Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Legend of the Five Rings - Time for War Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit
Paidi tou Selini rolled 3 10-sided dice: 5, 10, 3 Total: 18 (3-30)

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:12 pm
2cp for Distinguished Ancestor 'cause I'm too afraid to make the free roll.  
BegrudginglyGood rolled 1 10-sided dice: 7 Total: 7 (1-10)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:32 am
Heritage Roll 1

Result: Distinguished Past  

BegrudginglyGood

BegrudginglyGood rolled 1 10-sided dice: 7 Total: 7 (1-10)

BegrudginglyGood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 am
Heritage Table 3: Distinguished Past

Result: A Hero's End. Go to Table 3B - Glorious Death.  
BegrudginglyGood rolled 1 10-sided dice: 3 Total: 3 (1-10)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:34 am
Table 3B - Glorious Death.

Result: Combating the Shadowlands

Your ancestor was renowned for his fearlessness. Gain one rank of any Bugei Skill. Gain +10 on all rolls to resist fear effects from Shadowlands creatures.  

BegrudginglyGood

BegrudginglyGood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:46 am
I think the points are correct, I am unsure of the new mounted TN, if I have enough currency for my gear, and if the attack/damage is right. I hope the rest is okay.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Player: BegrudginglyGood
Name: Utaku Ayano of the Hyuga family
Clan: Unicorn
School: Utaku Battle Maiden School
Insight: 163
Experience: 125/125 (45 + 80)
Glory: 1
Honor: 3.5
Taint: 0
Heritage: Distinguished Past / A Hero's End / Combating the Shadowlands
Your ancestor was renowned for their fearlessness. Gain one rank of any Bugei Skill (Defense). Gain +10 on all rolls to resist fear effects from Shadowlands creatures.

EARTH: 3
  • Stamina: 3
  • Willpower: 3

WATER: 3
  • Strength: 3
  • Perception: 3

FIRE: 2
  • Agility: 3 (+1 from Utaku Family)
  • Intelligence: 2

AIR: 3
  • Reflexes: 3 (+1 from Utaku Battle Maiden School)
  • Awareness: 3

VOID:
  • Void: 2
  • Current Void Points: 2

SKILLS
Etiquette (Awareness) - [Conversation/Sincerity/Bureaucracy] - 3
Defense (Reflexes) - [Armored] - 2__(2nd rank from Heritage)
Kyujutsu (Reflexes) - [Horse Archery/Yomanri/Yumi] - 3__Ignore +10 penalty from being on horseback. Riding in Harmony means I roll an extra die, and if mounted, keep an extra die.
Horesemanship (Agility) - [Warhorse/Utaku Steed/Pony/Horse] - 5__Riding in Harmony means I roll an extra die, and if mounted, keep an extra die.
Kenjutsu (Agility) - [Katana/Wakizashi/Scimitar/Ninja-to/No-dachi] - 5__Riding in Harmony means I roll an extra die, and if mounted, keep an extra die.
Battle (Perception) - [Skirmish/Mass Combat/Battle: Lore/Specific enemy 1/Specific enemy 2] - 5
Hunting (Perception) - [Survival/Tracking/Trailblazing] - 4
Athletics (Strength) - [Climbing/Swimming/Running] - 3
Medicine (Intelligence) - [Wound Treatment/Antidote/Disease] - 3

MASTERY ABILITIES
Kenjutsu 5 - You may now spend an additional void point on a single damage roll.
Kyujutsu 3 - Reduce range penalties by 5
Battle 5 - Once per combat, you may make a Ref/Bat roll vs TN 20 after you or a comrade strikes an enemy successfully. If you succeed, roll one die and add it to your initiative.
Horsemanship 1 - You can fight whilst mounted
Horsemanship 3 - You may use Full Attack and Full Defense postures whilst mounted.
Horsemanship 5 - Your steed uses your TN to Be Hit, if it is higher.
Etiquette 3 - You add + 5 to your Contested Social Skill Rolls.

ADVANTAGES
Quick Healer (2) - Use stamina + 2 for healing
Absolute Direction (1) - Always knows where north is, unless more than 2 days into the Shadowlands

DISADVANTAGES
Can't Lie (3)

TECHNIQUES, SPELLS, KATA, KIHO, SHADOWLANDS POWERS
Riding in Harmony
Add water ring to TNtbH at all times. (added)
Select three Bugei skills, roll one additional die when using these, and when mounted, keep an additional die as well.

The Void of War
Add Air Ring to the total of all attack rolls. (added)
At the beginning of combat round, you may choose to exchange your Initiative and TNtbH for the duration of that round.

EQUIPMENT/CURRENCY
Katana
Wakizashi
Shinjo Horsebow and 20 arrows (Willow leaf - 2k2)
Standard Riding Armor - ancestral armor
Kimono and sandals
War mask
Lucky charm
Traveling Pack - Blanket, Daisho Stand, Finger of Jade, Small Tent, spare Kimono and sandals, Grooming tools
7 Day's worth of rations
Utaku steed

Currency = ?

COMBAT
Weapons
Katana - 7k2+3 on foot or 7k3+3 on horseback - 5k2
Wakizashi - 6k2+3 on foot or 6k3+3 on horseback - 4k2
Shinjo Horsebow - 7k3+3 on foot or 7k4+6 on horseback - 4k2

Armor
TN To Be Hit = {Reflexes x 5 + Armor + Defense x2 + Other Modifiers}
= 3 x 5 + 8+ 4 + 3 = 30 on foot / 36 whilst mounted (?)
Other Modifiers = Riding Armor [ 8 ], Defense [4], Rank 1:Riding in Harmony [3]

Initiative
5k3

Wounds
HEALTHY (+0): 0/6
NICKED (+3): 0/6
GRAZED (+5): 0/6
HURT (+10): 0/6
INJURED (+15): 0/6
CRIPPLED (+20): 0/6
DOWN (+40): 0/6
OUT (+N/A): 0/15

DESCRIPTION

Will add soon.

BACKGROUND

Place of Birth: Egami Mura, Unicorn Lands
Current home: Shinjo Utaku Shojo (Battle Maiden Castle)
Gempukku age: 13

Notable events in her life:
  • Death of her grandmother (age 52) when she was an infant
  • Birth of Hira
  • Death of her mother (age 38 ) when she was 12 years old
  • Gempukku graduation at 13 years old, receives family Riding Armor and sword
  • Continued training at Shinjo Utaku Shojo
  • Fought at the battle of

Famous Ancestor: During the XXXXX battle with the Shadowlands, Ayano's grandmother (Utaku Umi, Battle Maiden) passed away after sustaining fatal wounds during combat, at the age of 52. She was rumored to have remained behind with a handful of other Battle Maidens, knowing that it would most likely lead to their deaths. They covered the retreat of their fellow bushi, among who was Umi's daughter, after getting ambushed.
With her Utaku steed slain, sorrow and rage had consumed her, as she continued to fight on foot not leaving her horses side, sustaining many wounds before finally succumbing. Her actions saved the lives of many men and women that day, and showed the true spiritual connection and emotion between Utaku horse and rider.

Having witnessed the death of her mother, Utaku Osana is said to have brought Umi's body home. Where it received full honors and a proper burial.

Wearing her mothers armor into battle, it is said that Osana had the fearlessness and courage of her mother, as if the armor itself had been imbued with the spirit of the slain Battle Maiden.

With the passing of her mother, Utaku Osana, just a year before Ayano's gempukku, it fueled the young child's devotion to completing her adulthood trials a year earlier than normal. Upon the successful completion of her gempukku, Utaku Ayano was presented with her first sword, and her mother/grandmothers riding armor, which has become a family heirloom handed down to the daughter upon the death of the wearer. Bearing the Unicorn Clan mon, Utaku Family mon, and her vassal family, the Hyuga, mon, she carried the honor of her family in high regard.

Ayano also carries a small plait of her horses mane, and two dice in a small pouch that hangs from her oni, these are very special to her, and have been good luck bringers during her life. The dice symbolize luck with wealth, and the horse hair is there to show how blessed she has been with her Utaku mount, and her family. Keeping the pouch closed and secured is a purple ribbon that she wore in her hair during her gempukku. She never speaks about these items, but she will always carry them with her.

Utaku Battle Steed - Hira
Air 2
Earth 3
Fire 2
Water 3

Agility 4
Strength 6

Kick attack to hit: 4k3
Kick damage: 6k3
TN to be Hit: 10 (15 at a gallop) < -- Horsemanship 5: TNtbH = 30
Wounds per wound level: 12

Riders gain one Free Raise with any action that uses the Horsemanship skill

Horses use their Strength to determine movement rather than their Water Ring.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 am
I've added a background as requested. Nothing special since I'm no good at them.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:47 am
Honor 6 is not mechanically possible in 3rd Edition Revised. If I remember right, the Emperor alone gets 5.9 honor. Otherwise it looks like you're using the right book though.

You'll want to note the three skills you're choosing for Riding In Harmony, since you'll be getting +1k1 in them most of the time (and +1k0 when not mounted) so you can use it to either buff up the school skill you're not as strong on, or to really focus on some favorites.

If you found a way to afford Riding Armor (normally 60 koku) I want to know so I can have it too. According to my math you should have 25 TNtbH if you have Light Armor. If you have Riding Armor you should have 28 while on foot, and 34 while mounted. 15 from reflexes, 2 from your one rank of defense, and 3 from Riding in Harmony.

Don't forget that you get +3 to your attack rolls from your Air Ring and Void of War!

I'll give a hand with masteries later.

And what trait am I putting next to Shogi? Intelligence, Awareness? Perception?

Edit: Sincerity is also a skill from 4th edition. You'd want Etiquette, it's the equivalent, plus a little more utility.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:05 am
Awareness for games smile Looks like Harumoro's going to be the only go player sad  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

xX_Terei_Xx

Questionable Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:20 am
Rain Yupa
If you don't want a complicated character, don't play a complicated character razz

If you are a Suzume Bushi who foresake your oath and duty to your Lord, you'd still probably have gotten the first rank in the Suzume Bushi school. Of course, you could have simply abandoned your clan and training from before it was complete and be a straight-up Ronin. You wouldn't have a family name though.

As for the Ronin Bushi schools, I'm not sure if I understood your question right. But you can take ranks in Ronin Warrior, Ronin Duelist, or Ronin Yojimbo freely, without needing the Multiple School advantage. The only restriction is that you must get every one in order. So you can't go Warrior 1 then Yojimbo 2. Only Warrior 2, or Yojimbo 1, or Duelist 1.

Pssh. Complicated helps me learn ;D

I will probably be going with the second one, then. That means any last name I want, right?
Although I may just have him go by his first name to leave his family out of his choice.

x.e Oh, yep. It looks like I read, but I don't read well. I will note that to myself.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:27 am
As for what you'll be seeing in Masteries, they're listed under the skills in the book, but here's a breakdown for your current skill ranks.

Horsemanship: Rank 1- You can fight while mounted, and may have one emphasis.
Rank 3- You may use the Full Attack and Full Defense stances while mounted. You may have 3 emphasis in this skill (total, not additive).
Rank 5- Your steed uses your TNtbH if it is higher. You gain +2 Insight for your mastery of this skill, and gain a Free Raise when using it. You may now have five emphasis.

Kenjutsu: Rank 1- You may have one emphasis.
Rank 3- You may have 3 emphasis in this skill (total, not additive).
Rank 5- You may now spend an additional Void Point on damage when using a sword. You gain +2 Insight for your mastery of this skill, and gain a Free Raise when using it. You may now have five emphasis.

Battle: Rank 1- You may have one emphasis.
Rank 3- You may have 3 emphasis in this skill (total, not additive).
Rank 5- Once per battle you may make a Reflexes/Battle roll vs TN20 after you or a comrade strikes an enemy successfully. If you succeed, roll one die and add it to your Initiative. You gain +2 Insight for your mastery of this skill, and gain a Free Raise when using it. You may now have five emphasis.

The Rank 1 and Rank 3 bits you see repeated regarding number of emphasis apply to all skills, so I'm not going to list them for the skills which don't have their own individual mastery benefits. The five emphasis, +2 insight, and free raise apply to any skill you get to level 5 for future reference as well. You can list all of the universal masteries if you want or it'll help you remember, but I doubt Rain is going to require we put them up.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

DeathAdams

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:42 am
Psyco, can you analyze my profile?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:46 pm
I can, if no one else has, but I've got dinner and some other things first, and Rain will probably still go over it ultimately. I'm not really an off GM or anything so best I can do is be helpful until he actually audits it for you.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:28 pm
Callsigncaboose
Player:Caboose
Name: Juri Bayushi (Hida)
Clan: Scorpion
School: Shosuro Shinobi
Insight:133
Experience:
Glory:
Honor:.5
Taint:
Heritage: Duel- +2 Kenjutsu

EARTH: 2
  • Stamina:2
  • Willpower:2

WATER: 2
  • Strength:2
  • Perception:2

FIRE: 3
  • Agility:3 (+1 Family Bonus)
  • Intelligence:3

AIR: 3
  • Reflexes:4(+1 School Bonus)
  • Awareness:4

VOID: 3
  • Void:3
  • Current Void Points:3

SKILLS
Athletics (Various) - [] – 1
Deceit (Awareness) - [] - 3
Defense (Agility) - [] - 1
Kenjutsu (Agility) - [] - 3
Ninja Ranged Weapons (Reflexes) - [] - 2
Stealth (Agility) - [Sneaking] - 3
Underworld (Intelligence) - [] - 1
Knives (Agility) - [] - 2
Poison (Intelligence) - [] -4
Meditation (Void) - 4
Jijitsu (Agility)- (4)
Forgery (Intelligence) 1
MASTERY ABILITIES
{Insert whatever bonuses certain skills give you here}

ADVANTAGES
{Wary} 5 Pt
{Heartless} 2pt
{Dangerous Beauty} 2 Pt
{Abidexterous} 4 pts
{Ally –Devotion} 2
((OOC: Since she's technically crab, and not as I thought, Scorpion)) {Crabhands} -6pts
DISADVANTAGES
{Dark Fate} -3 points
{Sworn Enemy} -3 Points
{Bitter Betrothal} -2 Points
{Bad Reputation} -2 Points

TECHNIQUES, SPELLS, KATA, KIHO, SHADOWLANDS POWERS
{The Shadow Has no Mask}
{Insert Ability here}
{Insert Ability here}
{Insert Ability here}
{Insert Ability here}

EQUIPMENT/CURRENCY
{Dark Clothing}
{Kimono and Sandals}
{Travelling Pack}
{3 koku, 3 bu, 3 zen}
{Blanket}
{Chopsticks}
{Backpack}
{Finger of Jade}
{Grapplehook}
{Pet: Monkey}-Named Zigou, Capouchin Monkey
{Tatami Mat}
{Personal Chop} Lotus Flower, with Scorpion stings for the external five petals
{3 different bottles of perfume} Lotus, Rose, and Cherry Blossom
{Mask}-Black, Unadorned
{Mask}-Silk, Red

COMBAT
Weapons
{Wakizashi} - {Roll to Attack} - {2k2} - {Quality} - {No two handed penalty if Ambidexterous}
{Ninja-to} - {Roll to Attack} - {2k2} - {Quality} - {Free Raise to Conceal with Sleight of hand}
{Sai} - {Roll to Attack} - {1k1} - {Quality} - {Free Raise on Disarm, 2 Free if the sword isn't a no-daichi}
{Tanto} - {Roll to Attack} - {1k1} - {Quality} - {Free Raise to Conceal with Sleight of hand}
{Shurieken}-{10} - {Roll to Attack} - {1k1} - {Quality} - {Special Abilities}

Armor - Ashigaru
TN To Be Hit = {3x 5 + 3 + Other Modifiers}
Other Modifiers = {List them here}

Initiative
{3 + 1} k {3}

Wounds
HEALTHY (+0): 0/4
NICKED (+3): 0/4
GRAZED (+5): 0/4
HURT (+10): 0/4
INJURED (+15): 0/4
CRIPPLED (+20): 0/4
DOWN (+40): 0/4
OUT (+N/A): 0/10

DESCRIPTION
Like most of the Bayushi family, Juri is a shining example of what can happen when incredible beauty meets the training of death. She's cold, seemingly heartless, and has a nasty reputation for being a condescending young lady. However, most of this bitterness comes from her marriage to a lovely young lad from the Hida Family. Their conflicting personalities are destructive to their home and family. On top of that, Juri insists on still going by her Family name, rather than her husbands. They constantly fight for dominance in the family, and her son is cared for by the servants since neither of them want to give up their duties to their clans.
However, she does take to superstition easily, following both the superstitions of her clan and that of the Crab clan. And to top it all off, she doesn't have respect from her family since her choice of hairstlye and school is not expected of the Bayushi family. She keeps her hair short, to keep honest with herself about her affair with a bushi from the Moto family, though the details of said affair she keeps to herself, especially the fact that she's in love with a Unicorn "barbarian" as her parents called them.
  • According to my math you've spend 145 points, not the alloted 125 (technically 45 of those are CP and the rest XP, but as long as you use only CP on advantages it shouldn't change the math any). You'll need to shave off about 20 points somewhere. Keep in mind that you've got a lot of advantages, but they're cheaper to buy now than to buy later, and that each rank of something grows more expensive. Those rank 4s in skills cost 4xp each, and each of those rank 4s in your traits costs 16.
  • You have your Air Ring marked as 3. It'll be a 4 as long as Awareness and Reflexes are both 4.
  • Fixing your xp expenditures will alter this, but I'm calculating you at 169 Insight right now, which puts you at Insight rank 2 and means you can get rank two of the Shosuro School if you like. It'd give you a bunch of benefits, including +6 to your TNtbH when you're not wearing armor; twice as much bonus as your Ashigaru armor gives you.
  • Don't forget that your 3rd rank in Jiujutsu gives you a neat mastery bonus, and lets you roll (but not keep) an extra die on your jiujutsu damage!
  • Your TNtbH should be getting 4x5 for your Reflexes, and you forgot to add twice your ranks in defense to it! That gives you 25 while wearing the Ashigaru armor, or 28 if you take Shosuro 2 and drop the armor to use your school benefit.
  • Insight 2 and Reflexes 4 will make that initiative roll a 6k4!
  • Add your strength (2) to the dice rolled (but not kept) for all your melee items' damage. I'm not sure if it applies when throwing or not.
  • Your dice rolled on your attacks will be equal to your Agility+Weapon Skill for melee attacks, and Reflexes+Weapon Skill for your throwing attacks, and your dice kept will be equal to the trait for the type of attack. You also roll one extra die on all of them due to Crab Hands. So, for example, you'd be rolling 6k3 to stab someone with your tanto, or 7k4 to throw your tanto at them.
  • Unless Rain notes otherwise, standard starting Glory is 1.0, Status 1.0, and Taint is 0.0.
  • We're in an oriental setting, so traditionally your family name (Bayushi) comes before your personal name! This is as a part of the importance placed on family and relationships, their importance is shown/honored by coming before your name, so it WILL be noticed IC if you put your personal name first when the character is writing or speaking her name.

Also, I haven't run your items/money, but it looks like you have a lot of spare to spend from that 20 koku if you want it! Can't fault the Finger of Jade choice though.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:37 pm
BegrudginglyGood
Table 3B - Glorious Death.

Result: Killed in a Duel. Gain 1 Rank Iaijutsu and three Character Points.

According to the Heritage Table, 3 on Glorious Death is "Combating the Shadowlands".  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:39 pm
xX_Terei_Xx
That means any last name I want, right?
Although I may just have him go by his first name to leave his family out of his choice.

x.e Oh, yep. It looks like I read, but I don't read well. I will note that to myself.

You... really don't have a family name if you're Ronin (there ARE recognized Ronin families, but you're not part of one of those). You'd be going by your given name only.

If you're a ronin and you keep calling yourself by a family name that you don't belong to, that is a grave insult to the family and word would probably get back to them, and they would hunt you down. And/or put a bounty on your head for your capture.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff