Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply HPSG Head Quarters
canon or fic? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

fanfic or canon?
  fanfic ^_^
  canon -.- (can you tell i'm biased? XD)
View Results

Kamikaze Mitsukai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:29 pm
Hm, up tp the 4th book for me. The 2nd one wasn't all that great to me. But I'd pick fanfiction over the original books. I'll read the books, but only for some fanfiction basing.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:57 am
Yea, it was all the HP fanart and fanfics that actually made me decide to *start* reading HP in the first place. But I still don't especially care for her writing. I'll admit I love many of her characters, though. The characters and some of the stuff she writes have so much potential... and yet it seems it is wasted since her writing doesn't realize half of this potential.

Like HBP had zombehs! And necromancy! And I'll admit I have a soft spot for necromancy, so when Dumbledore first mentioned it I got excited. But the zombehs were somewhat of a let-down after that.  

Eol the Dark Elf

Prihe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:52 pm
See, I really don't think that Rowling is as talented as she's made out to be- she came up with some fantastic concepts and characters, but I'm not that big a fan of her style. It's too much 'he said, she said, they went and did s**t they weren't supposed to and got rewarded millions of props for it, yatta yatta...' for me.

However, I really did like the books liek woah up until HBP. Half of me really did like HBP, the other half hated it. I'm too terribly fond of Hermione and Ron. Lets put that out of the way. I could see Hermione with anyone but Ron by this point just because I think their personalities are DISGUSTINGLY uncompatible. No matter what, Hermione will always be too smart for Ron to understand, and Ron will always be too tempermental. The reasons go on. I would personally like Hermione with about 4 different guys or Luna or Pansy.

And Harry and Ginny. Oh Jesus don't get me started on Harry and Ginny.

I do like Harry best with Draco. I do, I do. Or even Ron. Really. I think that Harry and Ginny is one of the most irritating canon pairings I've come across. Not quite on the level of Hermione and Ron (because I can deal with Harry and Ginny if it doesn't get in the way of my other favorite pairings. I personally really really really like Giny with Luna. Like alot.), but still pretty atrocious.

I could go on and on about how much more I like some fanfiction

OBJECTS OF DESIRE

but I won't.

Sum of up paragraphs of rant: Fanon is Lord.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:32 am
I have an incredible dislike for harry/ginny as well  

Ariazella Malin

SerratedSprinkles

5,900 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:43 pm
I like them both...but I think I'd the books much more if there was slash in it.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:41 am
I have always looked at it as Fanfiction is...FAN-fiction, it's not real, it never will be. I mean face it, with Harry Potter there are how many ships? And JK can only work out a few of them, so only a few people can be right. When I first started reading fanfiction it was Ron/Hermione because I knew that was going to happen and I wanted to read until it did. Then somehow I fell into H/D and I love it, I think some people have written it very well, but overall I like Post-Cannon fic because it allows for Cannon and fanfiction to exist at the same time. Cannon is important, even if your ship is sunk, it is all based on Harry Potter and you can't disregard that.  

JeanneApple

HellsBitch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:38 am
Fanfic, definitely.

I just really dont like the way the books are written anymore. When I was a kid, I love the story-teller mode she wrote in, but now that I'm 17, its... kinda childish in my eyes. The books arent written for the ages the characters are, but for little kids, 6years and up. I have read so many fics where I just cant let go of it because it is so well written. I'll agree with Leather and Libraries, that it is a lot with 'he said, she said'. Often when I dont read it in my own language first, I'm like "Who's doing that?" because of the 'he/she/it does' thing.

Another thing is the pairing. Harry and Ginny?! I mean, come on! And the way she descriped the feeling Harry got everytime he saw hr with Dean or whoever it was. I was so... furious. If it hadnt been my friends book, I'd seriously have marked all those places with black tusch so I wouldnt have to read it again. I'd rather see Harry with, say, McGonnagal than Ginny (Really gross, but thats just me...). I just cant stand it.

And the stuff she wrote about how Harry and Ginny *Shudders at the thought of them holding hands* agreed that they couldnt stay together for her safety?! Had it been real love, she'd have insisted upon being at his side no matter what. Draco would have done that. ...I hope... Harry and Ginny just dont match. At all. But on the other hand it didnt surprise me that they ended up like that. She was kinda leading everyone on with Harry always thinking of her...

Meh, I just hate it. I'll stick to my homosexual pairings and let that be that.

Harry and Voldie forever!!!!!!
No, I'm not kidding.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:37 am
I haven't re-read the books in a while, and I usually only read fanfiction when I'm in the mood for some really good fluff. heart  

Adri Neru

Hallowed Hunter

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hygienic 200

Crystal Lips

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:24 pm
I prefer most fanfiction to the actual stories, I personaly find Harry annoying in the halfblood prince  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:59 pm
Ex-Professor Remus Lupin
I am prepared to full accepted Samvimes version of Harry Potter over all other version due to Draco not being a mindless little Daddy's boy, Harry not being a OMG!!11UISEVEL Dumbledore lover, Sirius not being a Prisoner of Azkaban, and Remus not being all alone. *huggles Stealing Harry, Stories from the River House, and Laocoon's Children* Can they be canon Mommy? Can they?

You are my hero. OMG.

On a side note, I actually enjoy most of the books (besides the second/fourth) but I have to agree that Sam does a much better job of telling a story. Again, you have to keep in mind that these stories were designed for children, not adults, and as such, JKR ... simplified things a bit. Her chief problem is not using different perspectives to gain better insight into her characters. It's a simple, useful tact when writing about multiple characters and she's really the only popular author I read who doesn't do that. (Besides the little bits we get at the beginnings of a few books.)

Laocoon's Children should be canon. It reads better than it, it's more believeable, and it's just plain more real. Admittedly, I don't like what he's done with Draco (I likeses my Draco cruel and angry.), but it's worth it to see some inter-house relationships.

*drops two cents into jar*  

munineye

sagirafire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:25 pm
luff j.k rowling for creating the series...but now im going to hunt her down and kill her with a spork. she killed my love for cannon with HBP. it sucked. i read it once, the night it came out. haven't hardly touched the damn book since. im definetly with the fanfictions. tis all i do all night. several times my love for slash fics have kept me up till 4am....when i hav to get up at 5:30 for school. sweatdrop but u can't just stop reading....lol

harry/draco slash: my anti-drug whee  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:11 pm
I loved book one through five... but then either JK died and was replaced with a robot or she just started to suck massively... I prefer fic biggrin

I read 1-5 about 30 times each... but HBP once... I think that says something dont you xd

Piker

voice of reason for all

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:35 pm
I prefer fanfics becuase I love my HP Slash. heart The only book I've bothered with re-reading a hundred times is the third one since it's my absolute favorite cause Sirius/Remus was introduced to me and it's made me the obsessive Remus/Sirius fan that I am today. I just read the books to see if Sirius will come back and what's happening with Remus, and Remus/Tonks gonk xp It was a cute scene when she said that she didn't care about him being a werewolf and all but I prefer Sirius/Remus and slash in general all the way. I swear... J.K. rowling better bring Sirius back or at least mention something about the veil. I hated the 5th book because of that and I've never reread it again. So anyways, yeah i prefer fanfiction. So much so that I don't reread any of the books anymore.  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:41 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

skittypunk

Asthen

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:35 pm
I liked books 1-4, but after that, give me fanfiction, plz. I think I might've grown out of Rowling's way of writing, or the plot in the books just isn't interesting anymore. Not to mention the fact that I cannot STAND Harry/Ginny. And Rowling can't write romance, period. It was horrible..  
HPSG Head Quarters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff