Welcome to Gaia! ::

THE RANDOM PEOPLE OF TOMORROW [[LET'S RAWRRR]]

Back to Guilds

Playground for the random. 

Tags: Random, Hangout, Roleplay, Contests, Arts 

Reply Religion and Faith Forum [Debate, Discuss, Explain]]
would you like proof god exists? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Corporal Maladict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:05 pm
cleolvtempus
I think she might be ignoring this topic, or she left the guild. i have no idea. but i do think she just felt she could not reason with us....... sweatdrop

I talked with her, and that is indeed how she feels. See her profile and you too will understand.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:11 pm
Corporal Maladict
cleolvtempus
I think she might be ignoring this topic, or she left the guild. i have no idea. but i do think she just felt she could not reason with us....... sweatdrop

I talked with her, and that is indeed how she feels. See her profile and you too will understand.

I think i might be too frightened to do so......  

cleolvtempus

Thirteenth Celebrator

5,700 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Tycoon 200

Corporal Maladict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:20 pm
cleolvtempus
Corporal Maladict
cleolvtempus

I think i might be too frightened to do so......

No, it's not insults at us or anything. It is simply an explanation of the fact of her life that completely explains her behavior here. I apologized most deeply and sincerely when I saw what was there.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:47 pm
I don't want to get into a whole dramatic debate or anything but I just wanted to throw out there that a great read on this sort of topic is
Parallel Worlds: A Journey Through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos by Michio Kaku.

Has anyone read it?  

Underworld Priestess

Corporal Maladict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:51 pm
Underworld Priestess
I don't want to get into a whole dramatic debate or anything but I just wanted to throw out there that a great read on this sort of topic is
Parallel Worlds: A Journey Through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos by Michio Kaku.

Has anyone read it?

No, but it sounds interesting. What religion does the writer advocate?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:56 pm
Underworld Priestess

Has anyone read it?

no, i haavent, but i love watcing michio kaku on the science channel!!! he's my favorite scientist....ever!!

he makes learning about all of this stuff interesting!!!

OMG HE'S ON TV RIGHT NOW!!! O.O  

RowenthaDark

Feline Avenger

17,050 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Married 100

VeganIncubus

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:01 pm
Quote:
Indeed. But did you know Pascal himself was a true believer, and he didn't believe because of the 'Pascal's wager' reasons, he just devised that up as a good argument to use on non-believers.

My question to Pascal, if he lived, would be: 'can you just choose to believe? What if the belief dies? Isn't belief a bit like being gay, you don't decide it... only instead of being born that way it comes from how you're raised, or if believers are right, from God...'

His idea or rather, outlook on belief appears to be a very cowardly one. It's like the " as if" argument. Act as if you were being watched and judged. Why not be a little bit more autonomous and less frightened of being punished for not believing in or having no need of a higher power?
Act as if you're in constant danger, as if there are shadows at every corner out to get you and holding their existence as real will save you from them. Of course you don't have to believe it, just pretend hard enough and wonderful things will happen to you. Isn't that a bit disingenuous and deceitful?

--An argument used to stay on people's good side. To not be shunned, pointed and singled out. Still today, choosing a more realistic and true- to oneself path seems to be reason for ostracism. Is it because we wanna be saved? Or because we don't want to bear the mark of the social pariah and the visionary?

--Sometimes individuals have little say over what they are brought up believing. But it's not genetic. I was born gay, it's in my cells, my DNA. Religion is something environmental... cultural and social. I have a say on the values I adopt, reject and see as valid in my life. We all do. Evolution taught us to fear everything in order to survive and perpetuate the species. Reason and science shows us the smoke and mirrors behind superstition. When there is no god of the gaps and no demons in caves, or dragons, or sirens killing sailors, then we can appreciate the world for what it is, not for what we want it to be out of dread and ignorance.

gods are born out of terror.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:40 pm
XxLeComtesseAndrogynexX
Quote:
Indeed. But did you know Pascal himself was a true believer, and he didn't believe because of the 'Pascal's wager' reasons, he just devised that up as a good argument to use on non-believers.

My question to Pascal, if he lived, would be: 'can you just choose to believe? What if the belief dies? Isn't belief a bit like being gay, you don't decide it... only instead of being born that way it comes from how you're raised, or if believers are right, from God...'

His idea or rather, outlook on belief appears to be a very cowardly one. It's like the " as if" argument. Act as if you were being watched and judged. Why not be a little bit more autonomous and less frightened of being punished for not believing in or having no need of a higher power?
Act as if you're in constant danger, as if there are shadows at every corner out to get you and holding their existence as real will save you from them. Of course you don't have to believe it, just pretend hard enough and wonderful things will happen to you. Isn't that a bit disingenuous and deceitful?

--An argument used to stay on people's good side. To not be shunned, pointed and singled out. Still today, choosing a more realistic and true- to oneself path seems to be reason for ostracism. Is it because we wanna be saved? Or because we don't want to bear the mark of the social pariah and the visionary?

--Sometimes individuals have little say over what they are brought up believing. But it's not genetic. I was born gay, it's in my cells, my DNA. Religion is something environmental... cultural and social. I have a say on the values I adopt, reject and see as valid in my life. We all do. Evolution taught us to fear everything in order to survive and perpetuate the species. Reason and science shows us the smoke and mirrors behind superstition. When there is no god of the gaps and no demons in caves, or dragons, or sirens killing sailors, then we can appreciate the world for what it is, not for what we want it to be out of dread and ignorance.

gods are born out of terror.

For everything you have said, I, Corporal Maladict, salute you.  

Corporal Maladict

KnowingHate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:49 pm
Okay I get what your saying....but then how was God created? I doubt he was just there wandering around white nothingness....And what created that thing that created god?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 pm
Thank you, Corporal :3 ... 3nodding

KnowingHate
Okay I get what your saying....but then how was God created? I doubt he was just there wandering around white nothingness....And what created that thing that created god?

Who said there is or was a god to begin with?
Are you not assuming a bit much?...
I don't know...you don't know. We can only measure what we can see and touch. Our environment and our minds. Of course, that which is or may be out there, call it 'gods' or the 'supernatural' must also be bound by some law, which we have not discovered. So, first take the evidence which we actually possess through research and experimentation, then extend that to that which is untouchable, unseen and unknowable. Can we go by 'gut' feeling? Can we say there is an entity that gave birth to it all as it is or that it/she/he was the first spark.

--To some people,scientists and philosophers and writers,the universe has always been around. Meaning that it expires and starts all over again, not from nothingness. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Merely transformed. The speed of atoms and molecules as they come into contact with one another and form bonds is one which we can explain,or try to,through chemistry. We know when these bonds weaken and break apart, things explode,expire,rust,burn. It doesn't take any magic, it takes no miracles,only time. Time and elements and energy. There's quite a bit of that.

--Now, if you wanna say 'god' is that which permeates life,then I would say everything is 'god'... not in any supernatural way.

--The concept of a deity was created by human beings. You see animals do not have any deities,do they? Why do they not? Remember that we,too,are animals. More developed but still prone to such drives, need for protection,etc.
--I'll let you draw your own conclusions.  

VeganIncubus

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

Corporal Maladict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:17 pm
XxLeComtesseAndrogynexX

KnowingHate

I don't know...you don't know. We can only measure what we can see and touch. Our environment and our minds. Of course, that which is or may be out there, call it 'gods' or the 'supernatural' must also be bound by some law, which we have not discovered. So, first take the evidence which we actually possess through research and experimentation, then extend that to that which is untouchable, unseen and unknowable. Can we go by 'gut' feeling? Can we say there is an entity that gave birth to it all as it is or that it/she/he was the first spark.

--To some people,scientists and philosophers and writers,the universe has always been around. Meaning that it expires and starts all over again, not from nothingness. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Merely transformed. The speed of atoms and molecules as they come into contact with one another and form bonds is one which we can explain,or try to,through chemistry. We know when these bonds weaken and break apart, things explode,expire,rust,burn. It doesn't take any magic, it takes no miracles,only time. Time and elements and energy. There's quite a bit of that.

--Now, if you wanna say 'god' is that which permeates life,then I would say everything is 'god'... not in any supernatural way.

--The concept of a deity was created by human beings. You see animals do not have any deities,do they? Why do they not? Remember that we,too,are animals. More developed but still prone to such drives, need for protection,etc.

I think KnowingHate was talking to the OP of this topic, not you. Some people don't read beyond first post.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:20 pm
AAA-dit
look at every thing around you everything has a specific pupose. lets start at the atom made up of protons and nutrons and electrons varying in amounts and these atoms come together to make molecules and these molicules come together to make dna which tells every cell in your body what it does whether it is your skin or your eye or your brain and every part of your body works together so that you can live your life on this earth that has many different creations on it that all work in a certain way with a certain purpose which orbits around the sun in the perfect place so we are not scorched of the face of the earth. in the right place in the galaxy in some corner of the universe with who knows how many places we could have possibly been yet here we are. now I think that that is one to big of a coincedence for there not to be a god.

Go post that in a cristian guild.....Post banana's here xd  

Ronin Ranko

Virtuous Smoker

Ronin Ranko

Virtuous Smoker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:21 pm
KnowingHate

Super god made god cool  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:23 pm
Corporal Maladict
XxLeComtesseAndrogynexX

KnowingHate

I think KnowingHate was talking to the OP of this topic, not you. Some people don't read beyond first post.

sweatdrop ...tee hee. Oh,well.  

VeganIncubus

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

VeganIncubus

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:27 pm
werdofilms
AAA-dit
look at every thing around you everything has a specific pupose. lets start at the atom made up of protons and nutrons and electrons varying in amounts and these atoms come together to make molecules and these molicules come together to make dna which tells every cell in your body what it does whether it is your skin or your eye or your brain and every part of your body works together so that you can live your life on this earth that has many different creations on it that all work in a certain way with a certain purpose which orbits around the sun in the perfect place so we are not scorched of the face of the earth. in the right place in the galaxy in some corner of the universe with who knows how many places we could have possibly been yet here we are. now I think that that is one to big of a coincedence for there not to be a god.

Go post that in a cristian guild.....Post banana's here xd

Wow.. "too big a coincidence for there not to be a god" ...wow, I think I am now a believer. o.o  
Religion and Faith Forum [Debate, Discuss, Explain]]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff