Mormon

Cool beans, one of my good friends is Mormon. She was my roommate in Nevada when I was going to school there for a year. Sadly I didn't finish school there because I found that I didn't suit my major very well.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:51 am
Demona_Darchanjel
ivyisis
I'm LDS or Mormon

Cool beans, one of my good friends is Mormon. She was my roommate in Nevada when I was going to school there for a year. Sadly I didn't finish school there because I found that I didn't suit my major very well.

Thank you for that. I don't always get a nice response. There was this guy in high school that always called me a devil worshiper (not that that is bad if you are in to it) and I had to threaten to kick his butt before he would leave me alone. scream He was the bible thumping type. I personally don't care what someone believes as long as they don't push their beliefs on me if I don't want them. biggrin  

ivyisis

Serious Conversations

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces