Total Votes : 159

Azaveil

8,050 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:07 am
ShinnyNeko
im interested in wicca but not currently practicing. i think its important to be at least a little knowledgeable on as many others as you can though, helps clear up misconceptions and whatnot

I know what you mean. I used to consider myself practicing, but I don't really know enough, nor keep up enough to still be considered that. Personally, I consider the word "religion" related to "ritual". So I guess I'm more Spiritual than Religious. I believe in Wicca, parts about Catholicism (before the Church twisted the meanings of the Bible), parts of Buddhism, Taoism, etc. I should have just voted "other" instead of "Wicca". But I know other people who consider themselves Wiccan and are just in it for the spells (which they also dive into recklessly). It's another reason I don't practice. My aunt (an unfortunate mistake) likes to consider herself and her daughter Wiccans - even while her daughter gets confirmed Catholic, celebrates Jewish holidays (but not the rituals), and only use Wicca for love spells and what-not. If I were to do any kind of ritual in this house they would instantly stick their noses where they don't belong and consider themselves just like me, which they are not. I like to consider my beliefs in Wicca more for my spirit than personal gain. Technically, I think I've been a witch since I was seven and chose to talk to the "Mother Earth" as well as "God". It was not until I was twelve or thirteen that I discovered Wicca and started finding parts of myself in various world religions. Someone with the Sight once noted me as a very Spiritual person and I didn't realize the full extent of her meaning until years later. But that's what I am and always have been. That's basically the only label that can be applied to me when asked about "religion".  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:29 am

Jehovah's Witness.
It's easier for me to answer direct questions instead of a general explaination. So ask if you have any, I guess.
I'll do my best.

Untermenschen

Hat-ninja Clawzz

Witty Conventioneer

9,425 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:48 am
Untermenschen

Jehovah's Witness.
It's easier for me to answer direct questions instead of a general explaination. So ask if you have any, I guess.
I'll do my best.

Bacon wraped bacon Rawks!!!, how did you become that, a Jehovahs witness?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:48 am
Kitchen/green witch. ... I honor the goddess Morrigan  

Neamhain Riona

Untermenschen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:04 pm
clawzz01
Untermenschen

Jehovah's Witness.
I'll do my best.

Bacon wraped bacon Rawks!!!, how did you become that, a Jehovahs witness?

lol I know, right?
Anyway, my mother became one when I was two years old, so I was raised as one.
I believe it, it makes sense to me, so I've stuck with it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:20 am
I am not religious at all. I think that the late great George Carlin can sum up my feelings on religion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

Also, yes I have read before that George did in fact admit to his belief in God on his deathbed. (May he rest in peace.) However I guess that I really can't blame him... No one really knows what happens after death but I'm always going to go under the assumption that there is no God because to me it seems to make the most sense. Especially whenever evolution comes into play. I was born and raised (and unfortunately still reside) in the deep south (or Bible Belt of America) but I never really attended Church or anything. I used to think that there may have been a God but in my mind I always had doubts. Religion and myself just never seemed to click. Besides, the whole "If you don't believe in God then you're going to Hell" logic really disgusts me. I don't believe any sin no matter how horrible is worth an eternity of burning in Hell. It doesn't make any sense to me and never will just like the whole God delusion will never make any sense to me. Anyway, I'm finished rambling here. I will never understand religion and quite frankly don't care about it anymore. My mind is much better off not being judged by some old book. Your mind and heart should guide you, not some book full of lies and contradictions.  

Vendetagainst

Call Me Issa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:44 pm
Winatrix
I don't believe any sin no matter how horrible is worth an eternity of burning in Hell.

I have to respectfully disagree with that, I can think of several.....
Child molestation, rape, just to name the first 2 that come to mind...... there are several "sins" that would be worthy of an eternity of agony....
Just my opinion of course, but its the only one I have at the moment.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:37 pm
Princess Issabella
Winatrix
I don't believe any sin no matter how horrible is worth an eternity of burning in Hell.

Child molestation, rape, just to name the first 2 that come to mind...... there are several "sins" that would be worthy of an eternity of agony....

I agree. Even though my beliefs are somewhat eclectic, they all agree that some crimes warrant a dirty afterlife. Christianity has Hell, Greek Mythology has Tartarus, Wicca and Buddhism have Karma (in Wicca it's the "Threefold" law that everything you send out comes back three times - basically Karma triple time), and if the system believes in reincarnation as opposed to afterlife - you can go up or down the scale (insignificant ameoba to very wealthy millionaire/noble). True, some crimes like murder in self-defense, by accident or vigilante may not be totally deserving of Hell (depending on the circumstances), but some people thrive on murder (or cannibalism) and have pure evil intentions. These people should get what they did back three times in the afterlife - or be reincarnated into something small, inconsequential, and with a very short lifespan (and not a virus/bacteria). But that's just my opinion.  

Azaveil

8,050 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250

Vendetagainst

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:13 am
Azaveil
Princess Issabella
Winatrix

I agree. Even though my beliefs are somewhat eclectic, they all agree that some crimes warrant a dirty afterlife. Christianity has Hell, Greek Mythology has Tartarus, Wicca and Buddhism have Karma (in Wicca it's the "Threefold" law that everything you send out comes back three times - basically Karma triple time), and if the system believes in reincarnation as opposed to afterlife - you can go up or down the scale (insignificant ameoba to very wealthy millionaire/noble). True, some crimes like murder in self-defense, by accident or vigilante may not be totally deserving of Hell (depending on the circumstances), but some people thrive on murder (or cannibalism) and have pure evil intentions. These people should get what they did back three times in the afterlife - or be reincarnated into something small, inconsequential, and with a very short lifespan (and not a virus/bacteria). But that's just my opinion.

You both have a point with the people that thrive on murder and child molesters. If there is an afterlife then they deserve to be punished. I'm at a crossroads as to how long they deserve to be punished. Eternity is neverending while the human life span is not. Are there really any crimes that deserve eternal agony in the afterlife? We're talking for an eternity here... I'm sorry but I just don't see any sin being worth an eternity of pain and suffering. We're all humans here after all. Some make dreadful choices in life but does that mean they deserve to be punsihed for all eternity for it?

However, I'm in the mindset of a believer and this basically goes against everything I believe or rather don't believe. Being that I'm an Atheist I believe that death is the ultimate punishment for someone that has committed heinous crimes such as child molestation. I do believe that they will get what's coming to them in some way or another or so I would hope. I also believe that these people should be killed in the most brutal way possible. An eye for an eye as they say. To me this is the only time that killing someone should be above the law. That and for self defense of course. But then again even if you do get revenge it still doesn't bring your loved one back... That which is probably the worst punsihment of all. Having to live without your loved one.

Thankfully I have never experienced losing a loved one at the hands of a murderer and I can't imagine how that must feel. It's all terrible really and it's sad that there are people that will actually do these terrible things in the first place. It's absolutely disgusting and when it all comes down to it I can understand why people would wish for an eternity of suffering for someone. It's all ******** up one way or another and I honestly wish that child molesters, murderers, etc. all ceased to exist. When it comes to the afterlife is where I get confused due to my lack of belief. Please don't judge me for that. No one can say for sure of what happens after death no matter what kind of life you lead. What happens to someone after death is anyone's guess. Though if I had a loved one that was murdered I'm sure that I would hope for the worst for the person that killed my loved one. Anyone would. I'm going to stop here before I ramble on any longer. This is how I currently feel on this particular subject.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:07 pm
Azaveil
... if the system believes in reincarnation as opposed to afterlife - you can go up or down the scale (insignificant ameoba to very wealthy millionaire/noble).
You forgot to mention Hindus as believers in karma and reincarnation eek

I wanted to add that even with reincarnation and karma {this is coming from Hinduism, by the way}, there are hellish planets designed for people who commit especially heinous crimes, though souls are not sent there for an eternity of suffering, because that would be too long. Eventually, the "debt" is considered "paid" after so much suffering. For lesser crimes, one just simply goes down the scale of lifeforms. What crimes are considered the worst, I cannot say for sure since part of the crime is also the mentality of the person who commits it.

On a side note, it is not considered to be a big crime to kill someone if you are a soldier or if you are defending your family. It can actually be considered to be a crime to -not- kill someone if they are trying to harm your family.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Chinsei Umahru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:20 pm
right now i claim Non Denominational but i was born Mormon  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:29 am
Winatrix
Azaveil
Princess Issabella
Winatrix

You both have a point with the people that thrive on murder and child molesters. If there is an afterlife then they deserve to be punished. I'm at a crossroads as to how long they deserve to be punished. Eternity is neverending while the human life span is not. Are there really any crimes that deserve eternal agony in the afterlife? We're talking for an eternity here... I'm sorry but I just don't see any sin being worth an eternity of pain and suffering. We're all humans here after all. Some make dreadful choices in life but does that mean they deserve to be punsihed for all eternity for it?

I believe that we judge ourselves after death. We see what we did wrong, or right, and treat ourselves accordingly. And this does not mean that if we felt no remorse in life for our crimes, we won't suffer any punishment. Once we die, all of our illusions are stripped away and we see ourselves for what we really are. So, if we have done wrong then we create our own demons to populate our own "hell", and the demons we choose will most likely take the form of those whom we have wronged. The punishment serves a dual purpose, to satisfy the victim and to chastise ourselves and it will last as long as we deem necessary. Therefore, the length of your stay in "hell" is dependent on just how long you believe you should be punished. I also believe that we choose whether to suffer punishment in the next world or in the next life. So a wrongdoer may come back and suffer as his/her victims suffered.  

Kyreie

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:26 pm
I am an atheist.

However, I love to learn and understand other religions.

I suppose, before you ask, I will mention that I am an evolutionist. Please don't mistake that for social darwanism, I'll be sad, and no, I'm not a social darwanist.

I do, however believe, if you will, certain ideas based on the natural world, such balance in everything, and yin and a yang.

I do also believe in eternity, that everything will keep going, even if humanity and life as we know it ceases to exist.

To go along with the current mode of discussion, I think, in a sense, like someone else has mentioned, we create are own hell by feeling guilty about how we run our lives, however founded or unfounded they may be. I think rape, child molestation and the like are horrible and wish a slow, painful dead for those people who cause this. An eye for an arm, like the Threefold Law I suppose.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:14 am
ThisEmptySoul

Of course, this is all coming from my view point as a Hindu. 3nodding

how did you become Hindu if you don't mind me asking? my fiance is Hindu but he's from India and was born into it.  

immabee

saint dreya

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:12 am
pagan, with Celtic and Heathen tendencies. member of ADF and active in the local grove.

hard polytheist with nature and ancestor worship nicely mixed in.  
Serious Conversations

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff