Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark
Arc 2 - Heart of a Monster (Completed) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... 80 81 82 83 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:12 pm

"Do what you want." Valac stated plainly annoyed at being slowed down to only be 'allowed' to go do what he wanted to do anyways.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:28 pm

Without a word, Abby walks out of the garrison and enters the back of her covered wagon. With one swift motion, she beckons for Twyla and Revenge to follow her. Once everyone is inside, she speaks in a lowered voice.

"We have to get the others; they are in danger. I have no idea how Aria found out and got here so quick, but I'm sure this town is now infested with their agents. Those three in there played it cool, but I'm sure they recognized me. They had lenses in their helmets, no doubt to shield them from Petra's gaze. If they know I am here, as well, they will send soldiers equipped to nullify my mind attacks and illusions."

Abby buries her head in her hands as tears begin to well up in her eyes. "Oh, how could I have been so careless? This is all my fault. They must have suspected Petra might be here, but now they know I am here for sure. Everyone is in danger now, all because I didn't stay hidden."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Petra cranes her neck up towards Kuori and, through her trembling, a small smile breaks across her face from underneath her hood. "Right... I trust you. I'll lead us to our house, but I'll stay outside for now."

Petra leads Valac and Kuori down the street to the house where she and Abby had stayed. The the house looks vacant with no outwards signs of occupancy. Curtains were drawn over all the windows and the front door locked. Petra produces a key and attempts to unlock the front door but the key doesn't turn "T-they must have changed the locks. There is a door in the back, but it's probably locked too."

Kowsauni
Crew

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:35 am

Kuori left an arrow in the wood of the building to denote her presence to the others.
Kuori looked to Valac and said, "Guess we need the Tiefling to cast a knock spell. I heard weapons make great tools for channeling that magic."
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:35 pm

Revenge would frown as his wife covered her face, but did not immediately go to comfort her. Instead, with all due seriousness, he would turn to Twyla.

"Twyla, what's the casting time on the Sending ritual? We might not have time to get the others. If Abby's right about her being recognized, our best bet to stay below the radar is to engage this men now, before they can inform their comrades. If we have time, we'll definitely need the others, but if not, we may have to hope they realize we're taking too long and come looking for us on their own."

Quote:
If the DM would be so kind, 17 arcana to aid another on Twyla's own check, at least?

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:09 am

Valac shook his head at how novice Kuori was at this as he went round the house to the back. Then depending on what's back there a loud crash as wood is splintered and Valac forces entry (strength check 18 vs dc 16 for a wooden door) or a loud thud as his foot impacts but the door holds (dc 20 barred) or he finds something else completely (gm discretion).
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:49 pm

Twyla felt perturbed. This wasn't turning out at all like she'd hoped. Her hopes of helping the guards were beginning to sink.

"I... I don't really know... You think that's what they're doing? I, well, I can't really do stuff like that, so I don't know..." She listened to the streets outside. Everything still seemed calm.

"We have to reconnect with them somehow. They could be in trouble themselves. I mean, they went to the place where the guards were petrified... That could be a place Aria would check out, too. If we wait around for them, they might not come back! Then we'll have wasted more time than if we just went to them right away. Besides, Abby brought us here. What if they don't know the way?"

She shook her head. "No, we can't just assume they'll come to us. We're stronger together. But we do need to stay hidden. Maybe..."

She looked at Abby quizzically. "Miss Abby? If the way you look, uh... isn't how you REALLY look... can you change it? Can you look more than one way? What I mean is, can you disguise yourself with magic?"

((Arcana to figure out sending: 18 sweatdrop DM tells me it's a fail.))

AlphabetFish

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:32 pm

"I think it's entirely likely, if I were a betting Ling. When I was in Lupa, the Arians we encountered there had access to some magical tricks, such as potions of invisibility. Though... this hunch depends entirely on if your assertion that they recognized you was correct, Abby," he would say, addressing his wife. "If they did, why didn't they make a move on us then, or at least concoct some justification of keeping us there in their sights? That seems sloppy to let us wander off, especially knowing that you'd recognize them. Either they're about to set off a visual or auditory signal, or they're contacting backup with magic..."

He would pause, looking thoughtful.

"Unless they use carrier pigeons for long-range messages directly from the garrison?" He would look quizzically at his wife for confirmation or denial.

"That... probably means they aren't confident of their ability to definitely stop the three of us by themselves." He would lift his gauntlet to his face, covering his mouth and chin with it. "I hope I'm not reading this wrong..."

Groaning, he would move his hand to the back of his head. "I think rituals take longer than most spells that wizards typically cast, since they can do so in seconds during combat. But I don't know how long, and we need to decide now. I'd hate to lose any advantage we have since we have so few..."

Suddenly, he would perk up.

"Twyla, when I first joined up with you, you had done some sort of auditory ruse trick that Abby and I heard from the street. Is there some way you could do so again? If they're on to us, I don't think we stand to lose much if we can somehow make a big enough racket to draw the others to us. Kuori seems to have good perceptive skills, she'd likely pick up on it, especially since she's probably expecting trouble. And if they don't come running, we'll know that they're the ones likely in danger and we can rush there instead - because at that point, we don't stand to lose much by letting these ones here go, since too many would know about our presence here at that point."

Revenge would move to the edge of the wagon, and peer around at the surroundings.

Quote:
Perception of 24. Is there something noisy - structure-wise - within sight and short distance? Ideally, a belltower.

"There's... one other option to consider, but I don't like it," he would say, before peering back over his shoulder. "We could give up on the guards and run for it. Run to the other side of town, grab the others, and try to put as much distance between us and them as we can. But I don't like the idea of abandoning anyone."
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:52 pm

Valac moves into the narrow alleyway behind the house and kicks the back door with all his might. The door pops off its iron hinges and falls forward. However, as it falls, the tiefling hears a metallic click. Smoke colored gas suddenly floods the area around Valac, and he immediately feels drowsy. The barbarian tries to resist the effects, but after a few seconds Valac's vision fades to darkness. (Valac falls unconscious.)

On the other side of the house, Kuori and Petra hear a crash, followed by a dull thud, then silence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Abby takes her hands from her face and speaks bitterly."I would say we go in there and eliminate them now, but I don't think we would get away with it surrounded by Gladesdale guards. Perhaps we should let them lead us out of the city, then jump them on the road. We just need one of them to tell us where they took the petrified guards before we're done."

When Twyla asks about her illusions, Abby would answer. "I haven't tried it yet, but I believe I could adjust the illusion I cast on myself to look like someone else. I developed it shortly after I escaped, based on a picture of myself I found in my records. If I had a different image or person to focus on, I think I could make myself look like them."

As to Revenge's question, she would respond. "I-I'm not sure how Aria sends messages. This is my first time encountering them since escaping and I... I don't really have memories of that kind of stuff from when I was being held."

The inside of the wagon is completely enclosed, but as Revenge pulls the flap open at the back to get a view he would immediately notice the stone garrison building had a bell tower, most likely used to signal the town guards of trouble. Something else would also catch the Tiefling's eyes. Several birds would suddenly take off from a barred window in the garrison. Their flight seemed a little too organized to be natural. The birds would immediately fan out and seem to head for different parts of town.

Revenge would also see that one of the Aria soldiers had come outside and seemed to be making small talk with the guard at the door.

Kowsauni
Crew

PupSage rolled 2 20-sided dice: 15, 7 Total: 22 (2-40)

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:06 am

Kuori knocks an arrow and tells Petra "Stay in front of me, so that I can see you. Stay low so I can fire if neccessary." Coming around into the alleyway she saw the smoke and listened for any sign of Valac.

Stealth 28
Perception 18
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:34 pm

"No, no, Abby. I meant, do the guardsmen themselves have any..."

"... any..."

Revenge's head would tilt and follow something out of sight of the others.

"Nevermind. They do. Okay, then. Now this has transitioned from minutes to prevent the message from getting out, to minutes for getting away." Ducking back into the wagon, Revenge would turn and moved towards his wife. Grasping her by the shoulders, he would nod to her.

"I'm all for getting to the others now. Abby, my love..." He would look to her, trying to look into her eyes as best he can. "You're going to need to get this wagon moving as quickly as you can. Now that they've sent out warnings to their compatriots, there's nothing from stopping those soldiers in the garrison from attacking us now, even if they're at a disadvantage. Can you do that?"

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

AlphabetFish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:16 am

"Oh, yeah, the noise thing, I could do that again! It's a little trick I know, kind of like throwing your voice, except you throw a lot more than just voice. It's a gnome thing, you know, you wouldn't understand." She looked oddly smug, then suddenly she put a finger to her chin as if in thought. "I could make it sound like the song Miss Odessa played on her violin; Miss Kuori might recognize that without other people knowing what it meant."

At Abby's response, Twyla would say, "Oh, that's great! So if you looked at someone on the street, you could copy them? Then we could skedaddle out of here with you in disguise driving the wagon!"

Suddenly Revenge ducked back into the wagon, sounding agitated. Twyla immediately mirrored his mood. "What'd you see? What'd you see? Are they coming at us?? Miss Abby, if you can disguise yourself fast, do it, otherwise let's just get out of here!"
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:26 pm

Petra nodded and began to creep around the side of the building in front of Kuori. Once they got closer to the back, Kuori heard the sound of movement. As they rounded the corner to the back, Petra and Kuori saw a man standing over Valac, patting him down. He had already removed Valac's Fullblade and placed it to the side.

At first the man did not seem to notice them, but once Kuori and Petra had walked around the corner into view he would straighten up and turn to them. The man looked to be in his mid to late 30's with messy orange hair. He wore dark colored leather armor with a black cloak. He also had on smoked glass spectacles and was armed with a hand crossbow. Across his chest were strapped several vials and small glass jars.

Once he saw Kuori had her bow drawn, he raised his hand crossbow as well. "More would-be burglars, eh? I assure you this isn't a fight you want."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Abby would look back at her husband. In her eyes, he could see she was still quite unsettled by this turn of events. He could only assume seeing Arian soldiers again must conjure back terrible memories for her. "R-right, I'll take us back to Petra and the others. We will be safer together. It will take me some time to perfect a new illusion. It would be best if we just get going now."

Just as Abby was about to move out to the driver seat of the wagon, a scrap of parchment was slipped into into the wagon through a gap in the boards. For anyone who picks it up, they would find a hastily written note in common.

They know who you are
The exits are being watched
You are in danger
I want to help
Red Lion Inn
Half an hour

Kowsauni
Crew

AlphabetFish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:34 pm

Twyla nodded at Abby. "Okay. I'm ready." Twyla situated herself safely--a small thing like her tended to get jostled about quite badly if she wasn't holding fast to something as the wagon moved--when she suddenly spotted a slip of paper slid into the wagon. She snatched it. "What's this...?"

Her eyes widened and she clapped a hand over her mouth as if to stifle a gasp. She passed the note to Revenge and Abby silently, then crept over to the wagon's flap. She peeked out, looking for someone, anyone, who looked like they might have something to do with this... and also checking the coast for Aria. If they were being watched, maybe she could tell who was doing it.

((Twyla stealths to the wagon flap to peer out without being noticed by anyone outside: Stealth check of 20. Then Twyla looks to see if she sees anyone who might have left the note, or if she sees anyone from Aria: Perception check of 20))
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:35 am

Kuori's bow stayed true, (if he attacks I am using an immediate interuption ), "So says the squatter. This home belongs to my," Her brain went onto the defensive, "employer, and I was told to come check it out and investigate the crime that happened earlier in the week. Meanwhile the locks are changed, my friend is ..." She watched the body move with signs of breathing, "Knocked out, and a squatter is pointing a weapon at me. I've shot men for less. Potions and crossbow on the ground and we can get all civil like. Otherwise, your outnumbered, and outskilled, and we can see if this is indeed a fight I want or not. Any day I kill an Arian is a good day."

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:45 pm

The man makes no move to lower his weapons as he stands next to Valac's unconscious form. He muses over Kuori's words. "Oh? What an odd comment to suddenly make. You must be involved in all this then."

He would suddenly peer a little closer at Petra who would gather her cloak around her tighter. "Hmm... are you perhaps the one they are looking for?" The man would examine Petra for a moment longer, before suddenly lowering his weapon. "Welp. I'm not being paid for that, so if you would kindly gather your friend here and bugger off it would be most appreciated. Thanks to you I now have to get this door repaired. Honestly, have you heard of knocking? Your so-called 'employer' must have been the one who was squatting, for there were no records of anyone owning this place within the last several months. I am now the legal resident of this house."

((Just as a side note: the man is currently not making any aggressive actions, but if you wish to start combat, roll initiative. There is no surprise round here.))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Twyla deftly looks out of the wagon flap, she does not feel like anyone specifically pays her notice, partly because she only sees one person outside and it is the lazy Gladesdale guard at the garrison door watching a bug crawl across the ground. However, out of the corner of her eye, she does catch the glint of the heel of a platemail boot as its owner walks into the garrison. Beyond that, the curious gnome does not notice anything else.
[D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... 80 81 82 83 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games