Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]
Jade Legacy [L5R 3eR] - Act 1: Atsumari/Gathering Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 170 171 172 173 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit
Sutiiven rolled 1 10-sided dice: 1 Total: 1 (1-10)

Sutiiven

Dapper Conversationalist

5,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:51 pm
Exploding Die  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:31 pm
"That they are," Denbe considered, looking closely after him. There was truth there. Many would be looking for champions for the iajutsu. Many of the shugenja and courtiers here would no doubt have plenty of reason and power to procure a high ranked swordsman for it, and fore planning and devices to scheme it as well. Given the size of his clan besides the power of all those others gathered here, and his own skills, Denbe did not expect to much impress. Even if he performed exceptionally, the politics were set heavy against him.

The struggle to bring himself near that point could bring notice enough however. He need only show that, by himself, he could outstrip the expectations set for his clan. Need not win it all, only give them all a good surprise...

However, if it came to iajutsu he would need to fight himself, wouldn't he? For the purpose of proving his clan, and for his pride as a warrior, mustn't he reject any stand-ins? And he hadn't any experience with that art.

The thought was depressing almost, until he began to think on the Scorpion's last words. And then, he could not help but smile himself. He did not cackle, or grow so mischievous in appearance as Kojiro, but a smile, a smile he could do. Always something interesting.

"Yes. I'm sure there will be great deals to be learned when the time comes about all involved. I suppose what one is willing to do for the glory and satisfaction may speak volumes."

In a place like this, there could be no one so foolish as to attempt to practice Maho, and think they could hide it, could they? Any men so corrupt from these clans could not have been so brash as to come here. But if they were, and Denbe were to find one? What was a victory in this tournament for proof of worth besides revealing the use of Maho if it could think to weave itself even into this place?

If he was so lucky- if such a travesty here could be called luck- then who could doubt the virtue and importance of the Hare's service to the empire?  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:32 am
@Juijutsu Competition

He tried to block, but there was no stopping it. As the wind got knocked out of him, he fell. Unarmed fighting was hard.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:23 am
@ The Jiujutsu Competition

Kojiro pondered the Hare's words. "And we must be there to watch them, lest they overstep their bounds and do something ...inappropriate. Our two clans are not unalike in their charges, Denbe-san."

The Scorpion turned his head just in time to see the Crane fall. "And I was afraid those two would take all day! It's a good thing that I signed up for the poetry contest. I hold no high expectations, but I'd rather not have something like that be the display I set for myself.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:20 pm
Denbe looked at the Scorpion measuringly for a moment, and returned to smiling.

"I am not sure how many Hare would be heard saying that. Or Scorpion, for that matter. You are an interesting man, Bayushi-san."

And interesting. If he truly saw it that way, and it was not simply Scorpion words, perhaps the task of keeping an eye open for all present would not be quite so impossible.

He frowned at the Crane's loss, but nodded. He would have liked to see him in the ring again. True, it seems... arrogant and awkward as it felt to say it... as though he would have hopelessly outmatched him here. But then, it did seem as though the reverse had been the case in the martial duels, so perhaps even would have been even. Not the sort of satisfaction he'd been looking for though. He made himself settle for knowing that; Zanzen was a swordsman, and a remarkably talented one. Denbe was a man who spread what talents he had across a great deal of ground. A minor clansman in unfamiliar territory did not always have a friend to pick up his slack for him.

"I am sure we will all have our chance to look the fool once before this tournament ends. I am hoping mine is already passed."  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:32 pm
@ The Jiujutsu Competition

"Many forget that the Scorpion's charge is to lurk in the shadows so that those who use them against the Empire will be stung." Kojiro whispered quietly.

The Bushi shrugged at the Hare's reaction to Kakita Zanzen's loss. "It's only the first match. He can pull through if he wins the next one and the third. After that he would have to face either Shosuro-san or the Mantis. Although I doubt it, they could be as equally untrained as Lord Kakita looks."  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:20 pm
Now that was due a grave face. In a different context, it might even have sounded a threat. But he thought he understood the point he drove at. As Denbe said, many Hare would likely chafe at being compared to the less honorable methods the Scorpion were so often associated with. And many Scorpion, he thought likely, would have considered themselves above comparison to a minor clan of such normally modest repute. But at the end of the day, each gave something up to root out the enemies lurking within the empire.

"Sometimes what must be done, simply must be done."

The rest he took in stride, and nodded to. A humorous smile, despite himself.

"I am no master of jiujutsu, but I dare say... I might feel guilty fighting someone as untrained as Kakita-san appears to be," and dared to punctuate with a chuckle.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:38 pm
@The Jiujutsu Competition

The Bayushi laughed. "You don't need to worry about that. You face Hogai-san next. In one regard, you have it worse than I did in my match with him. He looks like he can put both of his arms to good use in a Jiujutsu match."  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:32 pm
"Yes, it is good to see him so capable. I had been preparing to tie my arm down so we might have a fair fight of it, but Hogai-san might have taken offense to that!"

Laughter and mirth. A Scorpion was not the first place Denbe would have expected to find a friend here. Perhaps even to be certain there was no ulterior motives just yet with one was too much. Or perhaps a friendship could be made just for that, with a bit of trust, and Kojiro might add ulterior motives later because, as the old adage went, it was his nature.

After all. The idea of aiding each other in their searching of the shadows did appeal... but had Denbe had any real information to divulge, he would not have been ready to share anything quite so soon.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:10 pm
@ Jiujutsu Duels:

Soon, Zanzen would be stirred awake, with his opponent Sosuke crouching over him. "Zanzen-san! Zanzen-san!" he said several times as he attempted to rouse the Crane to consciousness.

"Good match, Zanzen-san," Sosuke would say, with Kuni Raicho visible over his shoulder not too far away. Smiling softly, he would offer a hand to the Crane to help stand.

"However, we still must duel at least once more before we can continue. Are you ready to go again?" he would ask.

If Zanzen fights again, he will be starting with 7 wounds, leaving him Nicked!  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:35 pm
@ Lore Competition:

All Engineering skills are now TN 15!

Shinjo Gemmei would look over to the person she sat next to, Kaiu Kagae, and smile politely. "You seem to be well versed in the arts of siege warfare. If any of the Unicorn have ever slighted you in the past, I apologize on their behalf," she would say jokingly, though never showing any more expression than a polite smile.

She would turn her gaze to Doji Kita and bow her head in apology. "I am sorry; allow me to continue. There are more realms than unenlightened people realize. We live in a realm called Ningen-do, or the Realm of Mortals. In fact, there has been theorized that there are a total of ten different realms beyond our own. These can be from the righteous Yomi, to the inspiring Tengoku, as well as the frightening Jigoku, and many more." {Theology of 15 vs TN 15! Gemmei cuts it close!}

All Theology skills are now TN 20!

Doji Kita would smile, nodding politely to Gemmei as she finished. "That's two rounds down, everybody. We've lost our first scholar, but I have a hunch this is when things will start getting interesting. Wazuka-san, if you may..."

Wazuka would slam her hands on the table, excited to take her turn again, apparently! "In the beginning of the 9th century, the founder of my Family, Agasha Kitsuki, was known as a lackluster shugenja student, who was more interested in learning about people than about spirits. After threats of expulsion from his sensei, the sensei was found murdered with Kitsuki's own wakizashi. Kitsuki arranged to have one full day to prove his innocence, and in that mere 24 hours..." A gleam of pride would fill Wazuka's eye, before she continued. "He did exactly that! He managed to find evidence exonerating him, as well as finding the student that was the real killer, as WELL as a signed confession! It was how the Kitsuki family earned their place within the Dragon!" {Lore: Law of 23 vs TN 10}

All Law skills are now TN 15!

Kuni Kaori would be next, as she seemed a bit nervous to go now. Suddenly, an idea would hit her, and all at once, she would seem relieved. "Though Shugenja have many spells for divination, especially with air and water kami, many peasants and some samurai use more mundane ways to seek answers. One such way is called Kawaru, a method of fortune telling using sticks, stones, or coins cast as a series of hexagrams." {Divination of 21 vs TN 5}

All Divination skills are now TN 10!

Asako Sumi would smile almost devilishly as eyes were cast upon her, so she would eventually speak when she felt the tension was high enough. "Humanity was not always rulers of this land. Prior to the fall of the Kami, a race of people, half-serpentine, ruled this territory, plus a lot more. Prior to the fall of the nine kami, however, this mysterious race - which we call the Naga - fell into a deep slumber that lasted centuries, completely undisturbed." {Lore: Naga Lore of 31}

All Naga Lore skills are now TN 10!

"Clever girl," Makoto would say aloud, rubbing his chin. "I was saving a clever bit of Lore, but... I know my limits. Good show, Sumi-san." {Spending a Void, Spellcraft roll of 21 vs TN 25} Makoto would stand and bow, a gesture reciprocated by Doji Kita, before he would vacate the chamber.

Tamori Makoto has been eliminated!

Next up, Isawa Toyoko would go next. Prior to this moment, she confusingly watched the scene with Kenichi before, and though he was dangerously handsome, he wasn't as eloquent as Koan. This just made her think of him more, and when it was her turn, she drew a complete blank. {Spending a Void, Theology of 15 vs TN 20}

"Rokugan to Toyoko. Rokugan to Toyoko. Are you still with us?" Kita would ask after a long awkward silence.

"Hmmm?" she would ask dreamingly, her own gaze turning to face Kita.

"If you have a pressing engagement, by all means, don't let us hold you back," Kita would explain calmly.

Suddenly, mortified and flustered, she began to apologize profusely. "I'msorryI'msorryI'msorryI'msorry! I -" Realizing that she had blown her chance here, she would move to stand.

"Kyumi-chan, I'll wait for you outside!" she would say, before hurrying out of the chamber.

Isawa Toyoko has been eliminated!

Kitsu Kyumi, Matsu Seichiro, you may go!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
Agent Sinistra rolled 5 10-sided dice: 7, 4, 1, 10, 6 Total: 28 (5-50)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:48 pm
Kyumi felt a little exposed now that both Makoto and Toyoko had dropped out of the competition. While she was glad that she'd no longer have to compete against them in this event; it also meant that there were fewer friendly faces to "support" her so to speak. That they'd been forced out also made her a little nervous as well.

She was starting to reach her limit when it came to trivia Medicine, but... She wasn't so sure she wanted to switch over to her back up subject. She'd do that next round- Providing that she actually made it that far.

Kyumi would go on to speak, stating this-
"Providing that one has a legitimate reason and has appealed to the correct authorities, certain drugs that are otherwise illegal can be used for medical purposes. I'm sure that Kitsuki-san could tell us the repercussions of attempting to misuse those drugs if she so desired." The Lioness would smile politely at Wazuka, hoping that by paying attention to someone else, she'd start to feel a little less... annoyed by the terrible Scorpion woman.

((Rolling Medicine, 5k2; 23 vs TN 20 ; Edited to include fact + some fluff.))  

Agent Sinistra

Dangerous Genius

7,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:51 am
During the Poetry Competition

The Scorpion decided he would mope about in his free time and set about getting back to work. Kojiro was tempted, sorely tempted, to toss something the Mantis' way, but any plot or ploy he could think of required a touch more delicate than he possessed. Also the plan he really thought would keep the Yoritomo on his toes required help from his two other clanmates and Kojiro didn't want to owe them anything more than necessary.

Picking up his Kusarigama, the bushi went through a series of practices with the chain weapon before continuing further. The physical exercise helped the young samurai retain his focus as he worked through the steps his various ploys would send him through during the day.

After completing his practice, Kojiro made sure his traveling bag was empty and went to find a servant to obtain materials for tent repair, ten sheafs of paper, a bottle of sake, two cups, and if he was lucky, a set of Fortune and Wind dice.  
Raganui Minamoto rolled 8 10-sided dice: 7, 1, 2, 3, 6, 4, 3, 1 Total: 27 (8-80)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:12 pm
@ Jiujutsu Duels:

"I apologize. Thank you." He took the hand and stood, taking a moment to stretch. "I really don't think I enjoy this style of fighting. But I think I fear Kuni-sama's fury more if I don't give it my best. So, let's see if I can send you down this time." Shifting back a bit, he'd take a ready stance. This time was different, holding an arm low for defense while the other back, ready to strike.

5k4 init

18+6=24  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

[L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 170 171 172 173 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games