Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Inleros Desiccated (Pathfinder full) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheVulgarUnicorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:24 am
Oh, my bad xD
I wasn't aware there was that.
But saying that there are alot of magical classes isnt saying much.
Its quite limited how many non-magic classes you can have.
I mean 3.5 did a good job
But they are all basically the same thing with slightly altered abilities, or the same ones with different names picked from a bunch of different classes.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:38 pm
TheVulgarUnicorn
But saying that there are alot of magical classes isnt saying much.
Its quite limited how many non-magic classes you can have.
I mean 3.5 did a good job
But they are all basically the same thing with slightly altered abilities, or the same ones with different names picked from a bunch of different classes.

I could say the same thing about magic. Basically, the number of different classes, at least in this type of system, is a direct indication of how easy it is to access a specific result. And D&D has always been a game that was biased toward magic. (In that, high level magic users are the scariest classes in the game, whereas high level fighters are spell bait in most situations.) If magic was harder to use, there wouldn't be as many ways to use it, and D&D has the added difference of arcane vs divine magic, so that basically doubles the number of classes.  

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400

TheVulgarUnicorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:48 pm
Yeah im aware.
Early levels the warriors kick a**
Later levels they are just meatshields.
Im very much aware
But the number of magic classes does not equal the accessibility.
It equals the variety.
Most magic classes dont have much variety in their spell casting
It shows flavors, not quantity.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:55 pm
WhimsicalXellos
since that pretty much precisely describes the role that the Psion class fills.
Really? I always saw Psions going though a mentor process... similar to the Monk.

And Divine vs Arcane... vs Artificer... vs Shadow magic... vs Truenamer... vs Incarnum vs Binding... or what ever the binder used

But, not going to argue with DM... don't want to be bolted with DM Lightning  

Xun Ira

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:35 pm
So my score ends up being 16, 15, 13, 11, 9,9. I'm alright with that.

Next question; what is everyone playing, and what role is needed?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:43 pm
I'm really on the fence between gunslinger and a melee dex monkey-> duelist type. On one hand is the newness of gunslinger, but at the same time that's alot of character upkeep and some kinda crappy range increments, etc. on the weapons.  

KenshiroKameMeijin

Dapper Guildsman

5,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Brandisher 100

Xun Ira

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:46 pm
Dion Necurat

Currently, on the fence between Aegis, Spearmen Marksmen[if psionic archtypes are alright], Psion Shaper, and Vitalist... depending on what other people choose.

I want to play the Shaper or Spearman, but if the group needs a Defender or healer more...  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:54 pm
Xun Ira
Dion Necurat

Currently, on the fence between Aegis, Spearmen Marksmen[if psionic archtypes are alright], Psion Shaper, and Vitalist... depending on what other people choose.

I want to play the Shaper or Spearman, but if the group needs a Defender or healer more...

I'll probably make a Psychic Warrior, maybe Monk. Haven't quite decided yet.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

TheVulgarUnicorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:40 pm
So im looking at...
2 or 3 melee...
Ok ima go healer or dread.
And if i go healer ima go the syphoner healer.
SO either way we will have some in-the-rear casters to give you people some cover.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:24 pm
TheVulgarUnicorn
But the number of magic classes does not equal the accessibility.
It equals the variety.
Most magic classes dont have much variety in their spell casting
It shows flavors, not quantity.

I think maybe we're arguing for two different things haha.

What I mean by accessibility is not how simple it is to use it, merely how easy it is to get it. Specifically, Wizards study books and formulae, Sorcerers do it on the fly, Bards do a combination of the two. And then there's Clerics, who ask for it from their patron deity, whereas Oracles just have it thrust upon them. Any number of these methods could be the exclusive method to gaining power, but D&D has all of them at once, with a myriad of ways to mix and match.

I completely agree that there are a variety of magics, but that doesn't have much to do with the ways one has to gain it. If they were completely related, then you might only be able to study for arcane or ask for it for divine, but then there are Druids and Rangers who just happen to be able to cast divine spells because they interact with nature so often. I know I'm being incredibly sweeping with my statements, but that's also an illustration for my point. If I needed to be more specific, that would point toward a system which restricted access to magic.

But really, even if there are a lot of different kinds of magic, as Xun has listed out, what sense would it make if there were only one or two people to use each kind? The more varieties there are, wouldn't that almost necessitate its commonality?

Aaaaaaaanyway. I'm piecing together a setting. Oddly enough, after I started writing it out, I thought to myself, "Why does this sound a lot like Dark Sun?" So expect similarities to that. At least for environment.  

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

TheVulgarUnicorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:36 pm
Idk dark sun.

But I don't think i got my point across.
In a world where magic is low everyone with it would probably attain it through one of three methods.
1: Passed down from a family member or because of a personal relationship
2: You manifested the ability yourself, or are self taught because your a ******** genius
3: Or because you paid a kings ransom to someone who has the ability from point 1 or 2.

In a low magic world the KIND of magic being extremely varied feels just as realistic as a high-magic world. Simply because people aren't going to teach their magic to people who might possible learn their own. Killing that creation before it can start.
In a low magic world being able to cast spells is both a curse and a god-like gift.
Your going to be alienated no matter what, but your also going to wield power that few others can even imagine.

Once again, we are god damn adventurers.
For some reason were special.
We go out and do heroic acts that are worthy to be added to bardic epics.
So in a low magic world I actually LOVE to see my PC's all wielding atleast a small amount of magic.
To highlight that they ARE special, to explain WHY they are special.
To explain WHY a god, a king, an emperor, a demon, and a dragon might seek them out to do some kind errand.
Why they are the ones that are asked to seek out the Drakolich and slay it.

And a low-magic world is wonderful because you get to see this wide variety of reactions to magic-- or psionics. (Honestly its the same concept in both)
Characters will enter a town and wonder "Will using a spell get me obediance, worshippers, and tribute? or will they all turn on me, call the local priests, and see if i sink when tied to a boulder and dumped into the river?"

And, in conclusion, we are talking about alot of different things.
Idk where the "source of power" concept seemed to crop up but i was never wondering about that.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:00 pm
GregarMoon
TheVulgarUnicorn
Xun Ira
KenshiroKameMeijin
Dion Necurat

Updated the front post. More to come.  

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:35 pm
TheVulgarUnicorn
Once again, we are god damn adventurers.
For some reason were special.
We go out and do heroic acts that are worthy to be added to bardic epics.
So in a low magic world I actually LOVE to see my PC's all wielding atleast a small amount of magic.

Psionic qualifies as "magic". Magic in tabletop gaming is nothing more than a blanket term and is more or less synonymous with "power". HOW it is manifested and from WHERE are another story. Whether you are a Divine caster and receive your power from the gods/nature, an Arcane caster who uses spellbooks, scrolls and implements to conjure, enchant, etc., or Psionic who can manifest powers with their mind alone. Therefore, if we are dominately a psionic party, we will naturally stand out on this fact alone, especially if we are in a low power setting...though from a mechanics perspective, a 20-point buy consititutes a High Fantasy setting...

Quote:
And a low-magic world is wonderful because you get to see this wide variety of reactions to magic-- or psionics. (Honestly its the same concept in both)
Characters will enter a town and wonder "Will using a spell get me obediance, worshippers, and tribute? or will they all turn on me, call the local priests, and see if i sink when tied to a boulder and dumped into the river?"

To be fair, non-caster parties can wander into a town and ask the same thing about overthrowing the people in power.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:42 pm
So....I'm clear to use a Soulknife, that much is clear. What about the others? Because I'm still confused as to the classes we'll be travelling with.  

GregarMoon

Divine Werewolf

3,575 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Timid 100

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:57 pm
So far:
Soulknife (psi melee)
Psychic Warrior (psi melee) or Monk (melee)
Aegis (psi melee) or Marksman (psi ranged)
Gunslinger (ranged) or (unspecified melee class)
Vitalist (psi healer) or Dread (psi mid range)  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff