Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
CrissAngelLover animal update thread *update and question* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:05 pm
Akari_32
CrissAngelLover12345

I still have my BN pleco in there...though she doesn't seem to have it...so it might have been the food, he might have decided to eat my BN pleco's food. His symptoms were that of dropsy, so that's why I'm pretty sure it is dropsy he had... I miss him...

I ended up having to wait until today to do it... my mom didn't get the stuff I needed for it yesterday... sad He's no longer suffering now, though...

Oh, with the BN in there, then just do your water changes. If he's not showing any signs of it, then I wouldnt be worried, honestly. Dropsy isnt usually something you can help, just make the fish more comfortable.

Ok. Is there any period of time I should wait before getting another betta? I do want another one (also, my dad would be irritated about me having bought the frozen food for bettas, and then have the betta die, and not get another one, leaving the food in the freezer, he was irritated when I brought the frozen food home in the first place)...  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:12 pm
At least a week, though 2 would be better. During that time, watch the pleco and make sure he doesnt start developing it. If he does, then it is something you can help, you should by meds, as its probly bacterial or something. But I've had a divided 10 gallon, and had one betta get Dropsy, and the others were fine.

Maracyn Two should be available at PetSmart. I think I may have seen it WalMart, too....  

Akari_32

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:26 pm
Akari_32
At least a week, though 2 would be better. During that time, watch the pleco and make sure he doesnt start developing it. If he does, then it is something you can help, you should by meds, as its probly bacterial or something. But I've had a divided 10 gallon, and had one betta get Dropsy, and the others were fine.

Maracyn Two should be available at PetSmart. I think I may have seen it WalMart, too....

Ok. I'll keep an eye on Ace (my BN), and wait for about 2 weeks to get another betta. It'll probably be either a half moon or crowntail. I haven't made up my mind on which one I want.

I've been trying to locate Maracyn two around here. Petco doesn't have it. I think I've checked walmart, but I'll double check (I tend to avoid their fish section because the condition of their fish and bettas depresses me, though I will go there if I need something there), the place I get the Orijen food from has Maracyn, but not Maracyn two, I'll check Petsmart and Walmart tomorrow/wednesday].  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:38 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
Akari_32

Ok. I'll keep an eye on Ace (my BN), and wait for about 2 weeks to get another betta. It'll probably be either a half moon or crowntail. I haven't made up my mind on which one I want.

I've been trying to locate Maracyn two around here. Petco doesn't have it. I think I've checked walmart, but I'll double check (I tend to avoid their fish section because the condition of their fish and bettas depresses me, though I will go there if I need something there), the place I get the Orijen food from has Maracyn, but not Maracyn two, I'll check Petsmart and Walmart tomorrow/wednesday].

Yeah, I dont think I've ever seen it at PetCo. Pet Supermarket may also have it.  

Akari_32

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:06 am
Akari_32
CrissAngelLover12345
Akari_32

Yeah, I dont think I've ever seen it at PetCo. Pet Supermarket may also have it.

I don't know if we even have a Pet Supermarket around here. I'm going to be looking around for the Maracyn two today after class. I hope I can find it.

Edit: I forgot my mom had a dentist appointment today, so I can't look for it today. She's gonna look for it for me while I'm in class. If she finds it somewhere, she's going to take me to the store it's at to get it tomorrow.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:41 am
CrissAngelLover12345
It looks like my parents might be stuck going grain-free with Country and Jonny. We had been trying to figure out what has been causing Jonny to keep licking/chewing on his legs for some time now (beyond the point where they get all bloody... >.<). Ever since my mom got the rest of the Wellness Core dog food from me after Bandit was switched over to Orijen, and it got mixed in with the Kirkland's, Jonny hasn't been chewing and licking his legs as much. We're now suspecting grain allergies (minor from the looks of it). While picking up a bag of Orijen for Tigger, Patches and Boots (my mom decided to get them onto Orijen since it's only a few dollars more than Wellness Core), we looked at the varieties of grainless foods they had there. It looks like she's going to try Taste of the Wild. biggrin Here's hoping it works to stop his chewing/licking himself. biggrin
We use Taste of the Wild for my cats and they love it. Its a really good brand and its the only brand my cats will eat now. Between 4 cats a large dog food dish that isnt even filled all the way last 3 days which is better then their old food that lasted a day.  

xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx

Angelic Vampire

17,900 Points
  • Team Peyo 25
  • That One Hero 500
  • Super Jumper 500

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:46 pm
xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx
CrissAngelLover12345
It looks like my parents might be stuck going grain-free with Country and Jonny. We had been trying to figure out what has been causing Jonny to keep licking/chewing on his legs for some time now (beyond the point where they get all bloody... >.<). Ever since my mom got the rest of the Wellness Core dog food from me after Bandit was switched over to Orijen, and it got mixed in with the Kirkland's, Jonny hasn't been chewing and licking his legs as much. We're now suspecting grain allergies (minor from the looks of it). While picking up a bag of Orijen for Tigger, Patches and Boots (my mom decided to get them onto Orijen since it's only a few dollars more than Wellness Core), we looked at the varieties of grainless foods they had there. It looks like she's going to try Taste of the Wild. biggrin Here's hoping it works to stop his chewing/licking himself. biggrin
We use Taste of the Wild for my cats and they love it. Its a really good brand and its the only brand my cats will eat now. Between 4 cats a large dog food dish that isnt even filled all the way last 3 days which is better then their old food that lasted a day.

Country and Jonny are on Taste of the Wild now. They love it! ^_^

Unfortunately, my dad REFUSES to stop giving Jonny pasta, rice and bread, and he also REFUSES to give Country and Jonny any other treat besides the Ol' Roy treats (which has grains in it, as well as BHA and BHT... and they get 6-7 or more of them a day (a bunch in the morning (used to be used to keep Country from trying to follow my dad out the door when he left for work, it stuck and even when he's not trying to follow my dad out the door, my dad insists they get treats (this morning, Country was perfectly content with getting a belly rub (considering he had asked for one), and my dad was like "get him treats" and insisted that I give country a bunch of treats (though I only pulled out one and broke it into many pieces), the longer my dad takes to get out the door to leave for work from the time mom starts giving out the treats, the more they end up getting, some mornings I swear he takes his time so they get a huge number of treats such that they become a meal in themselves, 4 during our dinner (one a person), some at random periods throughout the day (given to them by dad), whenever someone steps on them (dad insists), and 2-3 before bed time plus rawhide chew toys at bed time), so he's gonna continue having the problems, though at least he's not chewing on himself as badly, but obviously, he's still chewing on himself.... >.< He doesn't care enough about the dogs and cats to listen... He believes the way he was brought up with raising dogs and cats is the right way. He also seems to think that it is impossible to be both healthy and happy. gonk I can't wait to move out so I don't have to deal with this frustration.......... I know he'll never listen to me....... I've pretty much given up........ (besides continuing to be adamant about Bandit, that's not gonna change).......  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:54 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx
CrissAngelLover12345

Unfortunately, my dad REFUSES to stop giving Jonny pasta, rice and bread, and he also REFUSES to give Country and Jonny any other treat besides the Ol' Roy treats (which has grains in it, as well as BHA and BHT... and they get 6-7 or more of them a day (a bunch in the morning (used to be used to keep Country from trying to follow my dad out the door when he left for work, it stuck and even when he's not trying to follow my dad out the door, my dad insists they get treats (this morning, Country was perfectly content with getting a belly rub (considering he had asked for one), and my dad was like "get him treats" and insisted that I give country a bunch of treats (though I only pulled out one and broke it into many pieces), the longer my dad takes to get out the door to leave for work from the time mom starts giving out the treats, the more they end up getting, some mornings I swear he takes his time so they get a huge number of treats such that they become a meal in themselves, 4 during our dinner (one a person), some at random periods throughout the day (given to them by dad), whenever someone steps on them (dad insists), and 2-3 before bed time plus rawhide chew toys at bed time), so he's gonna continue having the problems, though at least he's not chewing on himself as badly, but obviously, he's still chewing on himself.... >.< He doesn't care enough about the dogs and cats to listen... He believes the way he was brought up with raising dogs and cats is the right way. He also seems to think that it is impossible to be both healthy and happy. gonk I can't wait to move out so I don't have to deal with this frustration.......... I know he'll never listen to me....... I've pretty much given up........ (besides continuing to be adamant about Bandit, that's not gonna change).......
Tell him that the dog is allergic to the grains in it and if he wants to kill the dog then keep giving them to them. Sometime you have to use force with stuff like this. I hope that you can get him to stop. My dogs will only eat certain treats but Im going to start making my own. Corn, flour, and wheat are really bad. Rice isnt as bad for dogs since its a single grain. But get treats that have potatoes in it for the carbs. They are better.  

xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx

Angelic Vampire

17,900 Points
  • Team Peyo 25
  • That One Hero 500
  • Super Jumper 500

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:27 pm
xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx
CrissAngelLover12345
xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx
CrissAngelLover12345

Tell him that the dog is allergic to the grains in it and if he wants to kill the dog then keep giving them to them. Sometime you have to use force with stuff like this. I hope that you can get him to stop. My dogs will only eat certain treats but Im going to start making my own. Corn, flour, and wheat are really bad. Rice isnt as bad for dogs since its a single grain. But get treats that have potatoes in it for the carbs. They are better.

He was chewing on himself with Kirkland's and the grains they had in it was rice and barley... Though it could have been the Ol' Roy treats or the table scraps they receive...

The problem is, if I mention ANYTHING about what he gives Country or Jonny, it doesn't matter what it is, he either says "they're fine" and gives it to them anyways, or gets pissed off about it, yells at me for bringing it up, tells me that he has had dogs and cats as he was growing up and he knows how to take care of them. He considers all the research I've been doing as "conventional advice" and refuses to read any of it. I have told them that a lot more information was found since he was a kid, but he doesn't care... It's really hard for me to sit back and do nothing about it (since they aren't my dogs, I can't do anything about it... Since Jonny is my brother's dog, technically my brother could step in, but he doesn't care either... gonk I even informed him that Jonny is likely allergic to grains and asked him not to give Jonny anything with grain in it, but he's not listening, just last night, he was giving him bits of bread crust with peanut butter and jelly on it from his sandwich...........), but there's not a whole lot I can do.........I was able to get him to (mostly) cooperate with Bandit (I'm still having difficulty keeping him from allowing Bandit to beg, getting him to put Bandit in his crate any time ANYONE is eating/allowing me to get Bandit to quit begging while someone is eating, he has it in his mind that begging is something that dogs do and there is nothing that you can do about it, no matter what I try to tell him), and to get that, I had to use his own words against him at the start of the conversation after Bandit had gained 10 lbs in 2 months by saying: "you don't like it when others tell you how to take care of your animals, I don't like it when someone tells me how to take care of my animals, and Bandit is MY dog," to get him to listen to me and cooperate with me on getting the proper care for Bandit. It's hard for me to just sit back and watch him give Country and Jonny stuff that will eventually kill them (with a not so pleasant death at that), and I have tried just about everything I could think of to get him to stop giving that crap to Country and Jonny, but nothing worked... At this point, I've had to pretty much adopt a "he's paying their vet bills and he'll end up suffering the consequences" attitude because of it... I can't wait to move out so I don't have to watch him slowly kill Country, Jonny and Boots with his giving him all those "treats" and all that crap... I also then won't have to hear him try to guilt me into changing my mind on Bandit's care, by claiming that Bandit is sad that he has to go in the crate so much (Bandit loves the crate (he gets super excited to go in it)), when he's only sad that I'm not home. He also has tried to play the "I feel so guilty when I give Country and Jonny a treat and I merely pat Bandit on the head when he comes running." I simply told him that if he can't handle the guilt, don't give Country and Jonny any treats when Bandit is around. I'm not going to cave with Bandit, no matter how hard he tries... And he's not going to cave with Country or Jonny, no matter how hard myself and/or mom try...  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:02 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx
CrissAngelLover12345
xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx
CrissAngelLover12345

He was chewing on himself with Kirkland's and the grains they had in it was rice and barley... Though it could have been the Ol' Roy treats or the table scraps they receive...

The problem is, if I mention ANYTHING about what he gives Country or Jonny, it doesn't matter what it is, he either says "they're fine" and gives it to them anyways, or gets pissed off about it, yells at me for bringing it up, tells me that he has had dogs and cats as he was growing up and he knows how to take care of them. He considers all the research I've been doing as "conventional advice" and refuses to read any of it. I have told them that a lot more information was found since he was a kid, but he doesn't care... It's really hard for me to sit back and do nothing about it (since they aren't my dogs, I can't do anything about it... Since Jonny is my brother's dog, technically my brother could step in, but he doesn't care either... gonk I even informed him that Jonny is likely allergic to grains and asked him not to give Jonny anything with grain in it, but he's not listening, just last night, he was giving him bits of bread crust with peanut butter and jelly on it from his sandwich...........), but there's not a whole lot I can do.........I was able to get him to (mostly) cooperate with Bandit (I'm still having difficulty keeping him from allowing Bandit to beg, getting him to put Bandit in his crate any time ANYONE is eating/allowing me to get Bandit to quit begging while someone is eating, he has it in his mind that begging is something that dogs do and there is nothing that you can do about it, no matter what I try to tell him), and to get that, I had to use his own words against him at the start of the conversation after Bandit had gained 10 lbs in 2 months by saying: "you don't like it when others tell you how to take care of your animals, I don't like it when someone tells me how to take care of my animals, and Bandit is MY dog," to get him to listen to me and cooperate with me on getting the proper care for Bandit. It's hard for me to just sit back and watch him give Country and Jonny stuff that will eventually kill them (with a not so pleasant death at that), and I have tried just about everything I could think of to get him to stop giving that crap to Country and Jonny, but nothing worked... At this point, I've had to pretty much adopt a "he's paying their vet bills and he'll end up suffering the consequences" attitude because of it... I can't wait to move out so I don't have to watch him slowly kill Country, Jonny and Boots with his giving him all those "treats" and all that crap... I also then won't have to hear him try to guilt me into changing my mind on Bandit's care, by claiming that Bandit is sad that he has to go in the crate so much (Bandit loves the crate (he gets super excited to go in it)), when he's only sad that I'm not home. He also has tried to play the "I feel so guilty when I give Country and Jonny a treat and I merely pat Bandit on the head when he comes running." I simply told him that if he can't handle the guilt, don't give Country and Jonny any treats when Bandit is around. I'm not going to cave with Bandit, no matter how hard he tries... And he's not going to cave with Country or Jonny, no matter how hard myself and/or mom try...
I would call the vet and talk to them about prices of things he would have to pay for if he kept feeding him that crap. Diabetes, intestine problems, stomach surgeries, kidney problems, heart problems, Steroids to help with the allergic reaction to the grains. It rounds up to over $5,000 at a normal vets office. But that is just me. Im trying to get my mom to stop feeding my dogs s**t food and giving them treats I dont like. My boxer mix is over weight and my mutt is eating way too much for his size.  

xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx

Angelic Vampire

17,900 Points
  • Team Peyo 25
  • That One Hero 500
  • Super Jumper 500

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:27 am
xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx
CrissAngelLover12345
xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx
CrissAngelLover12345
xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx
CrissAngelLover12345

I would call the vet and talk to them about prices of things he would have to pay for if he kept feeding him that crap. Diabetes, intestine problems, stomach surgeries, kidney problems, heart problems, Steroids to help with the allergic reaction to the grains. It rounds up to over $5,000 at a normal vets office. But that is just me. Im trying to get my mom to stop feeding my dogs s**t food and giving them treats I dont like. My boxer mix is over weight and my mutt is eating way too much for his size.

Unfortunately, I did talk to the vet, not about the prices of the surgeries, but about feeding (and she agreed with me and was very happy about the changes that have been made with Bandit and Charcoal (in her case, it wasn't much of a change, just better food, because she's isolated to my room, I had complete control of her diet and everything from the beginning and never had to worry about anyone giving her anything she's not supposed to have because I'm the only one who ever goes in there, besides my mom for feeding her). I did tell dad what the vet had said, she had said that a feeding schedule is the healthiest, that free feeding and feeding the crap food, the crap treats, and all the table scraps will lead to more health problems and more expensive surgeries, but he still didn't listen... He still thinks free-feeding is the better option... He just thinks his way is the best way period, he doesn't care about what ANY ONE else says, not even the vet apparently... gonk It frustrates me that he claims he loves them, but he apparently doesn't love them enough to stop giving them the crap. It doesn't help that he thinks the only way to win anyone's hearts (including the animals' and his own) is through their stomachs, between his asking "how am I supposed to show [Bandit] that I love him?" when I had banned all the treats and human food (he still gets about 1 treat (and it's Wellness Pure Rewards that he's getting now. biggrin ) a day from me, and that's to put him in his crate, He'll occasionally get another one from me, but typically only 1 treat a day), and his primary interaction with the other animals is with giving them "treats" and table scraps... He seldom pets them or plays with them... He can't figure out why the animals only go to him (and my brother, he's just as bad... I've tried to explain it to him, and he has the same attitude and view point as my dad...) when they want "treats" and they go to me or mom when they want attention.... He also can't figure out why they seem to have a stronger bond with me and my mom... He can't figure out why Boots won't stop hopping up on the bench during our dinner time and begging him for table scraps, when he gives Boots table scraps. He gives him one and then expects Boots to go away, which of course makes the problem worse. I don't know what else to do.............. I'm of course worried about the health of Country, Jonny and Boots (tigger and patches don't get the treats or anything since they too are isolated), and after Boots passes away and Tigger and Patches gets free run of the house, as well as any other future pet they get, I'll be worried about their health too... Unfortunately, there are some people who are so stubborn and selfish that no matter what you or anyone else does or says will help, and he's one of them... All he cares about is himself and his own ways, and if he doesn't get his way or what he wants, he throws a fit/tries to guilt the person into changing their mind (he has seen that it won't work with me as far as Bandit is concerned, so he has mostly stopped trying to guilt me into changing my mind(he does occasionally... He recently tried to guilt me out of having him sent to his crate/in my room every time someone is eating by telling me that Bandit is sad that he is being put in his crate so much (he loves his crate), when he's actually sad that I'm away from home so much (he gets all depressed and mopey until I come home, then he becomes happy again)) until he gets his way again, and he only listens to what he wants to... He'll try to twist random facts around to try to get what he wants (the second time we tried to get the dogs on a feeding schedule, he went and blamed behaviors they have ALWAYS had on the feeding schedules and insisted that the dogs on back to free feeding, then later threatened to send Bandit to the pound if we tried again) If none of those work, then he uses some kind of financial blackmail tactic, or some other threat to get what he wants. He seems to think that the way his parents raised animals is the correct way to do it and he won't have it any other way, at least not without having a fit about it... I am glad that mom isn't going to allow him to put them back on free-feeding when I move out. It might mean that he'll give up on having animals after they pass away because he can't get what he wants, but that will be better if he won't change his mind set...  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:58 am
I got a new betta today! I haven't thought of a name for him yet, and his acclimation is almost done! I have to go shortly, so I'll be posting pictures later! biggrin He's a super delta! He's beautiful! biggrin  

CrissAngelLover12345

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:39 pm
CrissAngelLover12345
I got a new betta today! I haven't thought of a name for him yet, and his acclimation is almost done! I have to go shortly, so I'll be posting pictures later! biggrin He's a super delta! He's beautiful! biggrin

Congrats! Can't wait to see him smile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:42 am
Here he is! He's been happily exploring his tank! He's so small! I tried to get some pictures of him in areas that would show how small he is, but he was moving around so much, exploring his new home that he wasn't in those locations that long lol.He's also eaten with no problem! biggrin I haven't named him yet. Anyone have any ideas?

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

Here are a couple updated pictures of Ace. I figured I'd take a couple pictures of her since she happened to be in a spot where I could lol.

User Image

User Image

I'm gonna get him on a variety of foods right off so he won't become picky and accept only the pellet food. For the pellets, he's getting NLS. I'm going to pick up some betta bugs ( a brand of flightless fruit flies, smaller container than the ones they have by the reptile section, I don't need that huge of a container for only one animal consuming them... They'll still reproduce as long as I keep several in there, so it'll still be good. smile ) for him this afternoon.  

CrissAngelLover12345

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:48 am
Akari_32
CrissAngelLover12345

Congrats! Can't wait to see him smile

Thanks! biggrin  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas