Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply -------- Cosplayers
Do you cosplay in character? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How in character are you when you cosplay?
Not at all
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
I'm only in character for skits
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Sometimes, it's fun :D
67%
 67%  [ 90 ]
Character? I predict a 99% probability that I am L. :|
24%
 24%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 134

Wattering_Eyes

Rainbow Star

6,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:40 pm
Hmm, seems I'm the only one here who really doesnt do in character. I will be for photos or if someone prompts me to do so by like acting our a scene in the series or like RPS with me, but normally I don't. I love the girls I cosplay, but that doesnt necessary mean I want to act the way they do. For example, one of the girls I've cosplayed for meets was an alcoholic, and her typical behavior is slurring words and just being all over the place. I love her dearly, but I've never drunk anything in my life despite being 19 and I hate drunks, so I'm not going to act drunk.

I love my girls who I cosplay, but I'd much prefer just to be myself at meets/cons.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:04 pm
I am in Character generally when my picture is being taken, or when I see something related to my cosplay (for example pikachu seeing a charmander and commencing a "battle") That kind of thing. I like to set up skits in the area of the Rosemont Convention Center for ACEN like many others do. smile  

Alucardsgrl_123

Fashionable Millionaire

7,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:04 pm
Alucardsgrl_123
I am in Character generally when my picture is being taken, or when I see something related to my cosplay (for example pikachu seeing a charmander and commencing a "battle") That kind of thing. I like to set up skits in the area of the Rosemont Convention Center for ACEN like many others do. smile

Being a Cosplay Photographer I appreciate it when a cosplayer goes into character when I take their photo. smile It makes it easier for me to take additional shots. Setting up skits sounds like fun. When I do photoshoots they can sometimes become mini skits.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:14 pm
I stay in character... pretty much the whole times. There are a few intense characters where I'll make exceptions, but those are few and far between. It doesn't really matter whether I'm with my con buddies or by myself. For me, acting is half the fun of cosplay.

What's even crazier, is that when I'm hanging out with my cosplay buddies out of costume, we'll switch from character to character, often without realizing it. We get some strange looks sometimes...  

xinitia

Crew

Nasky Holy Goddess

Sparkly Wolf

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:42 pm
I love to be in character when cosplaying acting like your cosplay helps bring it to life
I cosplayed as Sephiroth not too long ago and even thou my outfit was thrown together I think it came together when I acted like him I had a awesome Youtube video made of me from a panel I went to ^.^ heart
http://youtu.be/XZ3TGuuKw2E  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:32 am
I really try to be in character as much as I can. Usually I go to cons with friends, so we'll walk and talk normally (Seeing as how we rarely are dressed from the same series) but when I stop for photo's or someone else approaches me AS the character I'm cosplaying, I try to not break the illusion- admittedly, I'm not the best actor, and I don't do voices (because I'm bad at them), but I try and I think it's more fun that way. I pose like they would or try to respond in character. Even if someone is just asking me for a hug.

Once actually, I saw a really great Crona (soul eater) cosplayer, and he was leaning on a wall. I asked him 'Crona, could I have a hug?" and he wasn't in character at all... it kinda ruined the magic of how good his costume was for me. He was like, 'Sure..." and gave me this really basic hug- where Crona is truly very awkward and excitable.
I told my friends later that it would have made my day if he would have said something like "I- I dunno how to deal with hugs....!" and then had his arms at his side when I hugged him, or hugged back with his arms all awkward and just like, carefully patting my back in confusion. But alas, the play part of cosplay isn't for everyone.  

Sellesion

Invisible Giver

17,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:58 pm
Sellesion
I really try to be in character as much as I can. Usually I go to cons with friends, so we'll walk and talk normally (Seeing as how we rarely are dressed from the same series) but when I stop for photo's or someone else approaches me AS the character I'm cosplaying, I try to not break the illusion- admittedly, I'm not the best actor, and I don't do voices (because I'm bad at them), but I try and I think it's more fun that way. I pose like they would or try to respond in character. Even if someone is just asking me for a hug.

Once actually, I saw a really great Crona (soul eater) cosplayer, and he was leaning on a wall. I asked him 'Crona, could I have a hug?" and he wasn't in character at all... it kinda ruined the magic of how good his costume was for me. He was like, 'Sure..." and gave me this really basic hug- where Crona is truly very awkward and excitable.
I told my friends later that it would have made my day if he would have said something like "I- I dunno how to deal with hugs....!" and then had his arms at his side when I hugged him, or hugged back with his arms all awkward and just like, carefully patting my back in confusion. But alas, the play part of cosplay isn't for everyone.

I'm sorry to hear that you had some problems about being in character and hoping that another character from the series to do the same. It's not easy for many cosplayers to be in character. Don't stop trying, eventually someone will respond in character. My advice is to go to the next con and seek out the con official photoshoot about the series that you are interest in. Chances are higher that you will find at least one person acting in character. I 'm a Cosplay Photographer and I do the same. If I find someone who is big time into being in character I ask them to do a mini photoshoot. Many of those has given me some pretty good shots. Btw Soul Eater is one of my favorite series and I have taken photos of Soul Eater characters over the years. Maka and Soul are my favorite and the most popular characters to cosplay from the series. As for hugs. Hugs can sometimes lead to groping. If you have a problem with that contact a person running the Convention and many of them will gladly help you out. I hopr that some of this advice with help you. A con is suppose to be a happy experience so I hope it will be that way in the future. smile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:41 pm
smithers456
Sellesion

I'm sorry to hear that you had some problems about being in character and hoping that another character from the series to do the same. It's not easy for many cosplayers to be in character. Don't stop trying, eventually someone will respond in character. My advice is to go to the next con and seek out the con official photoshoot about the series that you are interest in. Chances are higher that you will find at least one person acting in character. I 'm a Cosplay Photographer and I do the same. If I find someone who is big time into being in character I ask them to do a mini photoshoot. Many of those has given me some pretty good shots. Btw Soul Eater is one of my favorite series and I have taken photos of Soul Eater characters over the years. Maka and Soul are my favorite and the most popular characters to cosplay from the series. As for hugs. Hugs can sometimes lead to groping. If you have a problem with that contact a person running the Convention and many of them will gladly help you out. I hopr that some of this advice with help you. A con is suppose to be a happy experience so I hope it will be that way in the future. smile

Aww thanks for such a thoughtful response! I know it's something that some people, like myself, just need to keep working at if we want it to be fun and convincing. Right now I want to do a cosplay of Ed from Cowboy beebop, and I really have a feel for what she's like, and it's not out of my comfort zone to be soo... excited and weird? For lack of better words to describe her. Haha. I'm hoping that will make for a better 'in character' experience of mine.

As far as Soul Eater goes though, I cosplay Tsubaki! biggrin I don't think I was in that costume when I asked Crona for a hug, but that's ok. I think Crona and Tsubaki are my favorite, then next would be Maka, then Soul- and of course Kid and Stein are also very cool. But, There's something about Tsubaki's kindness and perseverance that I find really touching.

I know hugs at cons, from strangers, are a risk, and I know that someone can help me a bit if I get unwanted attention and hugs, but so far the conventions I go to have a really great crowd, and of course I mind my own manners with hugs and always ask first. We played a game that was basically a glomp circle. :3 People stand in a big circle, spin a bottle or something in the middle, and when it's your turn to spin, you run across the circle and hug the person on the other side, switching places with them. It was a lot of fun, because, being small like I am, sometimes People would just pick me up- spin me around and when I hit the ground again I'd just take off running- it was really fast paced. >W<  

Sellesion

Invisible Giver

17,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:22 am
Sellesion
smithers456
Sellesion
I play part of cosplay isn't for everyone.

Aww thanks for such a thoughtful response! I know it's something that some people, like myself, just need to keep working at if we want it to be fun and convincing. Right now I want to do a cosplay of Ed from Cowboy beebop, and I really have a feel for what she's like, and it's not out of my comfort zone to be soo... excited and weird? For lack of better words to describe her. Haha. I'm hoping that will make for a better 'in character' experience of mine.

As far as Soul Eater goes though, I cosplay Tsubaki! biggrin I don't think I was in that costume when I asked Crona for a hug, but that's ok. I think Crona and Tsubaki are my favorite, then next would be Maka, then Soul- and of course Kid and Stein are also very cool. But, There's something about Tsubaki's kindness and perseverance that I find really touching.

I know hugs at cons, from strangers, are a risk, and I know that someone can help me a bit if I get unwanted attention and hugs, but so far the conventions I go to have a really great crowd, and of course I mind my own manners with hugs and always ask first. We played a game that was basically a glomp circle. :3 People stand in a big circle, spin a bottle or something in the middle, and when it's your turn to spin, you run across the circle and hug the person on the other side, switching places with them. It was a lot of fun, because, being small like I am, sometimes People would just pick me up- spin me around and when I hit the ground again I'd just take off running- it was really fast paced. >W<

I know all of the characters from Soul Eater quite well and yes Tsubaki is very kind and thoughtful. She actually, truly cares about other people which unfortunately is getting rarer in these times. If you match her personality then that makes you a special person. I'm glad that their are young people in this generation that are like that. It gives me hope for the future. I'm 51 years old btw. I have seen a lot in my life so far and some series like Soul Eater truly make me think about what life is all about. If people pay attention they can find a lot of "life" lessons in that series. I was paying attention and the writers of the show did a wonderful job.

One of the things that really touched me at the end of the series is when no matter how much punishment that Maka got she was still determined not to be afraid when she was facing true chaos. She put on a "brave" front and faced her fears. It was mentioned a few times in the series that Maka's mother simply said one thing in the post card to her daughter. Be Brave. smile In real life their is a lot of fear. Facing your fears for your own sake or for others, Like in the Soul Eater series, it is a truly remarkable trait to have.

I like that no matter what Maka was faced with at the end of the series she was determined to help out her friends because she truly cares for them and even Loves them. People should take note of that.

Another thing that is explored a lot in the series is friendship. Maka;s reassurance to Crona that everything is going to be Ok and that she helped Crona get along with others shows what a true friend can be like. Many people don't see these special lessons of life in the series. They only see the fight of good vs evil & chaos. That's fine and makes the show very entertaining. The humor in it is nice too. I thought that I would share that with you.

Good luck in the future and if you are able to please make use of the photo sub forum of this Guild to show off your cosplay outfits.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:14 pm
I usually cosplay characters I can relate to or like, so most of the time I do cosplay in character. But, it's sort of a hard thing to achieve whenever you're around friends because I can be brought out really easily. Also whenever I see a cosplay of a character I adore, I go into spazz mode lol

But for pictures, it's a must to be in character. unless asked to do a goofy pose or whatever. xD

himelia

Shadowy Nerd

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:39 pm
himelia
I usually cosplay characters I can relate to or like, so most of the time I do cosplay in character. But, it's sort of a hard thing to achieve whenever you're around friends because I can be brought out really easily. Also whenever I see a cosplay of a character I adore, I go into spazz mode lol

But for pictures, it's a must to be in character. unless asked to do a goofy pose or whatever. xD

All three of my cosplay outfits are related to things that I like and certainly series and characters that I like a lot. I'm still working on being in character myself. Since I'm a Cosplay Photographer I tend to work on other cosplayers to be in character. I have gotten some great photos that way. Here is a suggestion. If you haven't done so already have a few different in character Cosplay poses ready to go. That helps us photographers out. That way you can be yourself with your friends more. Also if you haven't done so consider being in a group cosplay. That way you can practice being in character more. I haven't done this myself but my cosplay friends have said that it's very rewarding.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:26 am
smithers456
himelia

All three of my cosplay outfits are related to things that I like and certainly series and characters that I like a lot. I'm still working on being in character myself. Since I'm a Cosplay Photographer I tend to work on other cosplayers to be in character. I have gotten some great photos that way. Here is a suggestion. If you haven't done so already have a few different in character Cosplay poses ready to go. That helps us photographers out. That way you can be yourself with your friends more. Also if you haven't done so consider being in a group cosplay. That way you can practice being in character more. I haven't done this myself but my cosplay friends have said that it's very rewarding.

That's cool that you do that. The photographers I usually come across don't particularly have suggestions or anything. So I usually panic on the pose and default to crossing my ankles and smiling. Mostly due to the fact that I'm camera shy. uvu

At my last con I was a go get em'/tough character so I would make aggressive faces or punch my hand. I was much closer to character in the poses than I felt other years. So I've been making it a solid effort to be more in character.

That's a good suggestion that my peers gave me as well. After my last con, they encouraged me to cosplay in a group. So now I am cosplaying in a PMMM group for the next con because I realized that I may not be ready for soloing just yet. - ^ - I think it's only two of us though, but I've been studying poses that Demon!Homura does so I won't panic.

himelia

Shadowy Nerd

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:06 am
It depends on the situation for me. with my friends if we are in the same series we will just for the fun of it. [like when i'm terra my friend who is my sabin, and my kefka will be in character with me.] Kefka will slink up behind me and wrap their arm around my shoulder/neck when people talk to me, and stare over my shoulder in a kefkaish manner. XD it's fun watching reactions

but i mostly do it for children. i was sitting down at comic con one year in my princess chibi usa [sailor moon] gown, pink version. talking to my pluto and this little girl came up. sat down on the dress since i had it flared out and asked me if i was a princess. so i went into the whole story of chibi's background as if i was chibi. she ran off to her mother going "mommy mommy! she's the moon princess!! and from the future!" it was very adorable  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:38 am
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
It depends on the situation for me. with my friends if we are in the same series we will just for the fun of it. [like when i'm terra my friend who is my sabin, and my kefka will be in character with me.] Kefka will slink up behind me and wrap their arm around my shoulder/neck when people talk to me, and stare over my shoulder in a kefkaish manner. XD it's fun watching reactions

but i mostly do it for children. i was sitting down at comic con one year in my princess chibi usa [sailor moon] gown, pink version. talking to my pluto and this little girl came up. sat down on the dress since i had it flared out and asked me if i was a princess. so i went into the whole story of chibi's background as if i was chibi. she ran off to her mother going "mommy mommy! she's the moon princess!! and from the future!" it was very adorable

Hi Aurora, Since you know that I like the Sailor Moon series you have to post a photo of you Cosplaying princess chibi usa (If you have one). It's special being with the kids and seeing their eyes go wide and the big smiles. For obvious reasons I have to see that from a distance. I would Love to but as a rule I don't take photos of child cosplayers which is sad because I Love kids and I could easily be in character with them like you were. A special moment for both you and the little girl. I'm happy for you.

I have brought together cosplayers for a quick group shot before. Mostly Sailor Moon Cosplayers. One of the funny ones was that I was taking a photo of a Halo Group cosplay. I had to try a couple different angles because of the poor lighting. A couple of them wanted to walk away but I took them by surprise by acting like a drill Sargent and was barking orders like soldier fall in line and attention!!  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:55 am
smithers456
xXButterflied MemoriesXx

Hi Aurora, Since you know that I like the Sailor Moon series you have to post a photo of you Cosplaying princess chibi usa (If you have one). It's special being with the kids and seeing their eyes go wide and the big smiles. For obvious reasons I have to see that from a distance. I would Love to but as a rule I don't take photos of child cosplayers which is sad because I Love kids and I could easily be in character with them like you were. A special moment for both you and the little girl. I'm happy for you.

I have brought together cosplayers for a quick group shot before. Mostly Sailor Moon Cosplayers. One of the funny ones was that I was taking a photo of a Halo Group cosplay. I had to try a couple different angles because of the poor lighting. A couple of them wanted to walk away but I took them by surprise by acting like a drill Sargent and was barking orders like soldier fall in line and attention!!

haha. just for you when i was to the kid i was in this version of the dress X
I updated the dress with better fabric shortly after X  
-------- Cosplayers

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas