Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply RP Retreat
"Pern" / Dragon Riders of Pern RP? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dragonriders must fly when Thread is in the sky... (a Pern RP?)
  Clear skies and fair weather (yes)
  Wherry Teeth! (no)
  I'm here for the Gather (poll whore answer)
View Results

Ifailedmywillsave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:03 pm
I've changed around my schedule for the posting of information to a more sensible one: all the descriptions of dragons and their abilities are coming first, along with the map and firelizards, so that people can read up on exactly what they're getting their characters into.

Would you like me to post an example character, those of you who've never done one of these before? I'd post it in this thread, not on the LJ.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:20 pm
yeah, even just an example would be helpful ;3
im not very up on all this pern stuffs D:  

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Maze

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:47 am
Reading that wiki almost makes me want to read the books. XD I probably will at some point, but not now.

I'm coming up with a fairly coherent character, whoo. biggrin

I'll be sure to pester someone with the draft, though. XD  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:18 am
Right you guys are busy on the day I went back to uni

Oki, Ifa I'll send that info your way

I like the idea of having a Jr Queen better, gives the Weyr a better starting point and will also raise questions as to why clutches are getting bigger even though thread is meant to be over.

HADs (Hear All Dragons), I have no issues with a few turning up but the place hardly needs to be clawing with them. HADs however usually learn to limit their abilities, Lessa being the expectation. In the offside title the girl who heard dragons the main character was a HAD and chose to shut herself off from the dragons (I think it was out of fear as people were sort of hunting her for it, she appears in the Renegades of Pern). Once she had cut herself off from dragons she never heard them again until Ruth (I think it was Ruth) spoke directly to her, which is something any dragon can do if they chose.

Riders are Searched. Usually by people who are already dragonriders who dragons have shown ability for being able to sense people who might make good riders. As Ifa said candidates are usually 10 - 20 turns old, the ideal being 16 -18 turns, depending on how tight a canon we decide to run.

As for teachers and students fraternizing it may be uncommon, but it wouldn't be considered wrong Pern has slight different morals to us... considering that by about 18 one is already well into their chosen profession.

dragonriders are known to sleep around a bit

Speaking of examples would you guys like to see some examples of how to RP a rider and their dragon as there are at least two styles I know of ? ...

Flaconscale

Flaconscale

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:35 am
Example Profiles:
(all these examples are using my Bluerider Az'uka of Nilzuth.)

Canon-istic Profile

Name: Az'uka
Birthday: m11 d22
Craft: Runner
Craft Rank: Senior Apprentice

Physical Description of Persona:
Tall dark and handsome is one of putting it. Standing at 7’2” Az’uka is well tanned and often called sun-kissed, it’s a small wonder that he hasn’t ended up sunburnt. Az’uka wasn’t always the somewhat stunning figure he has become, as a child he was scrawny and always thin around the middle, His early adult years have seen him fill out and finally grow into the lean form he processed, right down or up as the case maybe, to his board shoulder blades. His eyes twinkle with varying shades of blue. Az’uka can often express how he is feeling with his eyes, and sometimes that makes it very hard when he is trying to hide things. His face is well defined with soft lines that give him a loving and caring appearance. It’s a little too clear that his black hair isn’t always well kept; it is long and often unruly and reaches just below his shoulder blades.

Emotional Description of Persona:
Being upbeat and positive is something Az’uka does well most of the time. He is friendly and out going when it comes to everyday life. However if you upset him he can become very broody very quickly often holding a grudge of several sevendays. When it comes to be a dragon rider through he is always listening and at attention, paying careful notice to the rules, then finding out how much he can bend them. He is headstrong and loyal. His actions are often reckless and he won’t listen when it comes to being told off. Heartfelt pity to his Wingleader. Most people believe the only way to get a message through his head will be when he ends up badly wounded.

History of Persona:
Born at Far Island Weyrhold Azeuka soon found a great love for dragons, he used to watch them for many candlemarks as he grew up. His passion evolved as he began to spend some of his spare time, running back and froth with supplies for the dragon healers. Despite his father’s objections Azeuka took up an interest in the craft of Dragon healing in the Weyr. His father was annoyed at the boy to no ends, but didn’t leave the Weyr. Instead taking his anger out on Azeuka's mother.

Azeuka stood at the Weyr sands for the first time he was 12 turns of age. Finally frustrated at his Fathers abuse, his mother took Azeuka and the fled the Weyr. In his new hold Azeuka trained in the runner craft.

Two turns later a small about of business saw Azeukas path back into Far Island Weyr. He was lucky enough to be there for a hatching and at 14 turns old he was asked by a few of the Weyr folk, who knew him to stand on the sands again. A little taken back by the request because he no longer lived there Azeuka stood on the sands in the white candidate robe for the second time in his life. Standing on the sands Azeuka was knocked flat (quite literally) by the Blue Nilzuth. Azeuka became Az’uka and he quickly re-adapted to Weyr life. He sent word to his mother and spent his months as a Weyrling under his father’s rather hateful eyes

After his Weyrling training was finished his father refused to have anything to do with the boy and transferred out seven turns ago when Dream’s End Weyr was reopened, mainly to get away from his son.

Now 28 turns old Az’uka has been moved to Dragonfalls Weyr.

Family and Friends
Jenasie, 26, Senior Journeyman Dolphineer, Dolphin Hall (Sister)
Ali'dar, 66, Wingrider (Dream's End Weyr) (father)
Jeyasica, 61, Hold Resident (Mother)

Dragon's Name: Nilzuth
Dragon's Age: 15
Dragon's Colour: Blue
Description of Dragon:
Nilzuth is large for a blue and is almost the size of a small brown dragon. His hide his deep twilight blue and seems to darken, if only slight on his muzzle, tail tip and feet. He lacks none of the agility of the smaller blue dragons.

As any young dragon is Nilzuth is willing to follow orders, even when some of Az’uka’s requests area against those of their Wingleader. However he is relatively level headed and understanding to most. In fact it is often believed that he is the only that can stop Az’uka’s crazy actions.

NOTE:The formate and locations used and mentioned in this Example are not from AM's Pern they are from a fan Role-playing site that I'm a part of, Az'uka's profile is found here: Az'uka
(if you join, tell them draconafin sent you)

relaxed / base Profile
Gaia Name: flaconscale
RPC name: Az’uka
Personality: Being upbeat and positive is something Az’uka does well most of the time. He is friendly and outgoing when it comes to everyday life. However if you upset him he can become very broody very quickly often holding a grudge of several sevendays. When it comes to be a dragon rider through he is always listening and at attention, paying careful notice to the rules, then finding out how much he can bend them. He is headstrong and loyal. His actions are often reckless and he won’t listen when it comes to being told off. Heartfelt pity to his Wingleader. Most people believe the only way to get a message through his head will be when he ends up badly wounded.
Appearance: Az’uka
(I do not own this picture)
Pets: N/A

Dragon Name: Nilzuth
Dragon color: Blue
Personality: As any young dragon is Nilzuth is willing to follow orders, even when some of Az’uka’s requests area against those of their Wingleader. However he is relatively level headed and understanding to most. In fact it is often believed that he is the only that can stop Az’uka’s crazy actions.
Appearance: Nilzuth
I drew this ^^

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:41 pm
I'm working on finding my MANY characters from other sites. xd ;; I'll post two of my profiles. They tend to be more of the shortened version, though.  

Ifailedmywillsave

Josie_II

Sparkly Fairy

8,400 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:27 pm
Are the two styles you're speaking of from the stuff I sent you?

Anyway, I've had my character planned out for a while. I don't mind having to wait or compromise, but I would like a character who rides a queen. And in fact, an already-hatched queen would suit me perfectly (if you're willing to consider it). 3nodding But you want to hear my oh-so-special-I'm-a-master-writer character?

Biography:

Delain was born and raised in the Weyr in a far-from-traditional fashion. Her mother was a MasterWeaver who -using all of her feminine cunning- earned herself a place in the Weyr by repairing tapestries (and taking on several commissions before her joint disease made weaving impossible). Dara had later used her influence to earn herself a place on the Hatching Grounds, and Impressed the green Amarth (a suitable match, as many have said).

An illegimate child born to her mother after the woman had been in the weyrs of most of the male riders, who exactly her father may be is still being debated. As it is several have stepped forward to make the claim, and who wouldn't? Gifted with the best of both sire and dame, Delain is a pretty thing with honey-blonde hair, clear blue eyes and a crooked smile to make the blood boil. She is quick-witted and equally quick-tempered, and because of these has gained few friends in the Weyr. But those who know her closely understand these outward traits belie a naive, fun-loving nature. Like a fish in a pond it can only be seen when it comes to surface, but as many of them joke,"You can catch any fish with the right kind of bait." There's no doubt as to what that 'bait' may be.

Another point of interest about Delain is her family history. For several generations they have been a part of the Weaver Crafthall, and this lifestyle has entwined itself into their lives so as to become a physical trait. On average members of her family develop a degenerative bone disease that starts in the joints and gradually spreads elsewhere (much like osteopoerosis). Her mother developed it in her mid-twenties and now (at the age of forty-six) is losing even the little freedoms she has to the mercy of the disease. Delain -only twenty-two- has already begun to develop an ache in her bones, and can only speculate that her own children will be similarly afflicted at an early age.

I have an extended version; this is the rough one that I worked out of my memory. You want me to post the whole profile, or are you going to wait until you've gotten the role play running?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:51 am
Fair enough Ifa ^^

and no jlynn, I just went back and checked the ones you sent me they are similar to the base style I have seen which is common across sites; however, there are other examples where other symbols are used to express direction of speech.

Colour coding things tends to be optional though

I’d be interested in seeing a little more jlynn, she sounds interesting enough

Flaconscale

Seraphim Sins

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:18 am

Luna says :

blarg i'll send you my profile when i have some time.... things have been hectic and crazy around here

@.@

Undead Yes!
Unperson No!
Gaians against Vitalisim!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:42 pm
S'ok Luna

Its the same for me atm (hence the thread is still in the ghost stage xp )

'sides thoses were just some samples ^^

Flaconscale

Josie_II

Sparkly Fairy

8,400 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:16 pm
Delain Chernoff

Username: jlynn518

Character Name: Delain Chernoff*

*If anyone has read Dragons Dawn or owns the Dragon Lover's Guide to Pern, then you should recognize this last name from one of the first dragon riders. Family history, eh?

Height: 5'7"

Weight: 113 lbs.

Body Type: Slim

Hair Color: Blonde

Eye Color: Baby Blue

Skin Tone Pale; a shade or two darker than her mother's.

Proficiency in magic? Apprentice (learning from some of the Weyr's own magic users).

Weapons? None

Personality Snapshot (three words): Thoughtful, Assertive, Artistic

Short Biography: To learn the story of Delain is to first learn of her mother and the circumstances that brought her to the Weyr. Dara was born in Southern Boll to a MasterWeaver and his wife. For generations her family had been a part of the Crafthall, and none had chosen to leave the lifestyle that was provided for them (even though several of her ancestors had been Searched by the nearest Weyr, none ever took advantage of the opportunity). Unfortunately such was not the case with young Dara. Her own mother had come from the Hold as well, but dreamed daily of living in the Weyr. She told her daughter all the stories of dragons that she could think of and made up a few herself, though the young girl didn't know of these deviations until her later years. When the poor woman passed away Dara was left to follow in her father's footsteps, becoming the favorite of his seven children because she was the only child given to him by his late wife (the others were conceived by the widower's previous beloved). At first life in the Weaver Crafthall was sweet: she was respected in her field because of her family's prestige, and was quickly named a Master of the craft. Nothing, however, was good enough for her. Fueled by her mother's love of the Weyr Dara became obsessed with becoming a rider. Using all of her patience and seeking after every opportunity that came her way, the MasterWeaver found her way into the bed of a brown rider who had been searching the Hall for a person to help in the Lower Caverns. He took her to the Weyr and -within a month of her arrival- the crafty woman had established her permanent place among them.

Eventually, even that wasn't enough. Dara thirsted for the chance to ride a dragon, and so went to the Hatching Ground several nights a week to hunt for a place to hide, caressing eggs left and right as if that might influence them. When the time came she snuck onto the sands as a Candidate and Impressed the green Pilth. There was nothing that any rider could have done, so (rather reluctantly) they treated the deceitful temptress as one of their own. By Pilth's first mating flight Dara was already heavy with child, and the raw passion and emotion from her partner triggered Delain's early birth. Premature and "fatherless", her mother sent her to the Lower Caverns to be fostered, claiming to have too much on her hands to care for the child (though all she did was stay in her weyr and weave). Delain was given to a kindly woman named Melody, who'd just lost her own newborn.

Over the years Dara's popularity didn't grow any, but Delain's did. The slim, blonde-haired child stood out amongst the others, and within her first few years was taken on by one of the Weyr's journeyman Healers. Though her father remains unknown the girl seems to have developed the traits of both sire and dame: she is quick-witted, pretty and intelligent, but also (unlike her real mother) kindly. She might have a short temper, but even when she does snap it is followed with an apology.

One thing to note here is that Delain has not taken after her family's proficiency in the Weavercrafthall. That hardly seems to matter, though: because of the years spent hunched over a loom or making the tiniest detail of an extravagant tapestry, all of her ancestors have been victim to a degenerative bone disease that runs in the family. Her mother -only turning thirty-four this Turn- had already developed an ache in her bones by the age of twenty-six, and has retired from weaving in the past two Turns. At times the youth imagines that she has already begun to feel it starting in herself, but can never be sure that it isn't just her mind jumping the gun. It will happen, but how soon has yet to be seen.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE!

Dragon

Name: Caylith

Length: xxx

Wing Span: xxx

Color: "Newly-Polished" Gold

Personality Snapshot (three words): Flirtatious (her favorite game is to get the bronze's worked up over a "nearing" Mating Flight), Proud, Elegant

About the Dragon: xxx

Hmmm? ^^ Is this a good start for a character in the Weyr? xd  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:54 pm
That is awesome!

I'll put together some more stuff when I have some time

*just got a massive assignment*

Flaconscale

Flaconscale

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:49 am
A rough of the background that is running through my head...

comments, input - please.

Benden Weyr:
10th Pass:

How my hand shakes that I can bring myself to write that word again, it is almost admitting defeat. Both records and Harper tales speck of F’lar’s pledge to rid Pern of Thread and we all through he did. All the Weyrs of Pern had risen to fight off the threat together, the last blow coming when they launched an attack on the red star itself. Yet it would seem that the ort cloud that was left behind was not finished with us. It has been nearly countless turns since thread last fell, it is because of this that most of the Weyrs are empty. The Queens at the end of the 9th pass started clutching smaller so that dragons wouldn’t over populate Pern and with Thread gone the flights grew less and less. Yet now, I have seen the deathly sliver rain that is Thread, it has answered some questions and at the same time made more; why now and why my Noviki.

My hand refuses to stay still much longer as I moan my Weyrwoman, but it must be written. I guess our frist clue was 7 turns ago. Our Golden Liraelth clutched what was a massive clutch for her, 38 eggs in total one of which was a queen. Needless to say we were surprised. Liraelth also started to rise once every turn instead of ever three. Other Weyrs reported similar adnormalities and not a single Weyrwoman or Weyrleader on Pern could say why.

Only a sevenday ago with a clutch of 42 eggs on the sands, and another queen egg Liraelth was about to find out answer. Thread fell over Fort Weyr, over the Weyrbowl, something that has never been heard of before. Liraelth was fatally wounded, leaving my Noviki a half shadow of herself. My own Inivith was also badly wounded, but lived. We lost 10 eggs and 15 dragons. About 20 were wounded. So whichever way you look at it, Thread has returned.

And dragonmen must fly when Thread is in the sky…

A’sh
(Fort Weyrleader)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:30 am
Flaconscale (EDITED)

Benden Weyr:
10th Pass:

How my hand shakes when I can bring myself to write that word again; it is almost admitting defeat. Both records and Harper tales speak of F’lar’s pledge to rid Pern of Thread, and we all naively thought that he had. All the Weyrs of Pern had risen to fight off the threat together, the last blow coming when they launched an attack on the Red Star itself. Yet it would seem that the Oort cloud that was left behind was not finished with us. It has been countless Turns since Thread last fell, and because of this most of the Weyrs are empty. At the end of the 9th Pass the Queens started laying smaller clutches so that dragons wouldn’t over-populate Pern, and with Thread gone, there were gradually fewer flights of dragons to be seen. Yet now, I have seen the deadly silver rain that is Thread; it has answered some questions and at the same time made more: why now, and why my Noviki?

My hand refuses to remain steady as I mourn my Weyrwoman, but it must be written. Our first clue (as best as anyone can judge) came 7 Turns ago. Our Golden Liraelth laid what was a massive clutch for her: 38 eggs in total, and 1 of which was a queen. Needless to say we were surprised. Liraelth also started to rise once every Turn instead of ever three. Other Weyrs reported similar abnormalities, and not a single Weyrwoman or Weyrleader on Pern could say why.

Yet only a sevenday ago, with a clutch of 42 eggs on the sands and another queen egg, we were all given our answer. Thread fell over Fort Weyr, over the Weyrbowl, something that has never been heard of before. Liraelth was fatally wounded, leaving my Noviki a half shadow of herself. My own Inivith was badly hurt, but he's survived. We lost 10 eggs and 15 dragons, and 20 or so riders and their partners were injured. The worst of our losses were those who we looked to to forge our future: our children... young men and women... all who had been at the lake side are forever lost to us, devoured by that mindless parasite. However you care to look at it, Thread has returned.

And dragonmen must fly when Thread is in the sky…

A’sh
(Fort Weyrleader)

It's good: excellent, I should say. I went through and did some grammatical edits for you, though. "Polishing", so to speak, because no spell check in the world can catch what I can. wink You don't have to listen to me, but I'm sure that you'll find some parts flow much better. ^^

And I'm glad you like that profile of mine. It took me half an hour to edit what I'd written and make an awesome, one-of-a-kind biography. If anyone wants me to help me with their own character's story feel free to ask. heart

Josie_II

Sparkly Fairy

8,400 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Hive Mind 200

Ifailedmywillsave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Sounds like a good plan... That'll leave us with 32 eggs? That's a LOT. o.o;; Either we're going to have to do some serious recruiting, or there'll be a TON of NPCs. xd

As it is, I've posted a bit about religion and naming on the LJ. :3 Newbies, go have a look. It should help at least a little with giving a better understanding of some of the technicalities.

Still working on the rest of my list. My apologies for going so slow. Midterms arrived without me realizing they were here. o.o;; Still studying like mad.  
RP Retreat

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff