Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply First Year Classes
History of Magic I (1/4) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 52 53 54 55 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:28 am
User Image
Chase Henrick
~ Ravenclaw ::: First Year ~

User Image

"'The more things change, the more they stay the same,' Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr," Chase quoted. He didn't know where that came from, but he felt like the need to explain himself more. So, he continued speaking, "Because the human life is so short... Because history outlives every human being, we are bound to forget our past mistakes and repeat them. If we kept going through the same failed procedures, hoping that it would lead to different outcomes, nothing will change. That is Karr's point of view."

"I don't believe in learning from the past mistakes. It's mere wishful thinking, I think. Or else, after nearly five thousand years, why are humans still struggling over poverty, war, and injustice? Surely, watching the Romans fall would've made an impression. Yet, war, poverty, and injustice are still prevalent throughout," Chase explained, "I also don't believe in history repeating itself. History is 'dead', unchanging, basically. It cannot foretell an event." He looked around the room, trying to see if anyone is confused by his answer.

"However, history does explain the present. It holds all the answers as to why the society is the way it is today. By studying history, we gain a better understanding of today."

User Image

"The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being.
His heart withers if it does not answer another heart.
His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration."
- Pearl S. Buck

User Image

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:37 am
User Image
User Image
Having watched the two Slytherins acting so very ungrateful and undistinguished, Selene found herself surprised. This was her house, the house of the elite. In her household, she would never have been allowed to behave so barbarically. Then, she remembered. She recognized the girl from the Slytherin Table on the day of the sorting. She had rudely refused the gift offered by the elder student; a mistake, in Selene’s opinion. It seemed this girl had a habit of being a loud mouth, rude, and simply barbaric. The only threat this girl could pose, with a mouth like that, would be to the winning the house cup.

Selene noticed as the boy, Matthew Warren, commented on the importance of the study of history. He was proving ore and more intriguing by the moment. He had good breeding, that much was plain. Here, these two Slytherins were making a mockery of her house and this boy, one of the few with proper manners, stood up to tell them just how out of line he thought they were. That was a bold move, then again, men were allowed to be more bold, it was expected, even. She watched as student after student did the same. Selene had to be just a bit more cautious in how she played her game.

”Professor, I apologize on behalf of my classmates and my house for their behavior,” she began, making a motion towards the guilty Slytherins. She knew all too well the importance of a gracious apology, she had made many in her short lifetime. An apology, well placed and well worded could make someone forget nearly any transgression. “The importance of studying history lies in the knowledge of our roots, our identity. When we know where we came from, we can better understand how to be better witches and wizards, how to honor our roots and be encouraged and informed in making achievements in our on lives that will go down in history.”. Her voice flitted over the words, dropping emphasis on "identity" and "roots" making her meaning just vague enough to go over the heads of the students who weren't paying attention. This style of speech was also one of her mother's tricks, it was almost as if she was having a conversation that only those worthy of hearing would pick up on. For anyone listening carefully, they might pick up on the pride the young Gillette had for her own family name and blood heritage. She had often studied her family tree, noting its pristine and pure roots and branches. Yes, when Selene spoke of history and identity, she spoke of blood purity and her own elite standing in the wizarding world, but, she had been training well, she need only remind others whether she stood, not bludgeon them over the head with that knowledge.

--------------

WITH:
OOC:

Thanks to Song of Aoede for graphics.

aliciazee

kiska166
Crew

Devoted Winner

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:11 am

Amanda Davis
First Year: Slytherin

User Image
You Touch Me..
I break you.

Amanda smirked at Shina spoke. "I'm sure there is history behind the things I'm interested in, I just don't really care about finding out the past about it. Also, it's kind of hard to not hate something if I hate it," she stated. "Oh and, if I even do achieve something that gets my name worthy of being put in a textbook, who says I want the next generation to study me? I don't care about being famous. I know some people do, but that's not me," she continued. After a brief moment of silence, Marko spoke, so Amanda looked over at him. "But that's different. Of course we'd have to remember remedies and medicines, but that doesn't count as History. History is more like who found the cure or what cure they were actually trying to find in the first place." Just then, Chase began to speak. I don't care about today, she thought, trying to take in everything Chase just said. "What I got from part of what you said was that there's no point to learn from history because the problems back then still exist today." The next person to begin speaking was Selena. Amanda looked at her and cocked an eyebrow as she spoke to the professor. Is she serious? she thought, ready to just about leave the classroom. "Okay, sure, history can teach us about our ancestors, but they shouldn't impact who you are. You are your own person," she stated, leaning back in her chair. This discussion is getting annoying, she thought, looking up at the ceiling and then back at the students.

wearing

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:20 am
User Image
User Image
"τнε spyιηg scнεмεr"

THOUGHTS: Shut up you arrogant b*tch!

MOOD: Angry

User Image
Okay Matt was getting tired of her. So he struck at her, making sure his next move put her into checkmate. "You are being very immature Amanda and I swear if you continue to pollute and corrupt our house. I will make sure that you will not be welcomed. Now I suggest you sit down, be quiet, and act more professional instead of like a barbaric Gryffindor." Matthew said as he glared daggers at the girl and crossed his arms. More then ready to begin mobilizing his house against her. Hell, he was already concocting a plan for that.
User Image

What makes you happy?

I wonder... what makes you happy...

Does it make others happy, too?

User Image

Commander Aran

6,300 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:31 am
User Image
Chase Henrick

User Image

At the Slytherin boy's mention of a "barbaric Gryffindor", Chase snickered. She would get along quite well with Sam, Chase thought. He didn't say anything, since it wasn't his fight. He would just watch the students battle it out. Though Amanda's comment did make him think. Her pessimistic views on history was getting on Chase's nerves, but it wasn't enough to drive him to speak up. At least, not yet.

Did the problems from the past still exist today? Why, of course. But history could prod people into thinking differently from before. By studying the past, we know of the present, and ultimately drive humanity into a better future. Chase didn't say any of this though.

User Image

His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration."
- Pearl S. Buck

User Image

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:33 am

Amanda Davis
First Year: Slytherin

User Image
You Touch Me..
I break you.

Amanda raised her eyebrows as she looked over at Matthew. Kid's got game, she thought, amused with his threat. "I'm sorry, but Professor Powell said it's an open discussion, and actually wanted me to state my opinion. I don't have a problem with anyone else's, so none of you should have a problem with mine," she stated, trying to guess Matthew's next move.

wearing

kiska166
Crew

Devoted Winner

Dolphina Oceanus

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:49 am
Leonidas Henry Reedling
First Year Slytherin

User Image

Leo shifted uncomfortably in his seat, trying to shrink and hide. He had belatedly realized that he and Amanda had become the center of attention in the room. He hated making a scene. However, he would not let all the fire focus on Amanda. At first, he let the girl do all the speaking, since she was definitely better at it then he was. He just nodded his head in agreement. He remained silent... Until Matthew Warren spoke. Leo shot up straighter in his seat and glared at the Slytherin. Now, he didn't care much for any of the houses, but he knew that for most it was a source of pride to be in one, and he knew that to insult one as disrespectful to the house... "Excuse me, Warren, but I thought this was a civilized discussion. I'm pretty sure that this was intended to state opinions, not hurl needless insults. She never once said anything rude to you, so why should you condemn her to pollution and corruption, when it is in fact you who has stooped to a lower level?" He would never let these disrespectful students insult Amanda as such, especially when she never said anything to them. Besides Fire, she was the closest thing he had to a friend, and he would not let that go. Leo simmered with anger, but was determined not to let it out. It had happened before, and always had disastrous results.

Age:11 | Relationship Status:Single | Injuries/Illnesses: None

Wearing

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:50 pm
Marko James

I may not fully SEE you....
I may not fully HEAR you..

User Image ````Marko was listening intently so he heard most of tge conversation. He was about to say that he thought of history as more the thing, not person then Matt spoke. Marko glared but did not speak over the annoying boy. He Markova was slowly getting irritated. His magic shivering.
But I KNOW you are there.

Ura the rainbow King

Tipsy Trafficker

11,250 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:05 pm
User Image
User Image

Shina's mouth drew tight in a displeased moue. "There are none so blind as those that will not see," Shina quoted. "We cannot force you to enjoy history. We can't even force you to pay attention in lectures, or do the homework, or show up for class. But I thought Slytherin was the house of ambition. How can you build anything without a foundation? For that matter, how can you avoid embarrassing blunders if you deliberately blind yourself to learning?"

Shina turned her gaze to Matthew. "As much of a scene as Amanda is making, your own social blunder just now was both off-topic and better kept out of public forum or rephrased in a more subtle comment. Being so harsh when a professor solicited her opinion, whatever it may be, is not the wisest choice you could make," Shina's tone was gentle, and she had an almost motherly smile as she chastised the boy, but the look in her eyes was scathing.

User Image
((OOC: ... ))

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:17 pm
User Image
User Image
Hearing the girl, Amanda Davis, and the boy who’s name she did not yet know, turn on the Slytherin whom she’d come to eye with interest, Selene felt compelled to stand and say something. Quickly weighing her options, she understood that it would be better, if she was going to make a stand, to do so on Matthew Warren’s side, and what would ultimately be the Professor’s side.

”Ms. Davis, if I may be so bold as to speak for Mr. Warren, ” she started, eyeing the boy and silently asking his permission to continue. “I believe the point he makes has little to do with your ‘opinion’ and more to do with your tone. As a Slytherin, and a student, while you may not enjoy the subject, you are expected to treat your elders with respect. While you may not find the subject matter useful, an opinion with which I do find fault, your actions have brought shame to our house. ”. Selene finished that portion, the girl was, after all, acting simply barbaric and it was reflecting on her house. It simply could not be tolerated.

“As to your other point, Ms. Davis. I have to counter. We are very much of our History. The familial ties that run in your blood dictate certain aspects of your life. You are expected to act a certain way because of who you are. You are a Slytherin, you should desire to bring pride and honor, through your diligence, not scorn through your reckless and rude behavior." she finished, tying the study of history to the girl’s actions might just awaken her interest in the subject. Or, at least, her respect for it.. “Please forgive me if I am out of line, Professor. ” she finished politely, proving that she understood the place of esteem he held in his class. After all, they were all students, he was the Professor. She certainly did not want to seem as if she was out of control. She knew her place in this classroom and did well to remember where she stood. She was an elite, a Gillette, a pureblood and a Slytherin, but she was also a student and a girl.

--------------

WITH:
OOC:

Thanks to Song of Aoede for graphics.

aliciazee

Ura the rainbow King

Tipsy Trafficker

11,250 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:39 pm
Marko James

I may not fully SEE you....
I may not fully HEAR you..

User Image ````Marko heard the word blind and it effected him as if some one had said a racial sler. He turned to look at the girl who had said it, glaring. He did not hear the rest, her voice to soft. "Are you saying. Those that ARE BLIND CANT LEARN?" He asked, his magic sparking slightly. He looked angry and... Hurt.
But I KNOW you are there.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:45 pm
User Image
User Image
"τнε spyιηg scнεмεr"

THOUGHTS: Blah

MOOD: Blah

User Image
A queen! A queen has moved onto the field. Now the real battle begins! Amanda was putting up a good fight and she brings in two more allies. She wasn't giving up, but he'd match her with his own power. Gliding piece after piece he was going to destroy her, crush her.

Eyes of jade moved to stare at the little twerp that didn't stand out very much in his house. He's confirmed that he was an enemy. Matthew would make certain to crush him just like he was going to crush Amanda. So with his knight and rook he struck, right into the heart of the boy's army.
"Are you sure I have stooped? Or are you already as corrupted and pathetic as she? After all, you seem to have sided with her. Thus you must both be of the same level. Below the honor of our house." He said calmly, not dropping his crossed arms as he next moved his jade eyes to stare at the pathetic Ravenclaw who dared to rise a voice to him. He struck at her as well, but just hitting her with a couple pawns to silence her big mouth. "I would kindly ask that you stay out of the business of our house." He went silent as he waited for the pathetic people to continue the little verbal war in this room.

User Image

What makes you happy?

I wonder... what makes you happy...

Does it make others happy, too?

User Image

Commander Aran

6,300 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

King_of_Tarts

Ruthless Man-Lover

9,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:13 pm
User Image

Who's
up for a...

User Image

User Image

User Image

For some reason all the discord was making Ben ecstatic. It had often been said that true genius only thrived within chaos. The best part about it was that the Slytherin members were forming a rift. "A house divided cannot stand," he said to all of the Slytherins that were arguing. History wasn't so boring after all. It was exactly what was needed to spark the crucible of arrogance and pride that was the foundation of Slytherin house. With a slight wink at Matt, Ben continued towards the Slytherin girl, "Just because you don't find something interesting, doesn't mean it's not important. If you learn from the mistakes of others, then you don't have to make them yourself," he ended curtly.

User Image

...little friendly competition?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:55 pm
User Image
Chase Henrick

User Image

Now it's turning into a full blown argument. Although Chase stayed silent, he felt like he should speak up. He turned to the Slytherin boy who just spoke to Shina, "If you haven't noticed, we are in the middle of class, and a heated discussion made public just yells for other students to participate. If this conversation is limited to the Slytherins, feel free to take it to the Slytherin common room." His tone was formal, almost stoic.

He eyed that boy who shouted about "the blind can't learn". His aura threatening and gaze unyielding. Chase knew the boy was half-deaf and half-blind. He put his hand in his pocket, in which his wand rested peacefully. His fingertips brushed against the handle, ready to do something in case the Slytherin decided to do something rash. Chase kept a watchful eye on the boy, not wanting him to hurt anybody.

User Image

- Pearl S. Buck

User Image

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Dolphina Oceanus

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:55 pm
Leonidas Henry Reedling
First Year Slytherin

User Image

The attacks, which had first been aimed at Amanda, now focused in on Leo. He was vaguely aware of Marko joining in on the argument, but that didn't matter at the moment. 'How dare they... How dare they... This was not a place for insults! This was supposed to be a simple stating of opinions. but Warren and his ally Gillette had now started hurling insults. He and Amanda had not insulted anyone!' He suddenly realized that he was shaking. The tremble started in his hands, and if it spread- No, he didn't want to think about it. It had happened before, and must not happen again, not here, not now. He shut his eyes tight, taking slow, deep breaths to calm himself. When he felt safe, he spoke again, "Warren and Gillette, Amanda and I have not said anything intended to harm you. Why must you insult us? And whose place is it to say who brought shame on the house? Aren't Slytherins supposed to stand out, to think differently, to come up with our own ideas?" Then he focused on the boy. His insults meant little to Leo, the orphan knowing that he was little more then a speck of dirt. However, Warren's insults were completely uncalled for. "Warren, it is not a matter of how corrupted I am, it is a matter of your insults being unnecessary, especially with a girl who has done nothing to you. If you have a problem with me, we can deal with it later, outside of class, without Amanda around. And I know that I am not below our house, because anyone deserving of respect will not attempt to crush those who are supposed to be his allies. Leave the Ravenclaws and all other houses alone. If you haven't noticed, we're in the middle of class, where any house is free to watch. If you have a problem with them chiming in, then you shouldn't have started this where they are free to observe." There it was, the shaking was back. 'Must not snap. Must not snap.'

Age:11 | Relationship Status:Single | Injuries/Illnesses: None

Wearing

First Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 52 53 54 55 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas