Welcome to Gaia! ::

THE RANDOM PEOPLE OF TOMORROW [[LET'S RAWRRR]]

Back to Guilds

Playground for the random. 

Tags: Random, Hangout, Roleplay, Contests, Arts 

Reply Religion and Faith Forum [Debate, Discuss, Explain]]
would you like proof god exists? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

2A30128

Shameless Heckler

12,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:28 pm
@KnowingHate: That's my favorite argument against God's existence. "Did God create himself?" xd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:35 pm
C a r a m e l K i t t e h
I agree with AAA. How can animals know where to migrate to each season? How did they know in the first place? Monarch butterflies move around but it takes about 3 generations to get to their destination.

I have a hard time believing that life started from one cell and is responsible for plants and animals.

Theres just so much going on thats too much for us to just be considered 'lucky'

~facepalms repetitively~
...well,it's called instinct. Or rather memory.Generationally. Genetically. They learn where to go to find food when the seasons change. Where to go to reproduce. It's their finely-tuned senses.

--I have a hard time believing that you believe in magic and hocus pocus.
But yet again,there are those out there who pray to heal cancer.

--Luck is not part of the equation. Mathematical probabilities are. There are only so many possible outcomes. Some make it,some don't. A gene mutates, an organism makes it or does not. It's not random, neither it is lucky. It's about patterns and the laws of physics, as well as how chemicals and ions and charges make everything fit and have done so. It is a system that has no need for 'luck' or an invisible hand.

--"God" is both father and son, dontchaknow? "He" impregnated the void with his own seed from nothingness.  

VeganIncubus

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

Corporal Maladict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:44 pm
XxLeComtesseAndrogynexX
C a r a m e l K i t t e h
I agree with AAA. How can animals know where to migrate to each season? How did they know in the first place? Monarch butterflies move around but it takes about 3 generations to get to their destination.

I have a hard time believing that life started from one cell and is responsible for plants and animals.

Theres just so much going on thats too much for us to just be considered 'lucky'

~facepalms repetitively~
...well,it's called instinct. Or rather memory.Generationally. Genetically. They learn where to go to find food when the seasons change. Where to go to reproduce. It's their finely-tuned senses.

--I have a hard time believing that you believe in magic and hocus pocus.
But yet again,there are those out there who pray to heal cancer.

--Luck is not part of the equation. Mathematical probabilities are. There are only so many possible outcomes. Some make it,some don't. A gene mutates, an organism makes it or does not. It's not random, neither it is lucky. It's about patterns and the laws of physics, as well as how chemicals and ions and charges make everything fit and have done so. It is a system that has no need for 'luck' or an invisible hand.

--"God" is both father and son, dontchaknow? "He" impregnated the void with his own seed from nothingness.

Actually, prayer to heal cancer might work even if there is no God. You see, it's like placebo medicine. If the patient truly believes that prayer can heal, those positive feelings could well change the chemical/cellular balance of his/her body so that the cancer would perhaps spread slower or something. The effects of placebo medicines on various illnesses have been well documented scientifically.

You know, I just had a random 4 am idea. Maybe God travelled back in time to create himself? rofl  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:55 pm
Um, Me again.

See, in scientific terms, God is the energy inside every living being, enabling them to do remarkable things.

In atheist motivational terms, God is the universe sending you back what you asked for or deserve.

In Religious terms, God is an all knowing being that created everything.

One thing in common about these is that "God" is, always was and always will be. (Period)  

APigInAWig

Savage Tactician

6,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

KnowingHate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:56 pm
Shady-chan
@KnowingHate: That's my favorite argument against God's existence. "Did God create himself?" xd

I never considered that........  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:47 pm
XxLeComtesseAndrogynexX
Quote:
Indeed. But did you know Pascal himself was a true believer, and he didn't believe because of the 'Pascal's wager' reasons, he just devised that up as a good argument to use on non-believers.

My question to Pascal, if he lived, would be: 'can you just choose to believe? What if the belief dies? Isn't belief a bit like being gay, you don't decide it... only instead of being born that way it comes from how you're raised, or if believers are right, from God...'

His idea or rather, outlook on belief appears to be a very cowardly one. It's like the " as if" argument. Act as if you were being watched and judged. Why not be a little bit more autonomous and less frightened of being punished for not believing in or having no need of a higher power?
Act as if you're in constant danger, as if there are shadows at every corner out to get you and holding their existence as real will save you from them. Of course you don't have to believe it, just pretend hard enough and wonderful things will happen to you. Isn't that a bit disingenuous and deceitful?

--An argument used to stay on people's good side. To not be shunned, pointed and singled out. Still today, choosing a more realistic and true- to oneself path seems to be reason for ostracism. Is it because we wanna be saved? Or because we don't want to bear the mark of the social pariah and the visionary?

--Sometimes individuals have little say over what they are brought up believing. But it's not genetic. I was born gay, it's in my cells, my DNA. Religion is something environmental... cultural and social. I have a say on the values I adopt, reject and see as valid in my life. We all do. Evolution taught us to fear everything in order to survive and perpetuate the species. Reason and science shows us the smoke and mirrors behind superstition. When there is no god of the gaps and no demons in caves, or dragons, or sirens killing sailors, then we can appreciate the world for what it is, not for what we want it to be out of dread and ignorance.

gods are born out of terror.

.............please respond to debate topics more often. reading this was a breath of fresh air. very well written.  

cleolvtempus

Thirteenth Celebrator

5,700 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Tycoon 200

Corporal Maladict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:56 pm
Nico_Ryan
Um, Me again.

See, in scientific terms, God is the energy inside every living being, enabling them to do remarkable things.

In atheist motivational terms, God is the universe sending you back what you asked for or deserve.

One thing in common about these is that "God" is, always was and always will be. (Period)

What is God in Agnostic terms? Or Buddhist terms?

And what if you're an atheist and don't believe the universe sends you back what you ask for or deserve? What if you believe the universe is total chaos and everything is just random? Sh*t happens. Deal with it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:00 pm
Yeah,but have tests been done to prove that prayer works like a placebo?
Can non-theists still pray? o.o

--I shall, Cleo ^^

Quote:

--That which allows cells to function and keep people in motion are called mitochondria,alongside other organelles such as the golgi apparatus and the rough endoplasmic reticulum,etc.

--In "atheist motivational terms" as you call them, the universe does not send things back,people do. The universe does not have a consciousness, as far as we know. I could be mistaken. But it's usually people who retaliate and respond to stimuli around them. To input and output.
--God is all knowing. So "God" knows who is 'saved' and who is not... who is going to suffer and who is not. So, if he/she/it knows everything,why not stop these things from happening...people from suffering, being raped, murdered by the thousands? Of course,if he could. But he/she/it cannot, can he/she/it? Only people can stop suffering, but cannot stop them from dying, no one can. And if god is neither able nor willing then why call him/she/it god? Unless it is a deist god. But I digress.

--Just like the atoms and particles and molecules...they are, we just don't worship them. Worshiping something is a bit petty,isn't it...something so great does not need our servitude. Our respect maybe,like the ecosystem as well as our help. Do you think that if there is a god, he/she/it may be insecure or just not really there?
I personally think that if there is a god, he/she/it does not give a f**k. It is kinda nice to not give a f**k...but if you have people on their knees,praying and pleading and yet he does not do s**t,then that's just being a b*****d and one sadistic,deranged,psychotic mother-fu**er.  

VeganIncubus

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

VeganIncubus

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:03 pm
Corporal Maladict
Nico_Ryan
Um, Me again.

What is God in Agnostic terms? Or Buddhist terms?

And what if you're an atheist and don't believe the universe sends you back what you ask for or deserve? What if you believe the universe is total chaos and everything is just random? Sh*t happens. Deal with it.

When life gives you crap, make crap-onade.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:51 am
Shady-chan
Assuming that God is real and the Bible being an accurate source to go on, I'm going to have to say yes. God is considered omnipotent, omniscience, and omnipresent. A being that creates the Biblical God would be above him, therefore impossible by definition.

Still under the pretense that God is real, if he was created through natural means, it would still be considered self-creation.

Xallus

Familiar Noob

VeganIncubus

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:10 pm
Xallus
Shady-chan
Assuming that God is real and the Bible being an accurate source to go on, I'm going to have to say yes. God is considered omnipotent, omniscience, and omnipresent. A being that creates the Biblical God would be above him, therefore impossible by definition.

Still under the pretense that God is real, if he was created through natural means, it would still be considered self-creation.

"Assuming that God is real and the Bible an accurate source to go on"?
That's one mighty assumption.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:19 pm
XxLeComtesseAndrogynexX
Xallus
Shady-chan

no greater an assumption than what other god believers have posted before, or what we post in the assumption that the universe evolved.....although i guess when you have physical proof thats not an assumption anymore now is it?? more of a theory i guess....

cleolvtempus

Thirteenth Celebrator

5,700 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Tycoon 200

Xallus

Familiar Noob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:40 pm
XxLeComtesseAndrogynexX
Xallus
Shady-chan

I was taking the side of a belief I don't follow just to answer a question. Didn't want someone to come in going "hur hur but the Bible is created by man so it's not facts!" because that wasn't the point. cool If it were an accurate source to go on, that would be my answer. Since believers of God would likely base their answer on that, it's what anyone should respond with right?

I personally think that religion is simply a manifestation of our own fears of dying.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:43 pm
i don't beleive any one thing could make all the universe, and sertainly not one man, if one thing did create everything it'd be a goddess, not a god.  

overlooked shadow

5,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

Xallus

Familiar Noob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:47 pm
vampirewarrier
i don't beleive any one thing could make all the universe, and sertainly not one man, if one thing did create everything it'd be a goddess, not a god.
"God" was a female, that's why she made Adam have a p***s. After, she wanted to have girl-talk with an intelligent being, thus Eve was created. The devil created the concept of "diets", and that's how Eve got tricked into eating the forbidden fruit.

It all makes sense if you think about it, because I don't know any guy who'd be tempted to eat a ******** apple when some almighty god watched over him. Now if it was the forbidden tree of heavenly bacon....

Religion and Faith Forum [Debate, Discuss, Explain]]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff