Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
What do They Think of You? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Myopsida

Demonic Dabbler

9,475 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:06 pm
My parents aren't too thrilled with me or my brother going to cons but they still support us. Only reason my dad doesn't is because it costs him money, mom just thinks we're weird. Still, my mom was amazed when she saw all the fellow con goers in cosplay when they picked us up on Sunday at Anime Boston 2009. She thought it was pretty cool that so many people dressed up and how much detail some costumes had. Other than them, none of my friends seem to dislike anime or conventions seeing as most of them go to cons with me.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:09 pm
My mother used 2 let me go 2 Cons with no problem now she does not like me going 2 Cons because she said something bad might happen like me dying or something. Dad use 2 not like me going but now he says go ahead have fun. So they swapped roles, but I end up going anyways. Most of my friends go 2 Cons and the ones that don't want 2 go 2 them but there parents don't let them. As 4 other ppl I really don't care. If they like it great if they don't well I least I have the balls 2 do it. burning_eyes  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

One Creative Username

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:50 pm
        Haha, well, my parents still call it the "Star Trek convention," but they just laugh about it. Honestly though, I don't think they care that I'm so much of a dork that I cosplay (usually always crossplay, actually) the characters from my favourite TV shows or manga / anime (which they don't understand at all aside one of my cousins). Still, when my parents saw the crowd & all the con-goers as we left, they were pretty amazed. Though, they think a lot of 'em are a bunch of freaks who are really out to just molest each other or something. Which, I admit, some of them are, but still. Most of them aren't so bad.
        My non-con & non-anime / manga friends are usually big /b/tards (sorry rules one & two) & make fun of me for going to conventions & crossplaying. Especially the crossplaying bit. But I don't mind any more, but I'll do whatever the hell I want regardless of their douche-baggery or opinion. B|

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:47 pm
When i went to my first con, my parents where against it, but then they thought that i should be able to do things while i'm still young, and they know how much of an anime freak i am and they let me go.

But this year, my mom doesn't want me going because she thinks its a waste of money buying outfits im only going to be wearing once and i also told her of the glomp rampage i went on. After explaining what 'glomp' was to her [laughs] she said thats another reason not to go because she thinks i'll get sick from hugging people O.O

My dad is still on the OK side, as long as my grades are really good.
As for my non-otaku friends, they don't really care, but there are some people who think im a freak for doing it.

pasionfruuuit

OrangeWhip

3,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:03 pm
When I tell people I love anime/cosplay and been to past conventions, they're really shocked. People get a misconception that only "geeky" or "nerdy" people are interested in that type of stuff. I wish we society could break from that stereotype. As for my parents, there cool with it. They did grow up watching some Anime as a teen. However, I tend to keep this part of my life to myself when meeting new people.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:26 pm
Hmm...my parents take it rather well. They make fun of me for dressing up and such, but they just tease.
My Dad was amazed at the giant swords and props people made by hand, he loves to tell his friends about it, his eyes get all excited. xD
My friends are okay with it, some are even interested in coming with, and one of them is!
My old ex-bestfriend took it rough, and he found new friends to replace me because I apparently wasn't cool enough, even though I rarely talked about it, and he knew I liked anime. ]:
But I have better friends who are dandy with it, so I'm good! <3

amanogawatea

stan marsh xx

Original Squad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:51 am
My mom totally loves me for it. She was really jealous of my Jack Bezarius cosplay when I got it. XD
She likes it when I dress myself up and such, she sometimes makes me pose for photo's.
My dad, idk, he thinks I spend money on crap, but he doesn't mind me going to conventions and such, as long as I'm not asking him to pay for it. :']
All my friends are into anime/manga and cosplay. so yeah. XD
Some people say they are jealous off me for being able to pull off so much people ; and for having a manly features.
Normally, I wouldn't be happy with hearing that seeing I'm a girl, but since I only crossplay, it's a great compliment. XD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:40 am
User Image

My parents have issues with driving and spending any form of money or time on me >_> Otherwise I would have gone to one well before now. (I'm almost 18 )
My dad is a huge anime fan, but he thinks conventions and cosplay are a waste of time and money, so as long as he doesn't have to waste his time on me he doesn't care what I do.
My mother on the other hand thinks anime is stupid and childish, but watches it with my dad anyways just so she can complain about how "moronic and simple" we are ._. She doesn't want me going, so I'm hoping I can convince my dad to change her mind this time around *sigh*
As for my friends, some of them go, some of them don't.
We aren't exactly close anymore, I'm not crazy enough for them or something *shrug*
User Image

Nilokara

The Marquise

Dapper Noob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:12 pm
My parents don't care very much nor do my friends.
Anybody who would look down on me for it wouldn't be my friend anyways.

I think my classmates find it odd though, but I don't advertise I cosplay.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:46 am
I laugh at people when they tell me that this is wierd or dumb. But I'm also 22, and the only peoples who opinions even matter to me are my own and some of my close friends.

Most of the people I meet could care less, and because I'm such a huge nerd and have pics of my cosplays and conventions on FB I discovered a bunch of closet anime fans out of the people I know. =D

My best friend calls then nerd conventions, and thinks its wierd, but she is the type of girl that likes to "fit in" or seem as normal as possible. After 8 years of being friends with me she is considering cosplaying sailormoon! Who's the nerd NOW! (she is only doing it for halloween but still =3)

My family, well my brothers are into anime like crazy, and my older brother loves being able to dress up and make new friends. In toronto we have the semi-famous (and utterly ridiculous) conventioneers and he has even been picked on by them.... 3 years running... doesn't bother him in the slightest and he is still planning on going to the convention this year.  

PegLegPony

1,300 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Veretix

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:29 am
I'm the only person in my family that is into cosplaying. But various family members have cosplayed with out even knowing it, which is kinda funny to me. My cosplay/con-going friends think it's awesome and my non-cosplaying/con-going friends don't mind because they are just as weird as my cosplay/con-going friends xd  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:40 am
My family doesn't care. I don't rely on them to help me with getting my costumes together, I'll usually just lock myself in my room for a few hours and I'll have a new cosplay.
.-.
And I usually save my christmas/birthday money up and stretch it as far as I can for stuff I have to buy. (wigs, hairspray, fabric, etc.) And save some for any upcoming conventions, too. xD
Most of my friends cosplay or like anime, so they don't really care.  

Synthetic Air

blazeingfox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:05 am
My parents think it's pretty cool since i make most of the stuff my self. My bf is O_o sometimes he doesn't want me to dress as anything to reveling lol. but we both went to our first con last summer and he was pretty into it. My non-con friend is a ren-faire geek so he understands dressing up a bit but an anime convention are something he can't wrap his head around XD  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:05 am
My Parents started off with the idea that it was something new and different.
Mom:
totally supports me. She knows that its a huge way that i cope with my depression. My biological father has done a s**t load of damage to me. mentally and physically. She gets mad every once in a while because i just finish one outfit then im out on a scavenger hunt for another one. but she loves me

Step-Father:
He thinks its really cool. He has issues with his daughter so he tries everything to be a good father to me since we have both been through hell. He's always asking if there is anything he should look out for. like a certain pair of shoes or a certain glasses. he's trying real hard. but he accepts it.

Little Brothers:
i have two little brothers and one step brother. they love it. they see me walk out as sasuke or who ever i'm cosplaying and their eyes get real big. its really cute. when im a bit older liek in 3 years or so, i plan on taking both of my biological brothers to a con. you know for an awesome experience.

Friends:
i used to be very open about cosplaying. but i now limit what i do until i know the person enough to confess that i cosplay. though the whole school already knows that im a cosplayer. i mean i am the president of the japanese club at my school xD anyways all of my friends think its cool that i cosplay and my main group of friends cosplay as well. not as frequent as me but they do cosplay

Family:
well i don't keep in contact with my family very much for various reasons. but when ever it does come up they think its cool that i sew and style my own wigs and such. x]

xXMakorikXx

XxNaomi-LukarixX

13,200 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:21 pm
my not so close friends (non anime fans) sorta make rude comments about it like "well at least i dont dress as japanese cartoon characters when its not even halloween or anything."
they call me a crazy wig lady! D:

my mom is kinda iffy on me crossplaying

the whole "binding" and trying to look like a man weirds her out lol

My dad thinks im weird, but he doesnt really care as long as im not doing drugs :3

my little brother is 8 and he wants to cosplay with me!
(if i ever get an Ouran High school group set up, he wants to be hunny!! )

my older brother makes fun of me for breathing -_- so of course he never has anything nice to say about cosplaying....unless he sees an awesome Samus or Altair cosplay lol

everyone else is like "cool"  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces