Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark
Arc 1 - Beast of a Thousand Knives (Completed) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 42 43 44 45 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:32 pm
"With all due respect, anyone who waves a treant at me within a minute of meeting them without me brandishing my weapon at them first will always be mentally cataloged as 'short-tempered'."

After a few minutes more of exposition, he would say after Mr. Redford finished, "I can make no apology in good conscience. I really could use a bath."

He would smile slightly when Kuori introduced herself after her brief stint in... Dwarven, it sounded like?... though when Thava did introduce herself, adding in a bit she had conveniently left out, he would shoot her a look - it almost could be considered a dirty look, but it was more shocked than anything.

Suddenly, something dawned on Revenge, about what Mr. Redford had said. He would reflect about the part about how this is best handled by those who had no relation to the town... why was that so?

Quote:
Insight of 13. Feh, this will probably be best figured out later, I presume...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:47 pm
Mr. Redford
User Image

Mr. Redford would stand up to receive Kuori's handshake. Though his build was heavier than hers, he still did not match her height. "Greetings Kuori. My father was a decendent of the Skywatcher tribe. I have heard of your people before, but I must say you are the first Lightlost I have ever met in person."

Mr. Redford would then nod at Thava. He did not seem taken aback by her appearance like most of the other townsfolk here. "A psion you say? I can't say I've ever met one of those before either. You are definitely a colorful group of individuals. Such diversity will no doubt prove to be an asset."

Mr. Redford would raise an eyebrow at Revenge's explanation for what happened at the gate. "Really, now? I feel there is more to this story that I'm not hearing. I'll have to ask Poa about this later." He would then laugh at Revenge's second comment. "Fair enough! So, I've explained about everything we've learned so far about these incidents. I'm afraid it's not much. Are there any other questions you would like to ask of me?"  

Kowsauni
Crew

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:20 pm
Kuori looked down at Revenge. "You enjoy your shower Revenge, meanwhile I think that I want to check out the crimescene and see these marks. I am working on a theory and these marks are the missing piece of the puzzle."  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:59 pm
Revenge glanced at Kuori, not responding, but as if thinking.

He decided to not ask the question that was bothering him the most, but instead, the runner-up.

"Why haven't you confronted Poa about this yet? The animals are disappearing near the forest line, and you have a dryad, a being of the forest who, by our witness, has the capacity to animate the forest. Let's put aside the fact that it didn't start up until only recently - I think that's something that we're just going to have to uncover on our own - you can't ignore the fact that her mere presence makes her a suspect. The phrase she used when she met us, is that she was 'tasked with keeping the riffraff out'. So why has she been unable to prevent this Thousand Knife beast? I'm no marshal, but that rings heavily of collusion, if not outright guilt."

His expression through this was a steely, unforgiving one, but it would soon soften. "I'm sure you want to see the best in her, but idealism is a price your citizens may not be able to afford for much longer, sir."  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:20 pm
Mr. Redford
User Image

With a sigh Mr. Redford sits back down in his chair, which groans loudly as it takes his weight again. "Perhaps a history lesson is needed after all. Two hundred years ago, this land was all part of the Tapana woods. It was nothing more then wild, unclaimed forest, untamable by any group of men. Even elves did not dare tread here. Yet, so desperate were a group of refugees to escape the war that was ravaging the surrounding lands, they chose to try and take refuge in this forsaken place. In fact, my great, great, great, grandfather was the leader of these people.

"Upon their arrival, he was approached by a dryad who was moved by their plight and promised to protect his people from the forest and the kingdoms of men. My ancestor gratefully accepted her generosity. However, by doing this, the dryad earned the enmity of the forest. The very trees she once protected lifted up their roots and abandoned her. She lost everything she once knew and held meaning in her life, yet never once did she sway from her promise. To this very day she continues to look after and protect those people as if they were her very own children, and that is how the town of Lupa, independent from every other nation, continues to exist. Without Poa, there would be no Lupa."

Mr. Redford lets out another sigh after his lengthy explanation. He then continues, "No, I believe, if anything, this has something to with the laws that govern our relationship with the Tapana Woods. Through Poa, an agreement was struck that as long as we do not harm the forest or its denizens, they will not harm us. This agreement is more complex than it sounds and it contains some caveats. For example our hunters are allowed to hunt game for sustenance and and villagers to pick berries from the wild bushes in the forest. Wild creatures from the forest are allowed to graze on our lands and steal apples from our orchards--things of that nature.

"However, poaching livestock from ranchers and farmers is right on the line of violating this agreement. If these disappearances are truly the work of a creature of the forest pushing the grey areas of this contract, then it would be best if it was handled by outsiders who are not governed by laws held between us and the forest. If Poa went after it herself, without first conducting lengthy negations with the forest, the agreement could be destroyed. Hence why you now stand before me investigating this matter."

Onlin3 Gam3r rolled 3 20-sided dice: 1, 20, 7 Total: 28 (3-60)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:46 pm
Diplomacy: Nat 1 fail
Perception: Nat 20 Pass
Diplomacy: 7+11=18

Thava nodded as he went through the story, noting a few details that had been left out as well as some new ones. She put a hand on Revenge's shoulder and said, "I think that the heat of your armor is going to your head. Why don't you let me take it from here before Mr Redford summons treants to attack us as well." She smiled at her joke, "Mr. Redford ..." She searched the room for a first name. "Is there ANYTHING," she let the word dangle a bit before continuing, "that you can think of that may help with our investigation. A copy of the contract, details about your relatives relation with Poa," she added in a hushed tone, "We have heard the rumors," she returned to normal volume, "If it is the forrest attacking, or the beast within it, and it is over some contract breach or miscommunication, diplomacy may be an answer here."  

Onlin3 Gam3r

Dapper Noob

2,675 Points
  • Married 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Member 100

Alzzak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:39 am
"Wolves come in all sizes, some in sheep's skins" Adrik would return Kuori's dwarven comment with his own, in the same tongue.

"Rumors are for idle folk with too much time on their hands; often only holding a shred of a truth, then flung about by a zelous half wit. Who makes 'em out bigger than it should be." He spoke as he stretched his shoulder that carried his shield. "Stay long enough, and a few will form around you." He would pause for a moment, as to let his arm rest and him to look over the lot before him.

"Any thing is possible, maybe it is the work of something not from the forest, who found away though the forest in to the town with out drawing Poa's attention. Or someone from the town, wanting us and the forest to go to battle. At the moment, anything could be possible. Though, why you are focusing your attention on the past is beyond me."  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:33 pm
Mr. Redford
User Image

As Thava looks around the room, she would see there were a lot of cabinets piled with books and records. The office itself was actually quite cluttered however, she would see nothing with Mr. Redford's name on it until she chanced a look at his desk. There, on top of a stack of papers, was a document with the signature Nathanial Redford.

Mr. Redford did not laugh at Thava's joke and he raised his eyebrow at the question about his relative's relations with Poa. He seemed to understand what she was getting at, but she stated it delicately enough to not make him angry. He would simply respond, "That would be a question for my great-great-great-grandpappy, but he isn't around anymore to answer it, and I don't understand what that has anything to do with anything. As for our contracts with Tapana Woods, they're all ancient and verbal in nature. I don't know if you've ever tried to get a tree to sign a piece of paper, but it doesn't work out too well.

"Diplomacy would be a nice option to take, but as Adrik just stated, we don't know know what the root cause of all this is. Until we can figure out what's going on, we have no way of tackling the issue. However, if it does have something to do with Tapana Woods, it could put us in a tricky diplomatic situation. That's why we sent out a request for outside help to investigate this matter. Now, I've already told you everything I know. The best lead I can give you is to go investigate with Adrik about what happened at the Hopkins's ranch last night. Since the incident was just reported to us this morning, we haven't had a chance to look into it yet."

Kowsauni
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:59 pm
(Ha, now his demeanor matches the picture's perfectly.)

"I understand," Revenge would respond to Redford after a few moments if no one else did. "I'm not confident about what we'll actually be able to uncover, but only time will tell."

The Tiefling would turn to face Adrik, and simply ask him, "What do you need of us?"  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:30 pm
"I will only ask; you follow two rules. Unless if I say other wise; while you are in the town Keep your weapons, powers, and spells shealthed, or held in a non-threatening manner. Mind your manners and treat the townsfolk better than you would kin. If you can hold these simple rules." Adrik paused and gave a bow to Redford, before continuing out the door. "Then follow me."

(I would have sworn I posted this four times already)  

Alzzak

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:03 pm
Revenge's heart would sink for the bath that was not meant to be. He would nod to Redford, before leaving out the door. He would sheath his longsword then pick up his halberd, pausing slightly.

"Mister Adrik, how much time would you permit me before you carry on with this investigation? I have paid for a room at the inn already, but have not yet had the opportunity to visit it. I would be content leaving my armor and primary weapon there, though it would take me a few minutes. It might help with my public image. Since it's still daylight, I should have no need for them."

He would give a sideways glance towards Kuori and Thava, whom he traveled here with, and then add in a "... right?"  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:47 pm
Kuori looked down at the tiefling. "I've got on boots, a cloak, a quiver, a bow, and a patchwork hide dress of armor. Nothing else. No change of clothes, and this bow is my livelihood. I'm not about to traipse around here naked and weaponless in a strange city." She looked at Redford and said, "Strange in the unfamiliar sense." She turned back to Revenge, "Buck up. We are warriors, what good are we if we find the beast's trail and have to run back to town to grab your gear? By the time we would get back the trail would be cold."  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

I Drink Blue Moon

Tricky Treater

10,875 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:01 pm
Glloom smiled beneath his armor and said, "While I have a change of clothes, what lies beneath this armor may be more disturbing to the populace than what you see now, though probably no more disturbing than the devil-spawn." He laughed a deep, throaty laugh and said, "Unfortunately racism comes down upon our kind, at least you can claim that it wasn't your doing. I on the other hand ... I dealt in powers that shouldn't be trifled with and drew a bad hand. I'd rather not get a dirty look or a knife in the gut because of what I did some hundred years ago." With that he headed out of the office.  
Onlin3 Gam3r rolled 1 20-sided dice: 6 Total: 6 (1-20)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:43 pm
(6+11 Diplomacy versus Revenge.)

"Sadly, I believe that the damage is done Revenge. Kuori is correct in that we need to stay at the ready in case our findings turn up something. If the beast is nocturnal we may be better off to fight it in daylight."  

Onlin3 Gam3r

Dapper Noob

2,675 Points
  • Married 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Member 100

Alzzak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:41 am
Adrik listened to the others as he continued on his way. Personally, he wouldn't be caught dead without his shield close by, day or night. But, he could understand the logic of appearances.

"Shield of Sehanine, If you think your weapons would prove more useful in a room. Then by all means place them there. If you wish to wash up, to much the same." He stopped then looked up at Revenge.

"If you continue on this path, you will come accrossed split in the road and a small log hut with an lumbermen's axe by the door. Make a left there and you will see the Hopkin's ranch. I will give you about an hour, before I will send the best warrior I have trained, after you. With orders to drag you by your horns to that ranch, no matter how you are dressed."  
[D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 42 43 44 45 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff