Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark
Arc 2 - Heart of a Monster (Completed) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 80 81 82 83 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:38 pm

Kuori hops on the wagon and says, "Bug chick named Illya, with a guy named Ruin, killed a few Arian's, but there are more ahead and they have Ying, Corsica, Fumiyo, and a few others. Revenge is ahead with Valac." She points ahead, "Pick up the pace and lets get there!"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:24 pm

"Mm... I don't want this one to be a problem later, but I'd rather not just coup-de-grace him, you know? Maybe if we hang his shackles from a branch..." Revenge would muse to Valac, when he saw the wagon come into view.

He would inwardly wince, since it would be bringing Abby and the others closer to danger, but it now gave them a solution as to what to do with the unconscious mage. Plus, Kuori was staying with them apparently and readying herself for the battle to come, so she'd be there if danger came looking for them. And if Kuori has proven herself at anything, it's killing people who oppose her.

"Valac, let's move. When we get there, you can take on the couple dozen on the left. I'll distract the couple dozen on the right until you finish with your half," he tried to joke with the warrior as he turned and ran in the direction Twyla and Ruin had gone, not waiting for the wagon to catch up to his former position.

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:16 pm

"There's only 24 of them?!" Asked Valac running after Revenge disappointed.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:27 am

The Battle and the Beast Within
User Image

Petra seems quite surprised by Kuori's words "What?! Illya? Fumiyo? Here? How is that possible?"

"Explanation can come later, they need our help now!" Abby snaps the reins and the wagon takes off down the trail, faster than ever.

Ruin, Illya, and Twyla run down the trail towards the sound of battle and they reach a small hill. Once they reach the crest, the trees thin out and give way to a large clearing. What the three of them see gives them pause long enough for Revenge, Valac and Kuori to arrive with the wagon. Before the party's eyes stretches an enormous battle. The field is scattered with over fifty Arian soldiers, several of them dead or wounded. They are fighting eight or so monstrous looking humanoids, some of which the soldiers have already disabled.

Everyone but Twyla and Valac recognizes Ying and Corsica near a large crater surrounded by Arian soldiers. Corsica is in her true, large form and is carrying Ying, who's still in her human form, on her back. Ying looks badly hurt and is unconscious. Corsica looks relatively unharmed, but Arian mages are casting spells, making immobilizing spikes of earth wrap around Corsica's legs. They are beginning to overwhelm her ability to break out of them.

To the right, the party sees a strange girl whose hair seems to consist of large broad leaves with a flower in the middle. Her skin looks almost to be made of wood and her legs end in gnarled roots. She is lying on the ground unconscious and is surrounded by equally unconscious looking soldiers, many of which have blood coming out from their ears. She has a large pack next to her, spilling open to reveal a plethora of potions. A group of Arian soldiers are beginning to cautiously approach her still body.

To the north, there is a girl who looks to be half dragon, complete with a set of scaly wings—though one of them looks to be broken. Fighting beside her is a young man who looks to be a cross of several different creatures. They both look heavily wounded and are just barely keeping the soldiers surrounding them at bay.

Across the river is a girl who looks to have the lower half of a snake. She is slinging spells at a group of Aarian mages, but they have her pinned against a cliff wall.

Overall, it isn't looking good for the monsters. Without any intervention, it looks as if the entire group will be overrun and captured within the next few minutes. Suddenly a girl, engulfed in flames, flies up from the forest and makes a beeline for a group of soldiers across the river who are surrounded by a sphere of magical energy. However, she is quickly repelled by spells being cast at her. As she is dodging spells in the sky, she spots the party on the hill and flies over.

“Illya! Ruin! Thank the gods you're all right! And is that Abby? How did you find her? And you have reinforcements as well? This might just save us. It's terrible! They have Fumiyo, they some how manged to get the jump on her and knocked her unconscious. They’re dragging her back to the portal as we speak! I've been trying to rescue her but they are creating some sort of magical barrier around her that's blocking all of my attacks. If we don't save her, then...”

Illya cuts in. “I know. We must save her at all costs; it's the only way we can get back home and we owe it to her for what she has done for us.”

Petra jumps out of the wagon, a look of panic and dismay on her face. “But what of the rest of our sisters? They need our help!”

Abby gives Petra a sad look. “We can try to help them if we can, but we need to prioritize Fumiyo. She's the only one who can turn the tide of this battle; we need her power.”

“Why can't we turn the tide?” Arthur would add as he emerged from the wagon armed with two short swords. “I'm ready to fight. I will protect my love and those she cares about.”

Suddenly a spell strikes the fire elemental girl in the back, knocking her to the ground. The soldiers have noticed the party. “Ramona!” Illya yells as she runs to her side, but Ramona staggers back to her feet.

“I'm fine, I'm fine. But help me hold them off. We'll keep 'em at bay while your friends formulate a plan, but they need to be fast. I don't know how long we've got.”

Ramona begins to blast the soldiers with balls of fire, while Illya takes pot shots with her hand crossbows. They have stopped the solders from advancing on the party's position for the moment. But it's not clear how long that will last.

((You guys get a few posts to formulate your plan before you have to roll initiative. Once you enter the fight I will be zooming in the map to your actual location and you guys will be provided with grid numbers as usual. Good Luck!))

Kowsauni
Crew

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:09 am

Ruin turned to face off against Revenge and the others, but with Ramona's statement about Abby, his drive to hurt the new comers shifted to try to find a way to save his people.

They have Abby... and they have a horse, and wagon...

"Abby, can we use your wagon to pick up Ying and Corisca, and take them to the forested area near Seraphina and Dresden?" Ruin would ask and point at the wooded area behind the two.

--------------------------If she says, yes-------------------------
Turning to everyone, "My idea is to split into two groups Abby's group will rescue those four, providing medical aid if you can. Using the woods as cover, they will move on Fumiyo's position. Ramona, I would like it if you and Illya went with Abby, And Ramona set the forest ablaze if the mages follow you past the trees. The other group, will move to save Sylvia and Shi. Then will join Abby's group on the assault to save Fumiyo."

Actions: Talking
OCC: 67x79 map... eek This is the kind of map, I would explore hoping to find some lost treasure in a video game. blaugh

Current Status:
HP: 49/49
AC: 20
Fort: 17
Refl: 15
Will: 19

Healing surges 9/9
Action Point: 1

+7 Fire Resist
+2 vs OA
+5 vs Ranged Attacks over 5 squares away
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:57 pm

"Sehanine..." Revenge would mutter.

Shaking his head, he would respond to Ruin's plan. "I don't think we have the time to play it as defensively as you suggest. If we focus too heavily on rescuing some, I fear others will be lost before we can regroup and attack again. We need to take the heat off of all of them, and we need to do it now."

Quickly scanning the battlefield, he would try to gauge the best way to utilize people's strengths and mobility.

"My recommendation is this: Kuori, come with me that way, towards the river," the paladin would start, where the unconscious girl lay. "I'll get you to the river's edge, and use your advantage of distance to help her over there," he'd indicate, towards the snake girl. "Twyla, Valac, you two head toward the bridge. Twyla, your job is to get him there, keep him hale and hearty. Hopefully by the time he's across, I'll rejoin up with you and we'll head that way," he'd gesture towards the two fighting far north. "Valac, I'm trusting you to punch through on your own, and show them what Barbarians think of barriers." He'd pause. "Be careful of bolas." To the newer faces, he'd gesture towards Corsica's position. "Ah... Ruin... Illya... Ram...ona? Head that way and free up Corsica. She looks to be in good health. As soon as you can, bring her with you and swing around to where they are, and Twyla and I will meet you there," he'd explain, indicating once more where the draconic one with her companion.

He'd turn his gaze over towards the wagon. "Abby... I know expecting you to stay back is a foolish request, so I say advance forward with Arthur and Petra in the wagon - but do it slowly. If able, try to follow the road and shore up whatever front seems like it needs the most help. I'm going to lay hands on the girl by the river then send her to you. Ruin, whomever is the most hurt from your group, grab Ying and bring her to the wagon too. If any of the potions the girl down there has are of the healing variety, that will make a good position for us to use to keep everyone on their feet, so I'll be counting on all of you to keep the wagon, and each other, safe. When we get to a point where this side of the river is all but secured, whoever is closest to that bridge, get across there and back up Valac - if he needs it."

He would inhale sharply. "I know splitting the party is kind of bad karma, but I don't think we have the luxury of keeping together, not without throwing anyone under the Bulette. If anyone has any better ideas, I'm all ears."

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

AlphabetFish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:18 am

Twyla looked left, right, left again, forward, right again--her head was spinning. So many people! And she was just one little gnome. Still, she had to try. The stories she'd have to tell after this!

From what others were saying, it sounded like they'd be splitting up, but one thing was nagging her from the back of her mind... "Wait, Mr. Revenge, Mr. Ruin... I'll go with whoever you guys want, but first I need to ask something," she said.

"Miss Abby?" She addressed her employer now. "What do you mean that only Fumiyo can turn the tide of the battle? What can she do? If she's as important as you say, maybe we should send a group directly to her."
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:04 am

Abby would answer Twyla's question. "Fumiyo has the ability to teleport short distances and can travel long distances instantly by moving through shadows. I don't really know how she does it, but that is how she was able get us all out of the place they had us locked up in."

Illya would add, in between taking shots with her hand crossbow, "We have a safe haven, far away from these lands. We need Fumiyo to get back there, otherwise we are trapped. And I... I think she has the power to do something devastating. There is a terrible darkness inside her, we all know it, but she never talks about it, probably so we don't worry. She's like a mother to us, after all. Corsica seems to be the only one who knows anything about it, but she won't say anything either. Whatever it is... I... I think it must be something quite powerful or terrible, given that they both seem to be afraid of it."

Ramona casts a grim look over at Illya as if to confirm her words, but otherwise says nothing as she continues to try and pin down the approaching soldiers.

Kowsauni
Crew

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:45 am

Kuori gets out and moves to the left of the horse before she starts firing down at the mages.

(There is a brown spot SE of Corsica. The mage SE of that spot is my target.)

"We can't afford to split up. We need to hit them like a rolling tide. Pick off the group by Corsica first, move to the Dragon, the Flower, the Snake, then Fumiyo. We'll lose less people that way. If they start moving Fumiyo we may need to change that, but between the ten of us we can easily take these cells out one by one. Add in the others as we pick them up and we'll become damn near invincible." She adds, "I can get to two of the groups from here already, so I'm not getting into melee, we have people that do better in melee, I'm better served as a watchman on the hill picking off Arian's from here and moving into the cleared areas. I can stay with somebody driving the wagon and move with them."

minor, Mark target
21 vs ac for 10 dmg plus hunters mark 4 dmg
12 vs ac for 13 dmg
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:48 am

Ruin thought for a moment, and knowing the longer they took planning the shorter time his people had. "I'll second Kouri's plan," Mostly because it was the least complicated "...but, we pick up Sylvia... the flower,..." he added bitterly, " ...second. And Ramona flies to help Seraphina and Dresden, for the time being."

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:00 am

User Image

(Image just to help clarify in case Valac fails to clarify.)

Drawing on previous experience of mass combat Valac threw his opinion in, "For once I agree with Kuori, we're a smaller force spreading out just means they can overwhelm the smaller group then outnumber the other."

"If we want to get to this Fumiyo then you would think to go as the crow flies." Valac said pointing the direction of the barrier and the odd empty space to their north east, "fighting through that direction though is asking to be surrounded as they can collapse on our force."

(See red arrow and black arrows.)

"It would be better to move though the trees to our east and attack that lot by the river, clear them out and move on to the ones by the bridge. I'll hold the bridge using the choke point to stop their numbers advantage and let no one pass possibly with some support from Kuori on our side of the captured bridge while the rest of you get that Fumiyo. Then secure our side of the bridge and with somewhere semi secure to fall back to launch an attack back on this side clearing the rest out."

(See Purple arrows.)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:02 am

"Right. Sounds like I'm outvoted. I won't argue the matter, don't worry," Revenge would respond.

Amusingly, while everyone seemed to lean towards sticking together in one slower-moving group, they seemed to differ greatly about the direction they should head. With new faces he wasn't sure if, once 'agreed' upon a plan, everyone would even stick to it.

"Twyla, I know you said you didn't have a strong opinion either way, but I'd like you to speak up. I think a good number of warriors here have a rather straightforward approach to combat. How would your own abilities - as a bard - be put to their best use?" he'd ask the Gnome.

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:31 am

"Fumiyo may be important to the overall plan, but you're strategy has us leaving a bunch of them to fend for themselves. If we skirt the left tey'll have to come to us rather than be able to swarm in on us.
With the ones by Corsica gone, and thus adding her to our team, we can take the battle to the dragon people. Using the river as a border on the other side.
Swoop in to the south for plant girl and we've got 4 more in our group.
Over to the snake and we're at 15.
Then to Fumiyo so long as that barrier doesnt move.
Rolling tide, our numbers grow as we move along. More figjters, quicker fights."
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:43 pm

"Just stop! We are expendable to the military forces, but they want the family alive. So, worrying about their survival doesn't help them. Though, freeing them to join us doesn't sound so bad, if we can do it quick, neither does an assault on the bridge and freeing Fumiyo first."

Ruin would turn to Petra, "Venom-eye or Stone-eye Basilisk? how does your ability work? And how hard is it to use?(referring to At-will, Encounter, or Daily aspect)"

--------------After listening to Petra's answer----------------

He would turn to Abby, "And yours?"

---------------And after listening to Abby's answer------------

It was Arthur's turn, "Yours?"

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:29 pm

As Ruin lays in on Petra Kupri rushes between them. "Back off." She looks behind her and says, "Petra doesn't like doing that to people, so dont make it part of your plan." She shakes her head, "You do what you want. I'm saving Ying and Corsica. Even if they want to take them alive, which may not even be the case at this point considering how much trouble they have been, I don't want to just leave them there in the hopes of geeting to some impenetrable barrier."

She moves from between them and goes back to shooting , but this time targets the mages by the snake woman.
[D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 80 81 82 83 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games