Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]
Jade Legacy [L5R 3eR] - Act 2 Chapter 1: Daiippo/First Step Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 56 57 58 59 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit
Sutiiven rolled 1 10-sided dice: 9 Total: 9 (1-10)

Sutiiven

Dapper Conversationalist

5,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Exploding die: 10+9=19
Total on Main Roll.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:51 pm

"Thank you, Toritaka-sama," deeply bowing, to display how sincerely sorry he was atop the natural respect due to the magistrate, and then followed.

Honestly, he should have known better than to give chase. It was an action that might have deserved to get them kicked out from the village for causing trouble, and no telling if the badges would be of any sort of help. They needed time to rest in Kuda Mura, and information if there was any. He should have known better, since he hadn't actually seen them do anything illegal. Now instead he was realizing just how jumpy and impulsive he'd been in his new sense of importance and duty.

What was going on with the deliveries and all, he would have liked to know, but pushing the issue would likely only make the two clam up further, if not simply muddle the issue or get them into more trouble. He'd have to hope that Kafu would trust in the magistrate and let honor guide him, if anything wrong or illegal was going on. Despite the misgivings, the two didn't seem like bad men by a long shot.

Once he was sure no one was near enough to listen in, he'd quietly ask the magistrate "I would like to know, have there been any Scorpions to Kuda Mura recently? Aside from the two in company, of course." It was information he was not certain he'd be privvy to, especially after that mess, unless he pulled out his badge and made a convincing argument. He wasn't sure he needed to know it, but it would ease his mind, and he didn't want to show off the badge in public so close to their target.

If there were people taking part in foul play, he wanted to make sure that the wardens' prey was unalerted to their presence.

...and no sooner did he get it out, trying to keep from having the ashigaru overhear and get more frightened by him poking his nose in, then the final warden showed himself and... well, was extremely polite, darkening Denbe's face as the young Hare suddenly felt subjected to his embarrassment from the episode all over again.

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:56 am

GM's notes:
Kojiro: -1k0 earth/water.
Denbe: -1k0 earth/void.
Kagae: -1k0 fire.
Seichiro: -1k0 earth/void.
Zanzen: -1k0 earth/water.
Kyumi: -1k0 fire/void.
Hisashi:None
Miyako: None

--------------------

@ Husk and Shell Inn:

Kojiro, with Miyako, would find themselves returning to the inn, where Seichiro and Zanzen were already having lunch. As they arrived, Seichiro was being a brought a bowl of rice, and there was a chance that Zanzen was having a second helping. In case you want to interact, or fill in the less proactive samurai in the chase scene.

--------------------

@ Possible interrogation:

"Scorpions? Why are they such a big issue today?" Tokugawa would muse aloud, not turning to speak with Denbe, instead keeping his focus forward. "Not yet this year, to the best of my knowledge. Nor the year before, unless one passed through on a different shift. Really, we get so few visitors at all, outside of our own Clan. I'm surprised Kagae-san didn't tell you that. We've had so few visitors, since the War of the Spirits JUST ended. Any visitors to our lands were probably to Kyuden Hida, or one of the nearby estates. Nothing this far west."

Around this point, Hisashi would be seen approaching the group, intent on intercepting them. "I swear to the Kami..." Tokugawa would mutter before Hisashi came within earshot.

Hisashi would close, bow, and offer his sincerest apologies to the magistrate. "... 'Jade Wardens'? Oh, that a nickname you guys call your 'adventuring party'?" Tokugawa would snort once, smiling broadly. "I didn't think anyone's done anything like that since way before the Clan War. Far be it for me to judge, though." He would wave his hands dismissively. "Don't let any Jade magistrates hear that though, they might think you're trying to usurp their positions, or ruin their titles."

Tokugawa would then address Hisashi's offer. "Three of your companions felt the need to jump two of our ashigaru. At this point, I think the whole thing is a big misunderstanding, but we're about to talk about it in my office to make sure. If I'm right, then you can explain to your group, especially those two Scorpions, that no slight against their honor was made and there is no recourse necessary. Come along."

Upon entering the magistrate's office, several Doshin were hanging out lazily, apparently trying to pass the time as quickly as possible through their boredom. One was rocking back in a chair, another was slumped upon a desk, and the third was sitting on the floor near the far wall, repeatedly lightly bopping the back of his head against the wall every couple seconds.

"Up and at 'em, boys and girls. We got houseguests." Tokugawa swung open the door, and the Doshin suddenly scrambled to their feet, and began hustling around the office in an attempt to look busy.

Tokugawa walked over to one of the two cells within this office, pulling open the steel barred door and gesturing inside. It was kind of surprising to see such an open jail doorway, considering the level of capacity of destruction and deadliness some Rokugani had. Hopefully, not ALL the Crab jails were this unsecure, or they'd never be able to keep ANY of their criminals pinned down to serve time!

The two ashigaru would solemnly enter the cell, which had no furnishings at all, and simply stood there as Tokugawa closed the cell, latching it from his side with a fairly complex locking mechanism that seemed... complicated. But they WERE technically in Kaiu lands currently.

"Okay, dunderheads. What did you do?" Tokugawa would ask, stepping back and crossing his arms. Kafu and Jotaro would look at each other, before Tokugawa interrupted. "Ah ah. No, eyes on me. Look at me when you talk."

"Well... we had just gotten back from Kuwagatamushi Mura with our latest supply run..." Kafu started to explain.

"Yeah. It was a grueling delivery too. This heat's a beast, so early in summer," Jotaro felt the need to add.

"We figure, hey, it's hot. So, after bringing the goods back here, we go to the Husk and Shell to get some food and water. We earned it, right?"

"You know how the reason you chose us to bring the stuff here was on the off chance any bandits attempt to take it? Well, we come back to the inn after the trip, and there's a bunch of heavily armed men in the inn."

"I think the heat was just getting to us, and we panicked for no reason. I apologize, noble and forgiving magistrate."

"No buttering up."

"I... sorry, sir. Yes, sir."

"What I think Kafu is trying to say, sir, is... uh... if it's not too much trouble... could we perhaps, maybe, get some water?"

Denbe? Hisashi? Your thoughts?

--------------------

@ Kagae's Homecoming:

"..." Hana would seemingly stare blankly at Kagae after his little tale.

"You... threw water... on a... Kuni."

Another blank stare.

Before Kaiu Hana burst into laughter. "Oh, my baby, it's a miracle that you're not in Meido!" she would proclaim, leaning forward to grab Kagae with her arms, hugging him protectively to her bosom.

It was at this point that the servants would show up with cool drinks and some cooked fish and Kuda Mura rice, all seasoned with exotic spices and prepared carefully. In addition, a platter of sushi rolls would be placed on the table, beneath the awkward embrace of the two master samurai.

As they turned to leave, Kagae would be sure he heard giggling and snickering from the servants.

"Oh, Kagae-kun..." Pulling back, she would keep her hands on his shoulders, smiling at him. "I wouldn't worry about her. She sounds like she's a very talented Kuni to me."

With that, she would release her son, adjusting her kimono as she sat once more. Offering a quick prayer to the fortunes, she would then begin eating.
Sutiiven rolled 5 10-sided dice: 9, 4, 6, 6, 3 Total: 28 (5-50)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:58 am

Rain Yupa
"... 'Jade Wardens'? Oh, that a nickname you guys call your 'adventuring party'?" Tokugawa would snort once, smiling broadly. "I didn't think anyone's done anything like that since way before the Clan War. Far be it for me to judge, though." He would wave his hands dismissively. "Don't let any Jade magistrates hear that though, they might think you're trying to usurp their positions, or ruin their titles."

"I... think once this issue has been settled fully, I should explain about the name. I was kind of hoping that my companions had informed someone of our position..." he would say, shooting a look at Denbe that read "Why hasn't anyone told him yet?!"

Rain Yupa
Tokugawa would then address Hisashi's offer. "Three of your companions felt the need to jump two of our ashigaru. At this point, I think the whole thing is a big misunderstanding, but we're about to talk about it in my office to make sure. If I'm right, then you can explain to your group, especially those two Scorpions, that no slight against their honor was made and there is no recourse necessary. Come along."

Hisashi listened to the quick explanation and hurried along with his superior and companion as he was told. "Yes, of course, Magistrate-sama" he would say as he was ordered along, doing his best to maintain the high level of respect and politeness needed when dealing with someone you didn't know anything about but was still higher ranked than you.

Rain Yupa

[Insert Ashigaru Testimony Here]

Denbe? Hisashi? Your thoughts?

Hisashi would place a hand over his mouth and look at the two with a raised eyebrow, holding back laughter at the sheer ridiculosity of all involved in the situation. "Well, it seems that we should clearly do a better job of making ourselves known when we arrive at a new destination. I must admit, I never expected we would be mistaken for bandits. Then again, Mantis and Scorpion don't exactly scream "upstanding individuals" from a first glance... No matter."

Hisashi would then turn and bow towards the magistrate again. "It appears that many mistakes were made on both sides and that no one was harmed in the process... I humbly ask that you do not punish your men too severely. While extreme, their actions to not seem terribly unreasonable, especially since my companions gave them a reason to flee from pursuit... something I will have to discuss with them later."

Etiquette [Sincerity]: 5k3 vs Tokugawa's TN to keep the situation calm should the magistrate be wanting to throttle his men right about now...

Total: 9+6+6+2(Emphasis)=23

Sutiiven

Dapper Conversationalist

5,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Tei Kae

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:01 pm

"Of course, Tokugawa-san" By this point, Miyako was steaming, but not from the heat, but her voice remained cool if a bit distant. It wasn't anything unexpected from a Scorpion. Incompetent, ridiculous., oh she was going to have some very choice words for Kuni Raicho when she got a chance to sit down and write a report. Politely couched of course. And of course, the idiocy kept piling on. As the magistrate left with Denbe, she looked at the Lion and frowned. Gifts? What was she rambling on about now.

Sighing, she turned back towards the Inn waving her fan at her face to repel some of the heat. It was lucky that she was not nearby when the Mantis interrupted the group at the jail or she might have actually lost her temper. She had little to no patience with incompetents or most of the people of the Minor clans...and this bunch was not improving her idea of them. Instead, she followed after Kojiro back to the Inn, allowing only for a small question if he would meet her for dinner later before stopping in her own room just for a moment before heading back into the main room and bringing out a small Go board and began to play against herself. Sitting, playing and listening.
Psychofish rolled 5 10-sided dice: 9, 5, 7, 5, 10 Total: 36 (5-50)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:53 pm

"Today? Did something come up about them before we arrived?" Denbe asked the magistrate, clearly confused at it. This COULD be evidence of some real reason going on that would have the ashigaru afraid of Scorpions, or what they thought were Scorpions, that the magistrate might have not known about or dismissed. Or a silly happenstance. But it was a strange coincidence, so as long as they had a little time before making it to their destination, he might as well see if he could fish out just a little more through casual conversation.

This was a surprise to Denbe- to see how this place worked. The device in particular seemed strange, but it wasn't where his mind should be. There were still extra ears here, but they should be loyal enough not to spread rumors that could be troublesome.

Denbe spared them all a glance before settling down to listen through the story, and try to piece together how much of it sounded legitimate, so he could choose his next words carefully.

[1 Raise to catch evidence of a lie/omission of facts.]
[5k3 Awareness/Investigation: 30 vs TN+5]

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Psychofish rolled 2 10-sided dice: 4, 1 Total: 5 (2-20)

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:59 pm

[Explosion: 14]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:15 pm

GM's notes:

--------------------

@ Interrogation:

Earlier on, Tokugawa would explain to Denbe that he wasn't particularly in the mood for conspiracy theories concerning the Scorpion Clan in this heat, and every time he heard that name, it made his headache a little bit worse.

Tokugawa seemed satisfied with their response. He would nod to one of the doshin, who proceeded to grab an empty pitcher and head out of the building.

"You needn't keep apologizing for your group, Yoritomo-san. I'm sure they acted within what they consider reasonable parameters for the reception they had received. Frankly, with some samurai as skittish as they are, I'm grateful these two men weren't cut down on the spot. They've served this village loyally for years, and I'd hate to lose such hard workers."

The Doshin seemd to be relaxing already, and Tokugawa seemed ready to drop the charges already.

Denbe, they are LYING. But not blatantly so. The raise will get you that they really aren't lying per se, but twisting their words to blanket the actual truth with the true parts that the magistrate wanted to hear. Lots of omission, from pretty much start to finish.

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:10 pm

@The Husk and Shell Inn

Kojiro was looking blankly at a sheet of paper when Miya-chan asked him if he would have dinner with her later. He would agree, and then start tiredly writing out his letter. It would be a while before he completed it. In it he detailed a polite summary of the Tournament, an explanation of what the Jade Wardens do, and his expectations for Kentaro. He would roll up the letter and seal it and would head downstairs.

Kojiro would spot Miyako at her table and sit next to her. "So, have you met the others yet? If you like, I could make introductions. Other than that, I need to find a messenger to get this letter off."
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:39 pm

@ Kagae's Homecoming:

Fully embarrassed Kagae would pick up a pair of chopsticks and then rolled up one sleeve. He would hesitate before actually choosing something to eat starting with fish but focusing on the rice mostly. A short amount of time would pass and as he was taking a small sip from his drink a realisation would spread across his face as he forgot something.

"Oh! Right... Forgot about that. Duty to the empire... Yes..." Kagae would say looking about despondently, "Apparently... The tournament was actually some sort of recruiting drive for people to become underlings for the jade magistrates and perform similar duties... Albeit less important ones... These are what are now called Jade Wardens. So now I will travel Rokugan solving problems like you did when you were younger... Actually... Could you give me any advice?"

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
Psychofish rolled 5 10-sided dice: 3, 4, 1, 6, 6 Total: 20 (5-50)

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:15 pm

"Then you likely should have stopped when you realized we were samurai," Denbe said with no hostility, staring Kafu down with a questioning face. It probably didn't endear him especially much to the magistrate, but perhaps it might do him some good for the soldier to know that Denbe was on to him, but kind enough not to call him out on it and get him into trouble in front of the magistrate.

"Have you been having trouble with bandits or the like of late, then?"

The Hare asked, fine if the magistrate had an answer- but he was hoping that, besides what help an answer to that might offer in either their investigation or just their safety, that Kafu might decide to slip him a bit of a hint about what had them fearing for their lives.

"If there are any dangers locally that have your men worried, my companions and I would be greatly appreciative of the forewarning. We might even be able to offer some aid."

He might have tried to lay on the hint-hint-nudge-nudge if he hadn't been behind bars.

[2 Raises to get something useful out of Kafu.]
[5k3 Awareness/Investigate: 16]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Psychofish
-Insert Denbe's Actions Here-

Hisashi would close his eyes with a slightly irate look on his face as the Hare continued to press the ashigaru, rubbing his forehead with the index and middle finger of his right hand.

"Be polite, Denbe-san. Need I remind you we're currently guests of the Magistrate and that berating the ashigaru is not your job? Needless to say I think they've been harassed by you enough for one day..."

He was sure Denbe had his reasons, but really now was not the time to be pushing the boss man's buttons any more than had been done before. The stern statement made it very clear that the Mantis was not in the mood for any continued trouble from his party member for the time being.

Sutiiven

Dapper Conversationalist

5,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:44 pm

GM's notes:

--------------------

@ Interrogation:

When Denbe asked his questions, both ashigaru seemed uncertain as to whether or not they should respond - not because of something they had to hide, but as a matter of etiquette. They seemed to look to Tokugawa for either permission to answer, or to see if he would field this one himself.

"There's always dangers, Ujina-san," Tokugawa would respond first. "Banditry, wild beasts, ronin trying to pick a fight, goblins, and Fortunes know what else. I've been doing this several years though, and have only seen one problem that required the attentions of samurai. Some thug got his a** drunk and went on a rampage through the town, wounded a lot of good folk. That was... two autumns ago, I believe." Tokugawa would look to the doshin for confirmation before continuing.

"It's why we've been having the ashigaru manning the shipments from the outlying villages to here, just in case. It's frankly tedious and boring work to simply provide escort service, but too much of a gamble to have a bunch of peasants do it themselves unarmed. Just having armed men en route deters ruffians from getting any bright ideas."

Denbe, to the best of your ability to tell, Tokugawa is giving you a full 100% accurate report of operations around here. As the fact that neither ashigaru was the one to respond, you get nothing out of either of them with that roll.

--------------------

@ Kagae's Homecoming:

Hana would listen, nodding as Kagae explained the duty he had been awarded for his work at the tournament. "That sounds like quite the honor! I'm proud of you, my son!" Hana said, setting down her chopsticks and clapping her hands together happily. "Your father will be ecstatic to hear about it when he returns home - I'm sure of it."

Though, her eyes did brighten at Kagae's request for advice. "Oh, you know I've never been that interested in glory when I used to travel. I've always been more interested in the performance of simpler duties for my Clan."

Flashback
A much younger Kuni Hana would be seen in full Kuni Witch Hunter attire, and then some. Her armor and garments were shredded and bloodied, and flesh blood dripped down the length of her katana. Dozens of men lay about the battlefield around her, all victims of grievous wounds delivered by her blade. Some would have faces barren of any features, their hands elongated into sharp talons. Several other men, under the sway of Nothing, shakily brought their weapons to bare towards the woman, their free will gone, but their survival instinct kicking into overdrive.

Spitting to the side, Hana would glare menacingly at the lot that still remained standing after her initial rampage. "Better run! They don't pay this b***h to take survivors! Only heads!" Laughing maniacally, she would charge their line as they began to break.

"Those were simpler, quieter times back then," Hana would say, lifting her tea cup to her lips and drinking daintily. She let out a wistful sigh, before putting her cup back down.

"My recommendation is to see if you can get a strong group of allies to travel with you, it would help tremendously. No one short of the Kami themselves can do everything, and it's important to know your limitations, and ally with those who can complement your investigative style with their own. Though, I'm surprised they didn't try to secure a group for you immediately. If you didn't win the whole tournament, I'm surprised you're not traveling with whomever won."
Plainsfox rolled 6 10-sided dice: 9, 1, 6, 7, 5, 8 Total: 36 (6-60)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:26 pm

@Shell & Husk

Kojiro slumped down into a seat opposite of Miyako after she gave him little response. "Well, with us in the inn are Kakita Zanzen and Matsu Seichiro. Matsu-san placed well in most events in the tournament. Kakita-san has the speed and some of the artistry of his ancestors....

The Scorpion trailed off as he recounted his traveling companions. "Kitsu Kyumi-san was the girl that asked about the presents. You'll have to forgive her. She's quite a powerful shugenja, but the heat is getting to her. Kitsu-san has drawn the interest of Soshi Maru after Kitsu-san defeated Soshi-san twice in the tournament. Kojiro chuckled at the memory. "Maru-chan was willing to bring that budding rivalry to a point where it could be discontinued, but I think time was against us at the tournament.

Kojiro studied the board as Miyako played her solitaire game. "You've met Ujina-san. He won several of the events and was favored to win it. Also with us are Kaiu Kagae and Yoritomo Hisashi. Yoritomo-san is a talented courtier from the Mantis. He placed second to me in the Archery contest. Kaiu-san did better than Ujina-san at the tournament. I believe he is staying with his parents for our duration here.

After Kojiro gave his review, he would shake out his shakuhachi from his sleeve and start playing a light tune. Any actual dirt on his fellows could wait until they weren't listening.

OOC:
Awareness/Performance (Shakuhachi)
Dice: 4k3 w/ 2 rolled to handle explosions
Raises: 1 raise called to sound exceptionally calming
Results: 22

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
Tei Kae rolled 9 10-sided dice: 7, 5, 5, 4, 6, 1, 10, 2, 2 Total: 42 (9-90)

Tei Kae

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:50 pm

{Awareness + Deceit + Dangerous Beauty= 9k4 =35
2 Raises to get a *ahem*raise out of Kojiro}

Miyako didn't seem to be paying Kojiro much attention at all, as she focused on her game, turning it lightly to give a better viewing angle. But her ears had been pricked. "A Soshi is not to be taken lightly." was her only reply, but she was indeed listening.

As he began playing though, she made a move and looked up at him, her voice soft enough to discourage listeners, but enough for him to hear. "Explain to me what directions were given to you concerning this whole business, Kojiro-san", The first time she'd acted familiar with him at all. Her voice was even warm, almost friendly; perhaps even a little flirtatious. "You were always so helpful about explaining everything to me when I was younger..." A smile she gave him then was most definitely warm. "And I never did thank you...."
[L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 56 57 58 59 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff