Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
A 17 year old dating a 14 year old Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think?
I approve!
55%
 55%  [ 38 ]
I do not approve!
27%
 27%  [ 19 ]
I WANT GOLD!!!
17%
 17%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 69

Kathryn Anon

Peculiar Perfectionist

22,250 Points
  • Summer Pride 100
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:44 pm
CheizLord
The whole school work thing isn't the major problem here. It's not impossible to balance school work and relationships. It's been done before. My focus on this is the maturity level, and respecting the parent's wishes.

when you're under 18, age isn't just a number; it matters. Emotional and mental maturity comes with age. The brain is constantly developing from the day you're born and doesn't stop until youre in your mid twenties. It's a fact. This means that even if she seems mature for her age her brain isn't going to be as developed as yours. Meaning,She virtually can't hold as much maturity as you, her brain won't allow it. Also, emotionally she isn't going to be as intuitive as you are and have as much relationship or life experience. (Later in life this becomes less of a problem, but as a teenager the experience levels are bound to matter). Her viewpoints are going to be from a 14 year old's perspective, a little more ignorant and less explored than yours. This is innevitable and could pose a problem when you run into a challenge in your relatioship that you have to work out, which evidentally you would have eventually come across if you continued to date. The honeymoon phase doesn't last forever, and the demand for you two to show your maturity would become an overall necesity in order to nurture and maintain the relationship. I honestly don't think you two dated long enough to put that maturity level to the test in the relationship to realize this.

Also, from personal experience at her age she might not be looking for what you are. Because you're older you find you might want a long term relationship, or something meaningful out of this because you've been through mroe relationships by now. She's only 14 and sne might not want something long term, because she hasn't been with as many people as you and shes still exploring what she wants in a relationship, where as you probably have a better idea. Generally relationships at that young an age don't last more than a few months anyway because they find themselves in relatioships they thought they wanted to be in, but didn't because they weren't sure what they were looking and discovered things they didn't know that they didn't like. Basically you shouldn't put too much stock in it becoming a serious relationship right now anyway.

Going behind her parent's back doesn't exactly make a good impression. I know your intentions are good but secret dating often puts stress on a relationship and in most cases forces it to end badly regardless. You're lucky that her parents still let you see her. Mos parent's wouldn't be as trusting of someone who went behind their back with their daughter to not trust you wont do it again. If you want to make something out of this in the future then don't give them another reason to distrust you.

My advice? If you really do love each other and you two bring out the positive motives in each other like you said, then you'll have no problem waiting. Strengthen your bond now and regain her parent's trust. show them you're a true gentleman and that you respect their daughter.Just beause you know sex isn't in the picture, they don't. So don't go dating her and doing so behind her back while her parents still forbid it. When you're both mature enough and have her parent's consent, continue the relationship. By this time you can expect you'll have a better handle on your relationship problems once they arise (eveyone has them), and you can also expect she'll be more willing to be in commited relationship which is why making a good second impression on her parents is so important if you two are planning on being together for a while. And don't stop the self improovement just because you two aren't dating. Better yourself because you want to do something for you, not just her.

I would have probably posted something more like that if I could feel my fingers.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:41 am
Silver Sage-General
Eh I was 21 when I dated my first boyfriend and he was 14. I just don't see age as a problem. And lovely head bashings to anyone who tries to split you <3

You don't see the problem? You sleep with him and you're breaking the law. Statutory rape charges put you on the sex offender list for life. Life. It doesn't go away. And that completely screws you over as far as getting jobs and where you can live. Employers do background checks and don't want to hire a sex offender. And it isn't hard to get slapped with Statutory rape charges, especially since your boyfriend is so young and you're so much older. See the problem now?

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Silver Sage-General

8,225 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:53 pm
Lady Kayura
Silver Sage-General
Eh I was 21 when I dated my first boyfriend and he was 14. I just don't see age as a problem. And lovely head bashings to anyone who tries to split you <3

You don't see the problem? You sleep with him and you're breaking the law. Statutory rape charges put you on the sex offender list for life. Life. It doesn't go away. And that completely screws you over as far as getting jobs and where you can live. Employers do background checks and don't want to hire a sex offender. And it isn't hard to get slapped with Statutory rape charges, especially since your boyfriend is so young and you're so much older. See the problem now?

I never met him dear.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:55 pm
Silver Sage-General
Lady Kayura
Silver Sage-General

I never met him dear.

I'm not your dear. Don't call me that.

And you could've mentioned that you've not mentioned him. However, not meeting him doesn't make my points invalid.

And that's still a huge age difference. Someone that much younger is bound to be a bit more immature, no?

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:02 pm
Centipedes In Utero
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I love how people who date kids in high school claim their SO is "mature" for their age. lol ******** kind of agree with the parents. 14 year olds shouldn't date. They should be focusing on school work, so they can graduate from high school and not end up as a drop out who trolls theater groups for underage p***y.

I bet the majority of relationships like these only exist because the guy has a car.

7 people disapproved, and I was the only one to make a cynical post? Pansies, the lot of you. Also: teenagers in wuv, blah blah blah, use your imagination.

You said everything I wanted to say. At 14, love is not long-lasting to you. Be realistic. At 14, love is prized. It's just an object. Everyone wants to say that they had a boyfriend/girlfriend at age 14. I know I did.

If she still falls in love with you when she's actually mature (because teens are never mature, no matter what people tell you), then you're good to go. But for now, she probably only wants an item to claim.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:40 pm
Lady Kayura
Silver Sage-General

It really isn't a problem if they don't have sex and the parents don't mind. You seem to be assuming that relationship = sex, which it doesn't.  

Sorceress Inara Harame

Ruthless Hunter

5,950 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:51 pm
Sorceress Inara Harame
Lady Kayura
Silver Sage-General

It really isn't a problem if they don't have sex and the parents don't mind. You seem to be assuming that relationship = sex, which it doesn't.

It doesn't always mean sex but that's one of the bigger reasons such a gap is a no no. And kids that age are bound to be stupid about sex. It can really mess up one's life.

And the age difference, 7 years is a bit big. The maturity gap should be pretty big and if it isn't, I can't help but to wonder if something's wrong. As for parents not minding, the person I quoted didn't specify if their parents knew. So why are you assuming it's okay? The OP said the parents didn't approve. So you see the problem there, right? =P  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:56 pm
I don't think it's that big a deal. It's a small gap compared to others. Besides, when you're both over 18 people won't think anything of it cause you are both over age so socially 'it won't matter' but regardless of that, no it's not a big deal.

i knew someone who was 17 dating a 30 year old guy. and another person i knew is 19 married and pregnant by a 28 year old. .... so your gap is roughly small.  

DeuceWilder2891

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces