Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Introduction Threads
Survived the 30's - 70's...? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When were you born?
1930's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1940's
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
1950's
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
1960's
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
1970's
64%
 64%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 51

jellysundae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:53 pm
sounds like an excellent idea! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:58 pm
sisu1969
We are wading up to our necks in games here. My kids had tons of them when my Hubby and I got married. And the kids (at least the oldest four) have, for the past 3 years been getting at LEAST 1 game a piece on Christmas and birthdays. That's ALOT of games! But do you think they ever play them?? HELL NO!
They all got hover crafts one year for Christmas (they don't play with), we have a BA-ZILLION board games collecting dust in the closets (yes, that was plural, we have more than one closet full...5 closets full to be exact.)
They have every card game imaginable. And yet... if they aren't playing Nintendo or on the PC they are whining they are "bored".
I have decided that whenever I hear the word "bored" I am going to delegate out a job of some sort. And not a pleasant one at that... like cleaning toilets or folding laundry (I hate to fold.)
I have just HAD it.

Hey sisu....My kiddos are 26, 24 And almost 20....and I DID give out chores when the word "bored" was uttered by them. They learned very quickly, that bored was NOT an option,.....LOL I would say, "You're not bored are you?" and quick as a wink, kiddos would be running out the back door to play in their fort...or whatever....hehehehe To this day, if I say that....a look of OH! NO! comes over their faces! ROFL  

Tindelwood

KittyRyu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:56 pm
I was born in 1982, and still did almost all of those things. I have to give thanks for being born into an Air Force family. I could ride my bike down the street to Girl Scouts at 8 and stay home alone without a sitter at 9. In when the streetlights came on. Played Ninja Turtles with broomsticks fashioned into makeshift weapons. No lawsuits, just 'Well, now you know to block when she swings it at your face. Now go play.'

Mind you, I was also lucky to be my grandparents 'fifth kid'. They raised me like the other four. I got spanked until I was 11. And I'm perfectly happy with the way that I am now!!

I'm a lucky one.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:36 pm
*thinking I need to show these last two posts to my daughter and step daughter.*

One (mine) was raised to respect her elders... the other was raised to argue with everyone and that was ok. Now, mind you, I play devil's advocate on occasion kinda just to stir things up and get people thinking... but my step daughter takes the other side just to tick me off. If I hear "not necessarily" out of her mouth one more time I am going to SCREAM. She has to argue about EVERYTHING. And it's damned rude and disrespectful.  

sisu1969

Lil-Jo
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:00 pm
KittyRyu
I was born in 1982, and still did almost all of those things. I have to give thanks for being born into an Air Force family. I could ride my bike down the street to Girl Scouts at 8 and stay home alone without a sitter at 9. In when the streetlights came on. Played Ninja Turtles with broomsticks fashioned into makeshift weapons. No lawsuits, just 'Well, now you know to block when she swings it at your face. Now go play.'

Mind you, I was also lucky to be my grandparents 'fifth kid'. They raised me like the other four. I got spanked until I was 11. And I'm perfectly happy with the way that I am now!!

I'm a lucky one.

You are lucky... and your parents are lucky too to have someone with such an open mind... there are so many young adults out there now that are whining about how horrible their lives are now because they were spanked as a child... which we all know is just a lame excuse for a lazy, good for nothing, wants everyone and their brothers to feel sorry for them, sorry excuse for an adult.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:34 pm
i stopped riding bicycles when it became mandatory to pay $30 for a peice of styrofoam to strap to my head. I was born in the 70s, but enjoyed the creation of Nintendo - which ironically, in those days, was a good excuse to hop the rusty fence in the back yard and go to a friend's house, then walk to the rental place to get the latest game, head back, and beat it in as little time as possible.

Back in those days, having the game didn't mean as much as having beaten the game.  

Michael Noire

Lucky Hoku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:30 pm
The good o' days, when locking your front door was unheard of, when walking to school was a form of daily socialization, when going to the movies was a treat and listening to MasterPiece Theatre on the radio was a nightly reward. When there was only 3 networks on the tele and it was in black and white until your parents saved up enough money to buy that wonderful new invention... the color TV. My kids don't truly understand or comprehend how much fun it was to not have a cell phone attached to their ear or be bombarded with information overload from the internet available 24/7. There are still parts of New Zealand were such luxuries don't exisit and I love taking my kids to visit my relatives in those rural parts. It's a total culture shock but they see that not everyone has what they have or need what they need.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:33 pm
born 1957. remember alot of the things you mentioned .I remember only 3 channels on tv 5,9,12, and when the fourth channel came on it was like heaven. when president kennedy was killed it was on tv for three days, on all 3 channels, so much for getting out of school. I was in first grade then.  

dreamer45209

boinky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:16 pm
I want to add something. Even though I'm 1985, I remember all of this stuff.

Children didn't have ADD or ADHD, a good slap on the wrist perked up their attention and the pharmacy didn't make money off these so called 'diseases'

I remember havign to come in when the streeligths came on, and if I didn't my dad would be out loking for me (I only played down the street). I remember that when I grew too old to watch the kiddy shows on TV, if I mentioned bored it was like "well, you can clean, wash, do ____" always chores. >< I remember wanting to go to girl scouts, while the kids now nearly barf at the sound of something that their mommy atteneded. *sigh* Oh the memories.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:32 am
WildberryPopTart

Children didn't have ADD or ADHD, a good slap on the wrist perked up their attention and the pharmacy didn't make money off these so called 'diseases'

I remember havign to come in when the streeligths came on, and if I didn't my dad would be out loking for me (I only played down the street). I remember that when I grew too old to watch the kiddy shows on TV, if I mentioned bored it was like "well, you can clean, wash, do ____" always chores. >< I remember wanting to go to girl scouts, while the kids now nearly barf at the sound of something that their mommy atteneded. *sigh* Oh the memories.

you can't smack their wrist without being afraid they are going to scream "child abuse". rolleyes
Gawd, my mom could smack a mouth faster than the speed of light and make your head roll. Did I think it was child abuse? hell no. I mouthed off and disrespected her, I deserved it. Spanking? nope, I deserved that too. Although I am sure at the time I didn't think so.
Kids are getting worse these days (in MY opinion) because everything is givin to them. You have a book report to due? Why read the book when you can look it up on the net?
Want to call a friend? no need to wait for the other party to get off the line... just whip out your cell phone and call them.
Lawmakers have taken a parents right to reprimand their children as the offense deems and the result is a bunch of spoiled, fearless, sometimes bullying kids that don't have a clue how to get along with anyone except their buddies, pals, "homies". And those kids are just like they are.
My two older kids are very respectful. (I believe it is because they have been spanked before and my oldest is entering teen years and is going to be the death of me. eye rolling... sighs... moodiness. ACK!!)  

sisu1969

dreamer45209

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:26 pm
sisu1969
WildberryPopTart

you can't smack their wrist without being afraid they are going to scream "child abuse". rolleyes
Gawd, my mom could smack a mouth faster than the speed of light and make your head roll. Did I think it was child abuse? hell no. I mouthed off and disrespected her, I deserved it. Spanking? nope, I deserved that too. Although I am sure at the time I didn't think so.
Kids are getting worse these days (in MY opinion) because everything is givin to them. You have a book report to due? Why read the book when you can look it up on the net?
Want to call a friend? no need to wait for the other party to get off the line... just whip out your cell phone and call them.
Lawmakers have taken a parents right to reprimand their children as the offense deems and the result is a bunch of spoiled, fearless, sometimes bullying kids that don't have a clue how to get along with anyone except their buddies, pals, "homies". And those kids are just like they are.
My two older kids are very respectful. (I believe it is because they have been spanked before and my oldest is entering teen years and is going to be the death of me. eye rolling... sighs... moodiness. ACK!!)
I agree with you. my child got a bruise on her leg from her dad and she told at school, we went through hell for a year with child services you can't disipline your kids anymore.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:24 pm
I was born in 1959, and I remember all this and:
Jumping in the mud puddles after a summer rain, and how the air smelled so fresh after the rain.
Riding my bike with the banana seat EVERYWHERE, including the local park.
Roller skating in the street with skates that clamped on my sneakers and a skate key around my neck.
Going to the local pool on a hot summer day to swim, or going to the local outdoor ice rink in the winter to ice skate.
Going over to my best friend's house when I was ten and getting into so much trouble, to include yelling, spanking and grounding, with my dad because I forgot to tell him where I was and came home late. Nowdays, this is "child abuse," but I can assure you, I never forgot to tell them where I was ever again.
Feeding our friendly neighborhood squirrel that lived in the tree just outside our kitchen window by hand.
My parakeet Skipper used to ride around on my head or inside my shirt pocket, or on the rotating artificial Christmas tree on his little swing, round and round.
Walking to the local store almost every day to pick up groceries for my mom, and carrying two huge paper bags home for several blocks.
Being chased by the next-door neighbor's Saint Bernard dog that bit everyone else but left me alone and in one piece.
That all the neighborhood kids hung out on my front porch just to talk to my dad. He was a school bus driver and loved kids.

This is my first post in this guild, just accepted. Sorry 'bout the long post and the reminiscing, but I rather enjoyed the memories.  

Roy_Mustang_Is_Hot_Stuff

Eloquent Elder

12,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Megathread 100

Scandi the Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:14 am
same with me i remember all of this except i was in campfire . back when it was girls only. i got spanked too , even abused no lawyers then just had to tough it out. Raised my kids without video games and tv until they where into their teens. no harm to em they actually thanked me. and when they got grounded they didn't have a computer/tv/ninetendo to play with they actually got grounded. it's funny they are 25 and 22 and they will still tear up when i say your grounded. blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:41 am
Yeah! I remember most of those things.... I was born in 1954 in the Congo.

We came down to South Africa in 1960 as refugees and carried on staying here.

But then there were also other things that I remember, that may have had it's sell by date in the usa at that time:-

wink riding a tram to the centre of Pretoria along mauve flowering jacaranda tree lined streets.... running about trying to catch a jacaranda flower to fall on your head (it meant good luck)

lol apartheid was NOT an issue in those days... we payed equally and together in the streets, at home and at school.

razz The penny whistles of the street musician... and shoe shiners earning a sixpence.

rolleyes Wearing gloves when we dressed up to go to town.

confused My dad wearing a hat and long jacket to be 'smart' (60's)

whee The smell of leather in the cars.

rofl Beating the boys at their marble games at school.... and walking off with my pockets laden with their marbles *laughing* I was also equally adept with the tops........ hehehe..... I soon became one of 'them'

whee Playing hopscotch on the pavements...... and long skipping ropes jumping in and out as we jumped to a rhyme.

wink Reading Enid Blyton books when it was cold and rainy, the Famous Five and Secret Seven.

xp We didnt get television until 1972, and had long debates at school about the pros and cons of television.

4laugh By 1965, we had moved out of the cities into the rural areas, and they still used the crank phones to call up the exchange.... and were then connected by the exchange. We didnt need an answering machine, we left messages with the exchange!

exclaim oh, and yo-yo's, lucky packets, cupie dolls.... sooo much different then now!

Yeah, smacks didnt kill.... it was discipline, and got those when we needed!

I was fortunate to be able to raise my kids with smacks when they needed it, but now, the parents may not do it........ and the kids are fast becoming brats!!

Life was much less complicated and so much safer then.... what happened to our world?  

Joiewe

Miradora

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:24 am
Joiewe mentions wearing gloves to go to town. Definitely a blast from the past. I was born in 1951 and wore a dress and gloves to go shopping and (of COURSE) to church. We had to wear dresses to school until I was a senior in high school. Then we were allowed to wear "pant suits" if the jacket matched the trousers.

All the neighborhood kids crawled around and dug forts in vacant lots which were giant catboxes/dog latrines but nobody cared!

One of my mother's pieces of grocery shopping wisdom was, "Never pay more than 10 cents for a roll of toilet paper." rofl  
Introduction Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff