Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Game Room
Name that Tune - List is Completed Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which do you prefer?
Let each list run until it is complete
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Change the list after 1 week, even if incomplete
25%
 25%  [ 9 ]
Change the list after 2 weeks, even if incomplete
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Other (please post)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
No preference
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Gold!
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 35

keetabirdy

Friendly Gekko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:27 am
whee Well even though I'm one of the younger geezers (yay for being 21?) I was raised under the idea that honesty is the best policy, and that, as you said so well Mal that my "word is bond." Some people would call my parents old-fashioned and conservative for their age (heck, even I do from time to time) but I think that, for the most part, they raised me well and with good values. 3nodding

And no! No giving in! xd  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:27 am
You're around the ages of my sons, keeta. They are 20 and 22. I've found that many parents of my generation have somehow failed to stress the values of integrity, responsibility, and accountability to their children. My husband and I are also somewhat old-fashioned (a product of Southern upbringing) and, so our sons and you would have a lot in common.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is as a teacher to deal with adults who didn't parent their children (they're more like friends than parents). Their children are never in the wrong about anything. Discipline is an alien concept. And excuses, rather than admissions, are more the norm.

You are a credit to your mom and dad, keeta! biggrin  

Rhiannon2006

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:48 pm
Oh, I don't think it's entirely your fault or the fault of your generation, Rhiannon. There's only so much you CAN stress without becoming a monster.

I think we all have to adapt to our situation to survive and, let me tell you, the last 10 or so years have not been a good time for honesty in business. I'm a bit older than your kids, but I remember the shocking shift in attitude from "serving your customers" to "just telling your customers what they want to hear" when I was working customer service in the early parts of this decade. A lot of that had to do with a sort of sinister "killer sports" philosophy that trickled into the corporate mainstream. The idea of turning every member of your workforce into a salesman was pretty prevalent in those days... and selling often requires a modicum of deceit.

Or so it would seem. I think there's a lot of values we've lost sight of, but they're not lost. I live in the US, which has some really fantastic ideas at its core - and those ideas aren't gone. People on all sides of the political equation continue to fight for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness over here, despite shocking tales of apathy and corruption. It's not over, yet.

Honesty isn't really one of those ideals, but it's a human ideal. Sometimes, when you're sitting at work after being reamed by your boss (who's a few years older than you from a generation that definately knew all about honesty) for not making enough sales to the angry people who called in to complain about bills or poor service, and you look over at the other folks in your circle of cubes and see that the "top performers" lie through their freakin' teeth to everyone who calls - well, sometimes even the best-raised kids might break down in that kind of environment.

Or when people are going around telling you how great you are for the awful things you've just done, you might have a little trouble telling wrong from right. And when your entire life is about Acheivement, Excellence and Opportunity*, you might not notice that, as you race from one award to the next, you're kind of stepping on people on the way. After all, they're beneath you. They didn't try hard enough. They don't deserve the truth.

We all want things to get better, but that doesn't mean they have to be "Excellent" every single time. You don't HAVE to make 400% profit or scream when you only make 200% (something's usually wrong when you're looking at your business with numbers like that, anyway.)

No, I don't think you failed - but I do think you might have gotten suckered. I think we all might have, not just in the US, but it might have started here. I think we need to teach ourselves how to be "just okay" again, rather than excellent. Or is this old news?

*Trust me, none of the awards I've ever earned have meant a dang thing next to the few times I've been able to stand up honestly in the face of tyrany, injustice and horror and say SOMETHING. Admittedly, I often fail and I feel a bit bad about that, but not as bad as "going with the flow" when things were obviously wrong!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:29 pm
You've made some very good points, Harbone. I remember my mom popping off with the "Life's not fair" reply. Be that as it may, such situations are obviously wrong and many times I have felt like Don Quixote jousting windmills. Doesn't mean, however, I can't keep trying to make things different if I can.

But before we get any more OT, I think I better ask everyone to remember that this is the Name That Tune thread. I apologize to everyone as I am the one who started this train of thought to jump the tracks with my donation suggestion (it got the conversation rolling to this point).

Again, apologies to all, especially keeta!

And for the record, I'm stumped, too, on the last two songs... even with the hints... confused  

Rhiannon2006

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:14 pm
I still have no clue regarding the last few songs.

And no, I'm not gonna boot anyone for going on an occasional rant. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:20 pm
no worries smile I really don't mind conversation on other topics while people are trying to guess. I realize that guessing at all moments isn't a possibilty wink You guys all made good points and we all need to hear stuff like that once in a while.  

keetabirdy

Friendly Gekko

keetabirdy

Friendly Gekko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:23 pm
Final Hints

The first letter of each of the words in the title. A correct response at this point is worth 0.25 points

9) D___ K___ W___

14) S__ I__ L__  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:22 am
keetabirdy
Final Hints

The first letter of each of the words in the title. A correct response at this point is worth 0.25 points

9) D___ K___ W___

14) S__ I__ L__

9) Don't Know Why . . . by some human being I've never met.

14) Still In Love . . . by another human being I've never met.  

Malheureux
Crew

keetabirdy

Friendly Gekko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:32 am
Malheureux
keetabirdy
Final Hints

9) D___ K___ W___

14) S__ I__ L__

xd interesting responses  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:36 am
'Fraid I'll have to join the queue of people waiting to be put out of their misery on these final ones smile

*sits back and awaits with interest*

DW  

Warnersister

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:46 pm
Sorry about the rant. I'd just come back from volunteering for a political party. redface Aheh.

Um... oh yeah.

ARGH! I know the answers because I gave up and Googled them! I shouldn't have done that! I wanna blurt it out SO BAD! gonk This is killing me! scream  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:21 pm
keetabirdy
Malheureux
keetabirdy
Final Hints

9) D___ K___ W___

14) S__ I__ L__

xd interesting responses

I really have no idea... I just guessed based on the history of love songs confused  

Malheureux
Crew

keetabirdy

Friendly Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:02 am
I hope I didn't offend. It certainly wasn't my intention. sweatdrop

And...sometime later today (when I'm done with classes and whatnot) I'll post the remaining answers and the next list as well as the winners  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:32 am
Answers for the remaining songs of list number one

9) "Don't Know Why" - Nora Jones

14) "So In Love" - From Kiss Me Kate - By Cole Porter

I am sending out the prizes to the winners, from my mule, keetabirdie. If you do not wish to claim your prize, simply cancel the trade. 3nodding

List number 2 by Malheureux is now up! You may begin guessing!

keetabirdy

Friendly Gekko

Lil-Jo
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:22 am
3. Funky Cold Medina/Tone Loc

11. Hotel California/Eagles

18. Callin' On My Darlin'/Albert King  
Game Room

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff