Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fourth Year Classes
History of Magic IV (1/4) *New Class 8/26* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:41 am

𝕯ominic 𝕸ontague
𝔖𝔩𝔢𝔱π”₯𝔒𝔯i𝔫 π”“π”²π”―π”’π”Ÿπ”©π”¬π”¬π”‘
Fourth Year, 𝔅eater
User Image

A callous hand coiled around the strap of satchel lazily hanging off of his shoulder as he meandered past the door and slithered into a seat a few rows in. He didn’t particularly like this class, mostly because he wasn’t particularly well at remembering facts, figures, dates or names… And, well, mostly because it tended to be just so bloody boring. He withdrew his items and opened his notebook to a random page, pretending to scribble any notes he might be saying, but instead, was sketching a dragon biting the head off of his older brother.
”Errmmmm….” His deep lull filled the silence as he tried to finish drawing the fangs of his dragon before looking up at the professor and blinked.

Crapβ€”what did he say?!
”I erm, eh…. Oh! We studied Nicholas Flamel and his discoveries last year!” …..I think?

╔═══════════════════╗
Height: 5’7” ☣ Weight: 159lbs ☣ Age: 14
History of Magic
β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:57 pm
Do you CARE about me?
Do you THINK I don't BLEED?
Why are you trying to HIDE behind a stupid LIE
When the TRUTH is your EYES
Have you LOST YOURSELF?
Always TRYING to SELL
The PERSON that you THINK you are
You stay ALONE 'cause real's just too HARD

MARINA EUGENIE ALDRED
PROUD HALFBLOOD
SLYTHERIN FOURTH YEAR
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

You say you'll never go that far: Neutral | But you're not who you say you are: I might as well say something... | Your time is up in too many places: Fourth Years | You've got too many faces: History of Magic |
Wearing

Marina was surprised to find the classroom empty save for Dominic and the professor. What had everyone slept in this morning? Or maybe, she was just ridiculously early. Perhaps she had woken up just a bit too early, excited for her classes. Her ears caught her house mate's unsure answer and she had a vaguely amused, thoughtful expression as she slid into the seat in front of him, taking out her textbook. Though history was by no means her favorite subject, she had a healthy respect for it. She might as well contribute, right? "We learned about the muggle witch burnings," she supplied helpfully, speaking up to fill the silence.

You've got your HEART in too many PLACES

Always LAYING the BLAME
You're never ONE and the SAME
Could it be that you're AFRAID to look INSIDE
And find you'll NEVER get it RIGHT
So many SIDES to YOU
Nobody KNOWS the TRUTH
How you EVER gonna keep it STRAIGHT?
Do you WANNA be a MEMORY?

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:57 pm
Every part of my memory
Lives inside a night when you were mine
Round and round
The feeling is beating now
Still running down
It's playing all the time
User Image

User Image Pureblood β™₯ Dating Rose Hall

β˜†Β·.ΒΈΒΈ.·´¯`Β·.ΒΈΒΈ.
Nell walked into the classroom yawning slightly having risen a bit later than her roommates. She had enough time to gather her books and get dressed but barely any to actually eat so she was also a tad hungry as well. And seeing that History was first she had a feeling she would be catching a few zzz's in no time. Coming in she immediately noticed that there was only a few of them in the classroom and with a silent gulp saw that it was Marina and Dominic. Seeing that the walls were still in tact, tables still standing, and no one being rushed to the infirmary for burns she had to conclude that both were too tired to actually start a fight. Or maybe because Mari's dating his best mate they'll actually get along she thought hopefully....
Well, one can hope Thought in mind, Nell took a seat next to her best friend hearing the professor ask about what they had learned the year before. She wracked her brain for a few minutes letting both Slytherins answer before finally remembering. "We also learned about Newt Scamander who's a famous Magizoologist and the author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."
Β·.ΒΈΒΈ.·´¯`Β·.ΒΈΒΈ.β˜†

Wearing: Uniform | Where: History Classroom | With: Marina and Dominic | Thoughts: Oookaaay | OOC:

I am the DJ
And you are the record that I play
And when I scratch the surface
Does it still make you nervous
I am the DJ And you're still my favorite mistake
So when you get that feeling
Keep dancing Keep dancing

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:30 pm
User Image
Adalaide Blythe
Daughter & Sister // Fourth Year Hufflepuff // Wearing in the History classroomspace
CURRENTLY // single // crushing // lovingspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Nell and Marinaspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Tired, happyspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'It's nice to be back...' spacespac

'Cause I'd get a thousand hugs
From ten thousand lightning bugs...'

═════════════════════════════════

Ada entered the room smiling, her expression tired, but happy. She'd missed school, missed having things to do all day besides take care of her brother. She saw Marina and Nell seated in front of Dominic, and took a seat one away from fellow Hufflepuff, wanting to leave a spot next to Nell for Rose, and one next to Marina open for Damien. She smiled a bit at that thought. Who'd have seen that coming? Still, it was nice to actually be making space for the boy instead of hoping to high Heaven that he didn't sit anywhere near her. She listened carefully to the lesson, not overly interested since it was a review. She hated reviews... they always got in the way of learning new things! But, then again, some people didn't really remember much after a whole summer away. Actually, she was sort of surprised that Dominic had ever remembered anything to contribute. She sat quietly, wondering if the professor wanted more details on what they'd learned. The others had really just given the broad topics, they hadn't really offered any information... that wasn't really much of a review. Still, she stayed quiet, unsure of what to do.

'As they tried to teach me how to dance.'

User Image

(( OOC: ))

Monday: Potions Tuesday: Transfiguration, Alchemy Wednesday: Art, Charms, Divination, Mythology Thursday: Care of Magical Creatures, Ghoul and Ghost Studies, Herbology, Astronomy Friday: Defense Against the Dark Arts

User Image
Damien Warren Edgeworth
Son & Heir // Fourth Year Slytherin // Wearing in the History classroomspace
CURRENTLY // single // crushing // loving Marina Aldredspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Marina, Nell, Ada and Domspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Nervousspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Oh, God, let there not be any stupid grins or squeals...' spacespac

'I know you don't like how I feel,
but please, try to remember,'

Damien entered the classroom and quietly took a seat next to Marina, happy to see her, offering a smile, but not overly excited about the sheer amount of Hufflepuffs sitting with her. Two was far too many for his liking, especially since it was Adalaide and Nell. The two of them had been rather loud, and he was expecting all sorts of silly smiles from the two of them this lesson. The way they'd reacted to his and Marina's dating... it'd been incredibly over the top, and it made him nervous. Marina was right... being in that house must be incredibly exhausting, what with the sheer amount of smiling and giggling and making friends. Did they ever have any time alone? He doubted it. Social butterflies, the lot of them, even the quiet ones like Ada. He glanced back over his shoulder at Dom, offering a smile and a nod in greeting. He almost wished that he and Marina had sat on the same row, leaving a spot for him in between, so he could sit with both of them, but Marina was his... sort of girlfriend, he thought. After all, he hadn't technically asked her as of yet. But he was going to. As soon as he knew she wouldn't freak out. He half-listened to the lesson underway, not terribly invested. He already knew everything they could say, after all. He'd been here last year.

'It's natural for a thing like me...'

User Image

Monday: Wizard Law, Potions Tuesday: Transfiguration, Alchemy, Ancient Studies Wednesday: Charms, Mythology Thursday: Herbology, Astronomy Friday: Defense Against the Dark Arts

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50

kiska166
Crew

Devoted Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:08 pm
User Image

I'll be your soldier, fighting every second of the day for your dreams.
So don't stress, don't
cry, we don't need no wings to fly.

Cameron was relieved that the other students answered Professor Powell's question, so he did not have to. He took note of how many Slytherin and Hufflepuff students showed up before either of the other two houses before sitting down in a random spot.

As long as you love me, we could be starving,
we could be
homeless, we could be broke. As long as you love me.

Format by XxXDevil-Chan

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:43 pm
User Image

User Image

Now where did I put that wand?

Grayson walked into the classroom, ready for another day of class to start. Taking a piece of chalk, he quickly wrote on the board. He then turned to face the class.

Professor Powell
Ancient Egypt and Greece

"Today, we're going to be examining the ancient cultures of Greece and Egypt, and how they used magic. Specifically, we're going to be focusing on several points in ancient history to really get a feel for how they must have interacted with not only the world, but also with Muggles.

"In truth, ancient wizards and witches worked together with muggles, and muggles didn't fear them. Wizards were held in high esteem in that time period, and evidence can be found throughout the ancient world of interaction between the two groups. This particular piece,"
he said, gesturing to the stone tablet that was displayed, "is actually a replica of another tablet that had to be removed from a dig site, as it clearly demonstrated several instances of real magic being performed, such as the curse that was placed on the tomb that this tablet came from.

"There were several notable wizards and witches during this time. Circe was a Greek witch that specialized in transfiguration, and was well-known both in the wizarding world as well as in the muggle community for turning sailors into pigs. There was another named Andros the Invincible, who was well-known for producing a patronus the size of a giant, for which he gained his title. There was also Mopsus, who was a Seer and defeated his rival in a competition of their powers.

"Most wizards and witches worked with muggles on numerous occasions. In Egypt, you can see the evidence for it in the tombs of rulers, as evidence of skeletons warped by magic have survived. These individuals probably ran across the curses ancient wizards placed to protect such sights from graverobbers."

Grayson looked around the room, studying each student before continuing. "Please feel free to ask any questions, or to make any comments. While I know that everyone here might not be interested, at least some of you might be."

----------------------------------
State: Teaching
OOC: ...

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:42 pm
User Image
Adalaide Blythe
Daughter & Sister // Fourth Year Hufflepuff // Wearing in the History classroomspace
CURRENTLY // single // crushing // lovingspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Professor Powell/color]spacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Interestedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Why can't we get along anymore, then, if we used to do it so well?' spacespac

'Cause I'd get a thousand hugs
From ten thousand lightning bugs...'

Ada entered the room and, seeing no one else had arrived, sat in the same spot as last time. She listened carefully to the Professor's lecture, taking careful notes. She liked this lesson, thought History was incredibly interesting. She also liked that apparently, ancient Greek muggles had actually liked their magical counterparts. It was a nice change of pace to be hearing about someone who'd approved of them. She raised her hand. "So, why do you think that there was such a change in relations between Muggles and Wizards? If they worked together, why did it change? I know the usual answer is that Muggles were afraid of magic, or jealous, or whatever, but if they got along so well before, what happened? What made them afraid?" Ada had always considered the subject of magical/muggle relations something of a touchy one, being a halfblood and all. Her mother's family had accepted her Aunt Hanna, had accepted her father, so why couldn't more Muggles do that?

'As they tried to teach me how to dance.'

User Image

Monday: Potions Tuesday: Transfiguration, Alchemy Wednesday: Art, Charms, Divination, Mythology Thursday: Care of Magical Creatures, Ghoul and Ghost Studies, Herbology, Astronomy Friday: Defense Against the Dark Arts

User Image
Damien Warren Edgeworth
Son & Heir // Fourth Year Slytherin // Wearing in the History classroomspace
CURRENTLY // single // crushing // loving Marina Aldredspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Professor Powell and Adalaidespacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Calmspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'I wonder if he'd be interested in Professor Harlowe's mother's book...' spacespac

'I know you don't like how I feel,
but please, try to remember,'

Damien, deciding it would probably happen eventually, and that it might as well be now, went ahead and sat next to Adalaide when he saw that she was the only other student to arrive thus far. He offered her a simple smile before pulling out his supplies to take notes. He listened with interest as the professor detailed the relationship between Muggles and Wizards in the ancient world. His ears perked. He'd just read a book that Professor Harlowe's mother had written on the subject (and been pleased when reading to discover that he'd been right; she was a halfblood). It'd mostly been about evidence of magic being present in Muggle Mythology and whether or not some of the so-called myths might actually be historical fact written off as stories because of magic, but it did touch on how Wizards were perceived in their cultures. He raised his hand. "I just read a book in the library that talked about how modern Wizarding society views people who choose to study Divination, and people who claim to have the Second Sight, as being foolish, but in most ancient muggle cultures, they were treated as if they were second only to the Gods." He'd thought that bit was particularly interesting. He also thought it was interesting how, since in those ancient cultures, those people were in plain view of muggle society, there were now muggles who claimed to be able to tell fortunes and see the future as well. He snickered a bit. Muggle see, Muggle do. It was a sentiment that many purebloods expressed. One he couldn't help but consider to be true. After all, there was plenty of evidence to support it.

'It's natural for a thing like me...'

User Image

Monday: Wizard Law, Potions Tuesday: Transfiguration, Alchemy, Ancient Studies Wednesday: Charms, Mythology Thursday: Herbology, Astronomy Friday: Defense Against the Dark Arts

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:35 pm
Do you CARE about me?
Have you LOST YOURSELF?
Always TRYING to SELL

MARINA EUGENIE ALDRED
PROUD HALFBLOOD
SLYTHERIN FOURTH YEAR

You say you'll never go that far: Neutral | But you're not who you say you are: Unlike my family...| Your time is up in too many places: Ada and Damien | You've got too many faces: History of Magic |
Wearing

Marina was pleased to find her friend and boyfriend sitting with each other. With a slight smile she joined them, and then her attention was preoccupied with taking notes at a furious pace in her usual messy scrawl. Only when she was done did she actually reflect on the subject. Her own family was a great example of poor muggle and magical relations. Her grand-mere refused to even speak about her daughter being a witch, her aunts were wary of her and her parents, like they might start turning people into toads at any moment, and her cousins and uncles were completely clueless. She didn't even dare put a hand near her wand when she was with her extended family, unless she wanted to listen to her stern grandmother mutter "Pas dans ma maison," and give her mum a reproachful look.

Always LAYING the BLAME
So many SIDES to YOU
Nobody KNOWS the TRUTH

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:35 am

𝕯ominic 𝕸ontague
𝔖𝔩𝔢𝔱π”₯𝔒𝔯i𝔫 π”“π”²π”―π”’π”Ÿπ”©π”¬π”¬π”‘
Fourth Year, 𝔅eater
User Image

A bit more relaxed, a small smile was still woven on his features from his night with Gracie under the moon and rain in the covered bridge just above the clock tower courtyard. For, just about perhaps the first time in this class, he’d actually taken notes (real ones too) not just jumbled words of key phrases surrounded by doodles and sketches of what others would probably just consider a blob… or a rock. But when Adalaide’s curiosity had breached the lingering silence, and then Damien’s response… Well, he couldn’t help but offer his own opinion. Human nature, wizard or muggle, was still the same…
”I think it might have been because of religion, and it’s change throughout the century, but, mostly, I think it could have been jealousy and greed, not just on the muggles part, but on the wizards too.

β€œAside from some muggles hoping to take advantage of a wizards magic, I think wizards were starting to get jealous that muggleborn children were seemingly getting magic from no whereβ€”I’d read in a book that around the 1700’s, it was a noted speculation that the muggles had somehow been trying to steal magic. But that’s impossible really…. In the end, human nature always wants what it can’t have, and I think that’s what might be what mostly drove the two parties apart and forced the establishment of the Statute of Secrecy… Y'know, with the witch hunting and all...”

╔═══════════════════╗
Height: 5’7” ☣ Weight: 159lbs ☣ Age: 14
History of Magic
β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:41 pm
User Image

So don't stress, don't

Cameron smirked in thought. It was weird thinking that muggles were aware that wizards existed, and not only that, but worked together. Any muggle who found out he was a wizard just had a bigger incentive to pick on him. He hadn't had anything to add to the discussion, or any questions, so he listened to his peers' questions and comments after scribbling notes all over the parchment.

we could be

Format by XxXDevil-Chan

kiska166
Crew

Devoted Winner

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:45 am
User Image
User Image

Now where did I put that wand?

Grayson walked into the classroom with a bit of a hop in his step. He was definitely getting used to teaching, and save for the occasional hiccup, the job was going fairly well. He picked up a piece of chalk and quickly wrote the topic of the day on the board before turning to look at the rest of the class.

Professor Powell
Herpo the Foul

"Hello class. Today we're going to be talking about Herpo the Foul. A most interesting fellow, I'm sure, especially since there's not much on him besides his accomplishments, which leads to speculation as to what else he may have done in his lifetime."

"Herpo the Foul was an Ancient Greek Dark Wizard. He is one of the earliest known Dark Wizards and his work is still a lasting aspect of dark magic to date. He is best known as the first wizard to hatch a Basilisk. He is reputed to have invented many vile curses and was also the first wizard known to successfully create a Horcrux, perhaps having designed the ritual himself. Accordingly, he must have committed murder to split his soul. He is one of the earliest known Parselmouths.

"Now know that's not much to go on about him, but it is interesting to note that as one of the earliest known Dark Wizards, he has attributes today can be reflected as pertaining to dark magic. His abilities as a parselmouth is a good example, as well as the fact he is the originator of the basilisk. Both are traits that seem to be common with Dark Wizards and Witches today. If this conjecture were to hold true, that would suggest that all Parselmouths would be involved in the Dark Arts, which isn't necessarily true. If there are any questions, please feel free to ask, though in this case, there is one that I will not answer, since even I don't know the answer to that."

State: Teaching

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:27 am
Do you CARE about me?
Have you LOST YOURSELF?
Always TRYING to SELL

MARINA EUGENIE ALDRED
PROUD HALFBLOOD
SLYTHERIN FOURTH YEAR

You say you'll never go that far: Neutral | But you're not who you say you are: Wonder who defeated him... | Your time is up in too many places: Fourth Years | You've got too many faces: History of Magic |
Wearing

Marina took very detailed notes from her seat in the front, an attentive look in her brown eyes. If she was going to be hunting dark wizards one day, she needed to know as much as possible about them, right? The redheaded girl raised her hand. "If he created a horcrux he was invincible, right? But he's certainly still not alive today. Who defeated him?" The Slytherin wondered if they'd ever learn about any heroes, and not just the villains.

Always LAYING the BLAME
So many SIDES to YOU
Nobody KNOWS the TRUTH

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:08 am
Take a look at those red lights, green lights, blowin' my mind
I'll show you somethin' if you show me a good time

Wait a minute girl, can you show me to the party?
Wait a minute girl, can you show me to the party?

I'll let you in through the backdoor
I'll let you in through the backdoor, baby
I'll let you in through the backdoor, I'll let you in

𝕰lizabeth β™š 𝕭urke User Image
Fourth Year, π”Šπ”―π”Άπ”£π”£π”¦π”«π”‘π”¬π”―
π”“π”žπ”―π”°π”’π”©π”ͺ𝔬𝔲𝔱π”₯

She figured she might as well at least show up to one of her random core classes, and this week, it was history class. Hell, to be honest, she was bored, and she already found herself walking past the classroom anyway, so she slipped inside and took a seat beside Marinaβ€”maybe she’ll be able to copy the notes off of the Slytherin’s pages without being noticed…

Meh, but once she sat down, she decided she just really didn’t care enough. So while everyone else was furiously copying down notes, she was hidden behind a wall of textbooks and scrolls and busied herself with painting the chip on her nail back to its original luster of bright and bloody red. It wasn’t until Professor Powell’s voice had run clear as a bell in her ears did she finally look up and pay attention. It was the last little breathy description of Herpo, and his known prowess of being a parseltongue…

Biting down on her lips, she tried to remain quiet. ”I heard that all parselmouths can be traced back to being related to Salazar Slytherin… is that true?” She blinked and chewed on her lip.

β™« My voice
---β™ͺHalf Witch-Half Veela
------ β™« In History
----------β™ͺ Contemplative
--------------♬ β™ͺ β™« β™ͺ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:47 pm
User Image

So don't stress, don't

Cameron was at a loss of questions. He didn't think anyone would have any questions after this lesson; however, when two of his classmates asked quite intriguing questions, he learned he was mistaken.

we could be

Format by XxXDevil-Chan

kiska166
Crew

Devoted Winner

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:19 pm
User Image
Keep holding on
'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through
Just stay strong
'Cause you know I'm here for you, I'm here for you

User Image

Rick blinked as he entered the classroom and sat down. Dark wizards. Herpo the Foul certainly sounded just as his name described. He frowned, though. What did the professor mean, a question he couldn't answer? Wasn't he the one that was supposed to know? Drumming his fingers on the desk, he hesitated a bit, then decided to ask. "Sir, how is it that he hatched a basilisk? Were there other attempts before him?"

State: Curious

There's nothing you could say
Nothing you could do
There's no other way when it comes to the truth
So keep holding on
'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through

Fourth Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items