Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:52 am
Hamano Nee-Sama

Oh MY , I love Lolita style a lot , I wanna wear them but its too expensive for me >.< I love Gothic , Wa , Hime , Kuro , Shiro Lolita style! emotion_bigheart

User Image

Yeah, that is a problem. The only thing I own from a Lolita brand is this headband from Baby The Stars Shine Bright. It was on clearance and it was still expensive! But, it was a birthday present to myself, so all is good.

Another problem is the size. I'm a plus size, so even if I get a brand name I would end up modifying it. In the end, it's just easier to make it from scratch. Though I still would like a brand name dress.... emotion_kirakira

Post style by PhallenPixie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:05 am
Rubai Sora

User Image

Yeah, that is a problem. The only thing I own from a Lolita brand is this headband from Baby The Stars Shine Bright. It was on clearance and it was still expensive! But, it was a birthday present to myself, so all is good.

Another problem is the size. I'm a plus size, so even if I get a brand name I would end up modifying it. In the end, it's just easier to make it from scratch. Though I still would like a brand name dress.... emotion_kirakira

Hmm! Everything is just so expensive! And ah , I see thats good. I got a dress thats imported from Japan as my birthday present , though I choose it myself , i love it alot havent got the chance to wear it yet haha

Hmm , I see Yeah the sizes , they always make it so small size , hate it. If I know how to make dress or know how to use a sewing machine , I will make it myself. LOL

Hamano Nee-Sama

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:34 pm
Hamano Nee-Sama

Hmm! Everything is just so expensive! And ah , I see thats good. I got a dress thats imported from Japan as my birthday present , though I choose it myself , i love it alot havent got the chance to wear it yet haha

Hmm , I see Yeah the sizes , they always make it so small size , hate it. If I know how to make dress or know how to use a sewing machine , I will make it myself. LOL

User Image

Yup. I was in San Francisco because the Distant Worlds concert was the day after my birthday. For my actual birthday, I spent the day at Japantown. In this one building, they have BTSSB and Black Piece Now store. Even though I would have had more use out of the Black Piece Now stuff, I got the headband.

I'm actually still learning how sew, but my mom is really good. She's teaching me~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:25 am
Rubai Sora

User Image

Yup. I was in San Francisco because the Distant Worlds concert was the day after my birthday. For my actual birthday, I spent the day at Japantown. In this one building, they have BTSSB and Black Piece Now store. Even though I would have had more use out of the Black Piece Now stuff, I got the headband.

I'm actually still learning how sew, but my mom is really good. She's teaching me~

Oh wow so cool and so good >.< Must be so fun huh.

Ah , I see my mom knew how too but shes kinda not so good now since she have not do that for a long time.

Hamano Nee-Sama

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:52 am
Hamano Nee-Sama

Oh wow so cool and so good >.< Must be so fun huh.

Ah , I see my mom knew how too but shes kinda not so good now since she have not do that for a long time.

User Image

My mom is pretty good. Every so often, my mom would work on some sewing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:24 am
I love dressing up in gothic and admire some classic looks. Though lately I've been finding interest in Bittersweet. I like the idea of keeping the creepiness and wearing darker sweet lolita. I also dress in punk every now and then. I adore SexPotR and Listen Flavor so I mix it up every now and then :3

Bunnyfish Queen

darlindol17

Bashful Cutie-Pie

7,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:58 am
I'm completely new to Lolita fashion, but it's always been something that I've been fascinated by. emotion_kirakira I'm more partial to sweet, hime, and sailor Lolita styles. I've always loved cute yet elegant things, so I'd have to say that hime is my absolute favorite. gaia_crown I've never actually dressed in Lolita fashion, and I have a lot to learn before I attempt it, but I'm excited to begin my journey into this wonderful world. heart  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:39 pm
darlindol17
I'm completely new to Lolita fashion, but it's always been something that I've been fascinated by. emotion_kirakira I'm more partial to sweet, hime, and sailor Lolita styles. I've always loved cute yet elegant things, so I'd have to say that hime is my absolute favorite. gaia_crown I've never actually dressed in Lolita fashion, and I have a lot to learn before I attempt it, but I'm excited to begin my journey into this wonderful world. heart

You should def. check if you have a community near you! It's easier to get started that way, because they could direct you to lolita sales, seamstresses, and indie brands!

Bunnyfish Queen

darlindol17

Bashful Cutie-Pie

7,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:09 pm
Bunnyfish Queen
You should def. check if you have a community near you! It's easier to get started that way, because they could direct you to Lolita sales, seamstresses, and indie brands!

Communities? emotion_kirakira I live in Southern United States, so I'm not too sure that there would any near me, but thanks for the advice! emotion_yatta I'm going to check, and if there are then I'll put my all into this! I might even try to sew my own clothes once I know enough. heart  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:47 pm
darlindol17
Bunnyfish Queen
You should def. check if you have a community near you! It's easier to get started that way, because they could direct you to Lolita sales, seamstresses, and indie brands!

Communities? emotion_kirakira I live in Southern United States, so I'm not too sure that there would any near me, but thanks for the advice! emotion_yatta I'm going to check, and if there are then I'll put my all into this! I might even try to sew my own clothes once I know enough. heart
I'm in NYC, but I know a couple of other girls from the Texas community and upstate cause they come visit us from all over. Just look for it on facebook! That's where the comms. gather. Good Luck hun! If you have any questions about looking for places to shop and stuff just shoot me a pm I know which brands ship international and which brands have stores out here in the states and where to get 2nd hand stuff.

Bunnyfish Queen

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:21 am
darlindol17

User Image

Like Bunny said, get in contact with local Lolita fans. A good place is a convention that has anime involved. It doesn't have to be an anime convention. I actually get my Lolita fix from a comic book convention that is basically half anime/manga oriented. They usually have a panel for J-fashion and Lolita. That's how I found out about one of my favorite styles. I've also befriended a few people who make clothes. And I'm in Arizona! You can also modify outfits to fit the style, which is what my mom and I usually do. My friend even found a Lolita dress in Goodwill!

I would also do some research. The links I provided are good starts. I also have three volumes of the Gothic and Lolita Bible that was printed in America (I think there was only four volumes printed). The Lolita community in America tends to be lax compared to the one in Japan.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:14 am
Rubai Sora

Like Bunny said, get in contact with local Lolita fans. A good place is a convention that has anime involved. It doesn't have to be an anime convention. I actually get my Lolita fix from a comic book convention that is basically half anime/manga oriented. They usually have a panel for J-fashion and Lolita. That's how I found out about one of my favorite styles. I've also befriended a few people who make clothes. And I'm in Arizona! You can also modify outfits to fit the style, which is what my mom and I usually do. My friend even found a Lolita dress in Goodwill!

I would also do some research. The links I provided are good starts. I also have three volumes of the Gothic and Lolita Bible that was printed in America (I think there was only four volumes printed). The Lolita community in America tends to be lax compared to the one in Japan.

Thanks for all your advice. cat_4laugh I'm glad that so many people are so willing to help me out. Thanks everyone! heart Also, America tends to ruin or at least undermine quite a few of the wonderful things that Japan has contributed to the world. But as I intend to move to Japan as soon as I am financially able, it is not a big concern cat_blaugh .  

darlindol17

Bashful Cutie-Pie

7,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:23 am
darlindol17

Thanks for all your advice. cat_4laugh I'm glad that so many people are so willing to help me out. Thanks everyone! heart Also, America tends to ruin or at least undermine quite a few of the wonderful things that Japan has contributed to the world. But as I intend to move to Japan as soon as I am financially able, it is not a big concern cat_blaugh .

User Image

Oh, I don't think it was because it wasn't selling. Tokyopop was the one who printed the English version of the bible, and they stop printing anything. I wonder why Viz hasn't picked it up.....

In reality, the Lolita style is more lax here then in Japan. Whenever I talk to people at the conventions, they always mention that they're not really strict with the style. I've heard people say that they've been complemented by other Lolita wearers when their outfit had a few flaws. But, there are those who will shun you if you don't do it right, and it seems those tend to be in Japan. I was talking to a girl at a J-fashion show, and she said that if you were to go to Japan, there was one Closet Child store you do not want to go to if you're not Japanese. They pretty much shunned her when she went there even though she was a customer. Also, I heard that there is actually an unspoken age limit in Japan for Lolita. I'm getting close to the latest you can do it. But since I kinda look young, I might get away with it for a few years longer. Here, people could care less, but it just looks weird if you look old and dress in pastels.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:45 am
Rubai Sora

Oh, I don't think it was because it wasn't selling. Tokyopop was the one who printed the English version of the bible, and they stop printing anything. I wonder why Viz hasn't picked it up.....

In reality, the Lolita style is more lax here then in Japan. Whenever I talk to people at the conventions, they always mention that they're not really strict with the style. I've heard people say that they've been complemented by other Lolita wearers when their outfit had a few flaws. But, there are those who will shun you if you don't do it right, and it seems those tend to be in Japan. I was talking to a girl at a J-fashion show, and she said that if you were to go to Japan, there was one Closet Child store you do not want to go to if you're not Japanese. They pretty much shunned her when she went there even though she was a customer. Also, I heard that there is actually an unspoken age limit in Japan for Lolita. I'm getting close to the latest you can do it. But since I kinda look young, I might get away with it for a few years longer. Here, people could care less, but it just looks weird if you look old and dress in pastels.

Yes I've heard that they're more strict in Japan, which I admire. I don't want to do something if I'm not doing it correctly. People in America are less t=strict because they don't understand the history and implications of the style. They think that it's just for dress up and looking cute. I don't want to be one of those people. That's why I'm going to do a lot of research and try my hardest to wear the style properly and not shame it's name. I'm sure I'll find somebody to help guide me. cat_4laugh As for the age limit, I'm only 16 right now so I'll be fine for a few years. I think the age limit in Japan is in the early to mid-twenties. I also heard that women slighter older than that can just dress in the Classic and Aristocrat styles. That way they can continue to dress Lolita, but they're a more mature version that's more fitted to their age. cat_blaugh Regardless, due to my age and unemployment I don't have the money to support a proper style without my mother's assistance, which I know I will not get. She does not approve of "such a childish way of dress that makes [me] look like an airhead in a fantasy world" (her words, not mine). Therefore I'll use this time to just research and learn the ropes of what's acceptable and what isn't.  

darlindol17

Bashful Cutie-Pie

7,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:00 pm
darlindol17

Yes I've heard that they're more strict in Japan, which I admire. I don't want to do something if I'm not doing it correctly. People in America are less t=strict because they don't understand the history and implications of the style. They think that it's just for dress up and looking cute. I don't want to be one of those people. That's why I'm going to do a lot of research and try my hardest to wear the style properly and not shame it's name. I'm sure I'll find somebody to help guide me. cat_4laugh As for the age limit, I'm only 16 right now so I'll be fine for a few years. I think the age limit in Japan is in the early to mid-twenties. I also heard that women slighter older than that can just dress in the Classic and Aristocrat styles. That way they can continue to dress Lolita, but they're a more mature version that's more fitted to their age. cat_blaugh Regardless, due to my age and unemployment I don't have the money to support a proper style without my mother's assistance, which I know I will not get. She does not approve of "such a childish way of dress that makes [me] look like an airhead in a fantasy world" (her words, not mine). Therefore I'll use this time to just research and learn the ropes of what's acceptable and what isn't.

User Image

What I meant is that it's unforgiving for those who are new and mess up. Here, if something is wrong, people will be nice enough to point it out. There you're just shunned. I can't fit in any label brands, so I'm forced to make mine. Not to mention I have to fight my mom on the style of the outfit when we make them, so I could never wear mine in Japan and say it's Lolita. She doesn't mind the cute factor (weird since I'm 23), but because I'm overweight she doesn't want me to look even fatter (which I could care less).

04. ✿ - - - Fashion And Clothes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces