Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fifth Year Classes
Alchemy III ~ (1/5) Open! (Desires of an Alchemist) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:03 pm
User Image

User ImageUser ImageLocation: Alchemy Class (Tuesday: 2:00pm to 2:45pm)

David quickly rushed to Alchemy and got his books out for class. He loved Alchemy and didn’t want to fail at the one class he was good at. Taking the most detailed notes he could muster David paused for a second when Professor Angel said he’d be practicing the spell on him. ‘God no… I’m going to suck at this…’ David thought as he opened his book to the session on Expono and began reading.

‘Concentrate on what you know and allow it to form into an image…’ David read wondering if he even knew enough about his Professor to make something worthwhile. “Well I’m pretty sure I’m going to fail at this but I’ll give it my best try I guess.” David said taking his wand out. Taking a deep breath David gave a light tap before guiding his wand and saying the incantation. “Expono.” He said imagining nothing but darkness. Remembering everything he could about his Professor David concentrated on nothing else and let everything else go.

Using the knowledge David had that Professor Angel was Head of Ravenclaw he knew that meant that like so many Ravenclaws he had to have an interest in knowledge and a love of books. Of course that would be more of an assumption then actual fact. However what he knew for certain was that his Professor had an enthusiasm for his subject and a way of making it fun. Not to mention a willingness to help his students succeed. With all that an illusion formed in David’s mind.

A rather strange illusion of birds and what looked like parchment or pages of a book appeared in David's vision. Blues and Silvers were the predominant colors he saw. Losing concentration David shook his head. Yeah he totally didn't get the meaning. It had to be something good thought right?

With: Class

Wearing: Uniform

OOC: Here is my very lame attempt at this cause I'm winging it sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:36 pm
Professor of Alchemy
..........Ravenclaw Head of House
"The cycle of life only goes one direction,
not even alchemy can change that."

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
╔══════════════╗
Lesson One: Desires of an Alchemist
╚══════════════╝

Striding diligently across the rows of desks and chairs, Angel reached the front of his class and turned to meet his students. ”Welcome back, hope your summer was well. Welcome to Alchemy III, I am Professor Juan Angel Amorocho, call me Professor Angel, or just professor is fine. Today, we’re going to learn about the desires of an alchemist during the boom of the renaissance. Now, during the renaissance era is when the height of a prolonged lifestyle sparked birth, along with the desire to be rich and famous. So, of course, there had always been a search for a stone which could convert ordinary metals to gold, immortality for the spirit and soul, and the creation of artificial life.

“Now, unbeknownst to many alchemists, the true reasons behind the study of alchemy was not only for science, but for spiritual ambition as well. Alchemists believe that there is a quintessence, where the Above can be created in the Below, thus, heaven on earth in spirit and mind. So, with that in mind, there was only a very small percentage of alchemists true to the ideal of discovering the truth of alchemy, which is why in ancient texts, it can be impossible to discern which ingredients is being used because of the basic, generic terms used for each items.

“An alchemist must engage his studies with a pure heart if his desire is to achieve spiritual perfection and immortality. Essentially, you can almost call alchemy a religion, and the quintessence, heaven. But you will only be learning practical alchemy in this class, but there is a genuine scientific merriment to the philosophical aspect of alchemy. Which, I can explain very simply with this quote from an unknown alchemist.... Now, are there any questions?”

Quote:
“Would to God . . . all men might become adepts in our Art -- for then gold, the great idol of mankind, would lose its value, and we should prize it only for its scientific teaching.”

Juan Angel Amorocho
User Image User Image User Image

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:16 pm
Like a, like a, like a bullet train
Moving like the speed of sound
Feet can't keep on the ground
Can't stay in one place
Keep moving like a bullet train
'Cause I can't stop time
You keep blurring in my mind

User Image
Uriel Adair Scott
- Muggleborn - Fifth Year - Hufflepuff - Prefect -
[feeling: calm] [thinking: ...] [with: Fifth Years] [at: Alchemy]

Uriel had come to accept he would never be very good at Alchemy. He was decent with it, at least in terms of writing papers... the actual practical work, not so much... He had a feeling he was going to end up dropping it next year. He took notes as the professor talked, too busy writing to even think of any questions.

If you can't do something smart, do something right.

And space is undefined
These tracks left behind
We can't stay the same
Can't stop this train
I can't find the brakes
On this bullet train
'Cause I can't stop

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:39 am
Professor of Alchemy

╔══════════════╗
Lesson Two: Famous Alchemists
╚══════════════╝

Professor Angel stood from his perched position behind his tidy desk once his students had entered the classroom; he bounded around the edge of his desk to begin the day. As the students settled themselves within their seats, he casually withdrew his wand and offered a simple flick of the wrist. The motionless chalk nestled beside the board jumped with a sudden shock and began to write.

”Quite possibly the most famous alchemists in history are written on the board. For house points, can anyone give me any examples as to what contributions these historical figures had made to alchemy?”

Quote:
        Dzou Yen (fl. 4th century B.C.)
        Nicolas Flamel (c. 1327—c. 1992)
        Paracelsus (1493—1541)
        Albus Dumbledore (1881—1997)

[OOC: ]

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:25 pm
Can't stay in one place
'Cause I can't stop time

User Image
Uriel Adair Scott

Uriel raised his hand. "Dzou Yen," he began, certain he had butchered the pronunciation of the name, "Lived during the final years of the Zhou Dynasty, and is considered one of the founders of Chinese scientific thought. He's said to have refined the theories of the Five Elements and Yin and Yang." He fell silent then, because he wasn't going to be that one person everyone hated who answered everything and left no room for anyone else to respond.

And space is undefined
These tracks left behind
We can't stay the same
Can't stop this train
I can't find the brakes
On this bullet train
'Cause I can't stop

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:18 pm
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
Third Lesson: Expono Spell
╚══════════════╝
          As the professor of alchemy entered the classroom, he ushered a simple wave of his wand to create a flutter of his handwriting to appear on the chalkboard at the front of the class. All around, the flutter of wings from caged pixies rustled around the class. Striding diligently across the rows of desks and chairs, Angel reached the front of his class and turned to meet his students. ”To dissuade the callous and greedy of heart from discovering the truths behind alchemy, and it’s because of those paranoid wizards that we have spells like Expono to help identify what type of man you may be dealing with during experiments and collaborations...

“This spell is quite exhausting and requires a keen sense of mind, but the wand movements and pronunciation are quite simple in comparison. A simple and gentle tap on the left temple of their head with your wand, and then guide the tip down towards the heart (without touching the victim) as you recite the incantation, ex-poe-NU.

"The trick is to imagine yourself in the darkness, you can't see who your facing, but you know they're there, so use every bit of information you've ever seen or heard from them to help shift their body into the form that best represents their motives, their ambition in life, the animal, the color, the feeling that best describes them. All of this, will lead you to an illusion cast over the victim that's intricately tied to the one who cast the spell. It's always hard to decipher the meaning of these illusions, because of that fact. It's very rare for the same outcome to appear when two different wizards practice the spell on the same target, so, you'll have to feel it in your guts to understand. Because everyone's perception of good, and evil, and love and hate is very, very different. Which is what makes this spell very controversial in modern day times.

"Once you've completed your reading on the chapter, you may begin practicing with the caged pixies set up in each corner of the class. I do suggest, however, you either freeze the pixie or try to stun him, to be able to properly perform the spell.”

The board
turn to page 13 in your textbooks

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:20 pm
Professor of Alchemy

╔══════════════╗
Alchemy III
Lesson Four: Patronus Potion
Tuesday, Block Six, 2:00 pm to 2:45 pm

╚══════════════╝

He entered the classroom with long, swift strides, a callous and purposeful flick of his wand had led the directions with the page number to appear on his chalkboard while he waited for any students to gather at his class. Once they had, he rose from his seat behind his desk and cleared his throat. ”Once you’ve completed reading the chapter, you may begin.” It was simple enough, and he waited to see how the students would perform.

Quote:
                          Turn to page eighteen in your textbooks.

Juan Angel Amorocho

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:29 pm
Can't stay in one place
'Cause I can't stop time

User Image
Uriel Adair Scott

Uriel had never cast a patronus, so he was obviously eager to see what his was. He read the chapter as fast as possible. If he skimmed, he would make a mistake, but he wanted to have enough time to complete the potion. He added the three fourths of ptolemy and brought his cauldron to a slow boil, leaving it like that while crushed the four grams of aconite flower and then the seven grams of moly flower. "Glacius," he muttered, and with a wisp of icy vapor they were crystallized and in the cauldron. He carefully counted his strokes as he stirred with his wand, almost getting burned by a popping bubble. He continued like this, focus evident on his face, until finally, finally, the now purple potion started to glow. He stepped back as smoke formed like storm clouds, and to his shock, formed into the shape of a bear, which rose up on its hind legs as if to growl, before fading away. His patronus was a bear?

And space is undefined
These tracks left behind
We can't stay the same
Can't stop this train
I can't find the brakes
On this bullet train
'Cause I can't stop

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:11 am
Professor of Alchemy

╔══════════════╗
Alchemy III
Lesson Five: Aqua Vitae
Tuesday, Block Six, 2:00 pm to 2:45 pm

╚══════════════╝

He entered the classroom with long, swift strides, a callous and purposeful flick of his wand had led the directions with the page number to appear on his chalkboard while he waited for any students to gather at his class. Once they had, he rose from his seat behind his desk and cleared his throat. ”Today we will be learning how to brew one of alchemy's most noted concoctions, aqua vitae. We will not be actually brewing this potion because, well, it's basically a recipe for liquor. However, this potion happens to be widely versatile as it is required in the creation for other complex potions. Once you've completed your reading on the chapter, I'd be happy to answer questions you might have. ” It was simple enough, and he waited to see how the students would perform.

Quote:
                          Turn to page nineteen in your textbooks.

Juan Angel Amorocho

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:33 pm
Professor of Alchemy

╔══════════════╗
╚══════════════╝

Striding diligently across the rows of desks and chairs, Angel reached the front of his class and turned to meet his students. ”Welcome back, hope your summer was well. Welcome to Alchemy III, I am Professor Juan Angel Amorocho, call me Professor Angel, or just professor is fine. Today, we’re going to learn about the desires of an alchemist during the boom of the renaissance. Now, during the renaissance era is when the height of a prolonged lifestyle sparked birth, along with the desire to be rich and famous. So, of course, there had always been a search for a stone which could convert ordinary metals to gold, immortality for the spirit and soul, and the creation of artificial life.

“Now, unbeknownst to many alchemists, the true reasons behind the study of alchemy was not only for science, but for spiritual ambition as well. Alchemists believe that there is a quintessence, where the Above can be created in the Below, thus, heaven on earth in spirit and mind. So, with that in mind, there was only a very small percentage of alchemists true to the ideal of discovering the truth of alchemy, which is why in ancient texts, it can be impossible to discern which ingredients is being used because of the basic, generic terms used for each items.

“An alchemist must engage his studies with a pure heart if his desire is to achieve spiritual perfection and immortality. Essentially, you can almost call alchemy a religion, and the quintessence, heaven. But you will only be learning practical alchemy in this class, but there is a genuine scientific merriment to the philosophical aspect of alchemy. Which, I can explain very simply with this quote from an unknown alchemist.... Now, are there any questions?”

Quote:
“Would to God . . . all men might become adepts in our Art -- for then gold, the great idol of mankind, would lose its value, and we should prize it only for its scientific teaching.”

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:41 pm
Professor of Alchemy

╔══════════════╗
Lesson Two: Famous Alchemists
╚══════════════╝

Professor Angel stood from his perched position behind his tidy desk once his students had entered the classroom; he bounded around the edge of his desk to begin the day. As the students settled themselves within their seats, he casually withdrew his wand and offered a simple flick of the wrist. The motionless chalk nestled beside the board jumped with a sudden shock and began to write.

”Quite possibly the most famous alchemists in history are written on the board. For house points, can anyone give me any examples as to what contributions these historical figures had made to alchemy?”

Quote:
        Dzou Yen (fl. 4th century B.C.)
        Nicolas Flamel (c. 1327—c. 1992)
        Paracelsus (1493—1541)
        Albus Dumbledore (1881—1997)

Juan Angel Amorocho

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:43 pm
Professor of Alchemy

╔══════════════╗
Alchemy III
Tuesday, Block Six, 2:00pm to 2:45pm

╚══════════════╝

“An alchemist must engage his studies with a pure heart if his desire is to achieve spiritual perfection and immortality. Essentially, you can almost call it a religion, and the quintessence, heaven. But you will only be learning practical alchemy in this class, but there is a genuine scientific merriment to the philosophical aspect of alchemy. Which, I can explain very simply with this quote from an unknown alchemist.... Now, are there any questions?”

Quote:

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:35 pm
Robin 'Theo' Gibbs

House: Gryffindor{|}Dueler{|}Fifth Year

Theo walked into one of his well-liked classes, wondering what they would be learning today. He took an active interest in this course really...despite not always using magic. The difference between the lecture and history of magic really was the fact that he had an interest in the idea of learning the history of Alchemy, where learning the history of the entire Wizarding World in general kind of bored him. That wasn't the case in Alchemy. Because of his interest, he noticed that he took in a lot and retained it better. The Professor always seemed to get across the information to him personally.

He really just took notes this time around however. He really didn't have any questions following the lesson. It was summed up pretty well and didn't leave anything open to ask about. Maybe one of his classmates could think of a question, but he personally couldn't. He did like the quote though. He thought it was an interesting thought actually. It made Alchemy seem extremely exclusive, which made it a little more cool to learn it.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:05 am
User Image
David Sinclair League
[Ravenclaw]

User ImageUser Image
Conditional Second Heir of the Avery Family/Clan
Ravenclaw Prefect
Wand: Supple and Smooth//11 3/4 inches//Hawthorne//Fairy Hair
Current Age: 15
Year at Hogwarts: Fifth
Wearing: His Uniform
Dating Leonette Mitchell

David sat down quietly on the opposite side of the room as Theo. While his classmates may have thought David as an obnoxious, know-it-all, prat, David didn't open his mouth usually in class unless he had an answer. Or he was bored and felt like tearing apart every word that was said by an incompetent professor. Or what he felt was incompetent. And in the case of History of Magic, he showed up basically either ending up reading some other book, allowing his thoughts to wonder-until he got fed up with his own thoughts, or to talk/flirt with Leo (which honestly, probably wasn't the best of ideas considering he got called out on that a year or so ago). Quite frankly, most of the trouble Leo seemed to get into in class was his fault technically-but professors were in more of a habit of punishing her because she cared. He didn't beyond his grades usually. Unless, the prefect badge, which David just kept in a pocket in his robes generally, was Professor Amorocho's way of punishing him. David may have not really caused problems in Alchemy but the professor was the head of his house so he would have known about the other incidents and the fact David was sure professors talked-it was only logical. After all, wasn't the healing professor on pretty good terms with the idiot teaching charms. Maybe the woman just had bad taste.

He took notes on the history and theories behind alchemy and made a note of the quote merely as something to do, but the topic was interesting beyond just learning facts like history and as the lecture turned to spiritual ambition and the belief of quintessence. "So, basically something like achieving nirvana of the mind before you can find the truest quality of ingredients in alchemy? Granted, Nirvana is more of an Eastern concept and the discussion is more of the renaissance boom in Europe, correct?"

Shaking his head David said, "Well, couldn't the texts be so impossible to discern because the concept in oneself is basically impossible? No one can be completely happy or carefree or at bliss. I mean knowledge for the sake of knowledge I get, but I don't see how that translates into someone being truly happy and at peace..." He trailed off glancing away and scowling. David was fine with the thought of just learning to know-he liked the idea-and he did have that trait of Ravenclaws-but he didn't have the patience for the spiritual 'at peace' aspect alchemist were supposed to have. It made no sense to him and was too abstract of a concept to him.

User Image

Quote:

{OOC}

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:08 pm
User Image XXXXXXXXXXXXUser Image

ⒽⓐⓛⓕⓑⓛⓞⓞⓓXXXXXXXXXX⒟⒜⒯⒤⒩⒢ Echo LovetteXXXXXXXXXXPre fect
Yeah, it's pretty clear, I ain't no size two
But I can shake it, shake it
Like I'm supposed to do

Tanya actually was looking forward to Alchemy since it was one of her favorites. Despite who was in it. She took a seat in the front and tried not to stare too much at Professor Amorocho as he began to lecture about the humble beginnings of Alchemy. She was actually surprised by how the arts began among wizard kind seeing as most witches and wizards didn't believe in any type of religion so knowing that this nearly counted was astonishing. Annnnnd then League had to ruin it like how a dentist visit ruined Halloween. She usually kept her mouth shut in classes with David to avoid getting into it with the stubborn Ravenclaw (and so she wouldn't be more tempted than she usually was to pop him one in the mouth) but this time she felt the need to step up. "It's not just the knowledge that creates the peace, it's the fact that people would care more about than say how much gold you have in your Gringotts vault. Because material possessions wouldn't matter, merely the pursuit of knowledge and the joy of knowing that you don't know all that there is to know. That, I think is what they were striving for." she answered surprisingly quiet but firm.

mc2

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But every inch of you is perfect cause true booty comes from within
I'm all about that bass 'bout that bass No treble
I'm all about that bass 'bout that bass No treble

UniformWhere: Alchemy ClassroomWith: ClassThinking: ~OOC:

Fifth Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]