Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply First Year Classes
Charms I ~ *Lesson 1/5* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:13 pm
First things first
I'ma say all the words inside my head
I'm fired up and tired of the way that things have been, oh ooh
The way that things have been, oh ooh
User Image
User Image

Hαℓƒвℓσσ∂ Ɠяуƒƒιη∂σя Ƒιяѕт Ƴєαя Ƒємιηιѕт

╰☆╮She was late she was late she was sosososososooooo late! Gi had woken up excited and ready for the day thinking she had grabbed her correct textbooks for her morning class before going to breakfast and enjoying her meal. And it was only by the benevolence of Merlin that she double-checked her bookbag to see that she had her Herbology text and not her Charms text and that she had maybe twenty minutes to run from her tower to her classroom. Thank goodness she hadn't eaten much but the meal she had was threatening to come tumbling out after all the mad dashing she had done. Still, even by how late she was she had apparently made it in time before the professor completely closed the door and thankfully managed to slide into a seat besides her two friends giving them both tired grins and she tried to regain a somewhat normal breathing pattern. The professor seemed young and nice as she asked for an introduction and a bonus question of what a charm was. Gi blinked and weighed the pro's and con's of answering since she'd only read about a chapter or two of the text (and she barely remembered it) when Drew answered it allowing her to give her friend a quick grin and thumbs up. When it was her turn she didn't even think to add anything. "Gi-Seung Cho, Gryffindor."

Quote:

Second thing
Second, don't you tell me what you think that I can be
I'm the one at the sail, I'm the master of my sea, oh ooh
The master of my sea, oh ooh

User Image  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:45 pm
User ImageUser Image
Tsubaki Natsumi Yuko
First Year Slytherin
Pureblood Parselmouth

Location : Charms - Tuesday @ 8:00am

Tsubaki had a feeling the class would be absolutely boring. However, she had to go to class. Her sister would kill her if she found out she didn’t go to every class, especially with her classes just starting. So here she was in charms first thing in the morning right after breakfast. On the board was “What is a charm?” The Slytherin knew what a charm was however she wasn’t one to jump at answering questions. So when the time came for introductions and answering the question, she waited for the masses to go at it.

Listening to Drew, Rachele, and Faina answer the question she rolled her eyes. Ibarra seemed to want to answer it but Drew beat him to it. Then Faina, a housemate of her, pretty much said the same thing Rachele had. Since everything was said Tsubaki just gave her name to be done with things. “Tsubaki Yuko, Slytherin house.” She introduced before waiting for the class to go on already.

With: Class...

Wearing: Slytherin Uniform

OOC: ---

Quick, eh? Easy enough
                                                  You're right, you certainly belong in
                                                  Slytherin!

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:03 pm
User Image
Gabriella Clarity Stanford
Muggleborn - Reserve Beater
First Year Gryffindor

People call me Gabby...
                                                  I'm 11 years old...

Location: Charms - Tuesday @ 8:00am

Gabriella on the other hand had no idea what a charm was. She knew magic existed now obviously but she didn’t know there were different branches of it. It felt like different genres of music. She raced into class knowing she was running late. Getting into a seat, Gabby listened in hopes to figure something out. Drew answered first which made some sort of sense. Then a Hufflepuff (Rachele) and a Slytherin (Faina) spoke. It made semi sense but she had no idea what it really all meant. She supposed that’s why she was going to school to begin with.

“I’m Gabriella Stanford… Gryffindor House.” Gabby introduced. “I generally go by Gabby.” She added before falling slight. She didn’t know of anything else to say. Given that she didn’t even know what a charm actually was, it probably made sense that she had no idea of what to add.

User Image Status: Unsure
                                                  Wearing: Gryffindor Uniform

Such a perceptive young girl!
I do read minds, in fact, and in yours I read...
Ah! Youthful rebellion, a strong backbone and a loud mouth
Well then, that makes it easy.
Gryffindor!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:21 pm
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
Hold me close enough to breathe me in...
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-
Of the night in which we lay beside.

User Image
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

BLOOD TRAITORFORMER HUFFLEPUFFCHARMS PROFESSOR

Elsie was thrilled to be teaching the first years their first official charm today; she was glad she didn't teach a subject that was all lecture, like History of Magic. She wanted to be able to actually see them learning. Once they'd taken their seats and she was done taking attendance, she rose from her desk. "Good morning everyone! Today you will be learning about, and attempting, your very first charm." She nodded to the board behind her, where Wingardium Leviosa was written in neat cursive.

"Before we begin the lesson, let's briefly go over the homework assignment- you should have read up on the four essentials of casting a charm successfully." Textbook in hand, she walked up and down between the desks as she went over the reading. "First, you must focus on your objective when casting any spell. If you are distracted or not paying proper attention to your target, the spell will either fail entirely, backfire onto you, or give you less than stellar results. This is especially important in stressful situations, such as when you are defending yourself or trying to help someone. Second, your wand movements must be precise. Charms is a delicate branch of magic. Many charms will not function properly if the wand was flicked or swirled wildly. Thirdly, you must stress syllables properly. Not pronouncing a charm correctly or slurring or stammering the words is one of the most common reasons for a charm to fail. Finally, visualization, not to be confused with concentration. Technically, you can cast a charm without visualizing it, but it certainly helps to have an idea of what you want to achieve. See it to believe it, to speak," she laughed, and then snapped the book shut, approaching the board once more.

"Right then, if you are all prepared, let's go over the levitation charm, which is what we will be learning today." Chalk in hand, she started to write the charm's definition and lecture simultaneously. "Please take notes, everyone, it will help with your out of class practicing. Simply put, the levitation charm can be used to levitate any object, including, with enough practice and skill, things that a human being would never have the strength to lift on their own, such as heavy furniture, downed trees, vehicles, and so on. The object levitated can be lifted as high as the caster is able to see. The only thing the charm cannot lift is humans- it only effects the clothing worn."

The blonde turned to face the students with a small smile as she recounted the charm's history. "It was created in the sixteenth century by a wizard named Jarleth Hobart, whose goal was to attempt human flight. He failed, and broke sixteen bones for his trouble- as well as a penalty for 'Extraordinary Stupidity' from the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot. However, the charm survived his embarrassment, and is one of the most common, well-known charms in the wizarding world."

Turning back to the board, Elsie sketched the wand movement of the spell:

User Image

"The pronunciation is as follows; Wing-GAR-dee-um levi-O-sa. The incantation essentially means, 'lift up high'. Now, if everyone feels ready, please come up and take a feather from this box on my desk." She indicated the box, containing various feathers of all shapes, sizes, and colors, sitting on the desk beside her.

OOC:
Username

I held every inch of you...
I wrote every line for you...
I made time when time was all but gone.
You’re the love I’ve always known-
The night’s so dark and grey;
But you’ve helped me find my way.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:34 pm
User Image
Faina Patrovna-Harcroft
SlytherinFirst YearEleven Years OldSingle

Today, Faina managed better with getting about the castle, finding her way to her Charms class, and being one of the first to show up. Even so, she took a chair near the windows, rather than sitting up front. It wasn't in an effort to be able to sluff in class so much as she didn't get much chance to see daylight, not when she lived in a dungeon. She'd been studying her Charms book, as she knew nothing came easily or from cutting corners.

She'd already taken notes from the homework assignment, so for her this was simply a review where she made sure she hadn't forgotten something and went back over what she'd done. Faina chuckled softly at the professor's anecdote, thinking, 'There's always some gospodar who thinks he can skate uphill.' When the time came, she went up to collect a feather from the box on Professor Shoichet's desk.

Having been practicing her wand movement, Faina rehearsed the Charm, before giving her wand a precise swish and flick, and saying clearly, "Wingardium Leviosa!" Her feather rose slowly and steadily into the air. The First Year had a pleased look in her eyes as she watched the feather ascend.

OOC:
Username

User Image
                  "You're lost little girl, you're lost little girl
                  You're lost, tell me who are you?"

"I think that you know what to do
                  Impossible? Yes, but it's true
                  I think that you know what to do, yeah
                  I'm sure that you know what to do "

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:18 pm
User Image
Gabriella Clarity Stanford
Muggleborn - Reserve Beater
First Year Gryffindor

People call me Gabby...
                                                  I'm 11 years old...

Location: Charms - Tuesday @ 8:00am

Gabby still wasn’t sure about charms. She figured in time she’d learn at least. She read up on how charms worked and it sounded pretty simple. Listening to Professor Shoichet, the red head had her notes open on it. It was abbreviated but it got the point across. She smiled slightly at her professor’s final words on that before they moved onto the lesson for the day.

Taking notes Gabby made note that levitating could be done on pretty much anything aside from people. Sure would make life easier. Her thoughts suddenly went to when her father moved the couch and how difficult that had been. Granted she had told him to call his brother but what did a child know. Pushing the memory aside she wrote down the minor history. The guy didn’t sound too bright.

Getting into the actual charm, Gabby looked over the wand movement and the pronunciation. Going to get a feather she came back to her seat with a brown feather. “Wingardium Leviosa.” She tried with a swishy motion of her wand. Nothing happened… Staring at it, this was going to be harder then it looked.

User Image Status: Skeptic
                                                  Wearing: Gryffindor Uniform

Such a perceptive young girl!
I do read minds, in fact, and in yours I read...
Ah! Youthful rebellion, a strong backbone and a loud mouth
Well then, that makes it easy.
Gryffindor!

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:34 pm
User ImageUser Image
Tsubaki Natsumi Yuko
First Year Slytherin
Pureblood Parselmouth

Tsubaki had assumed right about the boredom in her opinion. She had barely skimmed the reading which she refused to admit too. Besides she would have been surprised if it was talked about in their next class. Sure enough Professor Shoichet did just that. Tsubaki wasn’t fascinated by the levitation charm. It sounded simple as she took notes on it. Over all she figured she’d be able to do it.

Getting into the history Tsubaki thought the guy certainly didn’t have a brain. She was glad to get into the actual workings of the charm. The wand movement was a swish and flick sort of thing. Getting up she went for a feather before getting started. Before she could try her attempt, she noticed and heard Gabriella’s attempt. It was horrible.

“You’re saying it wrong.” She told her flatly. “Uh…?” The Gryffindor looked over in confusion. “It’s wing-GAR-dee-um levi-O-sa not wing-GAR-dee-um levi-o-SA. You’re accenting the end instead of the O.” Tsubaki told her. “Thanks… I guess.” Based on the Slytherin’s words it was hard to tell if she actually meant to be helpful. Tsubaki gave a little huff feeling that the red head didn’t appreciate her help. That was her problem. “Wingardium Leviosa.” With a swish and a flick she began levitating the feather rather effortlessly. She knew what she was doing.

With: Class... Gabby

Wearing: Slytherin Uniform

Quick, eh? Easy enough
                                                  You're right, you certainly belong in
                                                  Slytherin!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:47 am
User Image
Rhett Fang Ye
<1st year>

Rhett felt it was cruel that he had to wait an extra day before digging into spellwork, not that the first week of classes with introductions was awful or history and astronomy was awful. Astronomy was an excuse to be out late and was cool because it was taught by a ghost who was pretty nice. Still, Rhett was looking forward to actually trying out his wand and performing magic. Rhett might be a bit of a prankster and rebel but he did listen, especially with his Dad's strict orders to not use his custom made wand until he was instructed to by a teacher. No underage magic with a wand for Rhett and any wandless magic should be accidental. Rhett thought Wingardium Leviosa was a great piece of magic to start out with and he was determined to get it right so listened carefully.

Unlike many of his peers he didn't necessarily think Jarleth Hobart was an idiot for his attempt to use Wingardium Leviosa. Yes it was not the smartest plan in some ways but the man was an innovator for better or for worse. Rhett felt a little bad that the man would forever be remembered by history as a fool and an example of what a charm couldn't do. Someone would have had to try eventually though so they knew the limitations of the charm. Rhett figured he should try to remember the name possibly for a test but more importantly what Jarleth Hobart taught which was: Wingardium Leviosa was not for human flight or levitation.

When it came to their turns to practice with a feather, Rhett noticed a ginger girl have trouble but a Slytherin girl was helping her even if the Slytherin sounded a bit harsh about it. Rhett decided to focus on his work and with a swish and flick pronounced carefully, "Wing-GAR-dee-um levi-O-sa." And the feather slowly floated up into the air. Rhett grinned in excitement. He did it! He wanted to cheer and jump up and down but instead focused on maintaining the levitation of the feather. Besides it was best not to make a scene.

Time: 2036-2037
                  Looking: Ready for Adventure

Hello, then, Rhett
                  Hm, adventurous and reckless,
                  And you like pranks and can't sit still
                  Yes, I know just where to place you

Gryffindor!

{OoC: }
                  Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:27 pm
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-
Of the night in which we lay beside.

User Image
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

Elsie sat at her desk, marking down each student for attendance as they entered the classroom, and waited until most of the seats were filled before rising from her seat, textbook in one hand, wand in the other. "Accio homework," she said cheerfully, collecting the papers, and turned to the correct page in the book as she wrote REPARO - THE MENDING CHARM on the board in bright red chalk. "Good morning everyone! Today we'll be learning about and attempting the mending charm, which should prove extremely useful to you over the course of your years at school." The blonde witch remembered being a gawky teen herself, and the sheer number of things she'd broken by either forgetting she'd left them somewhere, tripping over them... it went on.

"The mending charm was invented by a resourceful witch named Orabella Nuttley, who worked for the Ministry of Magic as a member of the Improper Use of Magic Office in the 1750s. When the Colosseum- yes, the one in Rome- was accidentally destroyed by magic, she created this charm to repair it. When cast effectively this spell can do amazing things- restore houses after natural disasters like earthquakes or floods, repair roads and bridges, and so forth. Obviously today we'll be practicing on a much smaller scale," Elsie added reassuringly.

"Reparo will return any broken object to its former state, and works on most everything.... with the exception of cursed or enchanted objects. However, and this is very important, so I want you all taking notes- this charm can only be used on inanimate objects. You cannot cast it on a person or animal. It won't work properly and you could scar someone terribly. Now, the pronunciation is reh-PAH-roh, and the incantation means 'to repair'." The professor turned back to the board, and sketched the wand movement of the charm:

User Image

"I have a number of broken items up here in this box on my desk- teacups, spoons and forks, plates, eyeglasses, latches... Come up and pick out something, and then you can get to work practicing."

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:50 pm
User Image
Faina Patrovna-Harcroft
SlytherinFirst YearEleven Years OldSingle

Faina found she rather liked the Charms class, if nothing else what she learned here was basic, practical magic. Today they were working on the Mending Charm, which was just dead useful, considering how often things at home got damaged and broken. The wand movement reminded her of a backward capital 'g', and the incantation stressed the second syllable, which made it easy for the young Slytherin to remember how to cast it. Still there was theory and then there was practice.

Once the lecture was done, Faina went up and reached into the box, it didn't matter to her what she pulled out, and turned up a pair of glasses with a bent frame and shattered lenses. Returning to her desk, she sat down and looked it over carefully before setting it on her desk and preparing to cast her spell. Gesturing with her wand, she spoke aloud, "Reparo!"

Fascinated, Faina watched as the frame unbent itself and the shattered glass was made whole and clear once more. The Russian girl went back up to hand the glasses over for her teacher to check over her work, while rummaging about for something more complex to work on next...

OOC:
Username

User Image
                  "You're lost little girl, you're lost little girl
                  You're lost, tell me who are you?"

"I think that you know what to do
                  Impossible? Yes, but it's true
                  I think that you know what to do, yeah
                  I'm sure that you know what to do "

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:13 am
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-
Of the night in which we lay beside

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

It was Tuesday morning, which marked Elsie's second day of classes. Luckily, her only class today was the first years, and if she'd handled the second and fifth year yesterdays, she was sure she'd be fine. She rearranged her desk for the millionth time, made sure the door hadn't swung shut on her, and began to write on the board as students began to file inside; the 8 o'clock bell was sure to begin to toll within a minute or two, marking the beginning of the first period of classes. When she was done writing she turned to face the class, wiping a bit of errant chalk dust off of her jeans. In one corner of the board the class rules were neatly outlined; in another the homework assignment, in yet another the supply list, and in the final corner, a doodle that looked like it had been scrawled by a student and smudged over. In the center WHAT IS A CHARM? was written in bright yellow chalk, and underlined. Twice. "Good morning everyone," Elsie said brightly, hoping she didn't sound condescending or as if she expected them all to chorus 'good morning' back. "I hope you enjoyed your first day of classes yesterday. This is Charms, and I will be your Charms instructor for the rest of your time here. My name is Professor Shoichet. I have a list with all of your names, but I'd like to put names to faces, so if you could all go around the room and tell me who you are and your house, that would be excellent. No need to stand, just be loud and clear. And ten points to the house of anyone who can tell me what a charm is while they're at it, alright? The tall blonde woman sat rather casually on the desk, long legs easily touching the floor, as she went down the list with her wand, looking up at the sound of each student's voice.

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:47 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Leah Ruby League
Ravenclaw First Year
Eleven Year Old - Pureblood - Dancer
Younger Sister

Leah knew that her family was known for being good for Charms. She didn’t see why she wouldn’t be. Taking a seat in her class she took out her stuff and laid it out neatly in front of her. Looking up to the board she started copying it down. It was always good to get a head start. She stopped when their professor greeted them. The blonde was named Professor Shoichet she seemed nice by first impressions standards.

As they went around the room giving names and such Leah waited for her turn to speak. “I’m Leah League. I’m in Ravenclaw house.” She introduced before deciding to answer the question on what a charm was. “A charm is a spell that can change the properties of an object but not the object itself. Like changing an objects color or making it levitate.” Leah answered. She was pretty sure she had that right.

With : Class...

Attire : Ravenclaw Uniform

OOC : - - -

Well now, what to do with you, hm?
                                                I see a lot of spirit, a strong backbone
                                                But I also see a quick mind and a curious nature
                                                I think you'll do best in
                                                Ravenclaw!

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:56 am
Rebecca Joanne Richardson
Slytherin First Year
Half Blood Magic Enthusiast

“So, it changes what it does but not what it is.” Rebecca chimed in curiously from her stop in the room. The Slytherin was generally interested in the subject but then again, she loved all magic. It was fascinating stuff. “Sorry, I’m Rebecca Richardson from Slytherin.” She introduced herself. The first year smiled. She seemed to be getting it.

So far, Rebecca liked the idea of her charms class. She had a good feeling about Professor Shoichet. Not to mention the class. So far, her first week was going quite well. She only hoped it would continue to be that way as she began writing down stuff in her notes. Rebecca figured having good notes on the first would be best. Plus, it was a good skill to have for future classes.

Company : Class...

Attire : Slytherin Uniform

OOC : - - -

Ah, child, it isn't you who are lacking, I promise
                                                  Your worth isn't measured by your house
                                                  And it isn't for your mother's sake that I tell you
                                                  Your cunning and determination will serve you quite well in
                                                  Slytherin!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:46 pm
Maximillian Leonis,First year,Ravenclaw

Max walked into the class and scanned it he took a seat in the middle row far enough for him to fade out but not far enough for it to seem like that was his goal. When the teacher addressed the class, he listened to the two girls answer her question then piped up "Maximillian Leonis, Ravenclaw, and as for charms, well I think they said it better than I could." Max left it at that not seeing anything to add on to the girls' description of charms.  

true bboy

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:00 pm

ARIANELL BLODWEN _________
Slytherin First Year _____._____
════════════════════════
________

By the time she reached the Charms classroom, there were only a handful of students gathered. A girl from Slytherin, who had a quiet determination about her and a name with the blood to back it up. Then there were two Ravenclaws, one being Leah, whom she swiftly moved to sit beside, and a boy who rather seemed to think he knew it all, always first to try and answer questions. Arianell mumbled a quick, ”Hullo,” to Leah as she set down her belongings on the desk and turned a watchful eye on the door as the rest of class trickled in. Eventually, the professor introduced herself and Arianell couldn't help but wonder how old this woman teaching them was and how qualified she could even be, wearing jeans when she's to be the Charms Mistress. What has this world come to? ”I am Arianell Blodwen and I am a Slytherin,” she said proudly, no matter the distractions in her mind.

∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷
WHEN:: Tuesday, 8:00-8:45am
WHERE:: Charms Class
WITH WHO:: Leah & First Years

∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷

First Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items