Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply First Year Classes
Transfiguration I (1/5) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:53 pm
On The Board:

Basics of Transfiguration

What is Transfiguration?
    Transfiguration is, at it's most basic, transforming one object into another. This is usually accomplished by magical means. However, it is not simply changing something's appearance into something else's, it is actually changing the very item into the its intended target. This very act changes its structure even down to the molecular level, so that when you transfigure a bird into a cup, you are taking that bird and turning it into a cup on an atomic level.

What kinds of Transfiguration are there?
    There are actually four different branches of Transfiguration: Transformation, Vanishment, Conjuration, and Untransfiguration. All four of these branches of transfiguration you work with if you wish to master this branch of magic, but you may not see all four during your course of study at Hogwarts.

What is Transformation?
    Transformation is at its core turning one object into another. This is the most basic form of transfiguration. There are three different subcategories of transformation known as Human Transfiguration, Switching, and Trans-Species. Human transfiguration however is the most difficult form of Transformation.

What is Vanishment?
    Vanishment is the act of taking an object and willing it out of existence. The Vanished item will simply cease to be, and instead you will have nothing. As such, this is the most difficult form of transfiguration you will probably encounter on your OWLs.

What is Conjuration?
    Conjuration is the act of bringing things into existence. This is much harder to do than simply willing something to appear. This area of Transfiguration you will learn about in your NEWT-level class should you get that far.

What is Untransfiguration?
    Untransfiguration is the act of reversing a transfiguration. The branch is considered both Transfiguration as well as a counter-spell. This branch is generally the very first one encountered when you are learning the subject of Transfiguration

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:57 pm
User Image
                                                I had a dream the other night
                                                About how we only get one life
                                                Woke me up right after two
                                                Stayed awake and stared at you
                                                So I wouldn't lose my mind

User Image

════════════════════════

Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Aʟᴜᴍɴɪ || Tʀᴀɴsғɪɢᴜʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Pᴏᴛɪᴏɴᴇᴇʀ

════════════════════════

Rick leaned against the desk as he waited for students to file in. He vaguely wondered sometimes if he ever looked as small as the first years in this class, but dismissed this idea and instead decided to focus instead on the class at hand. When the students all filed into the classroom, he checked the time and closed the door with a flick of his wand before turning to address the first years. "Hello, and welcome to Transfiguration. I'm your professor Richard Drage. For those of you wondering if there is going to be some form of spellcasting right off the bat in this class, that would be a yes, and a no. Yes, because you will be casting spells in this lesson, and no, since there will only be one spell you will learn today. However, this spell is probably the most important one you will learn in your entire study of the subject, so that would be why it is the very first one you learn about today."

He turned to the board and gestured to it, already well aware of the brief overview written upon it. "Transfiguration, by its very nature, is one of the most, if not the most, difficult disciplines of magic there is. We are taking an object and changing it fundamentally at the molecular level. This in itself makes the practice at once dangerous as well as complex, however is probably one of the very rewarding branches of magic there is in my opinion. After all, you can look at something you've transfigured and know that you've managed to succeed or fail, and by itself is a very rewarding feeling." He then turned back to the board and wrote something underneath his notes and pointed it out for people to see.

Professor Drage
                                                User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"This, by the way, is one of the reasons why transfiguration is so difficult. Yes, it is a mathematical equation, one that is applied every time you try and cast a transfiguration spell. Can anyone enlighten me as to why that is?" He crossed his arms and waited, taking a deep breath and hoping he hadn't confused the heck out of the first years yet. It would be his luck, wouldn't it? To be the first professor in Hogwarts history to basically make a mess of his first lesson and the students learned nothing? He hoped not.

════════════════════════
                                                Thinking: Here's to first impressions being good...
                                                OOC:

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

And I had the week that came from hell
                                                And yes I know that you could tell
                                                But you're like the net under the ledge
                                                When I go flying off the edge
                                                You go flying off as well

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:05 pm
User ImageUser Image
Julius Devereux
First YearSlytherin
Family Heir

Location : Transfiguration - Thursday @ 2:00pm

Julius had been a fan of flying that morning but he had been looking forward to the complex class of transfiguration. Which is why, he found a seat near the front of the class the moment he entered the room. Scanning the notes on the board, Julius set out to get his things set up. Wand set on the desk along with his parchment and quill, the Slytherin waited for class to begin. The moment Professor Drage started the lecture he looked up to the front. Listening carefully, Julius began taking the notes until the first question was asked.

Raising his head, Julius had spent some time out of the day to read up on his subjects. Of course he’d already read up on a few of them during the summer. His father had been proud of his son’s work ethic that’s for sure. “That mathematical equation is the same for every transfiguration spell because no matter what you transfigure it’s the same principle.” He said before adding. “T stands for what you’re trying to accomplish or simply put the end result, W is your wands power, C is the caster’s concentration, V is the viciousness, A is the caster’s body weight, and Z is the incantation. All these variables apply to all transformations.” He finished falling silent. Did he go overboard yes, but Julius couldn’t help sharing what he knew about a subject he was interested in.

With : Class...

Attire : Slytherin Uniform

OCC : - - -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:29 pm
User Image
User Image

Oh, I don't know what you've been told
But this gal right here's gonna rule the world
Yeah, that is where I'm gonna be, because I wanna be
No, I don't wanna sit still, look pretty

Mood: EXCITED!!!!!!11!!!!
Companions: First years
Thoughts: This is going to be fun!!

════════════════════════

Jillian came in quite excited for this class. turn something into something else? Sign Jillian up! She went for a front row seat not taking much notice the the slytherin boy she sat next too. she listen to the teacher as she was lightly bouncing in her seat, her excitement kicking in.

════════════════════════

OoC:

I know the other girlies
Wanna wear expensive things
Like diamond rings
But I don't wanna be the puppet
That you're playing on a string
This queen don't need a king

murruelecreuset

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Mood:
Companions:
Thoughts:

User Image

════════════════════════
I keep falling down, I keep on hitting the ground
I always get up now to see what's next
Birds don't just fly, they fall down and get up
Nobody learns without getting it wrong

Hikaru came to class and was instantly worried that he saw a math equation on the board. He wasn't bad with number this like way over his head. Where where the numbers? He sat around the middle and started taking notes. He felt like he was going to need them.

I won't give up, no I won't give in
'Til I reach the end and then I'll start again
No I won't leave, I wanna try everything
I wanna try even though I could fail

════════════════════════

Ooc:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:43 pm

Put Name here

Put Name here

Put Name here

A bright mind and a brighter smile.
Better be...
Hufflepuff!

User Image
Wearing: Hufflepuff Cutiness/ Thinking: First class of the year /With: First years

Lauretta walked into the first class of Transfiguration taking a seat in the middle row and she started to listen to the professor. She read some of the book last night before she fell asleep with it on her head. Lauretta looked at the equation as she thought back to the night before when she was reading this equation. She was about to speak but a Slytherin got to the answer before her. She thought in her mind: All these variables apply to all transformations That mathematical equation is the same for every transfiguration spell because no matter what you transfigure it’s the same principle. T stands for what you’re trying to accomplish or simply put the end result, W is your wands power, C is the caster’s concentration, V is the viciousness, A is the caster’s body weight, and Z is the incantation. Lauretta knew that there was also the next time to answer a question. Lauretta listened to the professor trying to get her head around the whole Transfiguration class.  

MsKiwiness

Demonic Divorcee

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:30 pm
I thought of angels,
Choking on their halos-
Get them drunk on rose water;
See how dirty I can get them.
Pulling out their fragile teeth;
And clip their tiny wings!

T R E V A
A N N E S T
W A R L O W

slytherin │ first year │ halfblood

Treva was not really worried about Transfiguration, 'difficult' as it might have been. She changed herself all the time. She didn't think she had much to be concerned about. She had skimmed the textbook, and zoned out completely as the professor went on, taking on a slightly dazed, hazy look. As far as she was concerned, up until they actually used their wands, this class was just an excuse for people to pretend they were terribly clever because they'd read ahead in the text. Sprawled out in her seat as if she might drift off at any moment, she fought to keep her eyes closed, then gave up. Oh well. The bell ringing would probably wake her, and the week was almost over.

OOC:
Username

Letting people down is my thing-
Baby, find yourself a new gig!
This town ain't big enough for two of us.
I don't have the right name;
Or the right looks...
But I have twice the heart.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:56 pm
If you listen just right, you can almost hear it;
The symphony of secrecy, life, and fear...
The search for love, but finding fear-
Like a moth to the flame we become helpless,
To the beautiful ghost that true love sheds.

𝚕𝚢𝚍𝚒𝚊
𝚐𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚎
𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚗𝚌𝚎𝚛

muggleborn │ first year │ hufflepuff

Maths had never been Lydia's best subject, but neither had it ever been her worst, she reminded herself. She knew how to budget for a household of six- how many other children her age could say that? The equation on the board made a bit more sense than she had necessarily expected it to, despite having not read much of the textbook. A boy from Slytherin had already answered, however, and so she said nothing. Maybe this subject would be a bit more... normal, if equations and whatnot were involved. The Hufflepuff was simply relieved that it was Thursday, and after Herbology tomorrow her first week of classes would be over. She could hole up and cry over the weekend, or tough up, write a letter to her parents, and track down Essie.

OOC:
Username

We all are running our very own races,
Set upon the most dangerous of places.
We are left with a void in our chests we're aching to fill...
The doves come to gather our every need; they lift them up-
To Heaven through the mouths from which we speak.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

Slytherin Lord

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:26 pm
Anna Adair
Hogwarts Student
Slytherin

Anna walked into the classroom and took a seat. She carefully set out her supplies and read the board. She then listened to the professor speak. She wasn't looking forward to this class anymore once she saw the equation. She never had been good with math, equations confused her. She instantly frowned and wanted the class time to be over.

OOC:

=Text
=Speech
=Thoughts  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:01 am
User Image
                                                I had a dream the other night
                                                About how we only get one life
                                                Woke me up right after two
                                                Stayed awake and stared at you
                                                So I wouldn't lose my mind

User Image

════════════════════════

Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Aʟᴜᴍɴɪ || Tʀᴀɴsғɪɢᴜʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Pᴏᴛɪᴏɴᴇᴇʀ

════════════════════════

Rick blinked, only getting one reply for his question. Oh, well, this was fun. None of the other students seemed to be answering so he nodded at the Slytherin and gave him a half-smile as he looked over the rest of the class. "Ten points to Slytherin for apparently being the only one that either read the book, or was brave enough to speak up. Yes, you need to factor all of those elements in to get a complete transfiguration. Which yeah, can be a bit daunting, especially considering when you think you have control over all of them. Here's a hint to everyone, you don't. I can help guide you in the variables that you control, which is the viciousness, will, and concentration. Those three variables are the only things you can control in a transfiguration. That is what we are going to be learning how to control, which starts right now."

He decided to write out the variables completely on the board, to better illustrate his point. "When you are doing any spell in transfiguration, whether it be transfiguring a needle into a matchstick or, one of the most advanced forms of transfiguration to date, becoming an animagus, you have to keep this formula in mind. You have the incantation itself and how you say it, Z, times your wandpower W multiplied by your concentration C, over the viciousness or your will V and your bodyweight A to get the desired result, T. All of these factors need to be present to successfully transfigure something, and you have to find the correct balance to accomplish this. Every transfiguration is going to require a mixture of these factors in just the right amount to accomplish your intended target. Any of these off in any way will result in the spell failing, and the object or creature you're casting it upon being stuck halfway between the two forms." He pointed to the board to look over the class, waiting for them to copy down the notes he just provided.

"Thankfully there is a spell to reverse said transfigurations when they happen to be stuck. This is the spell that you are going to be working on today. This spell can reverse most simple transfiguration mistakes, and is extremely useful for beginner witches and wizards. This spell is called Reparifarge." He quickly wrote out all of the information necessary on the board and then turned to the rest of the class.

Professor Drage
                                                Reparifarge
                                                (re-par-ee-far-je)
                                                t= Fixes Transfiguration mistakes
                                                a= caster must be heavier than the object
                                                v= intent must be at least medium-mild
                                                w= any wand power
                                                c= moderate
                                                Z= well-spoken, as clear as possible

"Now, I am going to pass out items that have been transfigured halfway for you to work on. Don't worry about any of the creatures left in the state they are currently in, since I can turn them back into what they were originally. What I want you to do is try and untransfigure these items for practice. I will be walking around the classroom to observe your progress and give assistance where needed. When I get to you, please state your name and house, so that way I can start connecting faces with names." Rick then proceeded to walk toward the cupboard to retrieve a box. He then started passing around items that the students could work on for their first spell attempts.

════════════════════════
                                                Thinking: Here's to first impressions being good...
                                                OOC: Students, please be aware that the items being passed around are any of those listed under the first year Transfiguration List of Knowledge. That can be found in the first post of the thread.

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

And I had the week that came from hell
                                                And yes I know that you could tell
                                                But you're like the net under the ledge
                                                When I go flying off the edge
                                                You go flying off as well

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:43 pm
User Image
User Image

════Reserve════Beater═════

Jillian was more prepared this time. She came to class got her seat and took notes. She wanted this to be her better subject and since she had not done as well as she wanted she was determined to do better. When she received her poor transfigured animal she got what was probably a snail to start with but was now more of an odd slimey teapot. She reviewed her notes hard this time not wanting to make the poor creatures problem any worse. She made sure she was ready before giving it a try. She was bound and determined to save this snailpot thing. She tried the spell but nothing happened. Perhaps her nervousness made it fail? She gritted her teeth and tried again. It mostly worked it was now more snail than teapot, but the handle and spout where still there and it was still white. So she focused as hard as she could think of the snail it should be and gave it another go. She definitely did something right this time cause now she had a likely confused snail."Yay I saved you!" Jillian said happily

════════════════════════

OoC:

I know the other girlies
Like diamond rings

murruelecreuset

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:57 pm

Mood: NERVOUS! but then determined
Thoughts: ok ill help you mouse

User Image

═══Ravenclaw═Keeper════

I keep falling down, I keep on hitting the ground
I always get up now to see what's next
Birds don't just fly, they fall down and get up
Nobody learns without getting it wrong

Hikaru took his normal notes and was ready but nervous. He received a twitching fluffy snuff box with a pinkish tail. He referenced his note before trying...and trying again...and again....Jillian the girl he remembered from the train and sorting had fixed her snail already. He was determined this time to get it right. He thought of each of the factors he needed to work out and went for it. It took a few more gos but now he had a mouse he was trying to keep on the table

I won't give up, no I won't give in
'Til I reach the end and then I'll start again
No I won't leave, I wanna try everything
I wanna try even though I could fail

═══════════════════════

Ooc:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:43 pm
User ImageUser Image
Julius Devereux
First YearSlytherin
Family Heir

Location : Transfiguration - Thursday @ 2:00pm

Julius glanced over at a Gryffindor girl that sat next to him. Wasn’t she one of the girls that had been talking about muggles? Great… two negatives about the girl. Remaining silent the Slytherin decided to just ignore her. If he didn’t initiate a conversation then he’d be fine or so he hoped. On the upshot Julius was rewarded ten points for speaking up. Was he the only one who knew anything? He doubted it. He was aware that you didn’t have control of everything. No one had that kind of power. Some things in life were just out of your control. Not that he liked the thought of it.

Writing his notes, Julius took into account that every spell needed a mix of the different factors. Quickly he took down all the notes on the board and any other necessary information. Listening to Professor Drage as he did, he remained focused. There was apparently that was a spell that could fix transfigured objects. He’d like to try it. ‘Reparifarge… re-par-ee-far-je…’ He thought in his head. Getting a random item (a furry snuffbox) Julius examined it. “Reparifarge.” He said pointing at the snuffbox. Seemingly nothing really happened except for a random tail morphing out of the furry little box… It certainly didn’t make it look any better.

By that point Jillian had managed to save her snail as she put it. Julius had to try his best not to roll his eyes right before Professor Drage had made his way over to them. “Julius Devereux, Slytherin.” He said politely before turning back to his mouse box. “Reparifarge.” He tried again putting more force or focus into it. This caused the furry snuffbox with a tail to turn back into a mouse. “There.” He looked at the mouse scurrying around the desk. Julius wasn’t a fan of rodents but at least he’d done it.

With : Class... Jillian

Attire : Slytherin Uniform

OCC : - - -

Kungfudemoness

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:18 pm
User Image
User Image

Companions: First years and a slytherin boy

════Reserve════Beater═════

Jillian saw her partner fix his mouse who was now running around the desk. "Hey cool you saved your mouse too!" She asid happily. The mouse came to sniff her snail. "Aww they like each other, that or the mouse wants to eat it." She hoped to make conversation with her partner prehaps he was friendlier than he looked.

════════════════════════

OoC:

I know the other girlies
Like diamond rings

murruelecreuset

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles