Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[M&M 2nd edition] 1 AZ - Issue #1 underway! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Brains
  Brains
View Results

Laertes Ursus

Vicious Knight

13,050 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:29 pm
Wire_Colossus
The 22 point buy is something From DnD. For determining the 6 starting ability scores. Before Rain posted the link above, I thought that this was his own idea, not something that had already been done as an actuall table top game. I didn't know it was an actuall table top game. I'm not allowed to spend my money very often, and even when I am allowed to do so I'm forbidden from buying anything that relates to DnD. Both parents think it's stupid. In fact they're against anything and everything that involves roleplaying.
The Pagan Tea Shop-Spells and readings
User Image
Your ad here! PM me for details.

Just a note, but stats in MnM aren't rolled, they're bought. All stats start at 10, and having a stat any higher is at a 1:1 ratio for power points. Thus, a 20 Strength is 10 power points.

That said, ability scores in MnM are generally not extremely useful, unlike in DnD.

User Image
Your ad here! PM me for details.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:36 pm
I don't know where you got the rolled part from because using the 22 point buy system, you don't roll dice at all. you assign five 10's and one 8 to your six stats, and then add points. after a certain number of points added, the cost of points required to raise the value by 1 goes up.

And you're going to have to explain the MnM in detail, because what you just said doesn't exactly make sense. If it were truely a 1:1 ratio then 20 strength would result in 20 power, unless there is some conversion rule in there somewhere.  

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:11 pm
This will be complicated without an actual book or pdf, since there's so many powers with certain rules to it sweatdrop

In this game of Mutants & Masterminds, everyone is starting off at Power Level 5, or 75 power points. Every power level is 15 PP, and you earn PP like experience, to spend on your character or save up as you see fit. There are limits to what you can buy, based on your power level.

At power level 5, you can have:
  • A maximum average of +5 to your attack rolls and damage modifiers. So you can have a +5 attack bonus and +5 save modifier. Since most attacks (but not all) will probably be resolved vs a Toughness Save, and the save is made harder by how strong the attack is. Here, +5 to hit, and opponent gets +5 to his Toughness Save DC. You could make it +7 to hit and +3 to the DC, or vice versa. As long as the average is +5 or less.
  • The Defense and Toughness save modifiers must also average +5. Defense determines how hard you are to hit, and toughness how hard you are to hurt. Ultimately, a character with +5 to his attack roll hits a character with a +5 to his defense on a 10+. You can make yourself harder to hit, but then you get hit harder. Likewise, you can get hit often and be a venerable juggernaut and not feel a thing.
  • You can have +10 to your maximum saving throws of Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. Any powers that target these saves will rarely K.O. you, but they can still be greatly debilitating.
  • Your maximum ability scores are capped at 30. You could, in theory, have a character that has Str 30, Dex 30, Con 30, Int 30, Wis 30, Cha 30 (being able to afford it is a different matter). But as far as super powers go, you're all-around awesome but not SUPER.
  • The max rank you can have in a skill is 10 ranks.

Power points are spent as follows:
  • All ability scores start at 10. You can buy up a score by 1 point for 1 PP each. So a Strength of 14 is 4 PP.
  • Attack bonus costs 2 PP per +1.
  • Defense bonus costs 2 PP per +1.
  • Fort, Reflex, Will saves cost 1 PP per +1.
  • Skills cost 1 PP for 4 ranks (that can be spread out any way you like). So 5 PP can get you 20 ranks spread between the entire skill list.
  • Feats cost 1 PP per feat or feat rank (some feats you can buy multiple of).
  • Powers have a certain cost, depending on how powerful it is. Nearly all powers are bought at ranks. Your toughness save comes from the Protection power (usually) and your damage bonus comes from how many ranks you have in a power (so a Blast power at rank 5 has a +5 damage modifier).
  • Drawbacks can give you extra points, but they are very severe for very few points back, and if you're new to the system, I advise against them.

As a note, the total save bonus of +10 (or +5 with toughness) is WITH ability modifiers thrown in. Fortitude and Toughness key off of Constitution, Reflexes off Dexterity, and Will off Wisdom. So you can have 3 ranks of Will save, and a Wisdom of 16 for a combined +6 Will Save. In case you ever get hit with a Drain power, if it targets your Wisdom, then your Will save ranks will remain.

Also, if you use mundane weapons (in chapter 7), some weapons have specific damage modifiers. Your attack bonus, + the weapon's damage modifier, must average to +5 or less. At higher levels of the game, mundane weapons become pretty useless and you're better off 'inventing your own', or just developing powers to compensate (such as fire blasts, etc).

This might be a lot to take in so I'm going to stop for now until I find out if 1.) I've scared you off, 2.) You want me to go into further detail, or 3.) You find the PDF on your own.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:40 pm
Combination of 1 and 2. My head is reeling from this new set of data, but I must have more. I need to understand this if I am to play it.  

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:11 pm
Wire_Colossus
The power to absorb objects into the body in order permanently gain the positive effects of the objects. When an object is absorbed it will change the form of part of the body as it is combined with the object, and the change depends on the object. A sword or knife might result in fingers made of blades, a shot gun or other type of fire arm might result in the weapon being built into an arm. It isn't exclusive to just weapons either, it works on almost any non food item. Even living trees can be absorbed, however, such an assimilation would require that the tree be small that than person. People cannot be assimilated, nor can any living creature. Plants are different story though. The potential for creativity is endless, but the potential for power gain is limited, since the human body can only withstand so much.

The power you'll want is Object Mimicry. It's touch range, and takes a move action to activate. The Duration is 'Sustained' (Lasts as long as you wish, taking a free action each round to sustain it; if you are unable to take free actions, such as being stunned or unconscious, the power deactivates). If you don't mind increasing the cost by +1 per rank, you can make it Continuous (Lasts as long as you wish until you deactivate it, even if you're stunned or knocked out).

It costs 6 points per rank. Each rank of the power, whenever you activate it, gives you 5 power points to put into traits (such as other powers, enhanced ability scores, better saves, certain skills, etc). So, 4 ranks of this power (24 PP) gives you 20 PP to 'make up as you go along' each time you use it. But each time you use it, it replaces the older one, so you can only have one such form at a time.

In addition to the powers listed, there are little tweaks you can give the powers to make them better (and more expensive) or worse (and cheaper). The duration is one such enhancement. I'd give you the Limited: Partial Transformation, so you can't get a whole full-body transformation effect from an object (such touching a sword might give you a sword arm, but wouldn't make your whole body extra fine or made of steel).

If you had no other powers in mind, you can simply buy sevral ranks of Object Mimicry, and focus the rest of your points into skill points, ability scores, saves, and the like. Alternatively, you could buy some extra powers to represent 'permanent' additions to your body.

Adaption is one I can see you using as well. At 6 points per rank, it's a personal range power that's Continuous in duration. As a full round action, you gain rank x 5 PP to spend on powers that will let you adapt to the current environment you are in. Like Object Mimicry, this costs 6 points per rank. For 10 points per rank, it can be done as a Reaction (meaning you gain the environmental traits as soon as it happens, such as if you suddenly find yourself submerged our launched out an airlock into space). I think that would be a tad expensive though and recommend against it for a PL5 game.

When you use Object Mimicry, and perhaps Adaption, I can walk you through any powers that you might gain by using said powers when they come up smile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:20 pm
With the Extra Subject extra, she could have traits from multiple objects at once.  

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:38 pm
Please continue to explain and walk me through this, I am very much enjoying these ideas and it is getting very easy to understand.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:33 pm
Rain Yupa

• Powers have a certain cost, depending on how powerful it is. Nearly all powers are bought at ranks. Your toughness save comes from the Protection power (usually) and your damage bonus comes from how many ranks you have in a power (so a Blast power at rank 5 has a +5 damage modifier).

• Powers can be customized by adding Extras and Flaws. For example, with Object Mimicry, you can normally only mimic one object at a time. With the Extra Subject extra, you can mimic two objects at a time. If you take this extra twice, you can mimic up to 5 objects at a time. Extra Subject increases the power point cost by +1 per rank each time you take it.  

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
    • Citizen 200
    • Person of Interest 200
    • Friendly 100

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
    • Alchemy Level 1 100
    • Team Jacob 100
    • Gender Swap 100
    PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:43 pm
    Are Saves are bought separately from ability scores? and Should I list the Extra Subject extra under The powers section, complications section, feats or skills?  
    PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:51 pm
    Wire_Colossus
    Are Saves are bought separately from ability scores? and Should I list the Extra Subject extra under The powers section, complications section, feats or skills?

Extra Subject is part of the power itself. It applies only to that power and that power alone, and should be included in the description.

It's easy to get carried away with Extras. For example, a ranged fire blast costs 2 points per rank, so getting one that's rank 4 (+4 to save DCs) costs 8 points. Of course, you could throw in the Burst extra to allow you to hit multiple targets, and Selective Attack so your fireballs don't hurt your allies. But that's +1 each to the cost per rank, so now your Blast costs 4/rank, so for the same 8 points, it's only half as strong.

75 power points might SEEM like a lot, but trust me, it never seems to be enough.

And for saving throws, your total save for F/R/W cannot exceed +10. The bonus comes both from your ability score, PLUS any direct bonus to the save. So you could have a Wisdom of 30 for +10, giving you a Will save of +10 without having to invest any points in it. Or you could have a Wisdom of 10 for a bonus of +0, and put 10 points into Will save. Or any combination thereof.  

Rain Yupa
    Captain

Enduring Member

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
    • Alchemy Level 1 100
    • Team Jacob 100
    • Gender Swap 100
    PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:00 pm
    That makes this alot easier to understand, but the way you are putting it, it sounds like Fortitude + Will + Reflex = +10 at max for all three combined.  
    PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:29 pm
    Wire_Colossus
    That makes this alot easier to understand, but the way you are putting it, it sounds like Fortitude + Will + Reflex = +10 at max for all three combined.

Each. Toughness save (something that exists only in M&M) is capped at +5. Fort at +10, Reflex at +10, Will at +10.  

Rain Yupa
    Captain

Enduring Member

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
    • Alchemy Level 1 100
    • Team Jacob 100
    • Gender Swap 100
    PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:51 pm
    Is there a power for construct making? Because that would be the second power I would choose if possible.  
    PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:20 pm
    Wire_Colossus
    Is there a power for construct making? Because that would be the second power I would choose if possible.

PROBABLY Summon (Minion).

Touch range, standard action, sustained duration. 2/rank.

You summon a minion to aid you, with an amount of PP = 15 x rank of your Summon power. This minion is always the same minion/kind of minion, so that works out for you. In M&M, minions are basically characters that can only take one point of damage before being KO'd, working kind of like fodder for the summoner.

There's a couple things that might make this better. For every 1 PP you spend (called Power Feats, that effect the total cost, not the cost per rank), you can increase the number of minions you summon. 1 PP of Progression gets you 2 minions. 2 PP gets you 5, 3 PP gets you 10, 4 PP gets you 25, 5 PP gets you 50, 6 PP gets you 100, and the cycle continues. You can only summon one minion per standard action.

Mental Link, which allows you to communicate with them telepathically over any distance.

Sacrifice, which allows you to spend a Hero Point to let a minion take damage for you instead. However, it's not very 'heroic' and might be frowned down upon.

Now, for Power Extras, which increase the cost per rank...

Fanatical (+1/rank), which make your minions have a fanatical attitude and devotion to you.

Heroic (+1/rank), which makes them like regular NPCs, rather than just minions, which makes them harder to hurt and KO.

Horde (+1/rank), allowing you to summon your maximum number of minions in one standard action. Useless without Progression.

Type, which allows you to summon more than a specific type of minion; if you are doing simply constructs/robots/drones, this will be useless to you.

As a Flaw (-X/rank), you can make your minions uncooperative. -1 for indifferent attitudes towards you, -2 for unfriendly, -3 for hostile. PROBABLY not a route you want to go down.  

Rain Yupa
    Captain

Enduring Member

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
    • Alchemy Level 1 100
    • Team Jacob 100
    • Gender Swap 100
    PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:49 am
    Minions are not what I meant, What I meant was along the lines of golems or maybe creatures like those found in the movie 9. since there doesn't seem to be an ability or power like that anywhere, I'll stick with object mimicry. I only say there isn't a power like that because you have said that there is.

Now I must continue working on my character profile sheet. I'm nearly finished.  
    The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas
    Virtual Spaces
    Fun Stuff