Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
Difference Between Geeks and Nerds Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which are you?
  Geek
  Nerd
  Dork
  Dweeb
  None of the above
View Results

Lanisatu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:58 pm
I've heard that the definitions of nerd and geek vary depending on where you are (e.g. east coast versus west coast). Like the usage of pop versus soda.

I'm on the east coast. Here, nerd is the more positive term. A geek is definitely unpopular (which makes sense, considering the roots being tied to someone viewed as a degenerate or circus "freak"). A nerd is smart, but unpopular.

My brother was actually talking about this on his blog a while back.

He said:
Quote:
In my high school a geek was someone who was unpopular while a nerd was someone who was unpopular but smart. I remember when I first started reading Slashdot, shortly after I moved to the Bay Area, I was really surprised at their use of the word "geek". "Geeks don't know how to use computers", I thought, "they're too busy learning to speak Klingon or memorizing the names of Star Wars characters". Sure, there are certain things that both geeks and nerds tend to be interested in, like science fiction, comic books and role playing games, but nerds are the ones who know how to do "useful" things. I became even more surprised when I learned that many slashdotters seemed to use an inverted set of definitions for geek and nerd.

There's also this comic that defines things with the east coast view.

A dork is socially inept and/ or goofy without restraint; which can make them appear to be stupid.

A dweeb is a poser (someone who tries too hard to be something they aren't).

And to the person who tried to equate Japanophile with anime freak -- I disagree. A Japanophile is like the Japanese definition of otaku; they may even like being called otaku. They are excessively obsessed and exhibit qualities of a poser. They try to use Japanese words in regular conversation as much as possible because they think it's "cool."

An anime freak is someone who happens to really like anime. Possibly offended if called otaku.

By east coast definitions, I'm a nerd. I've never been extremely popular socially. I'm smart, I like to research and learn new things. When it comes to visual arts - I am very nerdy. Most of my interests are related to visual arts and graphic design. I also like anime and manga, and might call myself an anime freak. I do watch other animation and sometimes read other comics. I'm very particular about grammar. And quite wordy.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:53 am
i read it all but i am still confused..lol. i guess i'm a geeky goth lmao.  

daemonchylde

Von Soupies

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:43 am
a nerdy punk.....ny friends and i are kind of nerdy

about something....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:54 am
Yup, I'm a geek alright. mrgreen  

Jackalope2
Crew

GS Sailor Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:48 am
[ Amputated Freckle ]
I would say that a nerd is more a-bit-of-everything, while a geek is more specialized

Here are my definitions:

Nerd - A person who places value on knowledge and is intellectual. Not necesarily unattractive, but often disliked by more shallow individuals. Characterized by use of proper grammar, love of reading, and dislike of popular people and mainstream music.

Geek - A person who is obsessed with, or at least very enthusiastic about, one or more of a multitude of "geeky" subjects, including, but not limited to, D&D, arcade games, MMORPGs, video games, anime, computers, electronics, Star Trek, Star Wars, and aliens. Not necesarily unattractive naturally, but generally appears to be due to lack of either fashion sense or interest in appearance. Characterized by awkwardness in social situations with non-geeks, a tendency to constantly converse about their "geeky" subject of choice to everyone (even those who do not share an interest in said subject), and mild-to-severe cosplaying in non-convention-or-festival settings.

Dork - A person who is socially inept. This could be due to any of a number of reasons, including, but not limited to, poor hygeine, lack of tact, bad jokes, overly-political comments, laughing at one's own jokes that no one seems to find funny, horrible fashion sense, or just plain shyness. Generally unattractive. Characterized by those things mentioned above.

I'd say on the Geek-Nerd-Dork scale, I veer towards nerd with a little bit of geekiness

This is the method I use to classify the three.

By this system I am both a Dork (shyness), a Geek (anime, roleplaying, sci-fi) and a Nerd (I read a lot and dislike both mainstream music and celebrities)  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:49 pm
Now you put into the equation as to what kind of geek you're talking about.
It could be a Video Game geek,
a Computer geek
or the ever popular Band geek
(actually at my school that really and truely does hold true. Cool people are in the band and are known for it.)
Personally as you can guess I like band geeks, but that's because I am one *wink* lolzz one of my good friends is a computer geek though and I've grown up with so many vid heads it's crazy fun!!!!  

LovelyTwos

Koravin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:51 pm
LovelyTwos
Now you put into the equation as to what kind of geek you're talking about.
It could be a Video Game geek,
a Computer geek
or the ever popular Band geek
(actually at my school that really and truely does hold true. Cool people are in the band and are known for it.)
Personally as you can guess I like band geeks, but that's because I am one *wink* lolzz one of my good friends is a computer geek though and I've grown up with so many vid heads it's crazy fun!!!!
Yeah. Perhaps you could be a video game nerd or a computer nerd. And band geeks forever.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:55 pm
I think you mainly got the diffrence between geek and nerd pretty well. good job. biggrin the main thing i disgree on is I personally haven't seen many nerds turn on other nerds. reason being, nerds, at least where I am, tend to spiecalise in something (my something is not spelling).

ex: I am a physics nerd, my one teacher is a philosophy nerd. I start talking about physics, witch he then turns into philosophy, witch I turn back around to physics..... so we all win!  

Dracina Dragonfire

Familiar Gaian

8,500 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Invisibility 100
8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games