Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply HPSG Head Quarters
canon or fic? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

fanfic or canon?
  fanfic ^_^
  canon -.- (can you tell i'm biased? XD)
View Results

Tara Harkon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:57 pm
jaded1004
[.Tonks.Does.Pink.]
veneficusoccultus
I agree. I like the first 5 books but after the bad 6th book, I prefer fanfics...
I agree

actually i'll have to disagree with ya'll on that one XD;;;

i thought the first 2 books were the absolute worst!... actually *think* i didn't like any of them, only the 3rd and 4th books...

first 2= they were almost the same thing! most innocent minor character ever becomes the bad guy -.- wtf
3rd one= SIRIUS! heart heart heart
4th book= pretty intense i really liked it

*spoiler*

5th book- HOW COULD SHE KILL OFF MY SIRIUS?!?! WHY?!?!? WHY!!!?!?! HE WAS MY FAV CHAR!!! but aside from that i thought harry was being a completely whiny unbearable git and i wish he'd just keel over and die -.-
6th- harry's less of a git and more lovable XD;; but everyone else (especially ginny) is annoying >: how dare she try to steal harry away from draco?!

Odd thing I noticed, has almost nothing to do with this conversation but in RL at my school, most of the girls who go through boys like butter come out of the closet a short time later, maybe Ginny's a closet case? Or maybe I'm just being hopeful...  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:01 pm
severelyconfused111
GINNY MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now that that's over with. I hate. Absolutely hate Harry/Ginny. It is the worst pairing ever conceived. I have read better fanfictions. So yes, I much prefer fanfics over Rowling by this point... because book 6 acted like one. It was a bad immitation of good writing. I mean, what kind of author just spontaneously decides that teenagers much suddenly be overcome with hormones, and ravish one another. And what's worse is that it's not just the teenagers that pair up! It's everybody! Something in the water. I'm telling you.
Anyway- excuse my ranting madly, but I really hate to say it, but book 7 better be ******** amazing, because after book 6, I'd be happier to just stick with fanfics.

can we compromise this one and just let Ginny live out a long and happy life......shagging Granger?  

Tara Harkon

Dev Daron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:12 am
jaded1004
to be honest i don't like rowling much sweatdrop i've never liked her at all.. i think she's extremely overrated... but!!! i've read all her books because...

i heart hp slash!

i don't read slash after i read the canon, i read the books BECAUSE of the slash i really think there are so many fanfic writers that're much more talented than rowling -.- we should let them finish the series xd

but yeah! i hate what they've done to draco i like stoic draco not whiny prissy mess draco -.- and i absolutely hate harry x ginny ;_; *cries* in my eyes harry will only have 1 true love (which is draco)

so what does everyone think? are the original books better than the slash? if you had to pick one, which would it be?

I agree with you. Sometime after I read the fifth book, I stumbled onto schnoogle.com and became hooked to fanfiction ever since. Not to mention I didn't even know about HD until I was reading a fic that implied HD but didn't realize it until later and decided that I liked the idea of HD fics. rofl Anywho, when the sixth book came out, I was really disappointed that I liked fanfic authors better than Rowling. A lot of fanfic writers ARE more talented than Rowling.

Book 6 did suck. Harry was...I don't know. I just didn't like Harry being a suspicious git.

Also, Ginny/Harry isn't my favorite fanfic pairing, but It can be okay if written well.

Ginny/Luna! I personally can't imagine Hermione as a lesbian, no matter how hard I try, she will always and forever be with Ron. Luna is my favorite character other than Draco.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:15 am
Lady Squire Lys Cooper
jaded1004
[.Tonks.Does.Pink.]
veneficusoccultus
I agree. I like the first 5 books but after the bad 6th book, I prefer fanfics...
I agree

actually i'll have to disagree with ya'll on that one XD;;;

i thought the first 2 books were the absolute worst!... actually *think* i didn't like any of them, only the 3rd and 4th books...

first 2= they were almost the same thing! most innocent minor character ever becomes the bad guy -.- wtf
3rd one= SIRIUS! heart heart heart
4th book= pretty intense i really liked it

*spoiler*

5th book- HOW COULD SHE KILL OFF MY SIRIUS?!?! WHY?!?!? WHY!!!?!?! HE WAS MY FAV CHAR!!! but aside from that i thought harry was being a completely whiny unbearable git and i wish he'd just keel over and die -.-
6th- harry's less of a git and more lovable XD;; but everyone else (especially ginny) is annoying >: how dare she try to steal harry away from draco?!

Odd thing I noticed, has almost nothing to do with this conversation but in RL at my school, most of the girls who go through boys like butter come out of the closet a short time later, maybe Ginny's a closet case? Or maybe I'm just being hopeful...

I noticed that too! I have three best friends who are like that. whee  

Dev Daron

Hatelijk_en_bloeden

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:05 pm
Fanwritters should get together and have a "comic party" and take over writing the books.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:05 am
Hatelijk_en_bloeden
Fanwritters should get together and have a "comic party" and take over writing the books.
xd  

a-little-piggy

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Sienna Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:05 am
-confrazzled- sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:37 am
I love the books.
Fanfic is just what I use to keep me occupied when I'm waiting for the next book.
I don't think its all that amazing, and I mostly like the cannon better, because I know thats the legit story.
But thats just me..

[Godess of Sporks]

~Remus J. Lupin~

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:09 pm
How is it possible to like HP slash and hate JKR's writing @A@!! If anybody ever said that about something I created I think I'd cry. Don't get me wrong, fanfiction is all well and good when the fanfiction writer is competent and literate, but in the end all the hard work of character creation and development is done by the original author. I mean, unless they are just taking the names out of the books and re-writing the series entirely with the marauders as Slytherins and Snape as a Gryffindor, the characters presented, the world, the context are ALL based of JKR's pen tip, and most worthwhile fanfiction authors seem to try to give some credibility to the canon... (I'm uber picky with fanfiction and I usually only really read HP anyway ._.;; )

So...reading/writing fanfiction without the books gonk ;;; It's like trying to drive with one eye missing...  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:28 pm
I really don't care for JKR's writing.
I mean, I don't mind it, but after the sixth book didn't really seem to fit in the series.
And it just seemed like she didn't want to write them anymore.

I'd much rather read fanfiction.
But I'm very picky about what ones I read.
:/

I hate it when people change the characters.
It makes me angry.
D:

~~<3~~

Sincerely Elliot

colonelhavoc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:54 am
I like them both. Of course I like it when I can decide the fate of my favorite characters but we wouldn't have fics for HP if we didn't have teh cannon. So while I love the fics I'm still loyal to the cannons.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:30 pm
Haha. I didn't like the sixth book very much either. I marked quite a few typos (OH NOES) and that fact just tugged at the back of my mind for the entire book. I wasn't focusing on what was going on after the first few, because I was just looking for typos.

lol.

I'll have to find them if I decide to ever read through the sixth one again.

Faerlie

Tiny Kitten

11,600 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100

Loryene

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:42 pm
i used to love the books but after reading fanfiction... the books just seem so... boring eek  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:17 pm
I began reading fanfictions way before the 6th book (which was a complete disappointment) came about. Rowling completely destroyed me when she paired up that Weaslette with Harry. It's just... yuck. scream It's one of the reasons that I stick with my fantasy world.

I've heard that she's going to kill off a lot of the main characters in book 7, which pisses me off tremendously. stressed I've always been an avid slash reader so... I'm debating on whether to read the 7th book or not when it comes out.

Uke Incognito

Cappucetto Rosso

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:15 pm
Wow...I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely love the books (all of them!) and when I read fanfiction I tend to be put off by the ones that completely ignore canon.

I mean, obviously I'd rather read Harry/Draco than Harry/Ginny, and Sirius/Remus is my all time favourite pairing ever, but I actually like most of the het pairings in the books. I KNOW Rowling isn't going to pair up the characters I'd like her to, but that doesn't mean I think they should all be single for the duration of the books. And I LOVE Ron and Hermione.

I don't see why it's so hard for some fanfiction writers to at least ACKNOWLEDGE the canon when they write. Unless a fic is clearly labelled as an AU, I need the writer to at least explain WHY Ginny and Hermione don't mind Harry and Ron making out in front of them. Or how it is that James ended up with Lily when he was, apparently, so damned in love with Severus.  
HPSG Head Quarters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff