Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "RPC" *Roleplay Central*
:.: Abigail's Nine :.: {Accepting/Open} Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 30 31 32 33 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lucky_Tiger

Enigmatic Bookworm

16,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:24 pm

Miranda glanced at the clock and froze. She hadn't even realized what time it was. And while she often wandered away without warning, this was getting a little late. She knew her mother would definitely be worrying. She hurried to the kitchen, dialing the phone. Her mother picked it up right away, clearly worried. Miranda just laughed it off though, lying and saying she was at a classmates house, working on a project. Satisfied, her mother let her hang up the phone.

Breathing a sigh of relief, she returned to Cybil and Mark. "Any luck narrowing it down?" She asked, glancing at the pair. "What kind of hits are we getting? What's the most common kind of site popping up? Maybe there's a way to negate what sites we see in search."
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:28 pm

Cybil kept tapping away. "We're getting lots of stuff about Abigail Adams and random unrelated World War stuff. Now, I have no idea who Abigail Adams is, but I don't think she's the one we're looking for. It might help if you could narrow down which World War we're talking about here."

Mark had grown bored of reading over Cybil's shoulder. He turned away, knelt and reached under the blonde's bed. Pulling out a locked box, he didn't even pause before sliding a hand under the mattress and tugging out a key. After unlocking it, he opened the box to reveal a bunch of old papers. "Think there might be anything in here?" he asked.

Cybil glanced idly over her shoulder. "I doubt it," she said with a shrug. "But I never went through it, and I guess there might possibly be a reason why it was the only thing I brought with me from home. Go for it. It can't be much more useless than trying to find her with only a first name in five hundred and forty-one thousand hits."

She didn't seem to question why Mark already knew that it was there; maybe she'd shown it to him before.

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

Lucky_Tiger

Enigmatic Bookworm

16,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:02 pm

User Image
The tiger that shouldn't be....is....

"Um....I think she's the wife of one of the US presidents or something. Either way, not what we want." Miranda said thoughtfully, shaking her head. "Try the first War. Like I said - old but not ancient. But the second War doesn't seem quite old enough. It's just a feeling though." She shrugged, unsure of herself.

She glanced at Mark when he moved to the bed and pulled out the box. She raised an eyebrow wondering how he'd know it was there, then realized Cybil must have told him. The two seemed pretty close after all. "Why would you bring a box that you didn't know what was in it?" She asked curiously, the strangeness of the idea intriguing her.

User Image
The tiger that should be....isn't....

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:56 pm

Nodding, Cybil turned back and began to type. After a few seconds, she announced, "Twenty-five thousand hits, give or take a few hundred. Much more manageable. Now let's see what we've got here." She turned her attention entirely to her computer screen, meticulously clicking on each link and reading through the information on each one.

Mark, meanwhile, was sitting cross-legged on her carpet, papers scattered around him. He was reading each one closely, even when they seemed to be no more than tax papers and family notes.

"Hmm?" murmured Cybil absently, glancing up at Miranda when she realized the girl had asked her another question. "Oh. I don't really know. It just...felt like the thing to do at the time, I suppose. Which is why I'm now wondering if maybe there's something in there that's important. I don't suppose you have any boxes of old stuff stored in your attic or whatever."

Her time for musing finished, she returned to her typing.

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

Lucky_Tiger

Enigmatic Bookworm

16,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:18 pm

User Image

Now it was Miranda's turn to look thoughtful. "You know, Mom always there was old stuff up in the attic, but I never bothered to find out what. Now's as good as ever I suppose. Next chance I get, I'll take a look." That said, she slid off the chair to sit on the floor, glancing over the papers Mark had scattered around. "What are you hoping to find?" She asked curiously, picking up first one sheet, then another. They looked innocent enough, just simply tax papers.

User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:26 pm

Cybil continued tapping merrily away, reading each page and often giving a sigh or a shake of her head in disgust before moving on to the next. There was nothing, nothing, nothing, and every half-hour or so she began to wonder if they were wasting time. But she resolutely kept on. Eventually, there had to be something. She had faith in the wonders of the Internet. "Okay," she replied absently to Miranda's words. "You do that. It'll help. Thanks."

Mark remained happily seated on the floor, scattering more papers. "I dunno," he replied, looking up at Miranda with childlike innocence in his gaze, even as his fingers started to shake once again. "I guess I'll know when I find it."

That said, he dived in again, and kept reading through sheets of boring paper. Most people would have been sick to death of this chore within a few minutes, but Mark seemed as excited as a child on Christmas morning. With every paper he read, he looked more thrilled, as unlike Cybil's vaguely annoyed face and irritated mutterings as could be.

"I just think there's something in here," he said cheerfully. "I don't know what, but when we see it, we'll know."

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

Lucky_Tiger

Enigmatic Bookworm

16,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:41 pm

User Image

Miranda glanced between the two and shook her head. "We're all idiots." She muttered under her breathing. "Looking for something but we don't know what. This isn't a needle in a haystack. This is an invisible needle in a field of haystacks."

That said, she grabbed a stack of papers from the box Mark was working on. She set to work, reading the papers and trying not to yawn. She wasn't sure why, maybe it was how certain he seemed, but she had the feeling Mark was right. There was something in these papers. They just didn't know what. But they would find it. After awhile though, she felt she had to make at least one comment. "Cybil? News flash. Your family is boring." She said, reading through yet another tax report.

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:23 pm

Mark beamed at her, as though she'd said something particularly clever. "Well, it's all we've got," he replied, sounding much too happy for such a statement. "And every research project is an invisible needle in a hayfield, if you want to look at it that way. You just have to start somewhere and hope for blind luck to take a hand."

With another smile, he went back to his pages. His trembling hands were growing worse, but he didn't appear to notice. And he wouldn't, thought Cybil as she glanced over at him, not for another few hours. Then the desire would get bad. Then he would want to leave, score a quick hit and come back. But she wouldn't be able to let him. She needed him aware and alert.

And damn it, he was like a little brother. She wanted him off that s**t.

At Miranda's words, Cybil's eyes kindled for a brief second before dying off again. "Miranda? That's really old news. Maybe if you read something besides the tax reports, it would help," she said tartly.

Her family had been boring. And that had been how she'd liked it. But when her father died, and her mother had married Colin the Creep, things had gotten more interesting. Infuriating enough that she had run away, but yeah, more interesting.

Not that she was going to share that with Miranda.

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

Lucky_Tiger

Enigmatic Bookworm

16,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:31 pm

User Image

Miranda gave Mark a weird look. He was way too happy over the smallest things. Shaking her head, she went back to reading. "Hey. Mark thinks there's something in this box. So why not read every paper?" She said, eyes scanning a page before setting it aside. "You never know what you'll find in the strangest of places. I found the answer to a history question in a science text book. So why not in a tax report? Makes just as much sense as the rest of this whole idea." She added the last part in a mutter to herself. The pile of papers beside her kept growing as she surfed through everything she could find in the box.

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Cybil shrugged, her back still to them. "Whatever makes you happy," she replied. "But don't complain to me about how my family's boring. I already know. And reading tax reports won't help change your mind in the slightest."

She tilted her chair back and continued to type away. Her gaze took on a slow, focused concentration after a moment or two. Then she and Mark spoke seemingly as one.

"Got something."

Mark was holding a little piece of paper that looked like some kind of receipt, and Cybil was staring at her computer screen. Embarrassed, Mark waved Cybil on. "You start," he said.

She grinned. "Well, I have here a list of victims of the ancient witch hunts. It turns out that one of the last witches to be executed over in Europe was named Marie Deschamps, and--" she held up a hand to forestall the inevitable interruptions, "it says here that she had only one direct line of descendants, which ended with one Miss Abigail Lavalle, born in 1921 and deceased at the age of twenty-four in 1945 from some unknown illness. You think Abigail maybe inherited some super-special powers from her great-great-however-many-greats-it-is grandma?" More seriously, she continued, "Does Lavalle ring a bell for you? Either of you?"

Mark held up his receipt. "And I've got this," he said. "It looks like a receipt for a bunch of stuff, and it's from an antique store. And this one," he held up another, "is from an old junk shop. They both have 'diary' listed on them. Maybe you have the book at home, Cyb, and didn't even know it."

Cybil grinned, swiveling in her chair. "Maybe we're starting to sift out some hay from that hayfield of ours, Miranda."

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

Lucky_Tiger

Enigmatic Bookworm

16,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:19 pm

User Image

Miranda glanced up at the two, then chuckled. "What a pair you are...." She muttered, shaking her head. She listened though as they spoke. Rising up, she came to read over Cybil's shoulder. "1921....That's roughly the time period we seem to be looking for. And she could have gotten her powers from the 'witch'. It would explain it." She said softly, black eyes skimming over the info.

She frowned though, reading the name over and over again. "Lavalle......Actually, the name does ring a bell. I think there's some old family things that have that name on it. I need to find them again though." She recalled her mother saying that name once or twice. "Maybe this hayfield really does have a needle in it." She murmured.

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:28 pm

Mark shrugged defensively and Cybil blinked at Miranda. "Okay," she replied, ignoring Miranda's mutter. "How about in your visions? Any hint of Lavalle there? Did our Abigail look like she could be twenty-four? 'Mysterious illness' could mean anything, after all - could be anything from the aftereffects of the freaky monsters of darkness to some weird strain of fricking chicken pox. Middle of a war, not a great time for records."

She saved the page to her favourites and tilted back her chair. "But you notice that she didn't have any kids, as noted by the fact that she was the end of the Deschamps line. So if this is our Abigail, and if we got our powers from her some seventy, eighty years later - both big ifs - how did it happen? Can't blame heredity if there aren't any kids."

Sitting back, she continued aloud, "And how did we get her stuff?"

Strangely, it was Mark who offered, "Maybe it found its way to us. Well, to Miranda and you, maybe. Because she knew we'd be the ones who would have to continue it."

Cybil considered, then turned and lifted a brow at Miranda. "What d'you say?"

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

Lucky_Tiger

Enigmatic Bookworm

16,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:47 pm

User Image

Miranda shrugged. "My visions show scenes, not names. It's entirely possible that Lavalle is the name we're looking for. But she did look to be in her early twenties. I've never been very good at guessing exact ages." She shrugged again. It was the best she could say. She couldn't be sure one way or the other.

At Mark's idea, she cocked her head to the side, thinking. "Well, Abigail's powers seemed to encompass everything." She said slowly. "I don't see why she wouldn't have been able to transfer those powers to someone else. But I can't see those powers just drifting free for that many years. She must have anchored them to something. Maybe someone in our family? Then we could have come by them hereditary." She paused, going back to sit in her chair. "I suppose it's plausible. Given how crazy everything else is, this isn't too much of a stretch of the mind."

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Cybil sighed a bit. "Well, okay. But until we find a picture or a portrait or whatever the hell it would have been around then so that we can match it, or we find out for sure some other way that Abigail Lavalle is our Abigail, we have to keep looking. We can't focus everything on Lavalle if we can't even be sure."

Mark glanced over at her in some surprise, then blinked and hunched his shoulders a little. "Oh," he muttered. "I guess I kind of forgot about that little step."

Cybil shrugged, tapping some more keys to head on to the next website. "It's the little ones that trip you and send you face-first into the concrete, Mark. Rules to live by." Idly, she tilted her head to show Miranda she was listening even while she read through the next site. "Not everything, Miranda," she disagreed. "We don't have anything useful for all-out battle, have you noticed that? We can't change shape or cast spells, we can't make things fly or explode. All we have - as far as we know - is that we can see stuff coming or going."

She rolled her eyes when Mark gave her a pointed stare. "Yeah, yeah, it's nitpicky, but I think it might matter. But that wasn't your point. You think she anchored them to a person?" The thought of that made something slightly sick roll in her stomach. "Stuck that responsibility and that weight on someone, maybe a bunch of someones, without them knowing or agreeing? 'Cause you know that if you're desperate, you wouldn't want to risk them saying no, you're crazy." She shoved a hand through her blonde hair, staring daggers at the screen. "So why not just go ahead and put them at risk without warning them so that you don't have to feel like you might have screwed things up?"

Mark looked up at her. "Cybil," he said quietly, his gaze wry, "you're projecting again."

Cybil shrugged. "Yeah. Probably. Anyway." She turned back to her screen. "Could be, Miranda. But I have to say that thinking of it going down like that really pisses me off."

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

Lucky_Tiger

Enigmatic Bookworm

16,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:57 pm

User Image

Miranda raised an eyebrow at Cybil's rant. "Who knows. Was just an idea." She said shrugging off the other girl's apparent displeasure. "I could be completely wrong."

Glancing up at the clock again, she sighed. "I'd better get going. Otherwise mom is going to start freaking.....Again....." She shook her head and rose to her feet. "I'll take a look around at home, see what I can find. Meet up again tomorrow?" She asked hesitantly, not sure whether or not the suggestion would provoke Cybil's temper. "Share what we've found since?"

User Image

"RPC" *Roleplay Central*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 30 31 32 33 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff