Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Ancient Lands (4th edition, recruiting) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:47 am
Why wouldn't it be okay? sweatdrop

What style? *headtilt*  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:54 am
lol I don't know. I just figured I'd ask just to make sure. My previous group liked to keep parties as balanced as possible so I guess it's just habbit to ask xp I'm planning with going with Ranged style. I'm still setting up my character sheet. It should be done shortly though.  

Ziekara

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:01 am
I feel balance is more important in 3rd than 4th. It still HELPS, mind you. But a party of all strikers can do well enough as a party of all controllers or leaders or defenders. A uniform party would still have an awkward feel to it and it would make combat a bit more complicated (especially with defenders overmarking each other). But in 3rd ed, some characters were more crunchy than others, but you needed them to defeat certain monsters, so balance was almost mandatory sweatdrop

This will put us at 2 ranged strikers, 1 melee striker, 1 melee defender, 1 melee leader, and 1 whatever Spork is. I don't even know what to classify such hybrid characters.

I think it has the potential to work out well smile As long as you guys don't overwork me, your poor Leader X_x  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:49 am
Rain Yupa
This will put us at 2 ranged strikers, 1 melee striker, 1 melee defender, 1 melee leader, and 1 whatever Spork is. I don't even know what to classify such hybrid characters.

I think it has the potential to work out well smile As long as you guys don't overwork me, your poor Leader X_x
i plan on focusing more on the avenger side than the psion side, so i guess I'm a melee striker, I'm only going to be a controller to about the extent that Arc is, by the looks of it.

I only even went hybrid to get minor creation per encounter, instead of as a daily.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

glitterboypilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:59 am
What is Versatile Expertise? I have looked and looked though the books I have and can't find it.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:03 pm
It's from PHB3. It combines Weapon Expertise (PHB2) and Implement Expertise (PHB2) into one feat.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Ziekara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:29 pm
Sorry it took so long! I finally have my character Ariana all set and ready to go, background included. Please let me know if I did everything correctly heart  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:39 pm
Ziekara
Sorry it took so long! I finally have my character Ariana all set and ready to go, background included. Please let me know if I did everything correctly heart
DM said you get practiced study and two martial practices if you want them.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Ziekara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:45 pm
SporkMaster5000
Ziekara

Sorry for my ignorance but would you mind telling me what those are? gonk I'm kind of new to this and only have the first two PHBs and I can't seem to find either of those.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:47 pm
Ziekara
SporkMaster5000
Ziekara

Sorry for my ignorance but would you mind telling me what those are? gonk I'm kind of new to this and only have the first two PHBs and I can't seem to find either of those.
they're like rituals, but with less magic, they're printed in martial power 2. if you don't have the book or character builder, i don't think you'll miss anything big without them.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Ziekara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:52 pm
SporkMaster5000
Ziekara
SporkMaster5000
Ziekara

they're like rituals, but with less magic, they're printed in martial power 2. if you don't have the book or character builder, i don't think you'll miss anything big without them.

I'll just live without them. I'm not too concerned.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:57 pm
What Spork said about their novelty-and-nothing-elseness. At level 1, one lets you craft weapons, armor, or gear; another lets you make a temporary fix on an object that lasts 24 hours; another lets you learn more from tracks; and the last lets you predict the weather.

All useful, but not TPK-worthy if you don't have it. Unless your DM is a jerk.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:06 pm
Rain Yupa
I feel balance is more important in 3rd than 4th. It still HELPS, mind you. But a party of all strikers can do well enough as a party of all controllers or leaders or defenders. A uniform party would still have an awkward feel to it and it would make combat a bit more complicated (especially with defenders overmarking each other). But in 3rd ed, some characters were more crunchy than others, but you needed them to defeat certain monsters, so balance was almost mandatory sweatdrop

In my detailed experience, which Rain has been present for partially, I've seen that some roles are certainly required for party survivability. Leaders in particular, with Strikers at a close second. Defenders and Controllers are both useful, but less vital to a party. But if there's any role that really doesn't have an upper limit on them, it's strikers, we could easily run all the strikers the guild can give us without problem.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:43 pm
I'm not a jerk :/

But that's the reason why I gave the feat for free: you have it if you wanna use it, but if you don't wanna use it, you can just ignore it. Most players have more important, more useful feats to take at these levels, plus the practices can be expensive. It COULD prove useful, I will say that much, but it's optional.

Anyways, Ms Ziekara: everything looks solid. Welcome to the party!  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Ziekara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:12 pm
Keith Valken Lionheart
I'm not a jerk :/

But that's the reason why I gave the feat for free: you have it if you wanna use it, but if you don't wanna use it, you can just ignore it. Most players have more important, more useful feats to take at these levels, plus the practices can be expensive. It COULD prove useful, I will say that much, but it's optional.

Anyways, Ms Ziekara: everything looks solid. Welcome to the party!

Thank you! I'm very excited to join biggrin  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces