Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
What do They Think of You? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mozfart

Millionaire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:46 am
Friends: My friends are very supportive of the whole cosplaying/anime/manga thing.~ Probably 98% of my friends are into it themselves. The other 2% don't really care. We don't really talk about cosplay/anime/manga. o__o; Since they really don't know anything it, I don't want to jump on their back about it.

Brothers: Well, Brad (the oldest) doesn't really know about my cosplaying or anime and manga interest. <~<; But Mark (the middle child. I'm the youngest) use to make fun of me because of it. Now, he's pretty understanding about the whole thing. He'll even ask me how my anime club at my college is going.

Mom: Ehh, she's a question mark with the whole thing. She sometimes doesn't understand it, and then will start to tease me about cosplaying. She always says, "Abbey, why are you still into cosplay? Can't you don't something else? You're in college now." She just thought I would grow out of it. It's weird, she doesn't like me cosplaying from an anime or manga.. but when it comes to a video game, she really doesn't care. Like, next year, I'm doing Princess Peach. o__o; She loves the idea. My boyfriend is going to be Bowser and Mario. Also, if the cosplay outfit is just adorable, she loves it. Even if it comes from the bloodiest anime/manga, my mom wouldn't care. As long as the outfit was cute. What I love about my mom is that she'll sometimes try to get into the whole cosplaying thing. Like, she LOVES the game Animal Crossing. So, she would tell me, "Abbey, do you think it would be a good idea if I cosplayed as a character from Animal Crossing?" I mean, I thought it would be cute if she would cosplay (not that she really would..) her character in Animal Crossing. But.. that's not what she was looking for. She wants to cosplay as one of the animals (ex: Tom Nook). <~<; She has NO idea what a furry is.. >~>;; I had to explain that to her.

Dad: He was the one that understood it the most. He never really made fun of me about it, and would ask me to try on my cosplays for him. He sometimes would help me with the cosplay, as well. o__o; He actually, I think, talked to my mom about it. I think he saw that my feelings started to get hurt, so he helped me out about it. Also, after he passed away last July, my mom really got off my back about it. Not sure if it was because she didn't want to make me more upset, or she knew that my dad supported it, so she wanted to be like him, too. Meh, either way, he really helped me out.~

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:34 pm
User Image
My dad could care less. However, he does seem to be amused by my interest in dressing strangely, sometimes.

As for my mom, she's alright with it, as long as I don't spend over a certain amount of money. However, once, on the way to a convention, while we were looking for the place, she did say, "Just look for the freaks in costumes." Though she had a joking tone, I can't say for sure whether or not she approves of it.

My siblings are the ones who tell me which costumes I should and shouldn't wear, but they're too embarrassed to cosplay themselves.

Only two or three of my good friends actually accept it, since they're the ones cosplaying with me. But, sadly, my other friends get embarrassed for just being around me when I decide to dress up. It's hard to find friends who can accept who I am.

Mao-sensei

Magnetic Player

6,200 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100

LadyArya

7,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:38 am
My parents are actually quite supportive of my hobby as long as it doesn't get too expensive, since it is somewhat productive - learning new skills and all. Unfortunately, most of my friends aren't really into the whole fandom, and random people at my high school seem to really look down upon cosplay. It got a poor reputation from some of the older sci-fi conventions with overweight people in cardboard or something, so I tend to keep it relatively quiet, although I really wish it was more accepted!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:48 am
My dad called Otakon "Geekfest" and he says that anime is crap. The week before Otakon 2008, sakuragirl9393 and I were in the basement chanting "Otakon! Otakon!" and had signs saying "Otakon". My dad was chanting "Geekfest! Geekfest!"

In the pre-registration badge pick-up line, my dad was calling Otakon "Geekfest" and sakuragirl9393 and I were saying "It's not Geekfest!"  

TigerLilyChick

Devoted Lovergirl

20,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Ultima Cloud Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:49 pm
they think im a no life stare  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:22 pm
My dad doesn't see it as a bad thing really, he thinks if I want to have fun then go ahead. Usually when I need a parent or guardian for something con-related he's the one to come with. ^^ However, at anime conventions I go to he tends to spend the whole day in the hotel room on his laptop, I guess because he gets embarrassed easily and doesn't really want to be seen with me. =|

My mom thinks anime is evil. Higurashi of course she would say that about, she refused to watch that, but I showed her Haruhi, and she said a lot of that was evil, she bought herself a copy of Azumanga Daioh and read it, and said it was cute but it had a lot of evil parts... But she's understanding, and even though she doesn't like it she knows that I do. She just can't understand why I would pay so much money for it. (She says I'm throwing $650 down the drain for the upcoming Sakura Con, but I say the crazy price tag is worth it! >.<)

My ten-year-old brother likes to hear the stories I have about whatever Mario cosplayers were there, he's a Mario fanatic. I bought him an official 1-up Mushroom plush at Anime Banzai '08 and now he loves it when I go off to conventions because he hopes I'm going to get him something. XD

My sister is thirteen, and thinks she's queen of the world. She refuses to have anything to do with me when I start going on about anime or games. She won't talk to me at all when she's hanging out with her friends, even on normal days she just pretends I don't exist. So, can't expect much out of her. Urgh, junior high...

I have very few friends, and of the friends I do have that are into anime and manga (I can think of three off-hand), only one goes to conventions. The other two just aren't enthused enough to spend that much time and money on it, I guess. I'm telling them to go to Anime Banzai '10 with me this year even though I can only be there for one day, here's hoping they want to. >.<

The rest of the people at school only ever get to see my cosplays on Halloween, and as far as they can tell it's just a detailed Halloween costume. I don't tell them otherwise.  

Sweet Trixie

Cooley Fair

5,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:55 pm
Well.... Mom was a fan of the original Robotech and used to play video games, but has since grown out of it. She's fine with me being into anime and video games, but thinks I'm weird for how into it I am. XD

Dad is a total geek, himself, and even offered to go to Sakura-Con with me when I had gone down to visit him. But, er...it's weird, y'know? That, and have recently discovered that I highly dislike the man, so I couldn't care less. XD

Grandma doesn't really seem to care either way until I try to explain something. Then she thinks I'm the strangest person, ever. But, like I said, she doesn't really care, but she helps me make cosplays.

Just about all of my friends are into anime and such. But there are a select few that get really annoyed when I go on and on about it. But my main group and I have formed a cosplay group, so, it's not much of a problem.

And, in general, people think I'm weird, but what else is new? XD  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:50 pm
My parents are beyond supportive of my cosplaying habbit. They've driven my friends and I cons in the past when we couldn't drive ourselves. The majority of my friends are into anime and cosplay as well. My best friends and I have formed a cosplay group together. As for other people, i've come to realize thast there will always be people who hate cosplayers or the character you've chosen to cosplay. I find that it's best to just ignore them. XD  

B10ndevamp

Griff_Illwind

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:16 am
My parents hated it when I was younger but know that I am 19 they start to support me. Mom is teaching me how to sew and my dad is teaching me how to use the tools for cosplay props so I dont have to by them anymore (dont know how much I have spent on cosplays and cosplay props)
But it is cool that they final get that I wont change just for them so they went out of the way to help me.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:55 am
They don't care. Have of my friends are into it too the other half already know I'm weird (and they still love me!) so they don't care. My family isn't bothered by it.  

Creepy Kuro Neko

Moonlight Phantom

bonestars

Dapper Exhibitionist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:53 pm
        My step-father actively supports my costuming endeavors. He's a welder, and a bit artistic, so he understands my need to create. That said, he's also a staunch Republican and thinks I'm a huge nerd. xD

My mother loves me unconditionally, but thinks I'm a huge nerd. Then again, she has admitted to a desire to cosplay Uhura or Nurse Chapel. Yup.

My long-lost-until-a-month-ago older brother thinks it's awesome and wants to go to conventions with me so we can double-team people during D&D. <3

My little brother thinks I'm a freak, but also wants to come to conventions with me. He's slowly getting into steampunk costuming.

My step-sister thinks I'm strange. My step-brother barely tolerates my presence. It goes both ways, really.

Aaaaand, my friends all think I'm weird, but love me anyway. <3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:02 pm
My dad: "WHERE IN THE SAM HELL ARE YOU GOING DRESSED LIKE THAT?!"
Mom: "Shut up, it's fine"

....Needless to say my dad's completley against it and my mom is indifferent. Some of my friends go and the others are like "Why are you doing that? D:"
It's kind of different from all angles.  

Exclusive Massacre

Witty Bloodsucker

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:26 pm
For both conventions and cosplay, hey're a little weirded out by it, until I explain what it is and what goes into it, then they get impressed and/or amazed.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:54 pm
User Image"Names Axel. A-X-E-L"

My friends are extremely supportive of it. Quite of few of them want to cosplay, but me and just one of my guy-friends are currently the only two doing it right now. Soon though we have many more to our fold.

My mom is a bit meh about it. She loves the fact that I have found something I really love, she just hate the amount of money it takes...Same feelings there from me. My brothers are just bah to it. But oh well, we don't ever see eye to eye anyway.

So all around it is good. But outside of family and friends it is nightmarish. You get insulted a lot here in my school.

"Got it Memorized~?"
User Image

Kitten-Tora

5,650 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100

immortalguardian

8,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:17 am
Well lets see my friends think i'mn weird as hell but a few of them are curious about coming out to conventions with me some time.
My mom doesn't understand the reason behind it but goes along with it anyways.
My dad actually went with me to comic con a few years back and said he enjoyed himself, didn't cosplay then so..... but besides that he couldn't give a crap and if it makes me happy accepts it.
O and then we come to my older sister she just thinks i'm a retard!  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff