Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply First Year Classes
Transfiguration I (1/5) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:59 am
On The Board:

Basics of Transfiguration

What is Transfiguration?
    Transfiguration is, at it's most basic, transforming one object into another. This is usually accomplished by magical means. However, it is not simply changing something's appearance into something else's, it is actually changing the very item into the its intended target. This very act changes its structure even down to the molecular level, so that when you transfigure a bird into a cup, you are taking that bird and turning it into a cup on an atomic level.

What kinds of Transfiguration are there?
    There are actually four different branches of Transfiguration: Transformation, Vanishment, Conjuration, and Untransfiguration. All four of these branches of transfiguration you work with if you wish to master this branch of magic, but you may not see all four during your course of study at Hogwarts.

What is Transformation?
    Transformation is at its core turning one object into another. This is the most basic form of transfiguration. There are three different subcategories of transformation known as Human Transfiguration, Switching, and Trans-Species. Human transfiguration however is the most difficult form of Transformation.

What is Vanishment?
    Vanishment is the act of taking an object and willing it out of existence. The Vanished item will simply cease to be, and instead you will have nothing. As such, this is the most difficult form of transfiguration you will probably encounter on your OWLs.

What is Conjuration?
    Conjuration is the act of bringing things into existence. This is much harder to do than simply willing something to appear. This area of Transfiguration you will learn about in your NEWT-level class should you get that far.

What is Untransfiguration?
    Untransfiguration is the act of reversing a transfiguration. The branch is considered both Transfiguration as well as a counter-spell. This branch is generally the very first one encountered when you are learning the subject of Transfiguration

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:01 am
User Image
                                                I had a dream the other night
                                                About how we only get one life
                                                Woke me up right after two
                                                Stayed awake and stared at you
                                                So I wouldn't lose my mind

User Image

════════════════════════

Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Aʟᴜᴍɴɪ || Tʀᴀɴsғɪɢᴜʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Pᴏᴛɪᴏɴᴇᴇʀ

════════════════════════

Rick leaned against the desk as he waited for students to file in. He vaguely wondered sometimes if he ever looked as small as the first years in this class, but dismissed this idea and instead decided to focus instead on the class at hand. When the students all filed into the classroom, he checked the time and closed the door with a flick of his wand before turning to address the first years. "Hello, and welcome to Transfiguration. I'm your professor Richard Drage. For those of you wondering if there is going to be some form of spellcasting right off the bat in this class, that would be a yes, and a no. Yes, because you will be casting spells in this lesson, and no, since there will only be one spell you will learn today. However, this spell is probably the most important one you will learn in your entire study of the subject, so that would be why it is the very first one you learn about today."

He turned to the board and gestured to it, already well aware of the brief overview written upon it. "Transfiguration, by its very nature, is one of the most, if not the most, difficult disciplines of magic there is. We are taking an object and changing it fundamentally at the molecular level. This in itself makes the practice at once dangerous as well as complex, however is probably one of the very rewarding branches of magic there is in my opinion. After all, you can look at something you've transfigured and know that you've managed to succeed or fail, and by itself is a very rewarding feeling." He then turned back to the board and wrote something underneath his notes and pointed it out for people to see.

Professor Drage
                                                User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"This, by the way, is one of the reasons why transfiguration is so difficult. Yes, it is a mathematical equation, one that is applied every time you try and cast a transfiguration spell. Can anyone enlighten me as to why that is?" He crossed his arms and waited, taking a deep breath and hoping he hadn't confused the heck out of the first years yet. It would be his luck, wouldn't it? To be the first professor in Hogwarts history to basically make a mess of his first lesson and the students learned nothing? He hoped not.

════════════════════════
                                                Thinking: Here's to first impressions being good...
                                                OOC:

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

And I had the week that came from hell
                                                And yes I know that you could tell
                                                But you're like the net under the ledge
                                                When I go flying off the edge
                                                You go flying off as well

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:08 pm
User Image_________________

User Image

Roman was still full from lunch when he stumbled down the corridor and finally found the Transfigurations classroom. Rows of desks faced the front of the room where the scribbling of the professor could be found on a chalkboard. He copied down all of the notes only to discover he now knows less than he did when he started. While waiting for his classmates to show up, he flicked through his textbook. Not long after, the lecturing began and the redheaded man introduced himself as Professor Richard Drage. Then he rambled on about magic and Roman struggled with his feathered quill trying to keep up. If Roman could say he learned anything in magic school, it would be that he is terrible at writing with a quill.

∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷
WHEN:: Thursday, 2:00 – 2:45pm
WHERE:: Transfigurations Class
WITH WHO:: First Years'

∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:56 pm
User Image
I don't have time for dancin'
That's just gonna have to wait a while
Ain't got time for messin' around
And it's not my style...

Calliandra entered the classroom quietly, seeing the Gryffindor and verifying he was the only one present. She read over the rules, and seeing that this was another class where her wand should always be out, she set it on the desk in front of her before copying the notes on the board. Just as she finished writing, the professor started speaking. She glanced up before settling back into writing notes, this time based on the lecture.

She continued until Professor Drage wrote a formula on the board. Calliandra didn't bother the equation, instead just noting that he had written down the math behind Transfiguration. She waited patiently until the professor finished speaking, then she raised her hand.

"This equation shows if your transfiguration will work. In order for t - the end result of your transfiguration - to work, you have to meet all the other requirements. W is the power your wand needs to have, and c is how much concentration you need to use. V is the viciousness of intent you need, while a shows the requirements of your weight - you have to be heavier than what you are transfiguring. Z is how well you actually say the incantation. If anything doesn't meet the requirements of the spell, then it won't work." Calliandra fell silent, looking down at her, admittedly sparse, notes. She starting filling in more details, waiting for the professor to comment. She hoped that eventually she would stop feeling so nervous every time she answered a question. She would be right, because she had read all this. She wasn't going to make a fool of herself.

And I'm almost there
I'm almost there
People down here think I'm crazy
But I don't care...

OOC: Say anything.
Company: First years
Wearing: School Robes
Thinking:I hope that was the right answer!

Caedmon68

Professor Foxtrot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:02 pm
User Image
Andy O'Farrell

first year // ravenclaw // muggle-born // gender-fluid

Admittedly, Andy was surprised by how much information was written on the board in this class. Before writing any of it down, they sat and took a minute to read it over, nodding their head quietly as the gears in their brain started working. It didn't seem like too difficult of a concept.. but it was definitely more complicated than anything else they had learned so far. Andy couldn't help but grin slightly at the challenge.

Looking at the equation, Andy's eyebrows furrowed in concentration. They had learned a little of algebra in the muggle school they had attended, but this... it was all variables that Andy didn't understand. They were almost relieved when the other girl started explaining it, so that Andy could take fervent notes on the subject. Yeah... definitely complicated.

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:13 am
User ImageUser Image

《《《《 Gonna ride the world like a merry-go-round 》》》》
《《《《 Like a Ferris wheel that's breaking down 》》》》
《《《《 Drinking angel's piss, gonna crash and burn 》》》》
《《《《 I just want some action so gimme my turn 》》》》

And Charlie was late. Those stupid staircases! He needed to start leaving early. "Sorry that I'm late Sir." Charlie said having vain hope he wasn't actually late. He quickly sat in an available seat and started the catch up on notes. He wrote the formula down hoping it wasn't too hard math. He half wondered why he didn't get that self-writing quill when he was school shopping

《《《《Like a Chinese drama and conspiracy》》》》
《《《《It's the death of a nuclear family staring up at you》》》》
《《《《It's looking like another bad comedy》》》》
《《《《Just as long as it comes in high-fidelity for me too》》》》

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100

BunnyCheeks1114

OG OTP

2,325 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Fishing is Love 25
  • Lovingly Advice 25
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:24 pm
User ImageUser Image
Anastasia raced through the halls. Of course this class would be the one she is almost late for. She has had no trouble with the staircases until this point. Who would've guessed? Huffing and puffing she weaved her way in and out of the traffic of students, saying very quick and sharp pardons for her spastic nature at the moment. She had only a few moments remaining before she would be technically late. Once she had entered the classroom, she felt relieved that she wasn't the only one having issues today. A fellow Hufflepuff looked to have just walked in around the same time. Sighing and beginning the process of catching her breath, she smoothed out her hair and outfit before grabbing one of the few remaining seats left. It was regrettably towards the back of the class, which is normally not her favorite place to sit, but beggars can't be choosers.

Placing her bag calmly down on the floor below her, she removed her necessary items from it and placed them neatly on her desk before she began jotting down what was on the bored. The equation threw her for a bit of a loop. She guess it could have something to do with each part of casting a perfect transfiguration spell, but she didn't quite know which part went where. Of course, her question buddy Calliandra was there to pick up the ball. Essentially, it was just a fancy way, or an unnecessary way in Ana's book, she explain what goes in to casting a transfiguration spell. She rolled her eyes internally at how extra it really was to make a simple question into a complicated math problem. Yes, she gets the point of the spells being complex and the need to be precise. Then just say that!

&&BLOOD :: Pureiiii&&HOUSE :: Hufflepuffiiii&&YEAR :: Firstiiii&&LOCATION :: Transfigurationiiii
                                      &&COMPANY :: Studentsiiii&&MOOD :: Intriguediiii&&OUTFIT ::B&Y

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:24 am
User Image
Gertrude Laura Adelwood
Adopted Muggleborn
First Year Hufflepuff

I go by Gertie...
Oh and I'm 11 years old...

Gertie was hopelessly turned around. It was Thursday afternoon and she was supposed to be in Transfigurations right now. But instead she was aimlessly wandering around one hundred percent lost. She’d been fine all week until then. It was beginning to frustrate her to the point of wanting to cry. The Hufflepuff wouldn’t allow herself to do so. ‘Mum wouldn’t want you to cry.’ She’d told herself as she continued down the hall.

“Hey you okay?”

Gertie looked up from the ground at an older Hufflepuff student. “I’m lost…” She told the girl. “Maybe I can help. I’m Emma. Where are you trying to get to?” She asked the young girl. “I’m Gertie. I can’t find my transfigurations class.” Gertie looked up at the white haired girl with what looked like worry in her eyes. “Don’t worry Gertie. I’ll get you to class.” She told her. “Really!” She replied brightly, her eyes lighting up at the older girl’s words. Emma nodded before leading the way to her class.

“Here you are, just remember to get off on the right floor next time.” Emma told her with a smile.

“Thank you, I will.” Gertie replied before walking into the classroom.

“Sorry Professor… I got lost…” Gertie said sheepishly. “It won’t happen again I promise.” She said taking a seat. Quickly taking out her stuff, the young Hufflepuff got to work taking the notes on the board as quickly as she could. She needed to catch up not to mention figure out what was going on. Like why was there a formula on the board?

Wearing: Hufflepuff Uniform

With: Class...

OOC: Well that was fun, Emma got a cameo appearance whee

User Image

No one's doubting your brains or creativity
But it's your heart I'm interested in
Ravenclaw's nice, but I believe you'll flourish best in
Hufflepuff!

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:01 am
You fall through the trees,
And you pray with your knees on the ground.
For the things that you need...
With your lust and your greed weighing down.
And you weaken your love,
And you hold it above your head.
Success is a song of the heart, not a song of your bed!

User Image
D O N E L L A
O L W E N
B R O W N

hufflepuff │ first year │ halfblood

Donella found Transfiguration extremely confusing, but was determined to try her best regardless, taking neat, careful notes. She could only imagine how anyone muggleborn felt, writing down these formulas, and now understood why her mother had insisted on her learning the order of operations in mathematics before she left for Hogwarts. Still, she doubted this would ever be her favorite class. With a small sigh, she kept on staring intensely at her writing, as if that would somehow help her. Did anyone understand this?

OOC:
Username

And we all still die, yeah, we all still die-
What will you leave behind, oh, we all still die...
Marching away from the stream;
This tree, it will die without leaves.
This tree, it will die, this tree, it will die.
And we all still die, yeah, we all still die-
What will you leave behind, oh, we all still die...

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:59 pm
~ New Year ~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:02 pm
On The Board:

Basics of Transfiguration

What is Transfiguration?
    Transfiguration is, at it's most basic, transforming one object into another. This is usually accomplished by magical means. However, it is not simply changing something's appearance into something else's, it is actually changing the very item into the its intended target. This very act changes its structure even down to the molecular level, so that when you transfigure a bird into a cup, you are taking that bird and turning it into a cup on an atomic level.

What kinds of Transfiguration are there?
    There are actually four different branches of Transfiguration: Transformation, Vanishment, Conjuration, and Untransfiguration. All four of these branches of transfiguration you work with if you wish to master this branch of magic, but you may not see all four during your course of study at Hogwarts.

What is Transformation?
    Transformation is at its core turning one object into another. This is the most basic form of transfiguration. There are three different subcategories of transformation known as Human Transfiguration, Switching, and Trans-Species. Human transfiguration however is the most difficult form of Transformation.

What is Vanishment?
    Vanishment is the act of taking an object and willing it out of existence. The Vanished item will simply cease to be, and instead you will have nothing. As such, this is the most difficult form of transfiguration you will probably encounter on your OWLs.

What is Conjuration?
    Conjuration is the act of bringing things into existence. This is much harder to do than simply willing something to appear. This area of Transfiguration you will learn about in your NEWT-level class should you get that far.

What is Untransfiguration?
    Untransfiguration is the act of reversing a transfiguration. The branch is considered both Transfiguration as well as a counter-spell. This branch is generally the very first one encountered when you are learning the subject of Transfiguration

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:04 pm
User Image
                                                I had a dream the other night
                                                About how we only get one life
                                                Woke me up right after two
                                                Stayed awake and stared at you
                                                So I wouldn't lose my mind

User Image

════════════════════════

Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Aʟᴜᴍɴɪ || Tʀᴀɴsғɪɢᴜʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Pᴏᴛɪᴏɴᴇᴇʀ

════════════════════════

Rick leaned against the desk as he waited for students to file in. He vaguely wondered sometimes if he ever looked as small as the first years in this class, but dismissed this idea and instead decided to focus instead on the class at hand. When the students all filed into the classroom, he checked the time and closed the door with a flick of his wand before turning to address the first years. "Hello, and welcome to Transfiguration. I'm your professor Richard Drage. For those of you wondering if there is going to be some form of spellcasting right off the bat in this class, that would be a yes, and a no. Yes, because you will be casting spells in this lesson, and no, since there will only be one spell you will learn today. However, this spell is probably the most important one you will learn in your entire study of the subject, so that would be why it is the very first one you learn about today."

He turned to the board and gestured to it, already well aware of the brief overview written upon it. "Transfiguration, by its very nature, is one of the most, if not the most, difficult disciplines of magic there is. We are taking an object and changing it fundamentally at the molecular level. This in itself makes the practice at once dangerous as well as complex, however is probably one of the very rewarding branches of magic there is in my opinion. After all, you can look at something you've transfigured and know that you've managed to succeed or fail, and by itself is a very rewarding feeling." He then turned back to the board and wrote something underneath his notes and pointed it out for people to see.

Professor Drage
                                                User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"This, by the way, is one of the reasons why transfiguration is so difficult. Yes, it is a mathematical equation, one that is applied every time you try and cast a transfiguration spell. Can anyone enlighten me as to why that is?" He crossed his arms and waited, taking a deep breath and hoping he hadn't confused the heck out of the first years yet. It would be his luck, wouldn't it? To be the first professor in Hogwarts history to basically make a mess of his first lesson and the students learned nothing? He hoped not.

════════════════════════
                                                Thinking: Here's to first impressions being good...
                                                OOC:

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

And I had the week that came from hell
                                                And yes I know that you could tell
                                                But you're like the net under the ledge
                                                When I go flying off the edge
                                                You go flying off as well

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:07 am
User Image
Rhett Fang Ye
<1st year>

Rhett had been warned Transfiguration was a hard subject and took a lot of work to learn but he figured he would try to keep an open mind when he came to class. He took a seat near front and took out quill, ink, and parchment to take notes as it looked to be a lot of it. Ugh! He began taking notes and when it came to the equation frowned. Why hadn't he paid more attention to math! Wasn't magic more of learning the incantations and just doing what felt right? Though he supposed Professor Drage was right about difficulty and complexity and all that.

When asked about why math a part of Rhett wanted to go, 'Yeah, why?!' but the more practical side of him sighed and raised a hand and ventured a real guess, "You said transfiguration is exact and math is exact so they go hand in hand, right? Like if you get one thing out of wonk then the whole spell screws up for transfiguration so that is why there is all that math to make sure things are precise." He wondered if every transfiguration spell he would have to do a math equation first, if so he was pretty sure he wouldn't like this class much. The idea made his head hurt.

Time: 2036-2037
                  Looking: Ready for Adventure

Hello, then, Rhett
                  Hm, adventurous and reckless,
                  And you like pranks and can't sit still
                  Yes, I know just where to place you

Gryffindor!

{OoC: }
                  Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:45 am
User Image

ᵂⁱˢʰ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ʸᵒᵘ ᶜᵒᵘˡᵈ ᵇᵘⁱˡᵈ ᵃ ᵗⁱᵐᵉ ᵐᵃᶜʰⁱⁿᵉ
                                    ˢᵒ ʸᵒᵘ ᶜᵒᵘˡᵈ ˢᵉᵉ
                                    ᵀʰᵉ ᵗʰⁱⁿᵍˢ ⁿᵒ ᵒⁿᵉ ᶜᵃⁿ ˢᵉᵉ
                                    ᶠᵉᵉˡˢ ˡⁱᵏᵉ ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ˢᵗᵃⁿᵈⁱⁿᵍ ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ᵉᵈᵍᵉ
                                    ᴸᵒᵒᵏⁱⁿᵍ ᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉ ˢᵗᵃʳˢ
                                    ᴬⁿᵈ ʷⁱˢʰⁱⁿᵍ ʸᵒᵘ ʷᵉʳᵉ ᵗʰᵉᵐ

Ferdie Arrived to class and found his seat. he was saddened to see the math on the board, it was never his strong suit. Besides, where are the numbers? He was trying to figure out the equation so hard he missed the teachers question entirely. How was math going to help them with this class? He hoped it be explained for him, he was so confused

ᴵᵗ'ˢ ⁿᵒᵗ ᵒᵛᵉʳ 'ᵗⁱˡ ⁱᵗ'ˢ ᵃˡˡ ᵇᵉᵉⁿ ˢᵃⁱᵈ‬
                                                                      ‪ᴵᵗ'ˢ ⁿᵒᵗ ᵒᵛᵉʳ 'ᵗⁱˡ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᵈʸⁱⁿᵍ ᵇʳᵉᵃᵗʰ‬
                                                                      ‪ˢᵒ ʷʰᵃᵗ ᵈᵒ ʸᵒᵘ ʷᵃⁿᵗ ᵗʰᵉᵐ ᵗᵒ ˢᵃʸ ʷʰᵉⁿ ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵍᵒⁿᵉ?‬
                                                                      ‪ᵀʰᵃᵗ ʸᵒᵘ ᵍᵃᵛᵉ ᵘᵖ ᵒʳ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ʸᵒᵘ ᵏᵉᵖᵗ ᵍᵒⁱⁿᵍ ᵒⁿ?

username

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:47 pm
User Image
Faina Patrovna-Harcroft
SlytherinFirst YearEleven Years OldSingle

Transfiguration was one of the toughest subjects in the school, and Faina wasn't all that sure she felt particularly comfortable with it. Charms she found easy enough once she understood what was going on, and she found the text for this class to be rather more difficult. Still, she was determined to do well in this class. She smiled when she saw Rhett, and sat beside her friend, which she knew would make things go a bit better for her. "Because with Transfiguration one is imposing their will upon a subject and forcing it to become something else entirely," offered the young Slytherin, after raising her hand, and having answered a similar question in Charms class. "It's not like Charms where you're changing how it works or its condition, like changing the colour, but what it actually is, like wood into metal or man becoming a rose bush."

OOC:
Username

User Image
                  "You're lost little girl, you're lost little girl
                  You're lost, tell me who are you?"

"I think that you know what to do
                  Impossible? Yes, but it's true
                  I think that you know what to do, yeah
                  I'm sure that you know what to do "

First Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items