Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Convention Attention: HOW ANNOYING! D:< Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sith Faced

Spacey Nymph

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:21 am
I have serious beef with the people who half a** their cosplays. If you care about a character enough to want to dress up as them, show them some respect. I hate all the people who stick a Naruto headband on while wearing jeans and a Death Note shirt and call it cosplay.
-I also don't like the people who try to take your picture without asking you. Obviously, because I'm there, and in cosplay, I am anticipating being photographed. However, I'd rather that I was given some warning, so I could pose for you. Not random snapshots :I
-People who go to cons to meet 'pretty girls'. I had so many guys trying to grope me when they hugged me or kiss me or get my number at Sakuracon '09 it was terrible. If I wanted to get a date, I'd go to the Speed-Dating panel, thanks. stare
-CON FUNK. AWefjao;weihf Shower, people, SHOWER! Or at least, please wear deodorant! ;__;
-I understand that once apon a time, I was a Japanophile, but unless you are in middle school, you have no excuse to be screaming "KAWAII DESU NEEEE" or "BAKABAKABAKA". Ugh. No tolerance for that at all.
-Glomping without warning. I got flying-tackle glomped at SakuraCon '08, and ended up scraping my elbow, and it bled. That sucked.
-People who don't cosplay something that is right for their body shape. Don't get me wrong, there are characters of all shapes and sizes, but no one wants to see a 300 pound Sakura Haruno chasing after a tiny Sasuke :/ Cosplay what fits you, don't try to squeeze into something that clearly isn't right for you.

... I sound so mean ;___;  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:11 pm
Dementia DarkMoon

It's kaaaaaaaay. I'm mean too. bffs? <3 We can be meanies together.

But seriously, con funk makes me pissy too. I can't stand people who think it's okay to wear the same thing for three days and not febreeze it or shower.... YOU WILL STINK NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE! So consider the rest of us. Dx

AirborneInfection

Sith Faced

Spacey Nymph

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:40 pm
AirborneInfection
Dementia DarkMoon

It's kaaaaaaaay. I'm mean too. bffs? <3 We can be meanies together.

But seriously, con funk makes me pissy too. I can't stand people who think it's okay to wear the same thing for three days and not febreeze it or shower.... YOU WILL STINK NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE! So consider the rest of us. Dx

Yay! :'D
For real. With my friends, one of them did cosplay the same thing three days, but she understood that it was imperative to shower every night, and febreeze her cosplay. She smelled fine because of this P:  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:02 am
Do you think it's too much to ask for much of the con staff to get sensitivity training before they are sent to monitor the unwashed masses? It's easy for power to go to their heads sometimes, especially at the bigger cons.  

RyanJakobi

Aged Humorist

23,925 Points
  • NPCon Attendee 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500

Lady Charlotte Elbourne

Virtuous Friend

10,725 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:15 pm
Oh, I have some convention horror stories to tell, and several peeves and annoyances that I can't even count. Lesse...

Horror stories first: I was at Kumoricon 09 this year, and I entered my Neo Queen Serenity into the cosplay contest. So, its an hour or so before my costume judging, and I am standing in the lobby chatting to my friends, and someone decided to open a strawberry Ramune bottle, and it literally exploded, leaving a huge STAIN on my WHITE cosplay. Man, I started crying so bad because I had a judging in an hour, and I was freaked. The girl was really apologetic, and she had no idea it would have done that, so it wasn't her fault, but I was so upset. So my friends, Princess Peach and Jack Sparrow, ran to the nearest store and bought me a Tide bleach pen. I ran back to my room and thankfully got it out before judging.. >> Ugh, I almost started crying again during the judging, but they were very sweet and helped me calm down, and didn't count against me if any stain was left x_x

I also, ironically, at the same convention, had this guy ask if he could take a picture with me. I was all like "Sure! ^-^" and then he put his arm around my shoulders, and hugged me to him tightly. O_O Talk about bubble invasion?! Plus, he smelled very bad (b.o) and he wouldn't let go after the picture... ;A; I was mouthing to my friend taking the pic for him "HELP ME D:" *shudders* Gah that was very unnerving.

Convention peeves:

1. COMMON MANNERS DAMMIT: If I have a dress with a train, and I am standing to the side, DO NOT STEP ON IT. I hate having shoe prints on my cosplays that I either worked very hard on or paid A LOT of money for. Please, watch where you step D:< Also, please, if I have or someone else has wings on, GIVE THEM ROOM. My Serenity wings got bent so many times cause of this ;A; granted it was hard to move about because of it, but still some people didn't even say sorry or anything when they bumped into me... Geez.

When someone wants a photo, move to an area where there is less traffic and take the picture. DON'T BLOCK HALLWAYS. Also, don't walk in front of people trying to take pictures. At least if you do, say sorry and hurry out of the way. It's rude to be uncaring and walk wherever the hell you please without considering other people.

2. Cosplay to your body type! If its a skimpy costume, make it less skimpy and more flattering to your figure D:< I don't want to see someone falling out of their tiny sailor moon costume when they are a large girl/boy. Make it fit to you so you look good in it, even if it means adding some extra cloth to a skirt/pants etc. Trust me, if you make it look better to you, you are less likely to be made fun of by a**holes at conventions.

3. Half assed cosplays. Seriously? wtf, I have seen way too many of these and it just makes me go red with rage. if you are going to cosplay, DO IT RIGHT. Make it look good, don't wimp out and do it cheap. What I mean is, don't make it look like a piece of crap, actually put effort into it or don't do it at all. Seriously. If you are, god forbid, cosplaying as Naruto, make it stand OUT. Go the extra mile and make the jumpsuit look amazing and the wig outrageous enough that people will be like, "Damn, that was an awesome Naruto! Now THAT's how it's done!" -.-;;;; If you are on a shortage of money, do something simple that isn't expensive, but make it look good.

*rants* I have many more, but this is just getting my heart racing so I think I will stop ^^; I am not mean, I swear, I just want to be treated with a certain respect wherever I go and I want to have a pleasant time, not go crying back to my hotel room because I feel like s**t because of something that happened... *has had that happen before*  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:34 pm
User Image

The whole free hug thing has gotten to me now. When I first started going to cons I thought it was awesome how people would give out random hugs to you, but now its soooo over done. You can't even walk now at cons without a group of people asking for free hugs, and some won't even let you get by without one... Seriously I don`t wanna be hugged by a person that's been sweating all day and probably hasn't had a shower once the whole weekend (Now I'm not saying that all free huggers are bad. Some are really awesome :3) It's like they pay to be there just to stand around and bother people. stressed
User Image

Dark_Fluffy-Chan

Rishiki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:12 pm
I don't have much that gets me peeved (most of them were already mentioned).

1) When someone starts off talking to you all nice but then slips in that there was something not accurate about your costume. Granted they were nice about and it was a make up problem too. It just kinda irked me because it was perfect when I put it on at 8 in the morning and it wore off by the time they said this and that was like 10 at night.

2) At masquerades, when someone is on stage singing (no the singing doesn't bother me) someone out in the audience starts singing along. It infuriated me because we were located near the back of the room and the audio wasn't that good so I couldn't hear the people on stage. The same person that sang along also talked through most of the other skits, so I couldn't hear those.

3) Those prepubescent teens who think its oh so hilarious to shout "you just lost the game" every five minutes. I don't mind losing the game but when it's done repeatedly by the same people, I begin to think very cruel thoughts. Also those same people also find it funny to swear and use inapproachable language in front of little children.

4) The people who think just because you are a 'cute' character they can touch/hug you without permission. I don't mind it so much but my little sister (when I say little she's just a year younger) hates when people get to close to her without reason. She's not anti social just very shy but she's also cute and small which makes people get to close.

Ah there, that's about all I can remember. (I'll apologize here if I ever have any misspellings or grammar mistakes)  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:59 pm
Dear god, let's not get into Narutards... Don't get me wrong, they're usually nice people. But get a lot in one place and I start scoping out my exits. One convention made the mistake of having the Naruto group photo as the Kingdom Hearts one at the same place. Needless to say, Kingdom Hearts people were forced to move. Not to mention they tend to dominate the panel if the voice actor had a major character from the show. Point: my friend went to a Yuri Lowenthal (Sasuke for those who don't know) panel. He told me they were surrounded by Naruto cosplayers. He felt sorry for Yuri since he didn't look like he was having fun, so he decides to bring up Afro Samurai. Yuri got excited, which led to him bringing up his favorite line, "You killed Sasuke!" My friend said you could see the shocked faces of the Narutards....

Another thing I hate about conventions is if the staff of the hotel dislike the con in general. Happened only once to me. The staff was kinda rude. One person who was with con staff freaked when someone spilled soda on the carpet because the hotel hated us! Nya~

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

Arephiel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:41 am
I have a gigantic aversion against Hare Hare Yukai and Caramelldansen. sweatdrop

You can't walk anywhere near most cosplayers without those god damn annoying songs and dances piping up... and with Caramelldansen specifically the 'dance' itself is so retarded that... it's just... ARGH.

I really hope the people that still think it's cute will notice how boring and ridiculous it is soon.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:11 am
Dark_Fluffy-Chan
User Image

The whole free hug thing has gotten to me now. When I first started going to cons I thought it was awesome how people would give out random hugs to you, but now its soooo over done. You can't even walk now at cons without a group of people asking for free hugs, and some won't even let you get by without one... Seriously I don`t wanna be hugged by a person that's been sweating all day and probably hasn't had a shower once the whole weekend (Now I'm not saying that all free huggers are bad. Some are really awesome :3) It's like they pay to be there just to stand around and bother people. stressed
User Image

I think that's died out on the East Coast cons now, mostly because folks in Virginia are evoking an old anti-solicitation law in order to keep the free hug signs out.

And the huggers are icky too. xp  

RyanJakobi

Aged Humorist

23,925 Points
  • NPCon Attendee 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500

Dark_Fluffy-Chan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:38 pm
RyanJakobi
I think that's died out on the East Coast cons now, mostly because folks in Virginia are evoking an old anti-solicitation law in order to keep the free hug signs out.

And the huggers are icky too. xp
User Image

Well it hasn't died down here stressed kinda wish it would... or maybe just tone it down a bit...Hopefully next year will be different.
User Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:08 pm
YAY rants...

Glomping::
I don't mind the glomping as long as they ask for your permission to do so. Because if the person randomly glomps you, they can cause damange to your cosplay or hurt themselves on your cosplay. Aside from the funk on them when doing so, some people often put WAY to much body spray or smelly stuff on them to hide their funk or if they just took a shower and wanted to smell better!

GOOD LORD PEOPLE, SOME PEOPLE DO HAVE ASTHAMA! (I dont, but a few of my friends do)

Gaming rooms with the DDR machines and computers and stuff::
They should invest in more air flow. And keep some lights on, ya so there are a few screens on because of player playing the damn games, but the lack of light while playing is bad for your eyes! And the lack of airflow casues stench and sweat! EW! Also a bigger room for Gaming, some people in cosplay likes to game to you know...

Rude Comments on Cosplaying::
This one gets me often, because I refuse to dye my hair or wear a wig with my Tifa cosplay. My hair is a natural aburn brown, so when I cosplay Tifa I just strighten may hair out more and leave it at that. So I get the comments that her hair is black blah blah blah. If people have read, watched, or looked at the original artwork of FFVII, her hair is a brown/chocolate brown (I did my research).

I also find it disrespectful when I hear people making fun of the curvy cosplayers that spent alot of time and money into making thier cosplay. That they look abosulutly amazing in their hard work only to be shot down because people say they are to "Fat" or "over-weight". That is down right rude and you should feel ashamed of yourself for stating such things, because people seem to forget, cosplaying is for fun, not to hurt people because of such insignificate things.

Half-assed cosplay::
This is a half and half subject for me. This mostly falls under wannabe Narutards being what they would call an Original Character. Or a Bleach fan wanting to be their orignal character.

However, I respect the people who have been working on their cosplay but coulden't finish it 100% of the way and have most of it done. Because they wanted to share their progress with their friends.

Dealers Room::
This is a so so thing, because you can find something the same at one table and cheaper at the next, so its okay I guess.

House Parties aka Raves::
Your dancing, your having a good time, then someone touches your a** on accident and again on pourpose is very annoying...
On accident is alright, cause well your dancing to the point you need water!
Or how about this, a person just standing here like a zombie just staring at you, then follows you across the room where you are with friends or you significate other. It's rather rude and come on! Doesn't the person know how creepy that is! Ugh...  

Ashta Nightrayne

[Psycho~Cookie]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:26 pm
We're all a little insane.....

OMG I HATE it when people try to cosplay but it's completly wrong. if you know what you're doing, then do it! I mean, I saw this Bleach cosplay that was supposed be Ichigo, but it was wrong in SOOOOOOOOOOOO many ways. I don't want to go into details about it cause it'll just boil my blood XD

....aren't we?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:31 pm
Hmm.. I'll chime in a bit.

Elitist cosplayers:

You spend the entire year making your costume and it looks freaking amazing. Now get over yourself and stop acting like a jerk to people who want to take your picture and don't ignore people because they might actually want your attention for all of five minutes and you feel you have something better to do like standing there..in your costume.

Do a pose and make it memorable for them to see it and thank them for taking the time to snap your photo. That's what it's all about really and you make the costume to show your skill and because you like the attention so don't be dismissive when people are giving it to you. Be humble and respect your fellow cosplayers and help them if they ask for a tip or two.

Jerk con goers:

Us cosplayers work really hard on our stuff so please make an effort to respect us. If we're eating lunch/dinner and you see us and are seriously interested in taking a picture then be polite and wait for us to finish or just let us know you want one and we can catch you later when we're done.

Dont just ignore someone in an amazing costume as they are taking a photo or doing something indepth like a special cosplay pose. That means not walking through the shot or touching their costume in such a way that would ruin it. If someone has amazing wings then don't go touching it without their permission.

Yellers:

You know who the hell you are! The one's who stand next to us and start yelling like we don't know you're there. We're your favorite character and whatever but seriously we don't need to hear you screaming next to us to know that. Have a bit of civility and treat us like we're people and cut the nonsense.

Friends:

Jerk off friends who want to come to the con but want to go for free or even worse, promise to come and then not have money for the hotel room and gas. They wasted it all at the convention without bothering to set their money aside. Also trashing the hotel room since it's not in their name! >.<" Inviting people without permission to sleep in the hotel room for free and make it even more crowded.  

User_1017918

Stray Pikachu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:41 pm
People That Think Putting On A Shirt And Jeans Makes You L.

IT'S CALLED A WIG AND MAKEUP!
gonk

And People That Don't Put Effort Into Their Cosplays.
Just Really Ticks Me Off.

Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces