Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply The ART Dept
Portraits of a drunken, cross-dressing elf (art thread) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 60 61 62 63 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kaori Silnaak

Fashionable Explorer

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:16 pm
ThisEmptySoul
Kaori Silnaak
After a certain point though I have to choose for myself what fits me best to express myself through experimentation and trial and error and what will come out on the other side, if I persist and practice long enough, will be a style that is uniquely mine.
This is my ultimate goal. While I have an appreciation for those who can do realism very well, what impresses me most is when an artist has a unique style... where you can see something by them and know immediately that it's theirs. It shows imagination, which I admire a lot more than just skill.

Ah yeah. I know what you mean. Technical skills can be acquired if you practice long enough, but real creativity... thinking outside the box, ditching preconceived patterns and habits and meeting each challenge with a fresh mind... that's a rare thing that can't be taught. Maybe it's that I think my own art is still immature in that regard that I hesitate to call myself an artist. I've built up some technical skill, but I haven't stepped out of my comfort zone to become an original yet.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:34 pm
Coming up with your own, original ideas, and a way to express them, can be one of the hardest things about art. A signature style is also very difficult.  

Kits Rose

Feline Shapeshifter

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:54 pm
I didn't forget about this. I just needed to dredge up the motivation to go at it again. Now it's back to where it was before. The body is done so now I guess it's time to throw some clothes on.

User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:17 am
I take back that part about not enjoying realism. That Kurt drawing was a labor of love. I guess it just really depends on what my subject for realism is, but even then it's still a gigantic pain to make look nice. xp

When I clear up my current projects I'm going to tackle realism again for practice. Might as well continue and develop a theme of drawing dead rock stars. I have some ideas. Always wanted to draw Jimi Hendrix. He has such a unique look. Or just do what I feel like and give Bruce Lee a try. A godly dynamic individual.

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:23 pm
There are three subliminal messages in this eye. Try and find them all! emotion_awesome

User Image

No not really. I was bored and wanted to tweak my eye style a bit.

That's my color. What are you up to? cat_neutral

Shh. Nothing you need to worry about, my blue monkey.

And after thinking about it... an alternative eye coloring scheme that's more color based for shading.

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:57 pm
Beautiful ~ as per usual - you do amazing things Kai.  

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:47 pm
ninja *Lurks and suddently gets blinded by a shade of pink* Clothes would be nice. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:01 pm
The pink is easier on my eyes than plain white for when I draw for long duration and for some reason it makes it easier to spot my mistakes. But the costume design is on it's way. Soon-ish.  

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:57 pm
I keep on going back and tweaking the face. You can start to see my ideas coming together finally, but certain things aren't going to have line art and are going to be drawn line less with colors, like the fur trim so they won't show up until later. I completely underestimated how hard it would be to make clothing look like it was flowing... my clothing designs are usually more form fitting with a minimalist approach. xd

User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:57 am
This is the completed line art. Don't worry about the wings, they will be in pure color. I've still got some surprises up my sleeve though especially in the focus in what she is looking at. I'll be testing out some new painting techniques as well.

User Image

and just a couple minutes ago one of my art friends sent me this. It's not for me, but they know I love fantasy art and holy f*ck. emotion_drool  

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:59 am
progress from coloring at the end of the day. got the face done and starting to spread out from there.

User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:46 am
looking lovely 3nodding  

lady ayami chan

Virtuous Saint

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:41 pm
Thanks. whee

Ah the joys of insomnia. Look at your bow tie. Now look down. Look up. Your bow tie is now a rose! Yeah I old spice guyed you. Much more of that to come.

User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:01 pm
*looks at Kai's work, then his own, then back to Kai's. Kai's is now over nine thousand times better* gonk stressed  

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:20 pm
And with old spice you can smell like me.

Look left. Look back. I'm riding on a centaur!

The ART Dept

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 60 61 62 63 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games