Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark
Arc 2 - Heart of a Monster (Completed) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 80 81 82 83 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:41 pm

"The violin music is a good idea. But they'll be upon us soon if we don't get moving now, so use that when we get closer to where Petra and the others are if we don't spot them immediately," Revenge would advise.

About to see Abby to the front of the wagon, he would hear Twyla's reaction to the note. Revenge would frown.

"We don't know if we'll have that luxury. Let's worry about that later after we find the others, and not a minute sooner," he would say. Assuming the note was genuine, there's not much to be done if they find themselves fighting for their lives. Plus, the implication that they might be trapped was unnerving; the more time that passed, the tighter the noose would become so they had no time to spare.

A lot could happen in thirty minutes' time, but Revenge had other obligations he had to see to first.

"Twyla, one of us should stay with Abby, the other should keep an eye on the back in case we're followed. I could probably better protect her, but you'd be less conspicuous," he would say, indicating his plate mail with his left hand. He'd let her make that call.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:42 pm

"You protect her, then. A gnome in this city is still pretty rare, so I don't think I'll be that much more inconspicuous, and was have to watch out for Miss Abby. I'll watch out the back."

She would move to the back of the wagon and keep an eye out. "I'm ready when you guys are. Once we're all together again, we can really find out what's going on here!"

((Perception: 15 to keep an eye out as we move.))

AlphabetFish

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:30 pm

((Christmas/Hannukah/New Years))

Kuori would approach Valac and give him a stern kick. "Get up." That failing she would grab him by the collar of his armor and drag him to the alley before scooping him up from under his arms and using him as a human shield as she backed out of the alleyway.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:11 am

Valac doesn't react to being kicked and has to be dragged away, though he is obviously alive by his snoring. The man watches them leave before disappearing back into the house. Once they are out of the alleyway, Petra attempts to wake up Valac but to no avail; whatever hit him was quite some potent stuff. From around the corner, Kuori hears the sound of the man propping up the door back into its door frame.

Through her passive perception, Kuori notices something else. Up above her at a window on the second floor, a bird is pecking at the glass. The window then suddenly opens and a pair of hands reach out and grab the bird before pulling it into the house and quickly closing the window. From her angle beneath the window, Kuori could not tell anything about the person other than the hands look to belong to a small person, smaller than an adult human.

Petra would speak in a hushed tone. "I-I didn't recognize that person at all, but he seemed dangerous. I don't think he is Arian, but he seemed to know something. W-what do you think we should do?"

((Valac, roll me a d20, on a result of 15 or more you wake up, otherwise you remain unconscious. A heal check of the same DC can also be made to awaken Valac.))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the group rides through town towards the residential district, no one stands out as following the wagon. Abby would stop the wagon outside the house where Petra was discovered. The door to the house is shut and nothing seems out of the ordinary, but there is no sign of Petra, Kuori or Valac. Abby pulls back the flap and leans into the wagon. "We're here, but I don't see any sign of them. They might have moved on to my and Petra's house. Should we check it out here or move on to my house first?"

Kowsauni
Crew

AlphabetFish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:36 pm

Twyla rubbed her chin in thought. "It's not really like Kuori and Valac to be quiet. I would have expected to see arrows flying through the air or hear a bunch of demonic yelling if they were here. Maybe a few new statues in the yard if Petra was here..."

She would look around as best she could, to see if there was any sign of them, but she had a hard time investigating well without getting out of the wagon. ((Perception: 8 ))

She would turn to Abby and shrug. "I think we'd better check the other house first to see if anything's going on there before we try to do much here. Maybe they DID move on... or maybe they never made it."
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:29 pm

Kuori watched the window and said, "Might be hired muscle. Definitely didn't seem like the settling down in a small town type, especially given the knockout gas trap." She smacked his cheeks a little bit and added, "Once he wakes up we will grab the others. Might need Abby to ditch the wagon and take horses out to catch up with the ones that left."

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:56 pm

With a smirk, Revenge would look towards Twyla at the back of the wagon. "And with that, you've made it so I will never doubt your analysis of a situation again." Though he would frown soon after. "What do you mean by diabolic, though? Is that what he was trying to sound like during the fight with the plant dragon? Was he trying to imitate some sort of demon? I thought it was just angry gibberish. You know... barbarianspeak."

Exhaling through his nose, he would turn back to scan the area in front of the wagon, where he was positioned. "I'm confident they would have made it this far, at least. If there was some sort of encounter, I doubt they'd have been able to clean it up so quickly. If they had enough force to simply end it without confrontation... well..."

"I'd rather not think that anything we do is ultimately pointless like that."

A few moments of silence, and his tail swished a few times.

"I think they could have either moved on like you said, Abby, or they could have doubled back to where the garrison was, to find us."

Quote:
Perception of 25 to spot anyone who looks like they might have been here for a while, maybe seen some s**t adventuring.

"One of us could just get out and ask if anyone has seen them. No sense to make this any more difficult than necessary."
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:42 am

As Kuori, Petra and Valac hover in the walk space between Abby's house and the one next to it, she would hear the window above her open once more and observe a bird come flying back out and take off over the houses. The window would then shut again. Peta attempts to wake up Valac once more but he just snores louder at her efforts.

((Valac may again attempt to wake up, adding his Constitution modifier this time. DC is still 15))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Revenge peeks out of the wagon, he sees a few people walking by, but they seem to be just going about their day; no one seems to be acting like they've seen something out of the ordinary or have been lingering in the area.

Abby would tell everyone in the wagon, "My house is just a few minutes up the road from here. Let's check there real quick and then we can double back. It's where Petra would have taken them next." She would add reassuringly, "I'm sure nothing has happened yet; those three would not go down quietly."

Kowsauni
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Revenge would nod silently, keeping his eyes peeled forward.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Kuori Drags Valac back out to the street, propping him against a building and smacking him a little harder. "Hey dumb a**, wake up, we'be gotta move."

(9 medicine ... fail)

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:42 pm

As Kuori and Petra struggle to wake their sleeping companion up, Valac has a dream...

You are awakened by the gentle rocking of a wagon and the dull pain resonating from your chest. You look down and see a large runic design, freshly tattooed into your skin. You soon realize you are not alone as well.

Riding beside you with his hand on the reins is a man dressed in black. He looks to be in his mid 20s, with messy orange hair and glasses. He looks down at you as you look up at him. "Awake already, eh? She warned me that might happen. You have quite the constitution for a little guy. You probably don't remember, well, anything, but all you need to know is I'm taking you somewhere safe, so I need you to behave, okay? She said you have issues with that, but now's not the time."

Ahead you through the hazy evening light, you see a large stone wall looming into your vision. A pair of armored guards in blue tabards stand by a portcullis in this wall. The man driving the wagon suddenly throws a cloak over your head and whispers to you, "All right, now, put this on and stay quiet; we are about to pass through the border and we don't need any trouble, okay? She's paying me a lot for this, but its more in your best interests than mine, you got it? Okay, then, here we go."

((...to be continued if Valac doesn't make his save. 15 dc heal check can also still be used to awaken him.))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With a nod, Abby guides the wagon further down the road. After few minutes she reaches her house, where the party sees Kuori propping Valac up against a wall of another house, smacking him. He is unresponsive. Petra is standing by, though it is impossible to get a read on her shrouded face, but from her posture she seemed worried. Villagers walking down the road look in their direction as they pass by, but otherwise go on about their business. It is getting later in the afternoon and people seem to be heading out after eating their lunch at home.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:10 am

""..."

From the wagon, Revenge would lift one gauntleted hand up, burying his face in it in shame.

"To be honest, this isn't what I expected, but I'm disappointed in myself for not expecting it," he would say aloud to his fellow wagon-goers. When it neared, he would dismount, and take a few steps towards Petra. "I'm not going to ask what happened, just that if you are all right, Petra."

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:05 pm

Kuori looks at Revenge, "Help me get him into the wagon. We need to drop some weight and get on the road fast. I'll explain later, but..." She points at Abby's house, "It isn't safe here." She began to lift Valac onto her shoulder, hunching so the Revenge could get the other side. Once they were in the wagon she would say, "Mercenary moved into your house Abby, apparently you were squatting ..." she points up and says, "They sent out a message via carrier pidgeon while I was there too."

-------------------IF WE GET AT LEAST A BLOCK AWAY------------------

Kuori adds, "Apparently Aria left a few days ago with the petrified guards. They should be pretty weighed down, so if we hurry we may catch up."

Medicine 14!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:39 pm

"Ohoho, what do we have here?" Twyla watched with interest as Valac was brought in. "He seems okay, just sleepy! Maybe I can wake him up!" She patted his chest, poked his horns, and opened one eyelid. He didn't stir. Twyla stood up and brushed off her hands. "Well, I've done all I can do!"

((Heal check: 14! sweatdrop ))

She moved to the opening of the wagon to peer at the house. "A mercenary? What mercenary? I'd sure like to talk to him...

"But, too bad, we have a date already! We need to be back at the inn soon to talk to whoever gave us this note! At least, well, I want to talk to them... What do you guys think?"

She would hold the note out to Kuori and Petra, eyes shining eagerly.

AlphabetFish

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Petra would respond to Revenge. "I-I'm all right but Valac got knocked out by some sort of gas when he kicked down the back door to our house. There's some scary guy in black residing in our house now. He seemed to know something about us, but he told us to go away and didn't try to attack us. W-we... think Aria might be here in town. The people in the house I hid in described talking to people that sounded like them."

"They are here." Abby would chime in bluntly. "We met them at the garrison. Some of them left town with the petrified guards this morning and we are 'supposed' to leave with more of them in less than an hour now to rendezvous with the group that has the guards. And then we received a mysterious note, which Twyla can share with you."

In response to Kuori, she would respond. "I don't know where safe would be right now, but apparently they're watching the exits out of town so we can't leave unless we want them to be upon us. And as for the house, he's half right. I did pay to live there, but I destroyed all official records so it couldn't be traced to me. I guess it was the right call."

Abby would let out a sigh. "I don't know what their plans are or what they are waiting for, but you say there is a mercenary in my old house who might know something? Do you think he is alone in there? Now that we are all here, perhaps we could persuade him to give us some information, or at least to wake Valac. And then there is the matter of the note."

Petra helps move Valac into the back of the wagon and climbs in. When Twyla shows her the note she looks at it for a moment, but then shakes her head. "I-I don't know if I trust it, but I don't know what else we can do if we are trapped here now." She then goes about trying to awaken Valac.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valac's dream continues...

You couldn't see it from your place in the wagon, but something must have gone wrong, for suddenly you hear the sound of steel clashing and a muffled explosion. Black smoke begins to billow around the wagon and the orange haired man suddenly jumps back into the wagon, clutching his side. He gives the reins a slap and the horse bolts forward, pulling the wagon through the closing portcullis. You can barely hold on as the wagon takes off into the night. Like bats out of hell, you ride across the ever darkening countryside until you come to the edge of a forest.

The man dismounts and pulls you from the wagon. It is obvious he is bleeding from his side. "All right, I need you to hide in the forest for now. I know you're tough. You'll be fine. I've got to get these guys off our tail and then I'll come back for you. Stay hidden from people until you see me again, got it? I know you're probably pretty confused right now, but I'll explain more later. Now I've got to get going. They aren't that far behind, but I'll be back for sure. Now go hide!"

The man tosses you a bag of trail rations and takes off with his wagon into the night. No sooner is he gone then a demon, familiar to you, appears besides you. "I thought that pest would never leave. We don't need that fool. I'm your, yeah, older brother. You don't remember because those mortals erased your memories, but don't worry I will fill you in on everything you forgot. Now we must lay our plans to make us--uh, I mean you, of course--lord of this accursed place. But first you have to wake up! Please wake up! We need your help. Wake up, Valac!"

Valac opens his eyes to see Petra leaning over him with her hood off. Her face is filled with worry. You notice you are staring up at the roof of Abby's wagon, a very different place than you remember last being.
[D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 80 81 82 83 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games