Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply The ART Dept
Portraits of a drunken, cross-dressing elf (art thread) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 60 61 62 63 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:06 pm
All you base tones are belong to me. Trying a different approach to painting than my usual little bit at a time method since I keep forgetting my color schemes when I take too long on an area and things seemed to go more smoothly when I painted with less layers.

User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:47 pm
Wow! I can't even draw properly with crayons. How long have you been at this? And I'm curious how you've gotten so good at computer shading and coloring, probably just practice and reading, mn?  

-Explosion-Array-

Feral Warlord

9,950 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:38 pm
Hrm... well I've been drawing since grade school, but I never really had a talent or affinity for it. I've only really started developing in the last few years. Behind it all is jealously and a monstrous ego. I wanted a skill someone else had and I wasn't taking no for an answer. But damn did I suck badly. I've never been accused of being very bright however and instead of giving up and putting my effort towards things I actually had a talent for I just kept going.

Like I said I've only really started to develop as an artist in the past few years because I stopped trying to emulate the way anime looks and started seriously doing studies on realism and that's pretty much where my shading has come from. Learning how light hits different shapes and reacts to different materials. I've got a reference box of a bunch of little varying metal, jewels and beads and things and that reminds me I should probably go out and get some feathers to have on site reference for my current project because when I can I prefer to see something with my own eyes than fall back on picture reference where it's practical. So yeah observation, practice and watching a s**t load of live drawing sessions to see how the pros render things.

I have a bitter sweet relationship with art. I've only really started developing because I've had to let go and quit a life long passion of mine because of a injury. It opened up a lot of time in my schedule for art and it's literally all I have left in my life that I can use to do something positive. It's that unwilling sacrifice that makes me loath identifying myself as an artist because there is something much more important that I should be doing with my time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:13 pm
Now I can start in on the character herself.

User Image  

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

-Explosion-Array-

Feral Warlord

9,950 Points
  • Love Machine 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:04 pm
Kairanha
Hrm... well I've been drawing since grade school, but I never really had a talent or affinity for it. I've only really started developing in the last few years. Behind it all is jealously and a monstrous ego. I wanted a skill someone else had and I wasn't taking no for an answer. But damn did I suck badly. I've never been accused of being very bright however and instead of giving up and putting my effort towards things I actually had a talent for I just kept going.

Like I said I've only really started to develop as an artist in the past few years because I stopped trying to emulate the way anime looks and started seriously doing studies on realism and that's pretty much where my shading has come from. Learning how light hits different shapes and reacts to different materials. I've got a reference box of a bunch of little varying metal, jewels and beads and things and that reminds me I should probably go out and get some feathers to have on site reference for my current project because when I can I prefer to see something with my own eyes than fall back on picture reference where it's practical. So yeah observation, practice and watching a s**t load of live drawing sessions to see how the pros render things.

I have a bitter sweet relationship with art. I've only really started developing because I've had to let go and quit a life long passion of mine because of a injury. It opened up a lot of time in my schedule for art and it's literally all I have left in my life that I can use to do something positive. It's that unwilling sacrifice that makes me loath identifying myself as an artist because there is something much more important that I should be doing with my time.

Interesting! I love people who can admit such things. We are similar, but I think you have much more drive or ambition than me, by far. I felt that way about something, but well... yes. Like I said, not as much ambition.

You really take it seriously. That's very.. rare. However, I appreciate such things. I'd love to see a photo of your reference box setup... I'm curious to see how it looks. Hmm... live drawing sessions... I don't think I'd have enough of an attention span to last long. ^o; But I suppose for someone who wants to learn, it's a treasure.

I used to write a lot, but I don't anymore. Every time I write I feel like tearing it up or throwing it away. It just feels poor. Hmn... I'm sorry that you're so affected. I hope I didn't offend you, and I also hope that my apologizing doesn't offend you too much, either. I think I've bothered you enough.

Thanks for answering my question. ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:55 pm
-Explosion-Array-
Kairanha

Interesting! I love people who can admit such things. We are similar, but I think you have much more drive or ambition than me, by far. I felt that way about something, but well... yes. Like I said, not as much ambition.

You really take it seriously. That's very.. rare. However, I appreciate such things. I'd love to see a photo of your reference box setup... I'm curious to see how it looks. Hmm... live drawing sessions... I don't think I'd have enough of an attention span to last long. ^o; But I suppose for someone who wants to learn, it's a treasure.

I used to write a lot, but I don't anymore. Every time I write I feel like tearing it up or throwing it away. It just feels poor. Hmn... I'm sorry that you're so affected. I hope I didn't offend you, and I also hope that my apologizing doesn't offend you too much, either. I think I've bothered you enough.

Lulz my faults are as much a part of my motivation as my strengths are and I've been around enough to know that pretending they don't exist isn't benefiting anyone. Perfection is boring. I could always be a better person, but I am what I am. I've gotten familiar with my deadly sins and have learned how to make them work for me. My Envy can become a positive driving force once I attach a well founded work ethic and acknowledge that I learn more through failures than successes.

I think what I do through art is similar to how Al Pacino described his thoughts on acting. There are some people who have these gigantic, vibrant personalities that they can't really express through their daily lives and that acting serves as an outlet to pour all of that intensity into the performance of a character. Then at the other end of the spectrum are the very calm and quiet people that don't have much presence in real life and that taking on the role of a character with a larger than life persona allows them to experience emotional depth they wouldn't have access to otherwise.

I'm more the latter type. Without something like art to bring out my emotions and get in touch with the deeper levels and layers of myself I just kind of float around in life with no direction. I need art more than it needs me.

When there's a really good artist doing the live drawings I've spent whole days before just watching how they lay down every single brush stroke. I can be a bit obsessive about my interests, but I've learned so much just by watching an artist on gaia draw named Loshka. My recent developments are all thanks to her. And finally breaking down and getting a tablet.

I feel the same way about most of my drawings that you do about writing. Some pieces just absolutely rub me the wrong way and there are so many times I've wanted to quit and scrap drawings part way in. I started changing and posting more of my scraps and doodles when I thought of it as a social experiment just to see what ideas and concepts people tend to gravitate towards and sometimes in my wips I draw random things just to see how people respond. Taking a more whimsical stance towards drawing has helped me flow better and not worry about what the results are.

I'm not offended by anything you've said. I've enjoyed this discussion so far.
whee  

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

-Explosion-Array-

Feral Warlord

9,950 Points
  • Love Machine 150
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Kairanha
-Explosion-Array-
Kairanha

Lulz my faults are as much a part of my motivation as my strengths are and I've been around enough to know that pretending they don't exist isn't benefiting anyone. Perfection is boring. I could always be a better person, but I am what I am. I've gotten familiar with my deadly sins and have learned how to make them work for me. My Envy can become a positive driving force once I attach a well founded work ethic and acknowledge that I learn more through failures than successes.

I think what I do through art is similar to how Al Pacino described his thoughts on acting. There are some people who have these gigantic, vibrant personalities that they can't really express through their daily lives and that acting serves as an outlet to pour all of that intensity into the performance of a character. Then at the other end of the spectrum are the very calm and quiet people that don't have much presence in real life and that taking on the role of a character with a larger than life persona allows them to experience emotional depth they wouldn't have access to otherwise.

I'm more the latter type. Without something like art to bring out my emotions and get in touch with the deeper levels and layers of myself I just kind of float around in life with no direction. I need art more than it needs me.

When there's a really good artist doing the live drawings I've spent whole days before just watching how they lay down every single brush stroke. I can be a bit obsessive about my interests, but I've learned so much just by watching an artist on gaia draw named Loshka. My recent developments are all thanks to her. And finally breaking down and getting a tablet.

I feel the same way about most of my drawings that you do about writing. Some pieces just absolutely rub me the wrong way and there are so many times I've wanted to quit and scrap drawings part way in. I started changing and posting more of my scraps and doodles when I thought of it as a social experiment just to see what ideas and concepts people tend to gravitate towards and sometimes in my wips I draw random things just to see how people respond. Taking a more whimsical stance towards drawing has helped me flow better and not worry about what the results are.

I'm not offended by anything you've said. I've enjoyed this discussion so far.
whee

Sorry for the samba of quotes. sweatdrop

I've got so much to learn... heh. To be able to reverse such things on themselves and make it a working force. *sighs* Still something I definitely need to learn.

Huh... whenever I try to contain my personality, it just bursts out even more. C_C; I uh... have a big personality, and well, not many people care for it. XD It's troublesome. I'd prefer to be plain that way, but... like I just said. sweatdrop

Hmm... maybe I need to get more in tune with my writing? I've kind of felt that way for awhile. Things kinda came tumbling down, and I had a very strong will to push back, and when things normalized... well, yeah, not so motivated. I've always somewhat functioned in a semi-chaotic environment. So adjusting to a normal life is kind of a task. Well, at least I cook damn good. XD

There's been writer's conferences around here, but I really don't feel motivated to go. For your art, I can quite understand your position(not entirely, because I'm certainly no artist). I always have to distance myself from reading/viewing similar things, so I can let the "soul" come through.

Hmnnn, I've been afraid to post my writings. I just feel they're not good enough or stereotypical, etc. etc. But lately, I've been trying to RP an alchemist type character. XD I even have a concept for someone I'd like to through into the MWV scene, but I'm so picky and lazy about it. XD Mn..

...your angelic warrior with the milky wang in hand has been burned into my mind. I CANNOT FORGET IT. Seriously. I'll be thinking about normal stuff and then there it is. C_C; Aiya.

I'm just thinking of what I'd want you to draw if I ever had the nerve to ask, and it'd probably be a pigeon or a walrus or something. C_C; I'm such a little kid. XD  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:03 pm
Just throwing this out there... you -can- delete the previous quotes, or just... you know... make an empty quote
[quote="username"][/quote]

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Kaori Silnaak

Fashionable Explorer

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:59 pm
ThisEmptySoul
ThisEmptySoul
ThisEmptySoul
ThisEmptySoul
ThisEmptySoul
ThisEmptySoul

Does it give you more than one notice if I do this? emotion_kirakira  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:02 pm
No, no it doesn't.  

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Kaori Silnaak

Fashionable Explorer

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:13 pm
Ah, I see. I guess Gaia foresaw the trolling that would result from being able to make massive quote trees twisted  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:04 am
Perhaps I shouldn't say such and feed the trolls, but it -does- give several notices for the same post if you edit a post in which you quoted someone.

Incidentally, there have been multiple times where I was quoted by someone who was rather obsessive about editing their posts and have consequently gotten a notice for each and every single one of their edits. Why someone would need to edit a post so many freakin' times is beyond me.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

-Explosion-Array-

Feral Warlord

9,950 Points
  • Love Machine 150
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:19 am
ThisEmptySoul
Just throwing this out there... you -can- delete the previous quotes, or just... you know... make an empty quote
[quote="username"][/quote]

*coughs* Already knew that. But thanks.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:48 am
I have a sort of art block. I'm not sure what exactly is happening, but I'm getting stuck on parts I shouldn't be like I completely forgot how I should color in the eyes. That's the one thing I should know by heart and I've never had this problem ever. Yesterday I spent a few hours shading them in and deciding I didn't like the end result and starting again from the base tone several times when normally it's one take, 5 minutes for each eye and move on. It still doesn't look right to me, but I really should get moving on the rest of the body. I hope its just the pressure I'm putting on myself to make this into an overall great composition to look at that's tripping me up.

Maybe this is some sort of irony about finally resolving myself to be an artist and really start caring about the work I produce rather than just someone who begrudgingly does some artsy stuff sometimes as a distraction. Of course it could all come back to my envious side and judging myself against someone else's art and being under the delusion that I should be better than this when I haven't earned it yet. I guess it's never been in my character to enjoy the little victories. It's always just moving from one trial to the next and finding out just how much I don't understand. It can be a bit frustrating sometimes.

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:54 pm
Let's just forget this happened and start over. And yay for cross eyes.

User Image  
The ART Dept

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 60 61 62 63 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces