Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply First Year Classes
Defense Against the Dark Arts I ~ *Lesson 1/5* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 pm
User Image
Katya Patrovna
HufflepuffFirst YearEleven Years OldSingle

Katya was pretty sure she wasn't going to like Defense Against the Dark Arts, though it was mainly because she didn't like the idea of shooting spells at other people. She'd been by others in her family it was a very important thing to learn what sort of bad magic there was in the world, and there were people whom would think nothing of subjecting her to its effects. However, Faina told her the teacher was really good, and she could trust her, though it didn't help the cause that there was this big skeleton in the room. Still, the professor had a pretty cat, so that had to be a good sign.

Nervous as she was, when the professor started class, Katya raised her hand anyway, and waited to be recognized before answering, "Bonjou, Madam Professeur. Je suis Katya Patrovna, de la Maison Poufsouffle. Oh, um, sorry, yeah, Dark Arts are curses, jinxes, hexes and charms, which cause harm or can control somebody, and they're also the counterspells used to stop them." It had taken her a moment to realize she'd started answering in French, as she might have in her old French class, before switching, rather embarassedly, to English, although it would have been fine with her if the teacher had chosen to conduct the whole class in French.

OOC:
Username

User Image
                  "Precious and fragile things, need special handling
                  My God what have we done to you?

We always try to share, the tenderest of care
                  Now look what we have put you through

Things get damaged, things get broken
                  I thought we'd manage, but words left unspoken
                  Left us so brittle, there was so little left to give "

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:09 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
❁ Mary Fidelma Conri-Dechering ❁ xxxxx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xxxx <1st Year> <"American Girl" and Georgia Peach>
Time: 2040-2041
Looking: All American Girl in a Hogwarts World
------------------------------------------------------------------------xx

Mary smiled and waved at Professor Cohen taking a seat near Katya, happy to sit next to her fellow Puff who she had a formal introduction with on Monday in History of Magic. It was Wednesday now, and Mary was determined to make more friends or closer friends and Mary felt Katya was a sweet girl that would make a great friend. As the class started Katya spoke up, first in fluent sounding French, which surprised Mary as she learned a new skill of the other blonde girl. When she continued in English, Mary felt that Katya was sort of wrong: Mary was sure counterspells were Defense Against Dark Arts only. She didn't say anything not wanting to be rude nor wanting to risk the off chance she might be wrong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a moment the hat was silent before speaking....
                                                          My dear, I wager your father will be proud of you regardless
                                                          You need to forge your own path
                                                          And I think you'll be doing just that in

Hufflepuff!
                                                          {OoC: }
                                                          Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:13 am
✠ Quinn Ezekiel Conri-Dechering ✠ xxxxx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xxxx <1st Year>
Time: 2040-2041
Looking: Nervous
------------------------------------------------------------------------xx

Quinn took a seat near the front as was his habit, noticing that Mary had already taken a seat with a girl in her house. Katya was the girl's name from what Mary had told him and that the girl seemed very nice. From the little that Quinn saw of the girl in classes, Quinn felt inclined to agree. She was quieter but nice. Besides quiet wasn't a bad thing and the girl did speak up to answer questions. Like today in Defense Against the Dark Arts. Quinn was debating whether counter spells used to stop curses, jinxes, hexes and charms which are to hurt someone was a part of Dark Arts. He supposed they were in a way as they were a part of dueling. He was sure Professor Cohen would clarify soon enough.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a moment the hat was silent before speaking....
                                              Ah, such concern for your dear sister
                                              A quiet, thoughtful mind, hm?
                                              Yes, I know just where to put you,

Ravenclaw!
                                              {OoC: }
                                              Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:42 pm

ISOLDE BLODWEN _____.___
First Year, Hufflepuff, Pureblood ________
══════════════════════════ _____

A gasp slipped past her open jaw. A massive skeleton dominated the airspace of the classroom, its delicate bones strung together like a jigsaw puzzle. Was it a dragon? Maybe a flying horse? Whatever it was, it better not fall on her head. Wary to pick a seat not directly underneath the hovering bones, Isolde found herself near the back of the classroom. She organized her belongings on the desk while the rest of class flitted in. She had very little to say about this professor because there was very little to know. Most of the other professors were obvious in their introductions if they were strict or lax, Professor Cohen seemed rather strict but turned that opinion on its head when she started emphasizing choices. No one had ever thought she'd been old enough before to start making her own decisions. It was a little weird to have them now; but in a good way.

It was time to make a good impression, she raised her hand briefly and spoke, ”The Dark Arts aren't all about spells, though. Magical creatures and even potions can be classified as part of the Dark Arts, like a dementor or poisonous potions. But with magic, other than the obvious intent of some spells, dark magic is corrupt to the caster too. If you use it too much, it can change you.” She heard stories, and plenty of them, the hushed family secrets passed from generation to generation. Most were probably just that: stories. But the occasional chat with her ancestral portraits often made her think otherwise.

════════════════════
WHEN:: Wednesday 11:00 – 11:45a
WHERE:: DADA Class
WITH WHO:: First Years

════════════════════

Quote:

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:23 pm
When everything turns to black,
You don't know where to go...
You need something to justify your soul.
Silence is broken, confidence is gone;
Everything you're holding onto falls.

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Professor of DADA │ Muggleborn │ Haitian

Fanchon almost languished at her desk, looking vaguely irked as the students came in and took their seats. Finally, with a small sigh, she stood up, stretched a little, and wand in hand, began her pacing up and down the rows of desks and chairs, careful not to trip over anyone's bag. "You're all in luck, as today we'll be learning one of the most simple- and essential- spells known to wizards. Some of you may already be familiar with this, as it's not unusual to simply pick it up from older students as you go about your daily lives." She held her wand aloft, made sure they were all looking at it, and enunciated carefully, "LOO-mos," while moving it in a loop:

And then a sharp wave-like motion, saying, "NOCK-ss,":

The bright light extinguished itself immediately. "That," said Fanchon, "Is the wand lighting and extinguishing charm. As you can see, it's obviously very useful when you are in a dark place, or going about at night. It was not, surprisingly, invented until the year 1772, by a witch named Levina Monkstanley, who worked for the Ministry of Magic, and first used it to find a fallen quill. However, credit was almost stolen from her a German wizard name Garvin Lugner, who said he had invented the spell while developing his Instant Darkness Powder. He was lying, of course, and his powder was found to only dim a room slightly, rather than throw it into darkness."

She stowed her wand away. "Now, one of the positive side effects of the charm is that it also repels many spectral creatures, as well as any dark spirits, so it can be very useful to keep your wand lit when in a place where you may encounter anything of that nature. There's really nothing much to this- the wand movements are most important, as well as making sure your wand stays lit. It's no good if you can only keep the charm up for a few moments, so I want to see everyone's wand lit for at least five minutes. I'll set a timer."

OOC:
Username

All the people selling truths on every corner now-
They wait until the fear has knocked you down.
All the rules are changing now; you're living in sin...
Everything around you is caving in; all you're holding onto-
Is slipping like water through your hands.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:24 pm
User Image
Katya Patrovna

Katya still wasn't sure if she was going to like this class, though she understood why Faina liked their teacher. She was direct and to the point, and she had a lot to impart. Thankfully today's class was covering ground she was already familiar with, as her sister taught her the Lumos and Nox spells, which came in handy when traveling through the tunnels under the castle, and the hallways when going to and from the Astronomy Tower. It was nice to know now the light was good for repelling bad things which might hurt her.

When it was time to start practicing, she made the looping gesture with the tip of her wand, and said aloud, "Lumos!" She was rewarded with an azure pool of light issuing from the end of her wand. As she held her wand, she waited for the professor to start the clock, and imagined her trip from the Hufflepuff Common Room up to the Astronomy Tower, as Katya knew that always took at least five minutes or more to do.

OOC:
Username

User Image

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:29 am

ISOLDE BLODWEN _____.___

Isolde had been in awe of the professor since day one. She was fiercely strong, almost intimidating, but most importantly: she was direct. It was a breath of fresh air in a muggy downfall. Iso realized, bright smile on her face, that she did not miss the catty influences of her family at all. ”Helô Katya, mind if I join you?” She waited for a sign of acknowledgment before joining the Hufflepuff at a desk and settled herself in.

She procured her wand when directed; it was relatively short, only nine inches, it's dark sleek Black Walnut wood made it seem smaller and thinner than it was, especially in a dark room. It still felt large in her tiny fingers and she turned over its grip several times in her palm until it fit like a glove. ”Lumos,” she said, clear and loud, and swooped the tip of her wand into a single tight curl. Her wand pulsed on and off for the first few moments, she had to focus until the soft yellow glow burned like a mini sun. "This is a little harder than I thought," she admitted to Katya.

════════════════════
WITH WHO:: Katya

════════════════════

Graydon Ironshield

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:40 pm

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon waited until the first years were seated before she started the day's lesson, Jacques prowling around the edge of the classroom. "Flipendo, or the Knockback Jinx, is a very useful spell, especially for a young and inexperienced witch or wizard. It's not difficult to cast and it can be very handy when you find yourself backed into a corner." The Haitian woman gestured with her wand at an unoccupied chair close to her. "Flipendo!" the chair skittered backwards, toppling over with a wooden thud.

"As you can see, it works on objects as well as people. However, people can still get up, even after you knock them over, so I wouldn't expect to win any fights with this jinx," she said dryly. "Depending on the force used, it might just shove someone back roughly, or knock them completely off their feet. I wouldn't expect to send anyone- or anything- flying on your first few tries, however. And be aware that it can be blocked with a simple shield charm or just dodged." The professor nodded to the board. "There's what your wand movement should look like."

"And the light of the jinx should be blue. Now, I don't want you accidentally- or intentionally- hurting each other, so I want a row of desks across the room and everyone behind them. On my count, try to knock the desks back- after I'm behind them as well," Fanchon said hastily. "Alright, en, de, twa-,"

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:15 pm
User Image
Katya Patrovna

When Katya came to Professor Cohen's class today, she hoping Isolde would sit with her again, as she liked having her Housemate keep her company while they worked on spells for this class. Her eyes went wide when she saw the professor flip a chair over when she was demonstrating today's spell, and hoped she wouldn't be called upon to do the same. Though she understood it could be used in an emergency, the little Russian girl hoped she never needed to use it.

Lining up with everyone else, she took aim on some unoffending desk. "Un, deux, trois--Flipendo!" she spoke aloud, copying her teacher's wand motion as best as she could. It took her a few tries, but eventually she managed to convince the desk to move back a few inches.

OOC:
Essy ze Ninja

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:05 pm

ISOLDE BLODWEN _____.___

Iso was daydreaming. Plotting all the hundreds of ways she could finally prank and tease her sister. The last two years, Ari had delighted herself in teasing Iso, using magic in front of her even when she wasn't supposed to. She had even levitated Iso's chair away just as she was about to sit for dinner and tumbled all over the floor. Iso never tattled, even when she wanted to. It would have only made things worse. But now, she could finally fight back. She bounced to her place in line, wide eyed and toothy grinned. Practicing the motions, she readied herself for the first attempt. ”Flipendo!” She shouted, ending the spell with a sharp jab. The chair pushed back several inches but remained upright. ”Flipendo!” The chair flipped back and she cheered. Turning to Katya she asked, ”Exciting isn't it?”

════════════════════
WITH WHO:: Katya

════════════════════

Graydon Ironshield

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:46 am
User Image
Katya Patrovna

Katya smiled happily, as she was practicing the Knockback Jinx next to her friend, Isolde, and clapped when she managed to flip the chair she'd been practicing on to flip over. "Yeah, it is," she answered with a laugh. "Flipendo!" she called out and the little blonde girl punctuated the spell with a sharp jab of her wand, causing her own target to spin around on one leg a couple times before crashing down on its side.

OOC:
Essy ze Ninja

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:49 pm
User Image
xCian Quinlan xxxx Slytherin xxxx First Year

You hear the door slam
                                                          And realize there's nowhere left to run
                                                          You feel the cold hand
                                                          And wonder if you'll ever see the sun
                                                          You close your eyes

Cian mooseyed his way into class. Sure he was a bit late but at least he was here. He went to his typical seat and listined to the teacher. He loved the classes that he got to crack out the wand. He was at least patient enough to practice the wand movement and words separately. He did want to do it right. Once everything was set Cian decided to give it a go. "Flipendo!" He said with zeal. The desk tipped on two legs the rocked back. Well it kinda worked. Lets try that again. "Flipendo!" He said with a bit more force. It rocked again but fell back with a bang "Whoo!" Cian said cheering for himself.

And hope that this is just imagination
                                                                            Girl but all the while
                                                                            You hear a creature creeping up behind
                                                                            You're out of time

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:28 pm

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon was already up and running with her lecture as soon as the door swung shut behind the last student, since she had a lot of information to cover in the span of the class time. "A ghost," she began, "Is the disembodied spirit of a deceased with or wizard. Muggles are unable to become ghosts after death; only those with magic have the ability to stay on in the physical realm. One chooses to become a ghost either because of a very strong connection to the place they haunt, or due to a fear of death that leaves them unwilling to cross over to the, shall we say, other side." She stopped to raise an eyebrow before continuing. "Luckily for those of you unnerved by spirits, ghosts are not powerful enough to exert much influence in our world. They are visible to magic-users only, and can pass through solid objects, such as walls, as I'm sure you've all seen here at Hogwarts. They create disturbances in water, fire, and air as well, and typically lower the temperature of the area around them."

"Ghosts cannot enjoy the pleasures of our world, despite remaining here; food has no taste for them, and they cannot be touched. They remain trapped in the same mindset that they had whilst alive; therefore, a ghost like, say, Moaning Myrtle, will always behave as a teenage girl, unable to mature or develop any further. As you all know, ghosts are weightless and can fly, and cannot be destroyed, although they can be petrified. They are also wary of magical light, and a skurge charm will frighten them away as well. The Ministry of Magic, particularly the Spirit Division, is capable of stepping in and disciplining or confining ghosts who are particularly disruptive or malicious."
With that said, she stopped her lecture, and returned to her desk, class dismissed.

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:10 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads. If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly. As the first years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bonjou. Good morning," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "I am Fanchon Cohen, and I am responsible for ensuring that all of you can recognize dark magic, and properly defend yourselves against it. My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones. Can anyone," she scanned the room, "Tell me what the Dark Arts are? In some magical schools, they comprise their own, separate subject, but here at Hogwarts we take a more... benevolent approach."

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Mr Nightmares

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:54 pm
User Image

User Image Will you 𝓈 𝓉 𝒶 𝓎 by my side
Will you
𝕡𝕣𝕠𝕞𝕚𝕤𝕖 me
If I let go of your hand, you’ll fly away and ʞɐǝɹq
I’m scared
, scared, ѕ¢αяє∂ of that

Varus was glad DADA was scheduled at 11, and it was the only class on Wednesday, too! So the notebooks, quills, and textbook can be set up after breakfast. That would also mean that he would have time to do some advance reading (again). He had nothing to do, anyway. He shuffled into the room, his head down like he had always done with the previous classes. Invisibility, Varus. He sat at the front, having learned a technique that despite common misunderstandings, the front seat was actually better for shy people like him. To the rest of the class that was behind him, they'd only see dark hair and Ravenclaw robes. He wouldn't have to deal with thinking they would stare. He wouldn't even see most of them. He felt, however, uncomfortable with the suspended skeleton above their heads. Simply saying it was big was an offending understatement. Even though there was really nothing to worry about, seeing that this was Hogwarts, the anxious thoughts of it falling and just flattening the first years was just overwhelming. He tried not to overthink about it, but it really was useless.

Professor Cohen was someone Varus found intimidating. She looked and sounded so confident; and confident people were really intimidating. Well, for him. He thought about the question she raised. Memories suddenly began to swirl together—of a crouched figure in his father's study, and the sneer he received. His breath hitched. In an effort to focus on the present, Varus raised his hand and waited for a second before answering. "The Dark arts refers to any magic th-that is, well, used most of the time w-with malicious intentions. They a-are, however, not l-limited only to spells but also include harmful potions." He swallowed after answering, staring at one specific spot at the board until his eyes watered. He blinked angrily at himself, and decided to just write notes instead. No use in diving into a dark pit in the middle of class.

𝓦𝓲𝓵𝓵 you stop time
                                        if this ᴍᴏᴍᴇɴᴛ passes
                                        ħ †hðµgh it hadn't → ΉΛPPΣПΣD
                                        I’m
                                        scared, scared, ѕ¢αяє∂ I'll lose you

OOC:

First Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers