Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Introduction Threads
Survived the 30's - 70's...? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When were you born?
1930's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1940's
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
1950's
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
1960's
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
1970's
64%
 64%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 51

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:00 pm
Lol ~ check out Ceymore's Council of the Revered Elders thread... I'm in kindercare for being such a youngin... at 37 eek  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:53 am
Hmmmm.... Children.  

I Ceymore Ratz
Crew

Revered Prophet

6,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Copper Forrest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:20 pm
IrishDanceMum
Tag! Whatever happend to double dutch? Or simply playing jump rope?

Anyone else like me who grew up in the north country and remember the twilight lasting til 10pm in the summer? Once in a long while we even got to see the Northern Lights. Our local fire dept would come out and turn the front field at our school into an outdoor skating rink. I remember our first color tv, first air conditioner and first microwave, too. I was already grown and on my own by the time my folks got their first computer.
Gotta love it!

Yeah, I grew up in Chicago. Never caught the northern lights, but summer nights, oh so enchanting. Fire hydrants were a blast in the summer too. I was on my own and got my own microwave, but I fondly remember the old black and white - there were 5 of us kids and i'm pretty sure my dad had each one of us to ensure he could change the channel/move the rabbit ears/turn up the volume/tune the UHF channel in better - without getting up. (It was the remote control that signaled the demise of large families.)

fun stuff!  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:36 pm
I was born in 1978 and enjoyed many a recess on metal barred deathtrap jungle gyms and survived. I had a set of roller skates that had four wheels NOT in a straight line. I made forts out of tree branches and played "Little House on the Prairie". I had a metal Holly Hobby lunchbox that could have taken out another kid if I had chosen to do so. I remember our first vcr being a MAJOR purchase, not a $20 antiquated device sold in every store in town. I remember betamax, jumpman video games, actually READING books for fun, and playing pretend (instead of having someone else do all the pretending for me). Here's to a simpler time in our lives. I want warm milk and graham crackers now, durnit. heart  

MoonlightJayde

wtf its kae

IRL Cupcake

22,675 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:20 am
    it's harder to say these things when you were born where i was in the mid to late 70s...
    i was born in 74, and i remember having a home computer (no, not in the 70s, but as soon as they were available to the general public), upon which i played video games. i usually preferred to read a book than to go out and play in my neighborhood, where there were people getting shot left and right, and getting into fights over what sneakers they wore to school that day.

i guess if you grew up in the kind of neighborhood where you could leave your door open or whatever, but a lot of these things are alien to me.

sorry that i can't relate.

i do remember things being different, though, since my mom bought our three-family, and everyone else we knew having to rent their apartments.

meh. i was a lonely kid, though.

and in case you're wondering what kind of city i was in, it's just good ol' Boston, MA. our block is the neighborhood they don't tell you about. there are expensive hotels right across the street from the jail (they don't tell you that either), and there are costly apartments ($1500 a month or more) right across the street from the housing projects. rofl

so yeah. viva la 70s. i guess.

User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:52 am
I think these were from the early 80's, but does anyone remember Peanut Butter Boppers??? I loved them... and when ever I watch Lost Boys I wish I could have one again... Grandpa kept them in the fridge in the movie

I also miss a snack that I do not remember the name, but they were crispy chips in a log shape with cheese in the middle. You can find similar things today with pretzels, or crackers, but these were chips and were very good.  

Lil-Jo
Crew

jellysundae

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:13 pm
MoonlightJayde
and playing pretend (instead of having someone else do all the pretending for me

Bravo!
my sentiments exactly.

i thoroughly disapprove of the electronic games that give children no need to exercise their brain power, and to demand entertain from others...I'M BORED! rolleyes because they have no idea how to play without a ton of gadgets and gizmos.

one of my favourite past-times as a kid was to make tents and hidey holes, from things like the clothes airer and an old sheet blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:55 am
Those days were great!!! Now I worry every time my kids go out of the darn yard. Sighs  

BlackRoseBleeding

Toxic Kitten

Old Fang

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:44 am
I wish we could find where we posted in the guild. I think I posted in this topic before but my memory isn't very good. I'm 53, my son is in gaia at 19 and my mom is now in this guild and she is 79. We are 3 generational Gaia.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:55 am
Glad you're here. Glad your mom's here, too. 3nodding  

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

Alleira

Aged Citizen

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:22 am
jellysundae
one of my favourite past-times as a kid was to make tents and hidey holes, from things like the clothes airer and an old sheet blaugh

That brings back memories - I did that a lot. Then I'd disappear under my creation for hours on end, reading or drawing. I was a bit of a solitary kid. xd

Old Fang
I'm 53, my son is in gaia at 19 and my mom is now in this guild and she is 79. We are 3 generational Gaia.

That's really cool. Welcome to all of you. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:36 pm
Fang i agree! you can find your last posts in the forums, i've always thought you should be able to do that within the guilds too, you'd be far less likely to miss things then 3nodding  

jellysundae

sisu1969

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:01 pm
BlackRoseBleeding
Those days were great!!! Now I worry every time my kids go out of the darn yard. Sighs

BlackRoseBleeding

I have to agree with you there. I worry about my kids too. They ask if they can walk around the block and I am like, "NO!" Then my hubby usually steps in and tells me it's ok. (I was raised in the country and have a hard time adjusting to city life)

When I was growing up I rode horses for hours on end on our 40 acre farm, got into trouble throwing alfalfa into a passing car and played outside until dark and beyond in the summer.

*sigh* I wish my kids had that.

If I hear my step daughter say one more time that she is "bored" I am gonna scream. scream  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:58 pm
do it Sisu!!

the eek expression that it will net from your step-daughter will make it all worthwhile 3nodding

i agree though, they sit they like a sack of spuds expecting entertainment.
which seems to mean you giving them money, so they can go'hangout' which seems to mean'do nothing' with their mates confused  

Poppetta

sisu1969

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:55 am
We are wading up to our necks in games here. My kids had tons of them when my Hubby and I got married. And the kids (at least the oldest four) have, for the past 3 years been getting at LEAST 1 game a piece on Christmas and birthdays. That's ALOT of games! But do you think they ever play them?? HELL NO!
They all got hover crafts one year for Christmas (they don't play with), we have a BA-ZILLION board games collecting dust in the closets (yes, that was plural, we have more than one closet full...5 closets full to be exact.)
They have every card game imaginable. And yet... if they aren't playing Nintendo or on the PC they are whining they are "bored".
I have decided that whenever I hear the word "bored" I am going to delegate out a job of some sort. And not a pleasant one at that... like cleaning toilets or folding laundry (I hate to fold.)
I have just HAD it.  
Introduction Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces