Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]
L5R - Jade Legacy OOC thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 134 135 136 137 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:35 pm
In what way?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:39 pm
PDFs are normally available a month before street date. There are several series of PDF exclusive products, the PDF price is a bit lower than the book.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:41 pm
Plainsfox
PDFs are normally available a month before street date. There are several series of PDF exclusive products, the PDF price is a bit lower than the book.

Well asking the same price for a non physical product over a physical one is kind of silly.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:58 pm
*nods* The only thing I've seen AEG put a significant discount on though is the old 1st E stuff.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:39 pm
@ Advantages/Disadvantages:

"If the GM wishes, Advantages may be purchased during play for a number of Experience Points equal to twice the listed Character Point cost."

I don't wish it. PbP games are slow enough, and if you want to keep sinking points into things which won't grant you insight, then by all means. By "any fashion of your choosing" for the tournament, that means advantages that are Inherent or Granted you can get, since they "haven't come up yet". Likewise, skills you will be purchasing the first rank for, or Kata you might want to know, or spells you'd rather be inherent.

Once the tournament is over, the 'any fashion of your choosing' will go away.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:59 pm
There goes my chance of getting the Ambidextrous advantage. Then again, not sure I need it. I probably do.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:08 pm
Ambidextrous isn't Inherent NOR Granted, so there's no reason you couldn't purchase it later.

Though trust me, unless you went out of your way to fight with two weapons, its not worth it; and even then, it does little besides just letting you wield two weapons at once.

Mirumoto Bushi, Yoritomo Bushi, and some Usagi Bushi get the greatest use out of it. Hogai USED TO have it for EXTREMENESS, but it mechanically didn't do him any good.

My Shosuro in my Monday night game is planning on using it, but she's planning on doing so with two war fans (armor bonus won't stack, but to fight with one and defend with the other). I think you mentioned focusing on War Fan in your off-hand, so it wouldn't be a bad idea in that regard.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:27 pm
Rain Yupa
Ambidextrous isn't Inherent NOR Granted, so there's no reason you couldn't purchase it later.

Though trust me, unless you went out of your way to fight with two weapons, its not worth it; and even then, it does little besides just letting you wield two weapons at once.

Mirumoto Bushi, Yoritomo Bushi, and some Usagi Bushi get the greatest use out of it. Hogai USED TO have it for EXTREMENESS, but it mechanically didn't do him any good.

My Shosuro in my Monday night game is planning on using it, but she's planning on doing so with two war fans (armor bonus won't stack, but to fight with one and defend with the other). I think you mentioned focusing on War Fan in your off-hand, so it wouldn't be a bad idea in that regard.
Yup, War Fan in offhand to make use of the small but still helpful armor bonus. I don't plan on using it to attack, but without Ambi, I get a penalty with my main hand attacks, IIRC, and with my persistent +5TN to attack granted by my missing eye, it could get problematic.

Also, I'm not going for a mechanically sound character, so much as rule of cool. I can pimp around with a Tessen and Katana/wakizachi and whatnot. I just thought the combination was unusual and I kinda want to work towards it.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:30 pm
I'm thinking about picking up war fans myself. They're a nice concealable weapon.

Also there's this cool story about how Nobunaga Oda tried to kill a rival warlord by having a door that would cut off his head when closed on him...but was thwarted when the man jabbed his tessen into the grooves.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:37 pm
It definitely is. Just note that you have to spend at least 3 points to get that +2 (1 rank + emphasis). To get more bonus, you have to get to rank 5, or 17 points, for a +7 bonus. 21 points with ambidextrous.

If you just spend 6 points (3 ranks) in Defense, that's a +6. 10 points (4 ranks) for a +8.

If you just want extra TN to be Hit, Defense is the way to go. The reason I'm focusing on it with my Shosuro is because it will be her primary attack skill as well.

However, it's kinda hard to overlook cool factor, isn't it?  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:45 pm
Seriously. Man, do I have a lot of options to spend experience on. I'm going to have to learn to prioritize.

I think Kojiro would pick up the War Fans skill just to have an easy to over look weapon  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:50 pm
Actually, since I got 2 exp points, I'm spending those on an Emphasis on armor, on my Defense skill, which would be a goo time to let you know razz but I think I'm still going down the Ambidextrous+ Warfan route. Me and Plainsfox can pimp our fans and be cool and awesome.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:11 pm
Post it in the actual thread to make it official :3

Brotessen... the Rokugani Brofist?

Also, if you ever get a chance to look at it, Toturi Bushi make good use of War Fans for their school rank abilities, and Toturi himself came from the Akodo. Food for thought.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:17 pm
Another thing in Four Winds? = It looks like I really have to get that now.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:22 pm
You know, Keith. The events are not being held simultaneously. You could have been watching the Shugenja matches and listening to the stories all along if you want to, just that Seichiro really had nothing to say until X moment and didn't really speak up, etc et al.  
[L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 134 135 136 137 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games