Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply First Year Classes
History of Magic I (1/4) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 52 53 54 55 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:05 pm
User Image
Siobhan 'Hannah' Grey
HufflepuffFirst YearEleven Years OldSingle

Hannah took a seat near the front, next to Pippa, whom she thought was so pretty, and took notes with a fountain pen. Her notes weren't the most legible, and probably not as well organized as they ought to be, but she figured they would work well enough. She found the story of the school's founding interesting, and she had her own questions about it, like she was sure the other students did too, and Pippa got hers out before she could.

Her eyes widened when Salazar Slytherin was mentioned. Linny warned her his name would invoke all manner of issues. It was almost as much trouble as invoking the name of a certain other dark wizard. Hoping to derail the chance the class would devolve into chaos, Hannah asked, "Professor, how did the founders choose here for the school? Was the castle already here, or did they have it built?"

OOC:

Username

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:37 pm
User Image

User ImageUser Image Location : History - Tuesday @ 8:00am

Emma headed to history a little curious about what kind of history she'd learn. She was never the history loving type but she knew nothing of the magical world aside from what her uncle told her. Walking into class Emma found a seat next to Pippa and Hannah. As class got started, the Hufflepuff listened carefully to the lesson and took detailed notes. When it came time to ask questions Emma had two. "Um... Professor this might sound dumb but I've got two questions. What is the Tri-wizard tournament and who is Voldemort exactly?" she asked curiously. Honestly she had no idea about much in the world she was in. However, she was willing to learn.

With: Class... Professor Powell

Wearing: Hufflepuff Uniform

OOC: ---

Diamond Wales

Somewhere you'll fit in huh?
A loyal friend like you?
I think you'll have no trouble fitting in here!
Hufflepuff!

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

Deviled Dregs

Wealthy Lunatic

7,375 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:07 pm
User Image

User Image

First Year │ Hufflepuff │ Pureblood

Kai walked to class and took his usual seat in the back, spreading his textbook, parchment and writing material out along the desk. He would have sat next to Pippa or Emma, but well, they looked busy. He didn't want to be a nuisance. As soon as he saw the subject material on the board, Kai laid his head down. He knew everything he needed to know about it already, and decided now would be the ideal time to take a 45 minute nap, seeing as he had just eaten lunch. Some of it.

He'd still listen as best he could until he dozed off, though.. And immediately something peaked his interest. He raised his head, listening to Emma speak. He was a bit surprised to hear that she didn't know of Voldemort, though then again, she was muggle-born. Not that that was a problem. He wasn't his Slytherin cousin, after all. "Voldemort was a right a*****e. He killed people that weren't of pure bloodlines like himself," he blurted out, before he even realized he was saying anything. His cheeks reddened as soon as he did realize it, though, and immediately apologized to Professor Powell. "Oh my.. I-I'm sorry, sir.. I didn't mean to steal your thunder or anything, it just.. I'll shut up now," and with that he quickly ended his speaking, hoping he could just sink into his chair and disappear right now.

murruelecreuset
Diamond Wales

OOC:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:06 pm
      User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
C O R I N N A
R E N E E
W I L L I A M S

First YearHalf BloodRavenclaw

Corinna dashed to class, horribly late but wanting to be there all the same, even if history wasn't her strong spot. She quietly slipped through the door and chose the nearest available seat, hoping not to interrupt the lesson. Cori was just in time to hear Kai's sudden burst of speech, which utterly surprised her. She hadn't heard the boy speak before. His word choice may not have been the best, but it certainly got the idea across that this Voldemort was no ordinary individual. Corinna pulled her little notebook from her bag and wrote a note to herself: Research Battle for Hogwarts.

Looking up, Corinna saw only today's topic written on the board, and no notes. Sighing, she frowned. She pulled out her school notebook anyhow, wrote the topic, and left plenty of room for notes she'd borrow later. Better be on time next week, Cori, the red-haired girl told herself, settling down her flyaway hair before leaning over to the girls who were one seat over. "Hey, Pippa? Can I copy your notes later? Sorry," she winced. Corinna hated having to ask for help, and especially hated to distract another student during a lesson, but feared she wouldn't be able to catch anyone after class.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Such a strong mind!
Inventive and a daydreamer,
Not to mention kind-hearted!
Better be....

Ravenclaw!

OOC:
DizzyDis

Writerly Ink

Generous Bookworm

11,700 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bookworm 100
  • Millionaire 200

Damsel Dis

Adorable Fatcat

7,175 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:32 pm
User Image

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ωнєяє HoM classxx
ωιтн corinna ; hannah ; kai ; classmatesxx
fєєℓιиg surprised ; shockedxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pippa noticed Hannah's eyes widen after hearing Pip ask her own question. The blonde frowned slightly in confusion. Had she said something wrong? She blushed ever so slightly before leaning toward Hannah, hoping she hadn't made her fellow Hufflepuff upset with her!

"Did I say something wrong, Hannah?" She was suddenly cut off from continuing, hearing Kai's sudden outburst about the long defeated and long fallen dark wizard. The name rung the smallest of bells, though she was more interested in the sweet and silent Kai's sudden language. She peered back over at Hannah with a still quite shocked look on her face. Pip didn't even see the Ravenclaw girl, Corinna, sit down the next table beside the Hufflepuff girls. She even jumped slightly in her chair when the Ravenclaw spoke, though smiled immediately after hearing her ask to copy Pip's notes. Of course, Pip nodded as she turned her gaze to Corinna.

"Certainly, Corinna. Just say where and when."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                          συт σf ¢нαяα¢тєя

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Writerly Ink

Graydon Ironshield

Deviled Dregs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:19 am
Sometimes I’m feeling like I’m going insane
My neighbour told me that I got bad brains
But I’m alright though (We’re alright though)
Yeah, we’ll be alright though (We’re alright though)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXUser ImageUser Image

Gryffindor First Year Halfblood Single

┏━━━━━━━━━━┓

Annie skid into the history classroom like one would if they were heading to home with a triumphant grin as she noticed she wasn't horrendously late like she had been last time. She took a seat besides Kai in his usual way way back seats and gave him her usual friendly smile before paying attention to the professor and what he was discussing that day. She took out her notebook and pencil and began rapidly taking notes about the founders, what they contributed to the school (oh, so that's she should thank for the trip stairs!) before she became confused and enraptured in the story of the Battle of Hogwarts. She had read a bit about it in Hogwarts, A History (a horrid read but rather good if you just skim for information) and she knew she had heard the names Durmstrang and Beauxbatons somewhere but it was slipping away from her. Then she was startled from her thoughts by Emma, one of the sweet Hufflepuffs, asking who Voldemort was. Before the professor could try and explain, Kai himself jumped in with one. Annie looked at him with happy shock and gave him a thumbs up of encouragement before raising her had for her own question. "My question kinda goes with Emma's; who or what are Durmstrang and Beauxbatons? Are they witches or wizards or are they the names of a school?"
┗━━━━━━━━━━┛

Deviled Dregs

Diamond Wales

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image
Wearing
Where ~ History Classroom
With ~ Classmates
What ~ Learning!

They say we’re losers and we’re alright with that
We are the leaders of the not-coming-back’s
But we’re alright though
Yeah, we’re alright though

EmrysStorm

Mind-boggling Celebrator

1,600 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Porcelaine Ivory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:40 am
User Image
User Image

It seemed as if the days were passing faster than they really were, with today already being their second lesson on the history of magic. Prepped and ready to take notes prior to a majority of the remaining students in the class even arriving, Liam waited for the lesson to begin by getting a few pages in his book read. It wasn't a class textbook, but a little recreational reading, rather. A book on classic short stories and poetry written by the late Edgar Allan Poe. He had read each page from cover to cover at least a dozen times over the course of the last few years, but it continued to be his favorite choice read.

Following the lesson on Hogwart's history, Professor Powell opened up the discussion for questions, of which a number of students clearly had. It wasn't surprising to him how many of them were not already aware of the details of this topic, but it did catch him off guard when so many of them were blind to the understanding of simple terms such as famous and infamous names and the titles of other magical schools. His assumption was that these students had been born to muggles or raised with little to no magical influence, but he listened to each question and answer carefully in hopes of determining whether that assumption was valid.

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:46 pm
~New Year~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:50 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Grayson looked up from his book as he noticed the students coming in. He didn't know how long he had been sitting reading, but the effect was always the same. Usually it would end with him being confused about what was going on, but today was different. He was supposed to be teaching the class, and as usual, it left him a bit awkward as to how to go about it. He however decided to go about doing it the simple way.

"Hello, class, and welcome to History of Magic. I am your professor, Grayson Powell. In this class, there is no wandwork, since magic doesn't help you to learn about history. Therefore, your wands will need to be put away." He stood, taking his feet from off the desk and faced the children directly. "History is a collection of events, as I'm sure you are all well aware of. However, these events help to shape the world around us. If not for the witch burnings of the sixteen hundreds, we would not have the Statue of Secrecy. If not for the crises of the last century, we would not have cooperation of all magical folk." He glanced around the class, letting his gaze fall over each of the students. "Now, can someone tell me, besides what I have stated, why history needs to be learned?"

════════════════════════
                                            Location: History of Magic classroom
                                            Thinking: New year, new faces...
                                            Taken by: Amata Harlowe
                                            OOC:

Now where did I put that wand?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:40 pm
User Image
~M.J. Al'Meara ~
.::. First Year .::. Hufflepuff .::.

spaceMJ walked into her very first class at Hogwarts. This was going to be one of her least favorite subjects, except flying, that will definitely be her least favorite subject of all. She just knew she would break something, an arm, a leg, her neck "I hope it doesn't hurt to have any of that fixed." she thought, though she knew it wasn't a painless experience having seen her parents preforming it on injured creatures. She shakes her head, "Okay focus, I'm not on a broom yet, I'm in my History of Magic class, safe on a stool, and I think the teacher just said something about witch burnings and the statute of secrecy." What was the question again? She hadn't caught it. Not the greatest of starts, but she was sure it would pick up from here.

::OOC::
Quote:

MelB87

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:48 pm
Raymond Ara Yuko
First Year Slytherin
Pureblood

User Image User Image
                                                  Location : History - Monday @ 1:00pm

Raymond walked into the first class of the year and took a seat on one of the middle benches. He wasn’t sure about his thoughts on history class. However, he’d sit through it regardless. It was mandatory unfortunately so he’d try and be enlightened. Now it wasn’t like Ray disliked the subject of history he just wasn’t fond of it. When Professor Powell started going into what history was about, Ray just sat there with his arms crossed. Why was history important to learn? If the first Slytherin wanted to answer he could go for the obvious response. Raising his hand he did just that. “The generic answer is that we learn history to learn from it, to prevent us from repeating the same mistakes again and again.” Ray answered. “Of course there are other reasons like learning about our ancestry, where we came from and whatnot.” He added before falling silent once again. Honestly Raymond wasn’t afraid to show he had intelligence. It wasn’t like smarts were only among the Ravenclaws in the school.

With: Class...

Wearing: Slytherin Uniform

OOC: ---

Hrm, rather intelligent, I see...
                                                  Not to mention you seem to have a tendency to think of yourself first...
                                                  I do believe this house is the perfect fit for you...
                                                  Slytherin!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:42 pm
User Image
User Image

αɢє 11 | αםvєитυяєя | sℓчтнєяιи ғιяsт чєαя

☆º°”˜`”°º☆ ★º°”˜`”°º★

ﻬஐ Caty traipsed into the History classroom ready to learn and to hopefully not be bored to tears. History lessons in her last school usually left her antsy and her teachers very annoyed because she apparently "caused a ruckus." Whatever! It's their horrid teaching that causes the ruckus! She took a seat in the middle and put out all her stuff, notebook, quill, textbook, and wand unti the professor started speaking and mentioned that they wouldn't be using wands. She should've known that. She sheepishly put her wand away and listened intently as Professor Grayson spoke of what history was and then asked why history needed to be learned. The girl listened as oneof her housemates gave a rather broad answer about how they learned to not repeat the pasts mistakes and whatnot but she was sure there were other reasons. Especially since they had gone through two magical wars and the muggles had two world wars so, something had to give. Caty raised her hand hesitantly and only spoke when she was called upon. "I think history has to be learned to not be forgotten and not just to learn from. Sometimes the bad stuff in history can turn into good stuff and vice versa but no one would know or remember without being told or it being written down." ஐﻬ

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Quote:

Quote:

I'll think of a mermaid lagoon
Oh--underneath a magic moon
I'll think I'm in a pirate's cave
I'll think I'll be an Indian brave
Now, everybody try--one, two, three!
We can fly! We can fly! We can fly!

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:28 pm
I'm gonna be released from behind these lines...
And I don't care whether I live or die.
And I'm losing blood, I'm gonna leave my bones-
And I don't want your heart; it leaves me cold.
I don't want your future; I don't need your past!
One bright moment is all I ask!
I'm gonna leave my body; moving up to higher ground...
I'm gonna lose my mind; history keeps pulling me down!

User Image
D I A N T H A
S I Â N
W A R L O W

ravenclaw │ first year │ halfblood

Di had always loved history, and expected to very much enjoy this class. The professor was bespectacled and sporting an odd goatee, and asked them almost immediately to put away their wands. Di did as she was told, albeit somewhat reluctantly. She was familiar enough with wizarding history; she knew what could be considered the basics, and had learned them on her father's knee. Of course, he'd always twisted everything into grand stories with epic battles and courageous heroines named Diantha, so he was hardly a historian. She eagerly raised her hand at his open ended question from her seat in the front. "Because our history is inescapable. It's like.... like if you toss a pebble into water. There's ripples. So the aftereffects of what happened in the past can still be felt in the future. The past is part of our present. So to speak. We can't understand our now without understanding the then. And people are histories! We're speaking English right now, but we didn't come up with it ourselves. Magical society wasn't created yesterday. Everything evolves over time, and is evolving still." She felt as though she could have gone on, but managed to cut herself off there.

OOC:
Username

I don't need a husband, don't need no wife...
And I don't need the day, I don't need the night!
And I don't need the birds, let them fly away-
And I don't want the clouds, they never seem to stay.
I don't want no future; I don't need no past!
One bright moment is all I ask!
I'm gonna leave my body; moving up to higher ground...
I'm gonna lose my mind; history keeps pulling me down!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:18 pm

User ImageUser Image

"Aw, man, History of Magic!" Ralph's face dropped with disappointment as he looked at his schedule. It was his first day at Hogwarts and the first class he had to go to was History of Magic? How boring! Ralph didn't like history as much as he liked the idea of casting spells and making potions. You know, the useful stuff.

But Ralph couldn't fathom why History of Magic could be useful to him at all. He didn't care about what some dead bloke did twenty thousand years before he was born. Ralph didn't care about who invented this do-hickey or that who-done-it-thingy over there. What were they going to do for him? Hm? If so-and-so-from-the-past wanted to invent Ralph a new broom that could make him a better flyer, then sign Ralph up for History of Magic!

Instead, he was stuck with a boring classroom with books lining the bookshelves on every wall. Desks where the wood had designs carved into them by witches and wizards too bored out of their minds to pay attention to anything happening in class. Ralph inspected the cartoons with mild interest, making mental notes of the artwork, that circle could have been bigger... why's that line even there? Who is that supposed to be?.

The class had already started a while ago but Ralph had no mind to pay attention. He was seated with his fellow Slytherins, not even fully realizing that he had drifted to them absent-mindedly. He supposed that meant he truly was meant for Slytherin House, which made Ralph slightly happier. But still on and on they droned about "history" and what they thought it meant to them. It was just driving Ralph mad.

"I think history has to be learned to not be forgotten and not just to learn from. Sometimes the bad stuff in history can turn into good stuff and vice versa but no one would know or remember without being told or it being written down." A Slytherin girl piped up, adding another reason why history of magic was important to the mix. Ralph turned his head to get a better look at who spoke.

The girl was seated right behind him, with hair the color of amber. Ralph had seen her around, but this was the first class they had together. The more he thought about it, the more Ralph realized he hadn't met anyone yet. The first night he was with Effy and Tristan, who were helping him unpack his bags (mostly Effy, if Ralph was going to be a little honest), but then that was it. He hadn't really met any other first year.

As more students contributed to the professor's question, Ralph simply rested his arm on his desk and his chin on his palm. His eyes screamed "bored" as they drooped. Or perhaps he was just a tad sleepy from not sleeping well the night before. Ralph yawned and struggled to stay awake.

Vampire Toy

Fashionable Pumpkin

9,375 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Partygoer 500

OliMcD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:35 pm
User Image xxAll hail the underdogs
xxAll hail the new kids
xxAll hail the outlaws
xxSpielberg's and Kubrick's

C H E L S E Ax A L T Ax V A Nx A S T E N
GryffindorFirst YearEleven Years OldMuggleborn

When Chessie had seen her schedule that morning, all of her energy had instantly depleted. She’d been so eager to start using magic, but History of Magic didn’t sound like much fun. The muggle version of history was her least favorite subject in school, primarily because her teacher was a monotonous droner who, while he may have been passionate about his subject, gave little regard for whether or not his students were actually learning. He’d once asked Chessie why she wasn’t paying attention, and she’d replied that she was bored. He said it wasn’t his job to entertain her, and continued his lecture. The experience still revolted Chess. Of course it was his job to entertain her! A good teacher did whatever it took to engage their students. Anyway, it was enough to turn her off to the subject, and she spent most of her time in that class doodling. Hopefully in History of Magic, they’d at least get to learn some old spells or something. She’d gone to class with her fingers crossed.

Caty was there when she arrived, and Chess had taken a seat next to her acquaintance and given a wave. She hadn’t seen any of her traveling companions since the sorting, and wanted to catch up. There wasn’t time for that now, though. Before long, the teacher had commenced his class, and Chessie put off the chit chat until later. She took note of the professor’s name before he announced that wands wouldn’t be necessary. It was salt on Chessie’s wound. There was no way she’d manage to keep her focus if they weren’t even able to use magic. Instead all they were going to do was talk about magic. The first year slouched back in her chair, slackened her jaw, and looked around the room. This was going to be a long class.

OOC:
Username

It's our time to make a move
It's our time to make amends
It's our time to break the rules
Let's begin

First Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 52 53 54 55 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games