Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fifth Year Classes
Alchemy III ~ (1/5) Open! (Desires of an Alchemist) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:47 pm
Are you really here, or just in my mind?
Can you feel the fear, of what lies behind their eyes?
They came from the walls; they tortured us all...
And drove us away from our home!
Here in the night, they are calling my name.
I no longer know what is wrong or right...
But I know I am losing this game.
What can I do; what can I say?

They don't know: Perturbed
If it wasn't for you: ...
We would never run away: Fifth Years
But away we go: Alchemy

E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
V A S S

B L O O D T R A I T O R | H U F F L E P U F F | C H A S E R | F I F T H Y E A R | P R E F E C T User Image

Elsie had a peculiar feeling that she was going to end up dropping this class. She felt almost letdown, as if she was suspecting some truly sinister motives and was disappointed with the pursuit of quintessence. What was the point of living, if you achieved heaven on earth both mentally and physically? She was a little shocked at herself, because she was very much into the idea that people could work to achieve their own happiness in life. But perfection was different. Was it really happiness? Was it anything? Maybe she was just making excuses so she wouldn't have to really think too hard. Tanya's comments made her feel better about the whole thing, but could perfection be not knowing? Wasn't that just... life? You didn't need to study alchemy to be at peace with yourself and the knowledge you had. You just needed... acceptance. Something no one their age should be even close to having, or wanting yet. Youth was not made to be entirely content with oneself, she decided firmly. That had to come with age and experience.

I KNOW WHAT TO DO, I KNOW WHAT TO SAY, AND I WILL NOT RUN AWAY.

By the garden gate, I sit with my sisters.
I just hope it's not too late, for my mother and father.
Shall we go back inside; there is no reason to hide.
We can fight and take back our home here in the night!
They say when the wolves come out of the walls...
That it's all over, but it's not all over, 'cause we won't go!
Here in the night, they are crying in pain, and I know...
Everything is not alright, so we shall not fight in vain.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:02 pm
Professor of Alchemy
..........Ravenclaw Head of House
"The cycle of life only goes one direction,
not even alchemy can change that."

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
╔══════════════╗
Alchemy III
Lesson One: Desires of an Alchemist
Tuesday, Block Six, 2:00pm to 2:45pm

╚══════════════╝

Striding diligently across the rows of desks and chairs, Angel reached the front of his class and turned to meet his students. ”Welcome back, hope your summer was well. Welcome to Alchemy III, I am Professor Juan Angel Amorocho, call me Professor Angel, or just professor is fine. Today, we’re going to learn about the desires of an alchemist during the boom of the renaissance. Now, during the renaissance era is when the height of a prolonged lifestyle sparked birth, along with the desire to be rich and famous. So, of course, there had always been a search for a stone which could convert ordinary metals to gold, immortality for the spirit and soul, and the creation of artificial life.

“Now, unbeknownst to many alchemists, the true reasons behind the study of alchemy was not only for science, but for spiritual ambition as well. Alchemists believe that there is a quintessence, where the Above can be created in the Below, thus, heaven on earth in spirit and mind. So, with that in mind, there was only a very small percentage of alchemists true to the ideal of discovering the truth of alchemy, which is why in ancient texts, it can be impossible to discern which ingredients is being used because of the basic, generic terms used for each items.

“An alchemist must engage his studies with a pure heart if his desire is to achieve spiritual perfection and immortality. Essentially, you can almost call it a religion, and the quintessence, heaven. But you will only be learning practical alchemy in this class, but there is a genuine scientific merriment to the philosophical aspect of alchemy. Which, I can explain very simply with this quote from an unknown alchemist.... Now, are there any questions?”

Quote:
“Would to God . . . all men might become adepts in our Art -- for then gold, the great idol of mankind, would lose its value, and we should prize it only for its scientific teaching.”

Juan Angel Amorocho
User Image User Image User Image

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:15 am
x
x
x
x

User Image

x
                                    ████████████████xx ℓεxιηε vαηcε xx███████xxxxlessons in life will be repeated until they are learned.

Fifth Year Prefect | | Fifteen | | Ravenclaw | | Dating Iñigo | | Half-Blood | | Seeker

Lexine took her seat in alchemy and began setting up her desk. She was excited, to say the least, after all it was the last class of her day...well, that, and she really liked Professor Angel, and not just because he was her Head of House. As soon as lessons started, Lexine paid full attention to the professor and jotted down notes quickly. She'd be certain to rewrite her notes after she got back to her common room... As soon as the lesson was over, Professor Angel asked them if they had any questions. Lexine sat back silently in her chair, searching around the room with her eyes.

uniform x ooc :: - - -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:25 am
Sometimes I feel like I wanna leave this place for good...
Under the ground, I'll live down there without a sound!
And never hear these hissing voices all the same-
I'll disappear, 'cause living makes me feel ashamed.
I must believe there's more above us and below;
I must believe, stranded with this b***h called hope!
It keeps me here when all I wanna do is go;
It keeps me here when all I wanna do is disappear.

User Image
E L E A Z A R
D R A V E N
B R A D L E Y

RavenclawFifth YearHalfbloodAdopted

Eleazar had always counted Alchemy as one of his favorite classes, and that hadn't changed. It wasn't that he was on a quest for limitless gold or anything, or even immortality... Well, living forever might be kind of nice. Think of all the things he could accomplish without worrying about death or disease or his mind being crippled by age. He agreed with the quote, to say the least. He didn't care about being rich, or powerful, he just cared about putting his intelligence to good use. That was why he wanted to be a potioneer. Discover new things, help people.

OOC:
Username

If this is it, all we have and ever will-
If this is it, time is running out and standing still!
I'll leave today, 'cause there's nothing left to keep me here...
I'll fade away; I'll turn my back and disappear.
The city moves: lunges up right from the ground,
The seething Earth, it opens up and spits us out.
This vicious child; nature never wanted us!
This vicious child; a cancer burning black into its heart...

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:47 pm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~Iñigo Albion-Alexandré

~~~~~~~~~~~15|Fifth Year|Ravenclaw|Seer

"The best way to keep something bad from happening is to see it ahead of time..."

Iñigo walked into the class, sitting next to Lexine. He listened to the professor tell them the lesson, ready to ask any questions if he had any. Luckily, he had no question to be answered because everything was pretty self explanatory up to that point. It didn't really leave much to be asked quite frankly, or maybe that was just because his mind was understanding virtually everything. But then as he thought about it, he did actually come up with a question from one of the books he actually had been reading at home...wondering if there was any link. "Is the alchemist dream sort of like an optimistic version of Platonic Idealism?" he asked, mainly saying optimistic because they wanted to create the Above in the Below. It seemed related though nonetheless.

"and you can't see it if you refuse to face the possibility."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:24 am
User Image

User ImageUser Image Location: Alchemy (Tuesday 2:00pm – 3:00pm)

Jasper had walked into Alchemy he wasn’t too busy yet with school work then again he hadn’t hit his busiest day. Wednesday was the nightmare day and he wasn’t looking forward to it. Granted it was his doing for taking so many classes. Taking a seat with his friends Jasper listened to the lecture and took detailed notes. He was pretty absorbed into the lecture. The desire of someone coming through in their work was an interesting concept. Alchemy was very much like a religion where you needed to be pure with one’s thoughts. Of course the practical side of it didn’t seem to be too much like that but that didn’t mean parts of it were. Sitting silently he couldn’t think of anything to say and waited to hear the answer to Iñigo question.

With: class... Lexine, Iñigo

Wearing: Hufflepuff Uniform

OOC: ---

You have the intellect of a Ravenclaw,
And the protective spirit of a Gryffindor.
However, if you are sure about being with Alice, then...
Hufflepuff!

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:58 pm
Professor of Alchemy

╔══════════════╗
Alchemy III

╚══════════════╝

”Yes, Iñigo, and no. But, for contributing a unique comparison, twenty points to Ravenclaw. Now,” He paused for a moment, and pondered the best way to explain his reasoning. ”For those of you unfamiliar with Plato's Idealism; the sensible world around you, all that you can taste and touch and smell, is not essentially part of the eternal “Truth.” Meaning, the idea of any thing or person, is the one real "Truth". An apple, in your mind, is round and red and sweet, but the apples you might find, or touch, or eat, are never the same. One apple can't be reflective of every apple, because every apple is different. But the idea of the apple, the preconceived thought and theory behind the apple, is the one true apple. Likewise, no one person can encompass every concept of a human being, and yet, the idea of human being can be used to reflect everyone. And for Plato's Idealism, that concept can be said for everything; for honor, for justice, for love, and happiness. But on a highly mathematical and logical standpoint, based on laws and theorems, and has been the base of the Pythagorean philosophy, a belief that mathematical formulas and proofs (which are essentially ideas) describes the true and accurate nature of all things. For every form found on earth, there is a higher, truer form found on a higher plane, and this higher plane is the realm of true ideas, hence the term, idealism.

“But for alchemists, their search is for the quintessence, for the fifth element. Remember, alchemists don't believe in elements they way that muggles do, they believe everything is made of the four basic elements, water, fire, earth and water, rather than the scientific method or the periodic table of elements. The fifth element, or ether, as it is also known, is the theory of a substance identical to or replicating of, a celestial, or heavenly, body, in medieval times, it was believed to be the very pure essence that the gods breath. That the four elements work within the fifth element, and to recreate it within the four would be, in a way, creating heaven on earth and achieving a profound perfection of all the elements. Perfection of the elements has always been thought necessary to one day achieve quintessence. Unlike Plato's theory, however, the fifth element is a medium through which the world, and the elements, move through, and not just an idea or concept proved through fact or theory. In this sense, the fifth element, the quintessence, can be manipulated in the sensible world, the world we walk, talk, and breathe in, and the result of which would be so pure and infinite, is said to enlighten alchemists with divine epiphany... This is why many of the spells and potions we practice reflect the notion of purity or perfection. But you will learn more about that next year, if you choose to continue taking this class for NEWT's. And before we run out of time, don't forget to read chapter six in your textbooks and be ready to discuss what you've read in our next class.”

Juan Angel Amorocho

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:20 pm
Professor of Alchemy

╔══════════════╗
Alchemy III
Lesson Two: Famous Alchemists

╚══════════════╝

Professor Angel stood from his perched position behind his tidy desk once his students had entered the classroom; he bounded around the edge of his desk to begin the day. As the students settled themselves within their seats, he casually withdrew his wand and offered a simple flick of the wrist. The motionless chalk nestled beside the board jumped with a sudden shock and then began to write.

”Quite possibly the most famous alchemists in history are written on the board. For house points, can anyone give me any examples as to what contributions these historical figures had made to alchemy?”

Dzou Yen (fl. 4th century B.C.)
Nicolas Flamel (c. 1327—c. 1992)
Paracelsus (1493—1541)
Albus Dumbledore (1881—1997)

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:05 pm
x
x
x
x

User Image

x
                                    ████████████████xx ℓεxιηε vαηcε xx███████xxxxlessons in life will be repeated until they are learned.

Fifth Year Prefect | | Fifteen | | Ravenclaw | | Dating Iñigo | | Half-Blood | | Seeker

Lexine walked into alchemy and stared at the names on the board as she took her seat. Blinking a few times, she turned to Professor Angel as he started their lesson. Thinking hard, Lexine put her hand up tentatively. "Well, Nicolas Flamel is the only alchemist known to have created the Philosopher's stone...in turn, he also created the Elixir of Life which lead him to live an extremely long life -- he was around 665 years old when he died." Lexine said, looking up at Professor Angel.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:52 am
Sometimes I feel like I wanna leave this place for good...
Under the ground, I'll live down there without a sound!
And never hear these hissing voices all the same-
I'll disappear, 'cause living makes me feel ashamed.
I must believe there's more above us and below;
I must believe, stranded with this b***h called hope!
It keeps me here when all I wanna do is go;
It keeps me here when all I wanna do is disappear.

User Image
E L E A Z A R
D R A V E N
B R A D L E Y

RavenclawFifth YearHalfbloodAdopted

Eleazar raised his hand. "Paracelsus made contributions to healing as well as alchemy, and he discovered parseltongue. Not much is known about him because of how secretive he was. But his theories challenged common thinking among both magical folk and muggles in medieval times. He was he first to use minerals and metals as medicines, and he also studied the subconscious." He couldn't begin to remember the full name of Paracelsus, so he left it at that.

OOC:
Username

If this is it, all we have and ever will-
If this is it, time is running out and standing still!
I'll leave today, 'cause there's nothing left to keep me here...
I'll fade away; I'll turn my back and disappear.
The city moves: lunges up right from the ground,
The seething Earth, it opens up and spits us out.
This vicious child; nature never wanted us!
This vicious child; a cancer burning black into its heart...

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:44 am
User Image

User ImageUser Image Location: Alchemy (Tuesday 2:00pm - 3:00pm)

Taking a seat Jasper was determined to do well in this class. He'd read the chapter and when he'd done that he went back and read about Nicolas Flamel and Albus Dumbledore. So when it came time to answer what the famous wizards in Alchemy were known for he raised his hand. "Dzou Yen is considered one of the founders of Chinese scientific thought. Credited with refining the theories of the Five Elements and Yin and Yang. Though from what I read his work was lost and the majority of his life is recorded in Sima Qian's Records of the Grand Historian."

With: Class...

Wearing: Hufflepuff Uniform

OOC: ---

You have the intellect of a Ravenclaw,
And the protective spirit of a Gryffindor.
However, if you are sure about being with Alice, then...
Hufflepuff!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:35 pm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~Iñigo Albion-Alexandré

~~~~~~~~~~~15|Fifth Year|Ravenclaw|Seer

"The best way to keep something bad from happening is to see it ahead of time..."

Iñigo walked into class, wondering what they would be talking about in class. They were talking about Alchemy of course, but what about it? When the professor pointed at the board, he showed them four famous alchemists, to which his girlfriend had said one...Jasper said one...and Eleazar said the other. Albus Dumbledore was the last and Iñigo only remembered that he did work with Flamel, but no way was he just going to say that. That was a stupid answer...what else did he do? What contributions did he make to society beside being one of the most famous wizards in all of history? He knew of other contributions, but just not on Alchemy, and because of this, he stayed completely silent, which wasn't hard at all. Looking around, he looked to see if any of the others had an answer.

"and you can't see it if you refuse to face the possibility."

RedEagleEye007

Shadowy Phantom

8,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:03 am
Professor of Alchemy

╔══════════════╗
Alchemy III
Lesson Three: Expono

╚══════════════╝

As the professor of alchemy entered the classroom, he ushered a simple wave of his wand to create a flutter of his handwriting to appear on the chalkboard at the front of the class. All around, the flutter of wings from caged pixies rustled around the class. Striding diligently across the rows of desks and chairs, Angel reached the front of his class and turned to meet his students. ”To dissuade the callous and greedy of heart from discovering the truths behind alchemy, and it’s because of those paranoid wizards that we have spells like Expono to help identify what type of man you may be dealing with during experiments and collaborations...

“This spell is quite exhausting and requires a keen sense of mind, but the wand movements and pronunciation are quite simple in comparison. A simple and gentle tap on the left temple of their head with your wand, and then guide the tip down towards the heart (without touching the victim) as you recite the incantation, ex-poe-NU.

"The trick is to imagine yourself in the darkness, you can't see who your facing, but you know they're there, so use every bit of information you've ever seen or heard from them to help shift their body into the form that best represents their motives, their ambition in life, the animal, the color, the feeling that best describes them. All of this, will lead you to an illusion cast over the victim that's intricately tied to the one who cast the spell. It's always hard to decipher the meaning of these illusions, because of that fact. It's very rare for the same outcome to appear when two different wizards practice the spell on the same target, so, you'll have to feel it in your guts to understand. Because everyone's perception of good, and evil, and love and hate is very, very different. Which is what makes this spell very controversial in modern day times.

"Once you've completed your reading on the chapter, you may begin practicing with the caged pixies set up in each corner of the class. I do suggest, however, you either freeze the pixie or try to stun him, to be able to properly perform the spell. Take notes on what you see, be as detailed as possible, once you've finished, turn your notes in to me and then you're dismissed. ”

The board
turn to page 13 in your textbooks

Juan Angel Amorocho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:52 pm
x
x
x
x

User Image

x

Lexine took her seat in Alchemy and started taking notes as soon as Professor Angel started talking. She stopped every once in a while to either study the board or the Professor himself, but she was somehow getting all the information despite only half paying attention to what was going on. They were learning Expono which was going to be...interesting, in the least. Lexine was definitely sceptical, after all, as Professor Angel said himself, 'everyone's perception of good, and evil, and love, and hat is very, very different'. Two people could perceive someone very differently. Of course, that was why the spell was very controversial, wasn't it?

After she finished all of her notes, Lexine took a piece of parchment and walked over to one of the corners of the room. She stared at the pixie for a moment before murmuring
                                                "Stupefy...," Before taking out her wand and touching the tip of her wand to her temple and murmuring "Expono...," As she drew it toward her heart. The only thing Lexine could see was flashes of gold and black and violet. That means...it's bad...right? Lexine drew in a breath and wrote down what she saw. There was really nothing more other than the colours, so she turned the paper in to Professor Angel.

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:59 pm
Professor of Alchemy

╔══════════════╗
Alchemy III

╚══════════════╝

Striding diligently across the rows of desks and chairs, Angel reached the front of his class and turned to meet his students. ”Welcome back, hope your summer was well. Welcome to Alchemy III, I am Professor Juan Angel Amorocho, call me Professor Angel, or just professor is fine. Today, we’re going to learn about the desires of an alchemist during the boom of the renaissance. Now, during the renaissance era is when the height of a prolonged lifestyle sparked birth, along with the desire to be rich and famous. So, of course, there had always been a search for a stone which could convert ordinary metals to gold, immortality for the spirit and soul, and the creation of artificial life.

“Now, unbeknownst to many alchemists, the true reasons behind the study of alchemy was not only for science, but for spiritual ambition as well. Alchemists believe that there is a quintessence, where the Above can be created in the Below, thus, heaven on earth in spirit and mind. So, with that in mind, there was only a very small percentage of alchemists true to the ideal of discovering the truth of alchemy, which is why in ancient texts, it can be impossible to discern which ingredients is being used because of the basic, generic terms used for each items.

“An alchemist must engage his studies with a pure heart if his desire is to achieve spiritual perfection and immortality. Essentially, you can almost call it a religion, and the quintessence, heaven. But you will only be learning practical alchemy in this class, but there is a genuine scientific merriment to the philosophical aspect of alchemy. Which, I can explain very simply with this quote from an unknown alchemist.... Now, are there any questions?”

Quote:
“Would to God . . . all men might become adepts in our Art -- for then gold, the great idol of mankind, would lose its value, and we should prize it only for its scientific teaching.”

Juan Angel Amorocho

Fifth Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas