Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply First Year Classes
Charms I ~ *Lesson 1/5* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:45 am
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
Hold me close enough to breathe me in...
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-
Of the night in which we lay beside

User Image
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

BLOOD TRAITORFORMER HUFFLEPUFFCHARMS PROFESSOR

Elsie sat at her desk, marking down each student for attendance as they entered the classroom, and waited until most of the seats were filled before rising from her seat, textbook in one hand, wand in the other. "Accio homework," she said cheerfully, collecting the papers, and turned to the correct page in the book as she wrote REPARO - THE MENDING CHARM on the board in bright red chalk. "Good morning everyone! Today we'll be learning about and attempting the mending charm, which should prove extremely useful to you over the course of your years at school." The blonde witch remembered being a gawky teen herself, and the sheer number of things she'd broken by either forgetting she'd left them somewhere, tripping over them... it went on.

"The mending charm was invented by a resourceful witch named Orabella Nuttley, who worked for the Ministry of Magic as a member of the Improper Use of Magic Office in the 1750s. When the Colosseum- yes, the one in Rome- was accidentally destroyed by magic, she created this charm to repair it. When cast effectively this spell can do amazing things- restore houses after natural disasters like earthquakes or floods, repair roads and bridges, and so forth. Obviously today we'll be practicing on a much smaller scale," Elsie added reassuringly.

"Reparo will return any broken object to its former state, and works on most everything.... with the exception of cursed or enchanted objects. However, and this is very important, so I want you all taking notes- this charm can only be used on inanimate objects. You cannot cast it on a person or animal. It won't work properly and you could scar someone terribly. Now, the pronunciation is reh-PAH-roh, and the incantation means 'to repair'." The professor turned back to the board, and sketched the wand movement of the charm:

User Image

"I have a number of broken items up here in this box on my desk- teacups, spoons and forks, plates, eyeglasses, latches... Come up and pick out something, and then you can get to work practicing."

OOC:
Username

I held every inch of you...
I wrote every line for you...
I made time when time was all but gone.
You’re the love I’ve always known-
The night’s so dark and grey;
But you’ve helped me find my way.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:01 pm
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-

User Image
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

It was Tuesday morning, which marked Elsie's second day of classes. Luckily, her only class today was the first years, and if she'd handled the second and fifth year yesterdays, she was sure she'd be fine. She rearranged her desk for the millionth time, made sure the door hadn't swung shut on her, and began to write on the board as students began to file inside; the 8 o'clock bell was sure to begin to toll within a minute or two, marking the beginning of the first period of classes.

When she was done writing she turned to face the class, wiping a bit of errant chalk dust off of her jeans. In one corner of the board the class rules were neatly outlined; in another the homework assignment, in yet another the supply list, and in the final corner, a doodle that looked like it had been scrawled by a student and smudged over. In the center WHAT IS A CHARM? was written in bright yellow chalk, and underlined. Twice.

"Good morning everyone," Elsie said brightly, hoping she didn't sound condescending or as if she expected them all to chorus 'good morning' back. "I hope you enjoyed your first day of classes yesterday. This is Charms, and I will be your Charms instructor for the rest of your time here. My name is Professor Shoichet. I have a list with all of your names, but I'd like to put names to faces, so if you could all go around the room and tell me who you are and your house, that would be excellent. No need to stand, just be loud and clear. And ten points to the house of anyone who can tell me what a charm is while they're at it, alright? The tall blonde woman sat rather casually on the desk, long legs easily touching the floor, as she went down the list with her wand, looking up at the sound of each student's voice.

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Trickblues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:30 pm
User Image
JONAH LANE
RavenclawFirst YearEleven Years Old

═══════════════════XXXX═══════════════════

Early morning classes were the worst, Jonah decided as he dragged himself into the charms classroom after nearly falling asleep in his breakfast at the great hall, just as the bell rang. He was so excited about classes that he had stayed up until the wee hours of the morning thumbing through each of his text books, the dark rings under his eyes proof of his studies. Thank god he had gotten some coffee.

He took a seat and got his area organized before attempting to pat down his tousled hair while names were being called. When it was his turn to introduce himself he perked up, an answer set in his head. “My name’s Jonah Lane, and I’m in Ravenclaw. A charm is… Something that changes the properties of an object, but not its shape. Like… If you turned a tulip from red to yellow that would be a charm, but if you turned the tulip into a book, it wouldn’t be.”

═════════════════════════════════════════════

Status
When // Fall 2042
Where // Charms Class
With // First Years
Feeling // Exhausted
Thinking // Why am I spouting off about tulips..?

OOC:
Username

Hm, a curious mind, an adventurous spirit!
Oh, you could do so well in so many places, my boy
Legacy or not, I see you going far
But, let's see then... I think, for you, it'll be

Ravenclaw!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:55 pm
The sky we’re looking at today

♪♫ Sonora Li
first year || Ravenclaw || halfblood

Sonora was awake much later than usual that morning, thanks to staying up late for Astronomy the night before. She'd skipped breakfast, reviewing her schedule and trying to figure out a way to get sleep and breakfast for next time the entire way to the charms classroom. Thankfully, she arrived early enough to get organized and review her jottings in the margins of A Standard Book of Spells before Professor Shoichet started class. She had been glad Charms was the first class in the morning--she thought it meant she'd always have a fresh mind for it-- but that was before she experience what staying up for Astronomy felt like the night before.

Sonora waved a little when Jonah dragged himself into the classroom--he looked like how she felt last night. That's right-- I should ask if he'd like to review Astronomy notes together, she mused. I don't think I was awake enough to hear half of it....ah, but it's only the second day of school. It'll be fine.

But when it was her turn to speak up, she filed the musings away for later and spoke up clearly. "Sonora Li, Ravenclaw House." She'd agreed with Jonah's definition and example, but she'd understood it a different way as well: "A charm could also be understood simply as a type of spell, usually nondestructive?"

QUOTING

could be brighter tomorrow.

addaellis

CEOxJOE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:01 pm
User Image

Alex had arrived later than he had hoped but from what he could tell he wasn't late at all. Today was the first day of class and there are still a few seats open. He looked around and saw a good many seats available. Alex picked the seat that open next to a girl that looks like she was in Ravenclaw . He walked to the desk that was free and available.

The class started and everyone was introducing themselves as well what house they're in. He noticed Jonah is in Reven Claw and everyone was explaining what a charm is. He noticed it was his turn to speak. "Hey everyone, I'm Alexander Mason from the Hufflepuff House. Two students already gave good answers, I'll try though. People mistake charms with transfiguration, where charms focus on what the object does as transfiguration focuses on what the object is. "

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:23 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Eiji Clarke
1st Year | Half-Blood | Hufflepuff

Eiji skipped into class with a happy grin. He waved at Alexander then flopped into an empty seat. Eiji pulled out his text book and set it on his desk upsides down. He pulled out a sugar quill, ink, and parchment next. He left his wand in his bag because he doubted he's need it yet. After all it was only the second class.

Eiji nodded along with the others responses before it was his turn. "I'm Eiji!" He exclaimed. "Eiji Clarke and I'm a Puff. All those answers seem legit but... everyone's forgetting a charm can do more then just change colors. A charm can effect items, people, etc. more then just appearance." Eiji said with delight. "You can charm a teapot to dance but it's still a teapot. Get it?" He giggled. "A charm can even be a small ornament worn on a necklace or bracelet. But I think that's too muggle a definition and not what Prof. was asking for."

OOC: -

When | Fall 2042
Where | Charms class
With | Fellow 1st years
Feeling | Giddy

shadow_the_kit

Cluttered Phantom

12,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:11 pm
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-

User Image
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

Elsie smiled approvingly as the answers to her question rang out from multiple students. "Thank you all! Jonah, Sonora, Alexander, and Eiji are all correct. That will be 20 points to Ravenclaw, and 20 points to Hufflepuff. To quote Jonah, a charm changes the properties of an object, without changing its basic form or mass. Charms can also be cast upon living things, such as the Silencing Charm, for example, although you should never cast a charm, or really any type of spell, on another person or animal without having prepared to do so first. Charms are typically seen as 'light', harmless, magic, but they can be easily just as destructive as curses if used improperly. Another example, the Confundus Charm, if overused, can permanently impair someone's mental state."

She clasped her hands together. "Generally, when a charm has long-lasting effects, we refer to its target as 'bewitched'. For example a priceless artefact might be 'bewitched' with a Concealment Charm to be invisible to the naked eye, and brooms are often 'bewitched' with a Cushioning Charm for a more comfortable seat. Charms are very versatile forms of magic- they can be very simple and mundane, such as a Colour Change Charm, or incredibly complex and potentially dangerous, such as a Memory Charm. Charms is a very precise discipline, and you must be very focused, mindful of your pronunciation, and precise with your wand movements to cast a charm correctly, as they often backfire on the caster."

OOC:
shadow_the_kit

CEOxJOE

addaellis

Trickblues

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:53 pm
Kaden "Kaycee" Cornick
first year | slytherin | muggle-born

Kaden slid in the back of the class late, as he had a really hard time finding his way around in the castle. He just hoped that no one noticed... Today he was more observing than anything: So far he had been filled up with tons of information that had gone right over his head, so he was hesitant to speak up in class in case he might make a fool of himself. He had to at least introduce himself, though. "Um, hello Miss," he started, then caught himself. They were called Professor here. "Hello, Professor. My name is Kaden Cornick, I'm in Slytherin," he said, staying in his seat and not offering up anything else. One: he hoped she hadn't realized he'd come in late and Two: he didn't know a bloody thing about Charms, so he thought it was best to leave that to someone who had already studied.

The Forgotten Weasley

xo-SkittleFairy-ox

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:12 am
User Image
❃Vespera❃Salazar❃
User ImageFirst Year SlytherinUser Image
▬▬"Just as there are two sides to every story, there are two sides to every person. " ▬▬

Vespera sat down in charms and said softly, "I'm vespera Salazar, Slytherin. " That was all she had spoken, as she began listening to the professor talk about charms. She wrote down the lecture and hoped to learn the color changing charm, it would be useful to change colors of clothes, if something was cute and pink, she could make it cute and blue, which would be much better. She frowned when hearing about the charm backfiring, that did not sound pleasant.

▬▬ "Within each of us is the capacity for both good and evil." ▬▬

Where: Charms
With Whom: SFirst years
Thinking about: charms
Vespera Description: Short 4' even, blond hair, green eyes and slight tan.
Wearing: school robes
OOC: Open for Interaction

_____

_____

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:03 pm

Eiji Clarke
1st Year | Half-Blood | Hufflepuff

Eiji grinned and quickly jotted down all what the Professor had said. He grinned at the idea of a tickling charm back-firing. That seemed hysterical. He knew the Professor was trying to show them how dangerous spells could be, especially if done wrong, but Eiji could help but think of the funny consequence of a spell gone wrong as well.

Eiji waved with a cocky grin at the two late students then focused back on the Professor. He doubted they'd be covering any memory charms any time soon but he hoped they be covering concealment and revealing charms this year. The idea of being able to write and hide secret messages with friends seemed fun!

OOC: -

When | Fall 2042
Where | Charms Class
With | 1st Years
Feeling | Excited

shadow_the_kit

Cluttered Phantom

12,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:34 am
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-

User Image
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

Elsie was thrilled to be teaching the first years their first official charm today; she was glad she didn't teach a subject that was all lecture, like History of Magic. She wanted to be able to actually see them learning. Once they'd taken their seats and she was done taking attendance, she rose from her desk. "Good morning everyone! Today you will be learning about, and attempting, your very first charm." She nodded to the board behind her, where Wingardium Leviosa was written in neat cursive.

"Before we begin the lesson, let's briefly go over the homework assignment- you should have read up on the four essentials of casting a charm successfully." Textbook in hand, she walked up and down between the desks as she went over the reading. "First, you must focus on your objective when casting any spell. If you are distracted or not paying proper attention to your target, the spell will either fail entirely, backfire onto you, or give you less than stellar results. This is especially important in stressful situations, such as when you are defending yourself or trying to help someone. Second, your wand movements must be precise. Charms is a delicate branch of magic. Many charms will not function properly if the wand was flicked or swirled wildly. Thirdly, you must stress syllables properly. Not pronouncing a charm correctly or slurring or stammering the words is one of the most common reasons for a charm to fail. Finally, visualization, not to be confused with concentration. Technically, you can cast a charm without visualizing it, but it certainly helps to have an idea of what you want to achieve. See it to believe it, to speak," she laughed, and then snapped the book shut, approaching the board once more.

"Right then, if you are all prepared, let's go over the levitation charm, which is what we will be learning today." Chalk in hand, she started to write the charm's definition and lecture simultaneously. "Please take notes, everyone, it will help with your out of class practicing. Simply put, the levitation charm can be used to levitate any object, including, with enough practice and skill, things that a human being would never have the strength to lift on their own, such as heavy furniture, downed trees, vehicles, and so on. The object levitated can be lifted as high as the caster is able to see. The only thing the charm cannot lift is humans- it only effects the clothing worn."

The blonde turned to face the students with a small smile as she recounted the charm's history. "It was created in the sixteenth century by a wizard named Jarleth Hobart, whose goal was to attempt human flight. He failed, and broke sixteen bones for his trouble- as well as a penalty for 'Extraordinary Stupidity' from the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot. However, the charm survived his embarrassment, and is one of the most common, well-known charms in the wizarding world."

Turning back to the board, Elsie sketched the wand movement of the spell:

User Image

"The pronunciation is as follows; Wing-GAR-dee-um levi-O-sa. The incantation essentially means, 'lift up high'. Now, if everyone feels ready, please come up and take a feather from this box on my desk." She indicated the box, containing various feathers of all shapes, sizes, and colors, sitting on the desk beside her.

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:03 pm

♪♫ Sonora Li
Music club || Reserve Keeper

Sonora scribbled notes down diligently as Professor Shoichet talked, adding little drawings to each of the essentials of casting a charm and making note of the limitations to the levitation charm.

When it came time to practice, she offered to the students closest to her to get feathers for all of them. She stared down at her own feather, resting over the feather-drawing she'd doodled in her notes. Jarleth Hobart...you had a noble idea. Today I shall honor your attempt...and tomorrow I shall start to build upon your good work.

With a scrawled note-to-self to look up a biography of Jarleth Hobart and his attempts, she picked up her wand and started practicing the swish and flick. Wing-GAR-dee-um levi-O-sa. Wing-GAR-dee-um levi-O-sa. she mouthed, familiarizing herself with the correct pronunciation until it became second nature. Satisfied she had both motion and pronunciation ready, she imagined the feather lifting gently up and hovering around eye level.

"Wingardium Leviosa." To her delight, the feather hovered. Excitement spread across her face as she moved her wand careful to the right and left, watching with undisguised giddiness as the feather followed obediently.

"Huh I wonder...if it's as high as we can see...is line of sight the limitation? If we had binoculars, could we levitate something even further?" What started as a thought she voiced quietly to the student next to her as she let the feather fall back to the desk so she could practice casting the charm again.

”--”

addaellis

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:32 pm
User Image
❃Vespera❃Salazar❃
▬▬"Just as there are two sides to every story, there are two sides to every person. " ▬▬

Vespera had came in late to charms, again, and began to quickly jot down notes. She wasn't quite sure what they were doing, but judging by the feather the girl next to her had set down, it was something to do with.. well feathers. She carefully watched the girl and saw her swish and flick and mouth something. She nodded to herself and decided to try it, "Wan-Jar-Dee-um Levi-oo-sa" She pronounced diligently with a swish and flick, nothing came out. She frowned, she had defiantly said the syllables wrong. She tried again, and alas nothing happened, even as she tried again, "Wan-Jar-Dee-um Levi-oo-sa."

She watched as the girl next to her successfully levitated the feather. "I imagine you could? Unless it's more of a rope, and you have a certain extension it can reach? Maybe it's something that could be experimented on outside?" She whispered back.

OOC: hope you don't mind smile

addaellis

_____

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:53 am

♪♫ Sonora Li
Music club || Reserve Keeper

Levitating a rope.... The idea of levitating a rope had Sonora immediately reaching for her bag, where she pulled out her little music-paper book that was probably filled with more doodles than music at this point. She made a quick sketch of levitating a rope and eye hook to the top of a mountain before setting the book aside to resume practice.

"Right, levitating rope." Sonora stared down at her feather, wondering if there was an easier way to test the spell. If the spell itself wasn't limited by distance, then they were thinking it was just what the wizard could see. There was definitely some way to break line of sight within the classroom. She glanced at the girl next to her and at the student behind her, who she couldn't quite see clearly. Line of sight, impaired. If their thought was correct, the feather didn't have to be the one moving. Worth a shot! She turned back to her feather with resolution. "Winjardium Leviosa."

Nothing happened. "Winjardium Leviosa," she tried again. Of course, nothing happened. She moved the feather to furrow her eyes at her notes again. At this point, Sonora paused her practice, wondering why it wasn't working for the girl next to her either.

"What are we doing wrong?" she wondered aloud, shifting her notes to where they could both see them, inviting the girl to join her in troubleshooting. "Jarleth Hobart...levitation of objects, not humans...casting a charm successfully requires..." Well, they were doing it incorrectly. They both seemed focused. Was it the swish and flick motion? Pronunciation? Visualization?

Stefan Lee Salvatore

addaellis

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:30 am
User Image
❃Vespera❃Salazar❃

Vespera frowned, the girl next to her had gotten the spell right the first time, but then she didn't after she had jotted down about the rope, "Maybe it's because we're thinking of it like a rope? Maybe it's wrong in that case if neither of us can get the feather to levitate? Wan-Jar-dium Levi-oo-sa." Vespera tried again to nothing happening. She looked at the Ravenclaw's notes, Jarleth Hobart, some doodles, the swish and flick, and some more doodles. She looked at the actual word again and changed pronunciation of a syllable, "Wan-Gar-Dee-um Levi-oo-sa." The feather wiggled, but nothing else occurred, Maybe it would just be easier to do everything with a ladder and hands... might have to start agreeing with Jonah that some things done by hand are just more satisfying, then I won't have to learn this spell.

OOC:

addaellis

_____

First Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items