Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 20. ✿ - - - Debating
Gay Marriage. Nay or Yay? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ALLIGAT0R TEARS

Familiar Fairy

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:14 pm
libby4554
AmberElric
Yay! It is inhumane to deny individuals a right. If we are going to deny rights based on ridiculous reasoning, should we revert back to slavery? If a person's lifestyle is not harming someone then there is no need to punish a person based on gender, race, or sexual orientation. That is just pathetic.

We are not useing "ridiculous reasoning". You guys seem to be fine with gay marriage, but not with the Christians here being Christians, or quoteing the Bible! You are being hipocrits! Forget this... It's pointless! You guys are being so DENSE...You're blind...

If your only argument is "because God says so", then yes I believe that is ridiculous. I am not a hypocrite. Learn to spell the word first, by the way.

I think it is amusing because you seem to be the blind one. I bet you let you pastor or whatever leader you have run your life. And a book that could have been altered by people, which means God had nothing to do with what id being preached. Yes I would say you are blind if you let a book control life and not your own mind.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:26 pm
100% for gay marriage.
I understand that it's against some people's religion, but really what you're saying, in my opinion, is that gay people aren't allowed to fall in love because God would hate them for it. So...God would hate them for falling in love? God made them, didn't He?
A book I would highly suggest is one I'm reading now, Prayers for Bobby. Sadly, what happens to Bobby probably happens to thousands of gays and lesbians. One thing I really like about the book is that it takes parts of the Bible, and kind of helps put it in a modern perspective.
Like this quote, page 110: "For example, she thought, nobody takes Deuteronomy 22:18 seriously today. No one in his right mind would condone stoning a rebellious child to death. There were other biblical admonitions honored totally in the breach these days: that lepers wear torn clothing and cry out, 'Unclean, unclean!'; that adultery with a neighbor's wife be punished by death; that having intercourse with a menstruating woman be a capital offense; that no clothing of mixed fibers be worn; that bastards not be allowed in the synagogue; that a brother marry the wife of his dead sibling.
So the church no longer recognized many things as being sinful or worthy of death. Why, then, wouldn't her son's homosexuality be among them?"
Not everything is the same as it was then, hm?

SaffronWisteria

Friendly Dabbler

13,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Shino Babie

8,950 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 pm
im for it! my family isnt though  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:09 pm
personally i say nay. but, i think u can believe wat u wanna believe. in addition, to the god comments id rather believe what a book says and have a chance at eternal life and happiness rather than miss it and burn up in a lake of fire. plus, there is historical facts that verify the bible's accuracy. the writers of the bible were also eyewitnesses of the events they wrote about, or very close to eyewitnesses. the bible has been virtually unchanged since it was written: that is a fact. who was the single man who changed the way people reffered to time? Jesus Christ! so, i believe what he says goes whee srry if that sounded like a sermon, but i had to say it!!!  

Swim47

9,050 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Generous 100

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:42 pm
Swim47
in addition, to the god comments id rather believe what a book says and have a chance at eternal life and happiness rather than miss it and burn up in a lake of fire.

This is getting off topic, but it's something that I'm actually having problems with personally and I think it'd be interesting to ask about.

Christianity is not the only religion that has ever existed, so why are you certain that it, specifically, is correct and all other religions are wrong? Ignoring all other religions seems to me like you're oversimplifying the problem.

Also, the concept of Hell has never sat well with me (Eternal punishment for actions during roughly a hundred years? How is this even remotely fair or loving?), but that's a different topic entirely.

Swim47
plus, there is historical facts that verify the bible's accuracy. the writers of the bible were also eyewitnesses of the events they wrote about, or very close to eyewitnesses.

Eh, not so much. The Gospels were written a fair amount of time after Jesus' death if I remember correctly.

Historical accuracy's all over, to be honest. Take the flood for example; there is evidence of a giant flood in the... Middle East, I think. However, it's definitely not the worldwide flood that was mentioned in the Bible.

Swim47
the bible has been virtually unchanged since it was written: that is a fact.

The Bible was not originally written in English. In order for you to read it, it had to be translated.
I have yet to see a translation that doesn't lose/change something.
Based on this, I think it's safe to say that the Bible has been altered over the course of time.

Also, there are books of the Bible that aren't considered canon; how do those factor into the Bible being unchanged?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:46 pm
I'm all for being with who I love, and if one day I love a girl, so be it.

To make things clear, marriage is a legal term that refers to a man and a woman who have certain legal rights by way of taxes and such.

I think if people are going to put up a fight, just change the name. They can have a ceremony, in a church, and get their tax rights, but like a lot of states are beginning to do, we should call it civil union.  

anticupid16

Desirable Elocutionist

ALLIGAT0R TEARS

Familiar Fairy

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:20 pm
Zephyrkitty
Swim47
in addition, to the god comments id rather believe what a book says and have a chance at eternal life and happiness rather than miss it and burn up in a lake of fire.

This is getting off topic, but it's something that I'm actually having problems with personally and I think it'd be interesting to ask about.

Christianity is not the only religion that has ever existed, so why are you certain that it, specifically, is correct and all other religions are wrong? Ignoring all other religions seems to me like you're oversimplifying the problem.

Also, the concept of Hell has never sat well with me (Eternal punishment for actions during roughly a hundred years? How is this even remotely fair or loving?), but that's a different topic entirely.

Swim47
plus, there is historical facts that verify the bible's accuracy. the writers of the bible were also eyewitnesses of the events they wrote about, or very close to eyewitnesses.

Eh, not so much. The Gospels were written a fair amount of time after Jesus' death if I remember correctly.

Historical accuracy's all over, to be honest. Take the flood for example; there is evidence of a giant flood in the... Middle East, I think. However, it's definitely not the worldwide flood that was mentioned in the Bible.

Swim47
the bible has been virtually unchanged since it was written: that is a fact.

The Bible was not originally written in English. In order for you to read it, it had to be translated.
I have yet to see a translation that doesn't lose/change something.
Based on this, I think it's safe to say that the Bible has been altered over the course of time.

Also, there are books of the Bible that aren't considered canon; how do those factor into the Bible being unchanged?

I applaud you. You said everything I was going to mention but better. heart  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:59 am
:/ Its quite unnerving to hear these comments.
I live in a godless city, in a godless country.
And its amazing.
Churches are now mueseums, myths and stories like harry potter.

I can't actually believe what half of you are saying, do you re read what you type and actually think thats its ok to think like that?

Well welcome to the 21st century. And you wonder why people find most Americans to be backwards. I feel so sorry for you.

Violent Posture

viper_353

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:26 pm
I'm a Christian. I don't think it's rigth to be gay. But I do think that gay people are people as much as we are, and they deserve the same right....I haven't read all the comments on here yet, but it seems u guys are mostly arguing against religion! That's your opinion, that isn't what the thread is about. It's asking if you think that gay mairrage is right! I am pretty against being gay. Not that I don't have some gay friends, but I do not think it's how people were meant to be, the bible does say against it, and with all that I've witnessed-I think I should believe anything that it says! But I do also think that some people are so caught up in what the 'ideal world' is, that they forget to look around, and that sometimes we're called to apply God's word to people and situations outside of the ideal no-gays thing. I like gay people, think of them as just people doing wrong just as I do wrong every day, and I'm never going to say they can't have their basic rights. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:50 pm
People should be able to get married even if they are the same sex,they love each other right? So they should be able to get married,but its my opinion,so other people might say people of the same sex shouldnt get married.  

gaaralover8044

ALLIGAT0R TEARS

Familiar Fairy

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:35 am
viper_353
I'm a Christian. I don't think it's rigth to be gay. But I do think that gay people are people as much as we are, and they deserve the same right....I haven't read all the comments on here yet, but it seems u guys are mostly arguing against religion! That's your opinion, that isn't what the thread is about. It's asking if you think that gay mairrage is right! I am pretty against being gay. Not that I don't have some gay friends, but I do not think it's how people were meant to be, the bible does say against it, and with all that I've witnessed-I think I should believe anything that it says! But I do also think that some people are so caught up in what the 'ideal world' is, that they forget to look around, and that sometimes we're called to apply God's word to people and situations outside of the ideal no-gays thing. I like gay people, think of them as just people doing wrong just as I do wrong every day, and I'm never going to say they can't have their basic rights. smile

Bibles have been altered many many times, whether you want to believe it or not. However, are you not aware that racism was tied into religion for many years. So was sexism. Should we keep up with those traditions? I mean to many people, being black and hanging out with blacks was against their religion. I just don't see how you can judge a person because you interpret the bible in a certain way or you let your pastor(or whatever you call him for your religion) lead you through your life. It just seems a bit blind.
Yes this is about gay marriage and not so much religion completely but in a debate like this, I would say they go together. Everything is fair game to argue with that is brought up in a debate.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:33 am
Its actually stated no woman shall go to heaven.
My Vajayjay is a sin.

So according to your beliefs we're all doomed anywais.
Might aswell have my fun now.

There is no choice in being gay or not.
You have to understand that.
NO CHOICE.
I hope that when you get older and see a bit more of the world that you will learn to understand how religion has screwed humanity over royaly and how your only saviour is yourself.

Why live for a life after death when the one we are blessed with is the life we are already living.  

Violent Posture

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:37 pm
Violent Posture
My Vajayjay is a sin.

Verse plz?
I know there's something in Leviticus about menstruation being unclean, but I really don't recall anything about women not going to Heaven. And I think every branch of Christianity says that Mary went to Heaven, so if it exists it's probably a verse that doesn't apply to Christians anymore at this point.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:44 am
Zephyrkitty
Violent Posture
My Vajayjay is a sin.

Verse plz?
I know there's something in Leviticus about menstruation being unclean, but I really don't recall anything about women not going to Heaven. And I think every branch of Christianity says that Mary went to Heaven, so if it exists it's probably a verse that doesn't apply to Christians anymore at this point.

It was a joke from family guy!!!
And I'm guessing there are many that don't 'apply' to christianity anymore.
The most pick n mix religion ever.  

Violent Posture

Death At Will

5,200 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:40 am
i think that gays should have rights like any other. i think that everybody is somebody and nothing should stand against it. it's not like it's hurting or harming another. some people say it makes them feel very shameful about the same sex getting married. my uncle said he felt ashamed. i asked him why he feels that why, and he said it as against his rights. i also asked what rights? like i was saying before...it's not harming anyone or assassinating anyone.  
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff