Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Introduction Threads
Survived the 30's - 70's...? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When were you born?
1930's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1940's
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
1950's
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
1960's
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
1970's
64%
 64%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 51

Nodijo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:20 pm
I was born in 1958, and remember those things to. I remember my mom brushing my hair and thumping me on the head with the handle if I screamed because it was my own fault that it was all tangled up in the first place because I didn't brush it when she told me to....and I didn't scream child abuse.
I remember NEVER call your parents by their first names as a matter of respect, and definitely NEVER yell You don't love me! when they correct you-my mouth was scarred from the ring on her finger where she backhanded me for sassing...still didn't scream child abuse.
I remember getting switched with a maple tree sap on my bare legs for running from my grandma instead of coming to her when she called me and I ran and hid behind my mom and said Nanny, nanny, nanny you can't get me...Grandma never moved she just swung that switch around, got my bare legs and let me tell ya boys and girls it stung and I danced and apologized and NEVER ran when I was told come here again....still no child abuse.
I also got switched when I got off the school bus, which hadn't yet pulled away but my mom didn't care, she switched all the way home which was a city block!...still no child abuse.
I remember being treated unfairly at school by my P.E teacher and my mom going to school to defend me-that was in Junior High school. In High School, I had a Sociology teacher (I now know that my 4 year old grandson is more mature and more intelligent than him), who stood by the doorway where we practiced walking in for our Graduation ceremony so he could taunt me and lean out and say in front of all my classmates, You're not gonna graduate...and laugh-my mom and step-dad went to the school and confronted him and guess what? I graduated and got my diploma! A lady in Wal-Mart a couple years ago, was walking down our aisle and stepped between my mom, myself and the clerk who was talking to us, and she never excused herself, she just barged right through. This angered me, so I said you know if you had said excuse me and showed some manners, we would have moved! She turned around and said, Why don't you go home ya fat pig and lose some weight? and stomped off. We finished up our conversation, and were heading to the back of the store. This woman saw us, deliberately moves her cart out in the middle of the walkway, and snorts like a pig when I walk by and glares at me. My mom lost it, she turned around walked up to her and said Young lady if I were you, I'd keep my mouth shut from now on. The woman walked off. It took me a loooong time to return to that Wal-Mart.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:39 pm
Hi everyone, just joined (thanks to Lil Brat for inviting me). Reading some of your posts almost made me cry, I was born in 1967 (the tail end, be 40 in December) and most of what I saw I remember like it was yesterday. The drive-in was one of the few family things we did and we always had the popcorn done in the kettle on the stovetop in the paper bag when we went. We played frisbee and football in the middle of the street and went to the field behind the church across the street and played for hours. We swam in the creek under the trestle and actually went to the park without an adult. I think people today are too paranoid, there isn't more stuff going on today, we are just more aware. My husband and I argue all the time about letting our daughter do things, I say let her go (she has a cell phone after all , more than we had) and he wants to keep her locked up. Oh for the "good old days". biggrin  

Kurtsmom

Kurtsmom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:50 pm
Did your parents ever send you on a snipe hunt? We used to go camping with a bunch of people from a dirt bike club my Dad was a member of ,and to get rid of us one time, they sent us on a snipe hunt. We felt sooo stupid when we found out there is no such thing. blaugh  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:51 pm
OH well, all the other geezers must be in bed. lol Night all.  

Kurtsmom

a work of art

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:57 am
i was born in 1963 so I remember a lot of that. But sadly the world has changed.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:32 pm
blaugh My town was so tiny when I was 5, we didn't even have street lights. Our house was practically microscopic. We would go home when dusk hit. I remembered my mom was so terrified that I befriended this bachelor that was like 30 something because I got a kick out of his milk jug headed scarecrow in his itty bitty garden. I ate goats milk and cheese(from his very own goats) and chatted in his kitchen with my bro and a friend or two. He was so nice. He's how I learned that farmer's will put a golf ball in a hen's nest to encourage them to lay eggs. More than 30 years later, my mom had mentioned that he was creepy or something and I protested whole heartedly explaining all of those things to her. I'm sure I stopped by more often, but the first visit and the eggs were fun for me. I helped him collect eggs too. Real nice guy. I think his name might have been Richard. I am going to be 40 in just over a month, so my memory isn't always the best. biggrin  

kristhafur

kristhafur

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:43 pm
Aww Nodijo. That's so sad about the Walmart incident. I hate it when people are cruel and rude. If there's reincarnation, maybe she'll come back as a cockroach. As was said in the movie, the Professional(Leon)-pigs are usually much nicer than people. It would be a shame if she came back as a sweet little pig instead of a cockroach.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:43 pm
You stole a lot of those from a country song. lol

"A Different World
Bucky Covington

We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are
We got daddy’s belt when we misbehaved
Had three TV channels you got up to change
No video games and no satellite
All we had were friends and they were outside, playin’ outside

Chorus
It was a different life
When we were boys and girls
Not just a different time
It was a different world

School always started the same every day
The pledge of allegiance then someone would pray
Not every kid made the team when they tried
We got disappointed and that was all right, we turned out all right

Chorus

Bridge
No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose
And every Sunday, all the stores were closed

Chorus

Chorus

It was a different world"

Coitally

dancing-in-the-streets

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:04 pm
I was mid 80s but from the kids of your generation. We played until dark, the neighbor's dad was a firefighter and it was an Awesome day when he played with us. We ran down to the riverbed every day after someone made the long walk to ask "can jared and jason play?" there was a treehouse and a dead fox and a bike trail that rocked down at the riverbed, and a baseball field if ever we had a baseball and a bat. We ran wild and climbed fences and pushed each other off them. I got spanked (and I deserved it! I knew it then) and if I talked back I got slapped. That's the way. Dinner together as a family EVERY NIGHT and school field trips and watchingthe news with my dad...

But I remember getting older too-when the boys got their first video game system and how we suddenly spent perfectly good days playing inside, when we realized that our parents didn't know everything, when the Teenagers (hear my contmept) weren't so bad...  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:01 am
heart I was born in 1957, but it was mostly the 60's and 70's and 80's as a kid,
Boy those we're the days!
heart

Remember when you wore a
User Image and loved to bake!
User Image
Yeah
User Imageand share a littleUser Image

grannygirls rose

xGarnierfructisx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:29 am
Lead paint was every where

lol yes i survive! rofl  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:49 am
I was born in 1963 on a North Dakota farm - Did anyone else swim in gravel pits? We also had a tree house, climbed trees, ate carrots straight from the garden (just rubbed the dirt off!) and yes I fell in our creek - not just once, but twice (guess I was a slow learner). IT WAS GREAT!!  

moosiklady

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:43 pm
Anybody remember doing weird stuff during the 1976 Bicentennial of the US?

It was one of the few July 4ths that I didn't spend in Conejos County... I kinda regret that.

Since I was in Colorado at the time (The Centennial State) there was an even bigger hooplah. (100 years for colorado, 200 for the declaration)

Mostly, I remember blowing up toys with fireworks (Star Wars hadn't reached us yet... in fact, I don't think it had even come out, yet, so we just detonated every piece of plastic we could find.)

Heck I was barely 5 years old at the time and I still managed to almost blow my hand off, everyone was having such a good time.

I wait, now I remember: I spent that July 4th in a housing project in either south Denver or Colorado springs. It was one of those newly-built suburbs which is more mud and run-off than anything else. There were huge king-of-the-mountain piles of building debris and drunk adults all up and down the block! I remember lots of those little icee pops, too.

But I don't remember all that much Red-white-and-Blue. Hmmmm....  
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:48 pm
I remember playing outside during the summer barefoot and not being worried that I might step on a needle or a peice of broken glass. I sure don't do that anymore.

I used to live at the edge of a greenbelt, my friends and I would walk in in the morning and not walk out til it was nearly dark, never worried about being taken away by strangers... Though, I suppose we should have been, since it was the early 90's and we lived about 5 miles away from where one of the Green River Victims went missing.

Oh well, we survived getting lost, falling out of trees, into creeks and streams, encountering wildlife of all shapes and sizes, and I think it did us good. We made bridges out of rickety 4x4's and if we slipped off we laughed at ourselves. We made our own tree forts in the actual woods, and stomped our own spiders (plus whatever else we could find). Heaven forbid we came home dirty... Ha. Granted, I was born in 86, but I lucked out. People say that the all of kids my age are soft, I might beg to differ.  

SkittlesofDoom

Old Ugly Bunny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:29 am
im 44 and Im reminded every day how much things have changed since I was a child and I hate to admit it but I find myself saying things like " when i was a kid we only had 4 channels on the TV" LOL

there was one day when my daughter was playing a lego game online and I almost felt sad becouse my brother and I had so many damn legos and we would just dumb them out and build, now its on a damn screen wheres the fun in that heh.

I also remember when i was a kid I rode my bike every where no matter how far away it was and now I freek out if my daughters walk to the corner store......damn you dateline nbc LOL  
Introduction Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff