Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Crazy Con Goers: A Rant and Discussion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

No_Pun_Intended

Alien Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:50 pm
Creepers: They're creepy. xD
I was part of a group cosplay at Youmacon last year, and just recently, a friend (who was also in the group) showed me an ~5 minute long video of us goofing around outside the hotel. It was taken by someone we don't know, without our consent or knowledge. oAo Is that creeper-ish?

Hit-and-run Photographers: I'm kinda guilty of this. Sometimes I have a hard time approaching people, especially super-awesome cosplayers, so if someone else is taking a picture, I'll just sneak in. (and say 'thanks for the photo') ><

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:27 am
As much as I could rant about a million different and very petty things I find it's not constructive. (that's not to say that everyone here has said petty things. You guys pretty much filled in my list of complaints already so no need for me to say the same.) with the exception of Elitists.

Oh Jaysis how I hate those elitists.

I've been accused of elitism sometimes and you know what? I am not even remotely close to it. The problem is not that I turn my nose up towards other cosplayers. The problem is that I tend to cosplay monsters or absurdly large and menacing characters and people thing because the character is intimidating that *I* am intimidating. Then they go on about how I ignore people and I'm a jerk etc,etc when their just too shy to come say hello. I was born with a mean lookin face evil but I'm nice guy. mrgreen

Reason why I hate elitist is because if someone comes to talk to me about a costume and I'm not incredibly busy then I'll stop to talk to them. Heck, if I'm eating a sandwich in the cafeteria or something I'll still talk to you. If you want to know how I made a weapon/item/part of a costume then I'll tell you exactly how I made it step by step. Most of them won't even bother giving you so much as a thought let alone a diagram to make the same outfit. They treat it like it's some trade secret that your not allowed to know.

I've known quite a few elitist and alot of them talk to me about costumes and props but damm do I just want to smack them a good one and then yell at them. " Treat people with respect! You want to be a cosplay idol then you need to be kinder to people and help them! Everyone remembers the A-holes when it comes to cosplay and remember that people aren't taking pictures of you but the character. Never get the two mixed." and then stom off. -dreams-

User_1017918

Glacirus

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:40 pm
No_Pun_Intended
Hit-and-run Photographers: I'm kinda guilty of this. Sometimes I have a hard time approaching people, especially super-awesome cosplayers, so if someone else is taking a picture, I'll just sneak in. (and say 'thanks for the photo') ><

I think -everyone- has done something SIMILAR to that. I find it's alright to do it, if there's a decent sized crowd of people already taking the picture. If it's 1-2 setting up a shot, ask. More, then just hop on in.

I.E. - at my first convention there was an amazing pair dressed as Vash and Wolfwood from Trigun, SURROUNDED by people with cameras. I stopped, took a shot, waved and said, "thanks and awesome cosplays" then proceeded on my way to buy a wooden sword to whack my friends in the head with.

I.E. #2 - the latest con i went to (NYAF '09) someone had a massive bumblebee (from Transformers) outfit he made himself. I didn't have my camera, but the man could barely move. A- because there were areas the ceiling dipped too low and B- because he was surrounded by a sea of people asking about the costume, taking pictures, and helping him reach things he was too tall to bend down and grab (damn inflexible stilts razz )

-------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I find the crazies entertaining, so long as they keep their distance and attention away from me. I'm not above joining in on shouting matches...but never Yaoi/Yuri ones. Mainly L/Kira ones... where I start chanting "NEAR!" off rhythm to screw them over (hasn't worked yet. won't stop trying).

Cosplay Elitists, I can deal with unless they're in a crappy cosplay and think theirs is the best, or not cosplaying at all.

Series Elitists, I don't very much care for. I at least gave Hetalia a fighting chance before I saw France rubbing Italy's head and explaining "intercourse" and said to my friends, "I'm going to take a shower now, and never watch this again..." But if you're going "[insert series here] sucks. Cha, I only watch [insert genera/other series here]." then you're being an a**.

Fangirls... Are harmless if you know how to handle them. Just calmly stop, do SOMETHING to signal to their hormone-crazed brains that you are not REALLY the character they've fantasized about, and let them take a few photos. If you MUST, hug them so they will leave. Just don't make it a convincing hug, or they'll cling!

Yaoi/Yuri... I can deal with it. I won't deny laughing to myself as friends were dared into going up to the yaoi vendor and looking at some of the goods. I also won't deny a BRIEF participation in a fake-kiss yaoi moment. It's like fangirls, make your limits clear, and get away quickly without angering or encouraging them.

Staff Griefers, piss me off. If you're gonna b***h to the staff about things they can't control in the convention center, then GTFO the convention, and b***h to the people that own the building. If you're going to b***h about the COSPLAYS and how scantily clad people are dressing, GO LOOK AT YOUR KID'S F-ING SCHOOL!!! $20 says there's some skank walking the halls there with 'juicy' written across her a** or worse. That goes for language too. We were dropping F-bombs in the elementary school lunchroom, so don't flip a sh-- about someone slipping at a con. If they weren't as controlled as they are, they'd be going off like I'm doing right now, at the cons in the peoples faces. (Which is why I'll never work on a con staff. I'd be brutally honest and probably smack a few people upside the head)

....I've run out of rant energy, so I'm gonna drop it here for now. *falls over*  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:10 am
@ Genma: I hate them too! (Yet it's my job to deal with them all day; ironic how that works out.) It's not bad enough that they treat their cosplay techniques like government secrets, but some of them act like the entire convention revolves around them. (See my rant about the hallway hog last page) They seriously need to get over themselves.

@ Glacirus: Don't forget the anime elitists. Those picks who wander around and act like they know everything there is to know about anime and anime culture and yell at everyone for not knowing as much as them. Seriously, where do these guys get off?

Seeing 300+ series does not make you superior to anyone, and it certainly does not permit you to mock people, berate them for not knowing something, or tell people they aren't real fans because they haven't watched a certain series.

I mean, I know some things terms of anime history and culture, and on occasion, I might very politely correct someone, or answer their question should I overhear them. But I'd never get up in someone's face and yell at them because they haven't seen Akria, or called themselves an otaku.

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200

Warkified Chocobo

Aged Conventioneer

8,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:23 pm
The girls who try to steal my boyfriend just because they want to date him because of who he cosplays.

The elitists who don't know when to keep their mouths shut and GTFO.

The people who cosplay s**t just because its popular even though they haven't seen, read, or played any of it just to get attention.

Cam whores, i don't think there needs to be a description about that.

The fanboys/fangirls who claim they love you because you cosplay certain things.

The people who try and talk you into cosplaying 50 thousand things at a single con.

The random non-cosplaying people who think they have the right to insult your costume's quality.

The overly friendly drunks.

The people who you think you can trust, then room with them - and they end up stealing your stuff.

XD wow, i've got a long list of complaints to rant about...i've gone to too many conventions.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:52 pm
3nodding  

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200

sprinklin

Fashionable Ladykiller

5,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:32 pm
As soon as I got out of my mom's car this morning at Inochicon, I had to put my organization xiii robe on. Some guy had the nerve--while I was still pulling it on, telling him to wait--to take a picture. I was very upset that he hadn't even asked.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:16 am
I haven't run into many things that annoy me at conventions... So I only have one. And it's not really that annoying, it was more of a, "Well, I know you're wrong anyway, so... whatever. I'm gonna go buy some pocky heart "

The people who (even though they can't officially speak/write Japanese) think they've translated something right, and won't listen to anyone who says otherwise:

There was this guy at this con who was dressed up as Kenpachi Zaraki (squad 11 captain from Bleach), but the back of his coat had the kanji for "13" in Japanese. I tried to tell him this (I'd taken 2 years of Mandarin, and the kanji and hanzi (Mandarin) numbers are the same as far as I was taught- we went to 99) and he insisted he was right. I didn't get too upset, though. I figured maybe someone else would be able to convince him otherwise. sweatdrop  

jyrotika

5,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100

Spartan1024

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:58 am
Warkified Chocobo
The girls who try to steal my boyfriend just because they want to date him because of who he cosplays.

Yessss.
It's never happened with my boy friend, but I have seen thi happen at cons wayyyy too often. In fact, just this year, two Mikus were chasing around a Kaito.

There is something about cosply that people do not understand. The people they are cosplaying are usually meant to look extremely good. It is fiction, after all. Although, reality can sometimes be harsh.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:21 pm
Fear-The-Bullet
Warkified Chocobo

Yessss.
It's never happened with my boy friend, but I have seen thi happen at cons wayyyy too often. In fact, just this year, two Mikus were chasing around a Kaito.

There is something about cosply that people do not understand. The people they are cosplaying are usually meant to look extremely good. It is fiction, after all. Although, reality can sometimes be harsh.

If theyre just doing it for like a picture or for the lols, then yeah that's ok. But if they're flirting with someone because they're dressed as their favorite character...then yeah...they're a creeper.

I mean, what happens if they actually start dating them? They're not going to be wearing their costume every time they see them, and their "real" self could be very different from the character they're pretending to be.

It's...just not smart. At all.

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200

LiL Moon

Sparkly Lover

9,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:12 am
I've had a few instances with cosplayers being rude to me, but one impaticular scarred me.

I was watching this very popular cosplayer on Deviantart and she said that she was going to a particular con and openly welcomed people to come say hi if they had the chance. I was so excited and actually ran into her the day before the start of the con. I shouted hi to her from across the street and said I was one of her fans online. She only stared at me and asked how I recognized her and so I just told her she is very unique looking so I recognized her face right off. She didn't say anything after that and just turned away from me. confused

I was kinda like...okaaay maybe I embarassed her or something? That was the only excuse I could come up with. The next day I saw her in her cosplay and asked her for a picture. I figured she didn't recognize me since I was cosplaying as well so I told her that I was the one who she saw the day before. I apologized for embarassing her, but she just nodded, yeah okay, and then turned away and ignored me again. mad

I was sooo mad . After the con she posted about how "happy" she was about the people who said hi to her at the con. So then why was she so rude to me? After that, I stopped watching her on Deviantart. Now, I too embarassed to meet anyone I know on there. crying That mainly applies to cosplayers though. I have found that actual "artists" on Deviantart are much more polite when it comes to fans meeting them at conventions then cosplayers.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:16 am
Hmn, I haven't been to a lot of cons yet but I have a few complaints...

One;
People who confuse Tards with Fans and bash you simple because you are wearing a popular cosplay. I'm wearing that cosplay because I like it and the character. Don't come ranting to me about how I'm just a Tard for picking this or that character. Just because it's POPULAR doesn't mean I'm a tard.

Two;
People at conventions who think it is ok to tug and yank at your wig or cosplay outfit. I don;t mind touching but it gets really annoying when someone runs up and yanks at your wigs trying to be funny. Those things are actually really hard to get into place.

Three:
When people run up and randomly take your stuff because they think you'll be happy to chase after them. ><

Four;
PREACHERS! I hate it when preachers and religious fanatics go to cons and bash everyone around them and yell and harass all the yaoi/yuri fan girls and tell them they are going to Hell and that blah, blah, blah.... << They annoy the Hell out of me.

DeathNotes-M-chan

SakuraRico

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:42 pm
We were cosplaying as the Dr. and a Nurse from the hentai Nighshift Nurses, and some people got creepy with us, mainly with my girlfriend, once they found out we were cosplaying a hentai, Especially that specific hentai.

And for my evaluation for the contest, I actually pimpsmacked my girlfriend hard enough for her cheek to swell up a little and inside it was broken O_O

It's all for the love of art <.<  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:32 am
I was staffing a small local convention last summer, and I was on guard duty for the dealers room during the one hour (one hour!) where VIP badges were allowed in and regular badges weren't. I was being polite, and telling regular attendees "Sorry, you've got to wait until 10 o'clock when it will open for everyone" and a small crowd had formed to wait. We were all getting along great, making jokes, counting down together (cause I wanted in, too >>). Then this lady just walks past us all. I said, "Excuse me ma'am, this time is for VIPs only and I see you have a regular badge. You'll have to wait outside for another 30 minutes." She turns to me and says "No, I won't. My daughter has a full day today and she doesn't have time to come in here and look for herself, so I'm going to now look for this list she gave me." and walked to the other side of the room. I followed her in to try to explain how she wasn't allowed, but she ignored me and started looking for her list. I had to go get the President of the convention to tell the lady to get out. The President was also polite, and somehow got the lady to leave, but she was complaining the whole time.
I saw the lady's daughter with the lady later, and she wasn't in cosplay, so I kind of doubt she would never have time... She wasn't in the cosplay contest and the con was tiny, she would have had plenty of open time. >>;

People like that that think they can totally ignore the rules the con has set down because they're somehow "different" or "special" SERIOUSLY annoy me.

La Ahna

6,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

SakuraRico

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:48 am
We were doing bag checks last Kaisen, and in one guy's bag I found this HUGE... ROCK! WTF? I can safely say thing thing weighted at least 7 pounds! When I told him I'd have to ban that rock, the guy almost cried... O_O  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff