Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Rain panders to the Old Bloods-A game of Good & Evil CLOSED! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KytanaTheThief
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:01 am
Mongooseh

Don't forget your feats, either, though.

Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms are Essentials books as well.

Which is weird considering Heroes of the Feywild isn't, but, whatever XD  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:04 am
KytanaTheThief
Mongooseh

Don't forget your feats, either, though.

Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms are Essentials books as well.

Wut.... FFS I'll have to fix this after I come home from larping. I mean the utility power was obvious cus it was in a book called essentials. I dont 4e much so i dont know what is and isnt essentials.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:23 am
KytanaTheThief

Heroes of the Feywild is like, pre-Essentials. They were testing the waters with a new direction, liked it, and went with it.

If you notice, it isn't on my permitted sources. If I ran a '4e Essentials' campaign, I'd allow Feywild in it, though.

Mongooseh
Wut.... FFS I'll have to fix this after I come home from larping. I mean the utility power was obvious cus it was in a book called essentials. I dont 4e much so i dont know what is and isnt essentials.

Essentials is basically edition # 4.5. But rather than tweak of the system to balance it further, like 3.5 did to 3, they revamped quite a bit more. The core 4e mechanics are there, but a class's powers work a bit differently. IIRC, there's no daily powers, less encounter powers, and more at-wills. Also, there's to 'tiers', at least as far as feats go. I think they even have feats that are normally paragon/epic tier in 4e, that you can take at level 1 in Essentials.

I don't think Essentials is bad, per se, but I don't agree with WotC's stance that it's 100% compatible with regular 4e. I think it works best in a vacuum: Either only Essentials, or no Essentials at all. That's just a personal preference, though.

(Note, to all: It's 100% cool if you don't agree with my feelings on this matter. Anyone who DMs their own campaigns can allow whatever they want. 3nodding )  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:45 am
Mongooseh
Rain Yupa
Are you sure about Vanguard's Lightning? It keys off of Intelligence, not Constitution.
Yes because its one of two ranged area burst at will and it's slightly better than Grasping Shards.

I was just surprised to see it, since there's:
1.) A radiant at-will that keys off Constitution, and
2.) A radiant area burst attack.

Also, have you considered Astral Fire for a feat? This is going all by memory, but I think it adds damage to all radiant and fire attacks. PHB1. 3nodding  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:08 am
Rain Yupa
Mongooseh
Rain Yupa
Are you sure about Vanguard's Lightning? It keys off of Intelligence, not Constitution.
Yes because its one of two ranged area burst at will and it's slightly better than Grasping Shards.

I was just surprised to see it, since there's:
1.) A radiant at-will that keys off Constitution, and
2.) A radiant area burst attack.

Also, have you considered Astral Fire for a feat? This is going all by memory, but I think it adds damage to all radiant and fire attacks. PHB1. 3nodding

Does it stack with invoker's blaze? Since that one is a bit better due to it doubling while bloodied.

Can you give me the names of the one's you're on about as I cannot find a ranged area burst which is radiant. They're all close or just ranged.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:18 am
http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Grasping_shards
http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Avenging_light

Grasping Shards (at 21st level) is 1d10 damage, vs 2d6 for Vanguard's Lightning.

As for the feat thing, I'll have to get home to confirm that one. If they're both Feat bonuses to damage, they wouldn't stack.

EDIT: In divine power, there's a feat, Pervasive Light. I can't recall exactly what it does, but I think if you hit with a non-radiant power, the target gets vulnerable 5 radiant to your allies' radiant powers. That's the jist of it. If you stick with Vanguard's Lightning and Pervasive Light can be used with it, it might be worth considering. I can't recall if it's an Invoker feat or not, though.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

KytanaTheThief
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:26 am
Ugh, crap, I forgot about stacking. Now I have to go over my feats to make sure I didn't take redundant ones.

Edit: Whew. Only two of my feats don't stack (untyped stack no matter what, right?), so I just need to retrain the weaker one to something else.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:37 am
Rain Yupa
http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Grasping_shards
http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Avenging_light

Grasping Shards (at 21st level) is 1d10 damage, vs 2d6 for Vanguard's Lightning.

I didn't choose grasping mostly on the off chance I catch allies in the AOE don't wanna slow the allies on top of the damage.

And avenging light I don't need anudda singe target at will. I mean sure hand of radiance is multi target but I'm going for a bit of utility here. I mean I may go with grasping shards anyways but If i do what im gonna do in equipment it won't be an issue not being radiant.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:32 pm
KytanaTheThief
Ugh, crap, I forgot about stacking. Now I have to go over my feats to make sure I didn't take redundant ones.

Edit: Whew. Only two of my feats don't stack (untyped stack no matter what, right?), so I just need to retrain the weaker one to something else.

Correct. You can't combine typed bonuses. Untyped you can stack until the cows come home.

(Please don't bring any cows into my home.)  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:10 pm
Rain Yupa
KytanaTheThief

Correct. You can't combine typed bonuses. Untyped you can stack until the cows come home.

Goes off to make female minotaur.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:36 pm
Rain Yupa
As for the feat thing, I'll have to get home to confirm that one. If they're both Feat bonuses to damage, they wouldn't stack.

EDIT: In divine power, there's a feat, Pervasive Light. I can't recall exactly what it does, but I think if you hit with a non-radiant power, the target gets vulnerable 5 radiant to your allies' radiant powers. That's the jist of it. If you stick with Vanguard's Lightning and Pervasive Light can be used with it, it might be worth considering. I can't recall if it's an Invoker feat or not, though.

Astral Fire is +1/+2/+3 damage, depending on tier, but has a Dex and Con prerequisite. Invoker's Blaze is -/+2/+3 (doubled when bloodied) available at paragon, invoker only. It's a much superior version of Astral Fire. Keep what you got.

Pervasive Light is different than I remembered. If they HAVE vulnerability to radiant damage and you attack with a non-radiant power, you still benefit from that vulnerability. Sorry for misremembering.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:37 pm
PupSage
Rain Yupa
KytanaTheThief

Goes off to make female minotaur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBSRA2k7FBE  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:02 pm
Equipment, details, and severe editing to come, but its a start and I am tired.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/test-forum/bramble-thornside-wildren-avenger/t.100554195/  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:01 pm
PupSage
Wall of Text

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:55 am
Rain Yupa
PupSage
Wall of Text

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Its fresh from the character generator. I ca put it into a proper sheet later.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff