Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark
Arc 2 - Heart of a Monster (Completed) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 80 81 82 83 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:05 pm
Kuori looks to the others. "I think that I will keep heading that way. It might be good to break it to Abby slowly that her husband has a few more scars."  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:26 pm
"Oh, well, if it's not too much further..." Twyla was holding her side as she walked, feeling like death warmed over, but the idea of getting to relax back at the manor was too much for her to pass up.

To Kuori, she said, "Okay, I'll go with you. But I think we should all keep together, just in case."  

AlphabetFish

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:03 pm
"One..."

"Two...

"Three..."

Soon, Revenge would lift his head from the ground. "That's everyone. I'm glad no one else fell." Reaching for his halberd, he would thrust the end of the haft into the ground, and use it to help brace himself as he forced himself to his feet. "Why am I all wet?" he asked aloud, though to no one in particular.

Taking a gander at all of the others, he frowned. "I was saving this in case one of you got badly hurt... but so I don't slow us down, I think it's best if I use it on myself." Holding a hand to his chest, he would use his final Lay on Hands to restore his health enough to restore his mobility.

Quote:
Lay on Hands, final one used. Revenge should be at 23 hit points, from one healing potion + one lay on hands surge.

Silently, Revenge would begin walking back, keeping pace with Twyla easily enough, since heavy armor was as burdensome as short legs. Partway though the journey, he would have a revelation.

"Oh Sehanine, it's my blood. It's in my greaves and everything." The paladin would make a face, but keep walking.

As the party neared the gazebo, Revenge seemed on edge (with a 7 on my initiative roll!), but otherwise took no aggressive action, lest he'd incur its wrath.

"You lot, with your walking... they say the paladins of olde used to have the power to summon mystical steeds to ride from the very heavens themselves. I could really go for that right about now..." Panting, he would let out a sigh.

Giving the structure a dubious glare, he would then add, "Though I'm not sure I feel comfortable resting in this place. I think I can press on a little bit more."  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:58 pm
Valac indicated he had no qualms with moving on immediately.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:25 am
With no one opting to rest in the beautiful, completely nonthreatening gazebo, Lyndon leads the group on the rest of the way to the manor. Upon reaching the back entrance to the house, Lyndon entrusts the party to a servant before riding off towards the stables. The servant leads the party through the manor until the group arrives at a plush waiting room. Master Kail is already in the room and appears to be waiting for the party. Once everyone enters, Kail begins to speak.

"Ah, good, you completed the task--though it looks like you took quite a beating, Might I suggest you clean up before seeing your wife Mr. Revenge, lest you make her worry." Kail waves his hand and the dragon plant organ jumps from Kuori's grasp and flies over to Kail. It hovers next to him as he continues to speak.

"Ms. Abby and Petra are in the arboretum talking with Basidia. I have completed my examination on both of them. Petra opted to be examined as well, after some discussion, and I have learned some things I wish to discuss in their absence to avoid triggering any bad memories. I know who did this to them... or at least, who was heavily involved in the process."

Kail would pause for a moment before continuing on. "When you get to my level of understanding of magic and the arcane, you realize it is as much an art form as it is a science. To put it bluntly, spells can be woven in multiple ways to accomplish the same effect. The more complex the spell, the more unique the signature is of the one who cast it. The magic weave placed on those two girls is brilliantly done--and I recognize it.

"It was made by one known as Menithlea. She is an elf psion of phenomenal power. I worked with her and the Aria government over 15 years ago in exploring some ancient, forest-covered ruins, the same ruins where I discovered the Dragon Plant. I was there to study the extraordinary fauna, and Menithlea was heading up Aria's efforts in the area. They were digging for something--I don't know what for--and I returned home before they had completed their efforts, but I digress. Menithlea is an incredibly dangerous and ambitious person. In my brief time working with her, she demonstrated quite well that the ends always justify the means in her mind. If she is truly bent on reclaiming these girls, she will stop at nothing to achieve her task. You will have to be cautious. She is quite clever, and if she has the backing of the Aria government, her resources will be near limitless."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:32 pm
Twyla listened to Kail with growing concern. She knew a bit about magic signatures herself, and she was troubled by what he was saying.

"This person... she's dangerous in what way? What would she do to Miss Abby and Miss Petra if she found them? And why would Aria want them so badly?"  

AlphabetFish

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:01 pm
Kuori answered Twyla, "Remember when you were a kid and you broke something or made a mess, then tried to cover it up before your parents saw it? In this analogy, you're Aria, Abby and Petra are the mess, and the parents are the nation's that are on good terms with Aria. Except that the people that they are hunting are also their favorite toys, ie walking weapons of mass destruction that Aria wants to control. A Basilisk is unintelligent, an Abolith too intelligent. Add in a human element and things become more managable. Things were bad enough when we thought they were just doing it with insects, but if they are doing it with other creatures, imagine the kind of power they could have if they could control them? Mindflayers, elementals, Djinn, Dragons, Were-pirahna, or a vampiric half-dragon half-troll lycanthropic fiendish snail! They are obviously making an army, and that pesky free will keeps getting in their way."  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:08 am
Revenge would allow himself to be led back to Kail, grateful that Abby was not in the room at the time. If he were allowed to keep his weapon, he would be using the halberd to keep himself standing; otherwise, he would use a chair to accomplish the same task, his gauntlets pressing down upon the back.

"You'll... have to excuse me. This is a bit to take in, and I'm still a little... a little lightheaded." Squinting his eyes, he would shake his head a bit to try to get rid of the fog.

He would listen to Twyla and Kuori converse a bit, before holding one hand up. "Wait. Hold on..." He looked thoughtful, though seemed to strain himself to be so. "My arcana is rusty. How... long would it take for someone to..." He would roll his hand in the air, trying to coax the right words. "'Develop', I guess?... this sort of magic weave. Master Kail, if you had to guess... if someone was ambitious for an idea and were starting from scratch... to being able to cast it repeatedly with significant successes... how long does it take to come that far in one's research, in regards to the matter at hand?"

A pause.

"Fifteen years or so?"  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:39 pm
Kail would respond. "Your guess is as good as mine as far as what Aria's actual intentions are, but I feel the Goliath does have a point. There are monsters with terrifying power in this world, but they are few and far between, and do not work well with others. If you could simply make your own powerful monster out of a human and control them, that would be quite an asset. What's more, if you could make the process repeatable, you could make an army that mere humans could not stand up against."

Kail would then stroke his beard as he contemplated Revenge's question. "To be honest, it is really hard for me to say. I have little to no experience in this kind of magic, nor do I know how many she has assisting her or what her skills may be. But my best educated guess is the creation of the arcane process that resulted in the transformation of your wife must have taken decades of magical research."

Kail would let out a sigh. "There is no doubt in my mind now, though, that Aria is responsible if Menithlea is a key architect in what happened to those girls. This is all most disturbing. I will have to meditate on these matters after creating your item. You should rest now before seeing the Abby and Petra. I'm sure your current appearances will cause them a bit of duress."  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:37 pm
Kuori, who had barely gotten dirty as side from the plant gore on her hands, said, "Yeah, you guys look like the nine. But I just need to rinse my hands ..." She pondered licking the veggie paste. "Then I think that I will be presentable enough to check on the ladies if you don't mind."  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

AlphabetFish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:27 pm
Twyla had listened to all of this, feeling that things were looking a bit grim. She'd just been thinking about trying to help those poor petrified guards, but it seemed that Abby and Petra were in just as much danger. And the implications for the future were no better. An army of monstrous soldiers... how could they possibly be fought against?

She shuddered, and tried to push those thoughts away for the time being. She and her friends would just have to work hard and keep one step ahead of Aria--and, most importantly, stay positive.

Twyla stood up and clapped her hands. "Okay! He's right! I'm about to drop dead on my feet, and Revenge already did that not that long ago, so let's take a little break. I've got just the song to help everyone relax."

((I'm taking a short rest. Add 5hp to each healing surge spent during a short rest for all of Twyla's allies.))  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:59 pm
Valac takes part in the quick rest.

(2 Surges used cus I cant remember how much hp I lost and 34 should cover anything.)  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:07 pm
"I see... my apologies. It had just sounded like those ruins might be beneficial to us, in regards to helping those afflicted by Aria's touch. It was probably just a coincidence."

After letting everyone else say their responses, he would look back at their host. "Pardon me, Archmage Kail. You mentioned I should get cleaned up. Where would I be able to do that?"

Only a heartbeat would pass, when the tiefling would turn and look down to Twyla. "I'm sorry, Twyla Rosanna, but I think I need to decline. I'm doubtful the missus would appreciate you serenading me while I bathe."  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:26 pm
"There is a chance that what Aria was looking for in those ruins is linked to these experiments of theirs. The place was home to several unique plants that seemed to have been manipulated by the magic of those who once lived there... but I cannot know for sure. As for getting cleaned up, I will have a servant take you to a wash room. I will head back to the Arboretum with Kuori so I can begin creating your wand."

Kail steps out of the room with the Dragon Plant organ continuing to hover next to him as he leaves. Shortly thereafter, a male and female servant step into the room. The male servant leads Revenge away to get cleaned up, while the female servant cheerfully stands by and tells Twyla and Valac she will lead them to the Arboretum when they are ready.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Revenge is led to a grand, ornate bathroom with a large bath already drawn. Bandages and ointments have already been laid out as well. The servant offers to clean up Revenge's armor while he washes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kuori is brought to the Arboretum by Kail. He quickly rushes off to begin his work. Kuori finds Abby and Petra sitting on a bench with Basidia, the strange girl who looks to be wearing a mushroom cap as a hat. The three girls are happily chatting with each other; Petra even has her hood down, exposing her reptilian features.

Petra sniffs the air and turns towards Kuori. She beckons her to come over. Upon seeing the Goliath, Abby would stand up and ask, in a somewhat worried voice, "Oh, thank goodness you're back. Where is my husband?"  

Kowsauni
Crew

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:48 am
Kuori would smile and say, "He is fine, going to bathe and sew his wounds. I won't lie, he took the brunt of the damage, but he should be good by morning. Healing potions work wonders." She looked to mushroom girl ... oh gods, could Aria do plants too? Dragon plant person. "Hey Abby, All of the Aria escapees we have met have been women. Did any men escape with you as well? It just occurred to me that it could be a factor."  
[D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 80 81 82 83 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games