Welcome to Gaia! ::

[MADG] Hangout

Back to Guilds

Formerly the Mil-a-Day Giveaway, this guild is now a just great place to hangout and meet some new friends. 

Tags: [MADG], Hangout, friends, relax, bunnies 

Reply [MADG]: Games
The Meaning of Liff Game

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

non lo so

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:05 pm
The Book: The Meaning of Liff is a book by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd with a collection of meanings for normal, everyday things that until then had no names. They attached them to names of towns and cities.

The Game: Kind of like the (as far as I know) dead Imaginary Word Game (I was devestated!) from the WG forum. The person above you will have written the name of a town or city, you have to make up a meaning for that name, and then give the name of another town or city. Or province, state... take your pick.

Some examples from the book:
Meaning of Liff
Abercrave (vb.)
To strongly desire to swing from the pole on the rear footplate of a bus.

Meaning of Liff
Mankinholes (pl. n.)
The small holes in a loaf of bread which give rise to the momentary suspicion that something may have made its home within.

Meaning of Liff
Throcking (participal vb.)
A style of drum-playing favoured by Nigel Olsson of the Elton John Band, reminiscent of the sound of someone slapping a frankfurter against a bucket.

Meaning of Liff
Woolfardisworthy (n.)
A mumbled, mispronounced or misheard word in a song, speech or play. Derived from the well-known mumbled passage in Hamlet:

'...and the spurns,
That patient merit of the unworthy takes
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? Who woolfardisworthy
To grunt and sweat under a weary life?'

You under no circumstances have to indicate wether you have changed the word to a noun, verb, etc. since I haven't got English for a whole semester yet so I have no intention to have to think about these kind of things without being forced to. You may, though. If you're that kind of person.

First town:

Manilla. Now give us a definition and another town.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:34 am
Manilla noun.:A chocolatte flavoured mushroom.

Tirmisticali  

XxxCatbynaturexxX

[MADG]: Games

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces