Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Cost of a Dog Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you pay for your critters' care?
I work full-time
15%
 15%  [ 121 ]
I work part-time
15%
 15%  [ 124 ]
My parents pay for stuff
53%
 53%  [ 421 ]
Other (feel free to elaborate)
15%
 15%  [ 122 ]
Total Votes : 788

Uzumaki_Rukia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:33 pm
the price becomes worth it because they love you unconditionally, they will never insult you and they will never judge you like most humans will so i think animals are better than people because, Hey, they were green before it became cool.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:47 pm
I suggest that people adopt from the Humane Society, if they're looking to save some money. In my area, the puppies are spayed, neutered, and given all immunizations for first-years. Same with the kittens. =3

Also, as first year puppies, expect WAY more miscellaneous. My pup chewed her way through $1000 worth of shoes! And we tried EVERYTHING. Putting them on the top shelf (the Great Dane knocked them down for her), spraying them with the anti-bite stuff (she didn't care), buying her chew toys (she only cared for the shoes), and many other things. She just loved those shoes...

Granola-chan

lanieloo8

1,250 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:08 pm
HEY IM LIKE HAPPI CUZ I THINK THAT ITZ BETTER 2 HAVE PARENTS ON THE JOB 2 PAY FER STUFF SO U KAN PAY FER CLOTHES AN D STUFF heart heart  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:02 pm
I've heard that a puppy that is untrained costs more than a dog that is trained!  

Nalubej

Vilpax Jaganshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:22 am
That's one things that is wrong with the world. Everyone is looking for a puppy. But what people don't realize is that many times Buying a dog when it's a dog can be much more beneficial. Not only do you not really have to pay for it to be trained as it probably already has been. But they comprehend just what you pulled them out of better then the puppies do. We had a Dog from the pound and she was loyal and dedicated to us. My dad said it was because she knew we saved her life as she was days away from being euthanized. Not because something was wrong with her, but because they just didn't have room at the pound anymore.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:45 pm
I take my pets into this place called Florida Aid to Animals... they provide care @ discounted prices and they are wonderful!!!  

HisTechnoAngel

gigi1232

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:57 am
my mom buys all of the cat suplies.'^_^  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:39 am
Yeah, my dog Guss, who is a purebred black lab cost 300$ when we first bought him, and my adopted dog cost 400$ and then guss had to get a hip replacement, which cost a ton of money, but it is really worth the cost if you love dogs. They are your best friend for life, even if that life can sometimes be expensive.  

jfederer62

intreker05

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:58 pm
I spend so much more than that every year on my dogs. I probably spend around $200 just on Christmas presents for them, but I have three and they're my babies. I'm not home right now, and I think I miss my dogs more than my parents. I work at an animal shelter at school and a ton of college students adopt dogs thinking it's going to be easy. It's not, taking care of a dog is like taking care of a baby, they need time, love, attention, and money. And if you're not willing to give a dog (or cat or rabbit or any animal) that, they you don't need to have one.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:45 pm
when i got my dog my parents said i had to pay for everything. if i dont have the money then they pay and i pay them back. when i got her i did not relize how much money and work a dog would require but i love her and would never give her up. i love her sooooo much  

gabriella111

Rose Goddess of Shadows

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:24 pm
Well right now my parents are paying for the stuff if i had a job i would be paying for it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:04 pm
That is a good estimate, because I have 2 large breed dogs and they have been expensive so far (10 months)  

sweet carrot-101

sagirafire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:42 pm
On a side-note from dogs...

I own a flock of sheep, and I needed to budget out exactly how much it would cost to keep them all. So, I created a table of feed costs* per month and per year. This is based on current feed prices (grain, grass hay, alfalfa) and doesn't take into account yearly fluctuations in cost, or rising grain prices.

Cost of Sheep:
1 Aged Ram (over 2 years): $57.50/month, $690.00/year
1 Yearling Ram (over 1 year and under 2): $56.50/month, $678.00/year
1 Aged Ewe (over 2 years): $439/year - because breeding ewes' feed changes throughout the year from maintenance, gestation, and lactation, there is no accurate monthly cost.
1 Yearling Ewe (over 1 year and under 2):$50.80/month, $609/year
Ram and Ewe Lamb (under 1 year): $48.00/month, $576.00/year - ram and ewe lambs are kept together because they are not yet sexually mature, so their feed costs are the same.

* This table is for feed ONLY. It doesn't take into account medical bills of any sort.

You can expect to add on about $4.00/sheep/year for regular injections/dewormers (medications are cheaper when you buy them in bulk for farms).

If some unexpected medical condition comes up in a sheep, unless the sheep has a higher than average value, you will most likely destroy the sheep rather than put out hundreds of dollars to save it. It's just not economically smart to try to save every sheep. This may sound harsh, but its life on a farm.

That being said, cheaper medical issues you just have to suck it up and spend the money. I live in the Pacific NW, and it rains constantly here. As such, in the areas the sheep travel a lot (outside the barn door, the water tank, the outside feeder) tends to get muddy. As in, up to your knees mud. During these times of the year, foot scald and hoof rot are prevalent, and you can spend anywhere from $5-$20 on every sheep that comes down with it.

If you were curious, the cost of my sheep's feed totaled out to be approximately $556/month, and $6672/year. For 12 sheep. Insane. I don't know why I bother.

Oh yeah, cause I love them. For some weird reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:01 am
Dogs are worth all that money, they're your best friend, and I couldn't care how much they cost. And I wouldn't know how much it costs, my parents deal with that.

Remus_Lupin3

Mysticnymph

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:25 pm
I do all the physical work with the animals ... feeding, walking, playing, etc ... and my Dad pays for the food and vet visits. One of the girls, Flo, recently had ACL surgery ... we are fourtunate because we live in a small town, the surgery and antibiotics amounted to 265.00. She had to go back to the vet last week because she bruised her knee and developed a fluid pocket ... Dr. Armstrong drained the fluid and put her on 10 days worth of antibiotics (as a precautionary measure), all for free. Other than the bruise, Flo is healing well ... heart ... yay!!  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff